Masters Running

Saturday May 3 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 513 times)

Manchild

Well, I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately, mostly "lurking", I hate that term.. Anyway, with the voices of Tall and Ribs dancing around inside my head I ambled out for my 20 miler, my last LR before Burlington. It was overcast, cool and wet and actually began to shower just before I left at about 8:10. I wanted to leave at about the same time as the marathon is scheduled(8:05 am). I was busy yesterday leaving 4 water bottles with a 50-50 solution all around the course that I had mapped. Final time was 3:16:23, good for a slow but steady 9:51 pace, down from my pace for 18 two weeks ago of over 10:00 per mi. I was pleased and impressed with my increased endurance and feel as though I am ready for race day on the 25th! Have a great day! Can't wait to read Holly's report as well as those of others racing this weekend. Good luck! Chris Happy belated B-day to Lou!!!
    dg.

Chris, I'm glad things are going well for you. Anachrotech, you too Smile. Jeanne, yay! Twocat, good idea! What's it called? I'm just in from another round. This morning I thought I got them all. nope. They are a mutant, monster variety. Ribs, thanks for sharing what you were thinking. Helps the rest of us in that growing mileage phase to enjoy it. I'm very sorry to hear about the Saint's back. Thinking about all of you with assorted battles beyond the usual before this weekend.. Gordon, Enke, Tammy, (who did I miss?) extra happy racing vibes. speaking of which, I posted this last year but can't resist doing it again. Sarge & Holly, happy flying. better go cut the grass before the rain starts or more dandelions grow.
      btb1490

Happy Saturday, gang! Anxious about all our racers this weekend! I hope everything goes well for everyone! Holly- I'm amazed you are doing another marathon! What is this... 3 in six weeks? I'm in awe! SteveP- I'm wondering where do you borrow kids from? Good deal on the theater! YOu can't beat the price, and the experience is priceless! Mariposai- good luck to you! I hope you packed your camera! Sounds like it should be a fun day. annied- don't rush your recovery! Everyone is different. Use how you feel rather that what everyone else is doing. Ribs- good running advice from you as always. Best of luck to the Saint tomorrow! I hope she feels ok tomorrow, and I hope she checks in with a report. anachrotech- congrats with the 4 miler! It's not how fast or slow you go, it's being in the game that matters. Tallrunner- your coach would have to catch you first, with as speedy as you are, that isn't gonna be easy! dg- you and I both were doing battle with those yellow beasts today. Corn gluten in the spring works wonders. And this gizmo is the bomb when it comes to pulling them out. It's made by Fiskars. evryday- no worries about taking it easy. You've earned it! Your upcoming canyon trip should be incredible. Pictures please! rochrunner- congrats on your son's graduation! No crying allowed! Wink Jeanne- Things are looking good for your upcoming half! A little bit of a taper will get rid of those tired legs. Twocat- congrats on your return! You know you'll get it back in no time. enke- SOmebody seems excited about something... Smile I'm glad you are feeling better just in time. WRFB- happy belated birthday! Did you mix up a special batch of something just for the occasion? charleygross- aka lurkerman. Awesome run today Chris! The hay is in the barn, you are ready! runningindc- you really are depriving US by not posting. You bring a lot to this forum, and people would miss the valuable lessons you provide, not to mention the wit and charm of your posts. I reject all the reasons you gave for not posting! :P So there! I have a neighbor Gary who runs, solely for enjoyment and not to compete. Gary is a hippy artist who is stuck in the 1960's. He's one of my favorite people, his attitude about everything is just wonderful. We crossed paths on our runs this morning. He greeted me as he always does, with an enthusiastic huge bear hug. I asked him how things were, and as he pumped his fists into the air and danced around, he said "I'm like a wild deer, man. I eat, sleep, run, poop and pee in the woods and have sex." Then I got another huge bear hug and he sped off. NOt sure what to make of that, but it was fun! Amy update. She is doing relatively well. Lately she has been having eating issues though, and will unfortunately be heading back into the hospital on Monday. Her mom said it's not uncommon for kids with her condition to have these problems, but they have to be dealt with to make sure she is getting proper nutrition. A while back, I posted a picture of Amy at the charity banquet decorating a flowerpot. We later filled it with soil and planted a flower seed. One week later, here is the result: Amy and her dog Mr. Oscar I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend! Smile
          Hello all, Busy traveling and haven't had much time. I did just read a couple days of posts and see that I missed WRFB's birthday---hope it was great and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY. I also missed runningindc's great post....HELLO!!! So glad you posted and do come back often, running or not. Congrats on the master's thesis and weight loss and hanging in through this nasty PF. I loved the CNY references. I still get excited when I see a Wegman's grocery store or an ad for Kimmelwick buns and so on and so forth. Cool! Spareribs! Awesome that you are moving up to 30 mpw. Great news. I often think that 10 miles is the perfect run---long enough to test myself and yet still feel good afterwards. I am so sorry about the Saint's back issues. That's the worst. I assume you are providing all appropriate sympathy. Interesting conversation between you and vista on miles and time. I am in the serial 20 milers camp (7-8 of them in a cycle and every weekend). Although I did a 21 miler and a 23 miler over 3 hours. I am now finding good success running a workout within a long run and also reducing the disparity between my MLRs and my LRs. I was doing 16 mile mid week runs and 20 mile LRs. Not easy always and only on lighter work travel weeks. I have been running for a long time too, so I have lots of history to draw on. Mariposai! Sounds like you have a fabulous trail race to try as your first one. Somehow I think you'll float through the whole thing. Good luck Holly and have a blast tomorrow. I waved to you yesterday as I flew in and out of Dayton. As you know it was just a day trip with no running time. Cry Looing forward to May 15 when we can run together! Smile I am hoping all the Eugenians are feeling great now...the day is almost here and I'll be cheering with pride and anticipation. Good luck to you Tallrunner as you get closer to the real big race day. I ran the Ottawa half-marathon last year and ate far too much poutine afterwards (even the Ontario version is decadent!). I ran the half there in 2005 as well and had a blast. Great city and great races. Oh yeah, running.....I ran 10 miles (my happy distance) on a favorite loop at 7:30 this morning. It was rainy and sort of raw even at 48F. I felt insanely good even though I rolled in last night at midnight. Love that picture dg! Dave59, I laughed so hard after reading your post about sending cake etc. Thanks all for making me smile even when I am grouchy. CNYrunner/Karin Got my Boston finisher postcard in the mail and a thank you for volunteering letter. Keeping the memories alive! MTA: BTB!!!! Great to "see" you and Amy has got to be just the cutest. What a darling she is. So glad to read your posts again!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai – somehow I missed that you will be running this – speedy butterfly wings (and feet) to you today! AnnieD – whispering very softly, so as not to jinx myself….so far, other than a minor bout with patellar tendinitis last spring, I have been blessed with injury-free running……don't tell the gremlins....... Jlynne – good quote. Tall – 37K in the rain? Hopefully the weather turns out better than you hope. {{{The Saint’s back}}} CharleyGross – nice 20-miler! Dg – You should see the logo on the tech shirts for the Pig. Very cute. Plus, it’s actually a women’s shirt – no more sleeves to my elbows. I held it up and said, “Finally, a race shirt that I will wear!” Erika- I found one of those Spibelts that you got at the Boston Expo and love it – thanks for the recommendation. CNYrunner - I thought about you yesterday, too! BTB - great pictures!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

munchkn883

10 for me this morning and the back is feeling really good!

King of PhotoShop

CNY, what you are doing is closer to the Tinman approach, where he has you do all your quality within two big workouts a week, a long run and a medium-long run. I was doing this last year. In the long run I would do progression, tempo or wave. The medium long run had 800 or 1000 meter intervals within it. That is a good idea. Also, as you point out and what I alluded to last night, is that doing a big quantity of them is useful, so that you are really accustomed to them and trained for them. That was my reasoning behind the 3-hour limit. If you feel it isn't giving you the mileage you need, simply do them more often. Three long runs is probably not enough to run your best marathon. After Boston, you already planned to up your mileage. This is doable only for a runner who already runs a lot of miles and I think it's good planning by you. Chris, good run for you too. Yes, you are ready if those long run paces are coming down. Good luck. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Hey two feverish kids on my hands and a cranky husband ('cause he dealt with the kids all night, bless his soul!). I did squeeze in my scheduled 3 miler this morning with Renee. Was supposed to be a tempo, but ended up being a little speed play instead. Eh, I'll take it. Feeling a bit woosy myself now after staining the back deck awhile ago. Think I'll go lay on the couch with the kids and watch Sword and the Stone. Smile Happy Saturday, everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

CNY, I like your term, "happy distance." For me right now, that is 5 miles. DD10 and I were ready to go for a run while ago when we realized it was raining lightly. I was proud of her - when I suggested we just get our raincoats on, she said, "Sure!" What a trooper she is. Her farthest distance had been 4.1 miles, but she wanted to try for 5. We set out from our house and ran through a couple of subdivisions. She kept trying to figure out where we were relative to home! She got all turned around. I felt wonderful, so I was clipping right along. I checked with her often, but she said she was doing OK. We were close to home at the 5-mile mark, so we just kept running and ended up at 5.2 miles in 54:23 - a tempo run for me at 10:28 pace. I have to say, that's one of the first times I've come home from a run and told DH, "That was FUN!!" Wow. btb, thanks for posting the pics of Amy. She has to be one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen. I hope her hospital stay is very short. Teresa
                      ...btb//......What a Cutie...... ............munch-ala//.......glad the back is better....... ============ ........house things today........taking a Test Run tomorrow......'sposta Rain..... like we say Back Home ''oont ker'' .............good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

10K race today...not my best effort,but my first race of the year is done...43:23 for a 7:00 pace...went out tooooo fast with the big dogs and paid for it half way through the race.
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

GreenMan

Stretches and core work this AM followed by a few hours in the flower beds. Then I launched the kayak for a 3 hour paddle on the lake. some strong head winds headed out. about 70*, occasional drizzle. 11+ miles. It was fun. I'm not an experienced paddler but its fun. jjj
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                          evanflein

Following up Gordon's 10k "race report within the daily" crime, here's mine. Chena River Run 5k, the day was perfect, the run was not. IRC with 51F, light breeze, partly cloudy and bright sun. Legs of lead didn't want any part of my lofty sub-22 goal. Wouldn't even consider a PR today. Kiinda wish I'd had another week after Boston before this, but you get what you get. My first mile was 7:06 and it went downhill from there. Final time was just over 23 minutes, won't know official till tonight or tomorrow (will be in the newspaper, web site may be updated before... we're kinda low-key around here). I had my kids run this one with me. DS1 won his age group last year in this race. He passed me early on looking like a gazelle... but I caught him at about 1.5 mile and he said he was hurting. I told him I wasn't feeling great either, and it was ok to walk. So he did... walked the whole thing in 35 minutes (stopped a couple times too). He felt so bad about his time he took off his number and stuffed it in his pocket so he looked like a bandit. They gave him a blank tab to give to the timekeepers so bandits don't mess up everyone's times. He said he didn't even want his name in the paper. I felt bad for him, but he's gotta do his own race and make his own decisions there. DS2 felt pretty good about his time! He went out slow and picked it up to finish in 27 something. I did a warm up 1.25 mile before hand, and after we got home did another 5k on my hilly roads around here. Legs are tired... nothing hurts which is great, but I have no sproink. Hope Mariposai has an awesome run. MTA: DH bought us tickets to see Elton John!!!!! I'm so excited! I've loved that crazy guy since junior high school. I was bummed because the tickets went on sale the same time as the race start, and were expected to sell out in less than half an hour. DH dropped us off, came back home and got online to ticketmaster and bought seats! Wow, that is so cool. I was just amazed EJ was coming to Fairbanks (it's a stopover on his way back from Japan or some such place) and didn't think we'd ever get tickets. I love my DH!! Yes
                            Mariposai

Just got back from my trail race. 21.7 miles (garmin says 22.14 miles) in 4:46 minutes. That was a brutal course, but so gorgeous. So many runners from all over the place. The sunflower were not in full bloom yet, but they were so many small, dainty flowers that carpeted the hills all along the course for us runners to enjoy. I will work on the report later...ice bath, nap and cooking is in order first. Thanks for your support guys. I thought of you as I was going up and down the hills to the finish line.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

You are marvelous Mariposai and thanks for checking in---congratulations!! Ribs---I really like Tinman training and look at his web site all the time for new stuff. My training is a Tinman, Lydiard, Daniels hybrid kind of thing. Nice racing Erika---even if it wasn't what you hoped, you gutted it out and the speed will return. no worries. Sweet run for you lyndenrunner even with a fade, impressive. CNY