Masters Running

Thursday - July 3rd Daily dating/running (Read 508 times)

Healing vibes to you Erika...that does rot and when it's nice out. I used to get sick the day before every vacation (long weekend or two weeks---it didn't matter). It's almost as if my body would hold it all together while I completed office work only to relax and let down and let the virus and plague in or something. I'll hope it's just a passing thing, so you can get the break you need/deserve and the time to do the things you wish. Holly, I am hoping this next doctor has better or more specific news for you. Cyber hugs to you. Worrying about Spareribs too.... There's an interesting article about exercising in the heat and humidity in the "Personal Best" column in the NYTimes today. I just finished reading the on-line version as my reward for plowing through some reports. Anyone see the movie Office Space? TPS reports everywhere for me, but no red stapler. Over and out, Karin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, the "grass is greener" concept frequently works with single vs married status. While it's nice to have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, etc, it's also true that the companionship of marriage is a very good thing. The trick is making sure you have that companionship with the right person. Mismatches can be nothing but misery.
      Good point Erika, and why I have been single now for around 10 years. And like Tall said yesterday about being super picky...I am too, and glad I didn't rush into a serious relationship after my divorce, and fall for the "rebound" marriage thing...but geez, how long is it going to take. Sometimes I just feel like I will be single from here on out. But hey, there could be worse things like "being in a miserable relationship" like you mentioned....I have my running relationship though Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Oh Spareribs.... The Garmin 305/205 makes an EXCELLENT chronograph/stopwatch. Just hit the splits manually. It measures hundredths of seconds. I use it all the time on my PRE-MEASURED distances for speed sessions. And.. you can download the splits! The buttons are bigger and it's easier to read. Come-on get with it man Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Dave59

To those that are complaining about those few extra pounds, here is a new diet program that will help those pounds fall right off....the first item is extremely low cal and filling Shocked When looking, be sure to check out the 3 pages, not just the first. http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22177/48751-ten-foods-you-ll-find--eat-
          I've had the deep fried mac and cheese somewhere in my travels and it was good. That Krispy Kreme burger looks interesting. Roll eyes Although I'd rather have a regular burger followed by a couple Krispy Kremes.

Dave59

Dave and Nono, I don't own a Garmin either. But I don't consider myself a "serious runner" either. I smile a lot when I run. Cool
            I went through a gadget phase. I tried a Timex GPS (that had a receiver you strapped on your arm along with a watch) and I tried the Nike Footpod that required calibration on a track (or measured distance). And I still have and occasionally use an old, old, Garmin Forerunner 101. The pace feature stinks and the signal fails in the shade or on cloudy days. I just came to realize that for what I do, accuracy is not very important. And I know how the term "serious runner" can stir things up around here, so I felt it necessary to begin some stirring. But I do think that someone with a lot more motivation than me, could be very successful and competitive without ever owning a cool GPS thingy.

dg.

{{{ Erika }}} that stinks! I'm mad too. Holly, good luck!! let us know.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I guess the best thing I like about my Garmin is for my long runs where I may run a new, more interesting route, and I love to know my mileage as I go, and when I'm done. And I am running mile repeats during my long runs on Sat's, and without some sort of help, I really wouldn't know if I was hitting my pace right. But obviously, they don't work well for track workouts, which doesn't make since to me since it is GPS. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good point Erika, and why I have been single now for around 10 years. And like Tall said yesterday about being super picky...I am too, and glad I didn't rush into a serious relationship after my divorce, and fall for the "rebound" marriage thing...but geez, how long is it going to take. Sometimes I just feel like I will be single from here on out. But hey, there could be worse things like "being in a miserable relationship" like you mentioned Tim
                  The saying is......"It is better to be single and wish you were married, than to be married and wish you were single"
                  Vista

King of PhotoShop

Dave and Steve, you know I am trying to start fights, and when we argue the result is that everyone learns something. Yes, if I had to buy one thing, it would be the newest Garmin so that I could just use the lap counter feature for a race, and not be distracted by false mileage report from the GPS. But I can't figure out how someone would pay $150 or more for a Garmin and not already have a lap counter watch as the first purchase. Keeping track of your time over a known distance is a prerequisite for effective training and racing, I would think. Spareribs
                      Erika - do you ever think that we fight so hard to stay healthy because we have so much to do all the time, that when we finally get a few days off and look forward to rest and relaxation, our psyche picks up on that and tells the body it's okay to get sick? That happens to me a lot. After my DS's wedding a couple of weeks ago, I came down with the stomach crud. But the company was gone, the wedding was over and things were starting to slow down. Or, maybe it was the tomatoes... I don't own a Garmin. Run with a Timex Ironman watch and it suites my needs just fine. But, then I'm not a finely tuned athlete like the rest of you - just running for the pleasure of it. Tim - I was divorced for 2 years when I met my DH. His wife had cancer and had died 3 years before we met. He was so ready to get married again, and proposed after 6 months. I was scared!! We dated for 3 years before I finally thought I was ready to be married again (and my boys were ready to have another man in their lives). You seem like such a genuinely nice person - your match is out there some place!

Renee the dog

I have a Garmin 201 I purchased for under $100... I was just thinking about SR's TWO device part of his post. I may have 2 houses 7 blocks apart, but TWO devices??!! Pure silliness! Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

I'm having some domestic issues in addition to all else that's not working, so I'm not one to give dating or marital advice. The Saint is mad at me. We just had our anniversary and I was concerned about what to get her. She said, "Just take me somewhere expensive." So I dropped her off at the gas station. (Take that, Joey!) Spareribs
                            Yes, if I had to buy one thing, it would be the newest Garmin so that I could just use the lap counter feature for a race, and not be distracted by false mileage report from the GPS.
                            Good step forward in admitting you actually want one. Wink I think the bonus of a gps is that you can go anywhere, even the deep forest and know how far you have gone. I wouldn't say it gives false mileage reports unless you are talking about a couple meters on a track over a mile. What I like about it is I can customize the screens. And autolap, you have to admit that is cool. I am thinking of making one HUGE single field for pace tomorrow so that I can SEE the numbers as I run. Erika - that sucks. I think there actaully is some evidence that as soon as the tension of work is over you get sick. Holly - all the best with figuring this thing out.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Enke, no I don't want one. I have the original 201 for the purpose you described, running anywhere I want and knowing the approximate mileage. I believe that is a huge benefit, especially given my travel to other cities. Spareribs
                                I have an old style analog Timex watch. It even has a battery so I don't have to wind it! I just have to wait till the second hand gets to the 12 before I start my run and remember what minute I started. So far it's worked reasonably well. Good news is that I asked for a Garmin for my birthday this month. I really just want it for the distance and cumulative time. I know it's a splurge for only those features, but it's my requested present to me to celebrate "staying a runner". I'm looking forward to it. Cheers.