Masters Running

Thurs 5/14 Masters Daily Runs and Workouts (Read 550 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good discussion on using a garmin during a race. I admit I am horrible running by feel, and I really rely on my garmin to keep me at my desired pace on long runs....not track work at all. Last fall at the beginning of my marathon I pressed my start button and took off. After about a 1/2 mile my garmin lost the satellites (tall buildings) and I then was really worried about "me" running by feel the rest of the way. I luckily found a lot of runners that were trying to run my pace, and I ran with these people as much as I could. Last Sat running my 18 miles at MP, I totally relied on my garmin to keep me between 7:50 to 7:55 pace. When I started my MP miles I was running at a effort that "felt" like my MP, but in reality I was running between 8:30 to 8:15 ave pace. To wake my legs up I ran a mile at 7:45 pace - watching my garmin - and then I was able to cruise the rest of my run. Point being - I think Bill would do great running by feel, and / or just using a lap feature on a watch. Me, I just can't seem to get the feel of paces without some sort of help - garmin, pacers, and such. I hate this, but I really am trying to get the "feel" of my MP. On general runs like I had last Sat, a garmin surely gets the paces awfully close right? If so, and a person doesn't lose satellites during a race....why is a garmin so bad to use then? (not arguing the fact, but just curious) I am still a relatively new runner, especially at the Marathon distance. So I am going to make a concerted effort to figure my paces out. Bill, I am so excited for you, with your great training...I think you are going to have a "break out" race. Holly, I totally agree with you about Twokittycat having such a great attitude...and sooo happy he stills posts here. RA would not be the same without the great guy Smile Timbo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Twocat – I just want to say that, although you have my heartfelt sympathy for being on the DL so long, I am truly grateful that you continue to stay with us and post regularly, rather than disappearing as some feel they must at these times. I very much enjoy your posts. Timbo – I think a rest day is in order and hope you are recovered fully tomorrow. Breger – I think I am way too OCD to be able to run without looking at my Garmin to check my pace every ¼-mile or so. But then, I don’t seem to have any ability to gauge my pace accurately. I'd be all over the map if I didn't stay on top of it. The "lap pace" function, along with "ave total pace" and "time elapsed" are very helpful to me in longer races. Halllar – well thought out – sounds like a good idea. Dg – your Flemish bunny yesterday was amazing! I had to show both my kids. Sue – clapping – good idea! Thunderstorms raging this morning, so I stayed inside and did intervals on the TM, watching Bedtime Stories. I got so sucked into it that I was slightly late for work. Blush Still didn’t get to see the end, either. No Workout: 1 mile WU (2 min. @ 8:00/1 min. @ 10:00) x 10 2 minute walk (1 min. @ 7:30/1 min. @ 9:40) x 5 2.3 mile CD 8 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I would run with Mr. Garmin. You're used to him. He's your friend. He will help you.
        Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Ran an easy 5 miles last night with the running club. At least it was supposed to be easy, but my running partner Kate decided we needed to pass folks at the end and ......one thing led to another and a group didn't want us to pass......so it became a race at the finish, and of course for Kate's sake, I needed to make sure we won. Roll eyes Big grin Penguins!

Runners run

lamerunner

Good morning. About 8 miles is about 62 mins, kind of like the old PBJ special. Pretty strong run by recent standards. Probably will do elliptical tomorrow to play it safe. Still some butt/hip crankiness. I have tentatively decided to try the Pineland 25k trail race, again on a pretty relaxed basis in terms of expectations. It is up in Maine a bit outside Portland. Wide trails but heinously hilly. Should be fun, something diferent. I am still not sure how much runnning I can do and stay in one piece, kind of feeling my way along. Bill, I would leave the Garmin at home... but then I don't have a Garmin! Many of my runs are completley untimed; for others I use my Timex Ironman. I don't want space aliens telling me to speed up, slow down or scale a building. Happy running or resting! Hugs to the injured reserves.
              I gave up on my scheduled LR this morning when I woke to thunder, driving rain, and wind. But by 8:30 the rain was done and the clouds had blown away (emphasis on [I]blown[/I]!), so I went out and had a good 10-miler. The wind mostly died down except for the last two miles when I had to go uphill into a very gusty breeze. Most miles were around 9:50 with the last two slowing my overall average to exactly my target: 10:00. I'm still adapting to my new BP meds, but already notice a difference. I'm going to have to re-learn my HR vs. pace zones, as I've picked up the 10bpm or so that I needed. On the old meds, it was like my body was calling for 150bpm, but the regulator was keeping it at 140, saying "I'm givin' 'er all she's got, Cap'n!" So instead of mid-130s I was doing mid-140s today, and not feeling as strained or sluggish as before. NRR: My DW and I are not big concert-goers, so last weekend's show cost us more than twice what we'd ever paid for an entertainment or sporting event, but was it ever worth it. It was Leonard Cohen's final(?) tour, and it was amazing that a guy 74 years old could hold a sold-out theater's audience in rapt attention for 3-1/2 hours with only a short break. I'm probably talking to too young of a crowd here, but if you like Leonard Cohen, and this show is coming to your city, and you can still get tickets, GO!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I would never leave my Garmin at home. I have pretty much figured out how my Garmin pace compares to reality and I adjust my desired pace accordingly. I check the distance at each mile marker to see if the Garmin error is about what I expect. I also like to have the splits available after the race so that I can analyze how I did. Having said that, I totally ignore it on hills. I know what my hill pace should feel like, and I don't want to be tempted to run the hills any faster, because it'll suck the glycogen right out of me. Of course, my race times are so close to BQ, that I really need to know how I'm doing towards the end of the race. 5 miles this morning at 10:11 pace in light rain.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Tramps, That is so cool! And poor Cousin Mark was handed his first loss of the season yesterday... fortunately he received it from The Tribe.
                  1.) That's he's back on the lam? 2.) I missed that he's your cousin. That's really cool! grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles
                    eliz4015 a busted Garmin?! My life would be over I tell you over! My only advice is order one now! Clowning around Well, actually that is my only advice. Blush
                    LOL! That's exactly what I did, right after I posted. Even paid extra for overnight shipping, and still brought it in for under $200. I might get the other one refurbished and leave it at the shore house. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Aamos! Hey! Tramps played drums with the Marshall Tucker Band. (hee hee hee) AND, I am probably more closely related to you than Cousin Mark. But with a name like "Buehrle", there's got to be a connection somewhere. In fact, one of R's brothers found the common ancestor a few generations back. In St. Louis, I think? Eliz, you make me laugh.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Lightning out there today so I went indoors on the Y track. 5 miles easy, although those turns, at 14 laps to a mile and no banking, were tough. You think H and H doesn't make a difference? Yesterday I struggled to maintain 8 minute pace doing 4 x 800 outdoors. Today I ran the 5 in 44:04 with the final mile at 7:46. Of course there is an advantage to downloading lots of useful info from a Garmin post race as with the Timex you just see the splits for the miles you hit the lap counter. I seldom miss. But the Garmin on a certified course has two compelling disadvantages for me. 1) It measures distances inaccurately, and will not be as accurate as the course measurement. The example I use is that you are trying to run an 8 minute per mile pace. You get to mile 1 and find you have run it at 7:55, but the Garmin tells you your actual distance is 1.06. If that's true, you are WAY too fast! What to do? I'll tell you what you do. You get confused, that's what, and in a race you don't need to bring along a device that is going to confuse you or take away your confidence. How many people here have run a marathon on a certified course and insist on telling us that according to their Garmin they actually ran far longer. They actually believe this! 2) The pace feature is just simply useless. We can go on and on about it, but all of you who have used a Garmin and looked at this feature know perfectly well it is the most unreliable information you have ever seen. If you have a simple lap counter watch, go out easy and hit your one mile split and check the time. There are lots and lots of miles in a marathon. You'll be fine. Spareribs
                          I didn't post yet today? I'm a metrics junky, and still too much of a noob to know my pace that well. Having said that I'm starting to learn the feel of aerobic vs. anaerobic, but I digress. I don't like running without my garmin. Ever. Doesn't count. Can't log it. It didn't happen. There, I've said it. (MTA: it doesn't confuse me in the race because I am aware of the (generally) 1% inaccuracy, and check the time against the mile markers -- since I watch the average lap pace, the error doesn't accumulate. Average pace works fine like this -- although I agree instantaneous pace is useless) Speaking of learning the feel between aerobic and anaerobic, wasn't there some discussion several weeks (or months) ago about what "general aerobic" means, from Pfitzinger perspective? I have recently read Running with Lydiard and am in the process of reading Distance Training for Masters. Putting aside his expectation that everyone will run 100 miles per week (that's not a typo), he talks about the bread and butter run being a run at steady state just below the anaerobic threshold. Isn't that marathon pace? In a light rain, 57°F, too early this morning: 9.1 miles, 1:13:12, 8:02/mi, AHR 156 (80% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ribs, case and point with me - if I was off pace and using a lap feature every mile, wouldn't that be a long way to run to find out...maybe to fast, maybe to slow. I know on my MP run last Sat, I found myself slowing slightly to 8:00 to 8:05 (not laboring or being tired though) then I would simply pick it up a little bit to stay at my desired pace. I do, I really do wish I had a better feel of running paces....especially MP Suppose with time and experience I will figure this out. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

I don't like running without my garmin. Ever. Doesn't count. Can't log it. It didn't happen. There, I've said it.
                              Respectfully, Mr. Beer, sometimes you need to live a little and just run for fun! Wink I'm sure you know the distances on your usual running routes, so on easy run days, why not leave the Garmin at home? Of course this might make you so nervous your heart rate will soar, but you won't know for sure without the heart rate monitor so you can just ignore it. Evil grin I mostly leave the Garmin at home when I run with the dogs, because with all the doggie stopping and starting, it's too much trouble. Even on auto-paws [sic], I don't feel like the time and pace are true representations of the run, so why bother? Plus, I'm slow as dirt on the hilly neighborhood roads anyway, so I don't really want to know just how slow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Prince of Fatness

Bill, leave the Garmin at home. Go out today and with all that money you make, buy yourself a simple Timex Ironman watch with lap feature and use that. The Garmin is useless on a certified course and runs the risk of simply confusing you.
                                This is what I do. I use the Garmin for training (and even then it's mainly a recording device so I can look at the data after the fact) and for races I have the Timex Ironman. For me less data is better when I am racing. Speaking of effort, and this is timely, last night I ran my first 5K of the season and did so without a watch. There was no one on the course calling out splits so I did not know what my time was until I saw the clock at the finish. I did this just to see how close my perception of 5K effort was to reality. My time was in line with where I think my fitness is so I call the experiment a success. This is something I wouldn't do all of the time, but I think it's beneficial to do it every now and then. It was an interesting, and fun, experience.

Not at it at all.