Masters Running

Saturday; 5.30.15 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats to Holly on DS's graduation; to TW for what must be the bittersweet departure from his store; and to WC on DH's return home from the hospital.

There was an interesting article in the WSJ yesterday about a legal case that may determine whether 'for-profit' races have to pay people to do what volunteers do at non-profit fundraiser races: http://www.wsj.com/articles/lawsuit-alleging-volunteers-are-exploited-can-proceed-1432851389 As an organizer of fundraiser races for non-profits, I have a rather biased point of view. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

9.3 RW miles in delightful 52F temps, but also some heavy fog this morning. Now DW and I are heading to our favorite dive for breakfast, and then I'll stop at the farmer's market on my way to my racewalking judging assignment (for which I'll get paid a token stipend...).

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good Morning coastwalker! Thanks for the article link, very interesting indeed!

Congratulations to your DS Holly and to all of you! "Pomp and Circumstance" makes me cry every time. Happy Day!

I was up early to track Amy as she runs up and down the intense course at the World Trail Championships. She's almost half-way up the last climb and holding steady. She's not as far up as I think she wanted, but doing amazing well in my book and with about 20k to go. T

Everyone is all abuzz here about Scott Jurek's run on the Appalachian Trail before he retires. All the local running clubs are organizing meet-ups for when he comes through this area on the portion of the AT that crosses through MA in Becket MA and thereabouts.

I am heading out now for a trail run with a few teammates. Gentle miles on what promises to be a humid and warm day.

Congratulations Tom White!

Happy weekend all.

King of PhotoShop

I'm with CNY on the automatic crying thing hearing Pomp and Circumstance.  Congrats Holly.

The rain thing here is very serious and last night we were on the national news.  I don't know how familiar you are with the geography in the Dallas area, but the Trinity River Flood Plain is almost to the brim and it's raining now. If the water goes over the edge, Dallas is in big trouble.  My course in Grapevine, TX is completely underwater, as is the park here in Coppell, so the Saint and I are waiting for this current storm to move out and we will then go out for about 6 miles, just running around the City and tip toeing around the underwater spots.  The race we were going to do today is cancelled, as are several others.

That being said, we are very lucky as we own a multi-million dollar mansion on top of a hill (not!), so no problems in our household. But many are without power with their homes flooded.  It's a sad situation.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ribs - the pictures in the relentless spam AOL inundates upon users includes some     aerial texas photos where houses and trees look like flower pots in a big pan of water. We haven’t had any rain since you left so send some back if you can.
          Jay - they even got the national guard to help immaculate the course and set up shelters (in the unlikely - ha ha - event of rain) and sign-ups for 4,500 volunteer positions at the extremely-lucrative upcoming U.S. Open Championships hosted by the Washington State Golf Association (Chambers Bay - June 15 - 21, 2015) filled up as fast as an Ironman, for which there is always a waiting list too just for the chance to experience an extraordinary athletic event as several friends do from Seattle-to-Kona every October.  However, good for the instigator plaintiffs in the case you mentioned.  I bet it took ‘em lot of guts, . . . and money.
          Speaking nonprofits that are of Dr. Renee’s expertise at the University of Oregon, thanks to Tammy and CNY for the timely Pre updates. He’s a legend out on the West Coast and I shouldn’t be surprised CNY knows too.  Today, May 30, marks the 40th anniversary of his untimely death at age 24 (he’d only be 64 today). There’re now going to be masters who weren’t even born when he was running.
          Incidentally CNY, good luck to amy but that is lousy, lousy news that someone who’s as great a runner, and neat guy, as Scott Jurek is going to “retire” (whatever that means).  If it’s like everyone else it seems, it makes me mad and kind of sad.  As Frank Shorter apparently did a couple of times, and maybe others such as Dick Beardsley may still do, it would be so easy for the elites of our sport to not stop running marathons and other events but to continue, for example, to jog along in so many marathons to give regular runners the thrill of their running lives.  I’ll have to look up Scott’s AT run and find out why.  rats.  
          MORE PRE
          Too bad it’s mostly hard-to-read light gray print on white or white print nearly invisible

on a lime gree page background but this month’s The Competitor Magazine has a
          a ten page tribute from 30+ luminaries and a finale photo of Pre’s Memorial Rock

Dr. Econo took us too to say nothing of getting to run around Hayward Field

with the goddesses too, . . . including rindaroo. 

Memories for a lifetime.

thanks Renee.

pre quotes:
          “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.”

“The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.”
          “A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in

as many ways they’re capable of understanding.”

http://issuu.com/competitormagazine/docs/201505
          fwww.competitor.com/prefontaine

.http://running.competitor.com/2015/05/features/the-fascinating-story-behind-this-prefontaine-photo_129004?utm_medium=whats-hot

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Four weeks from my half marathon and I am pretty fat and out of shape so I decided to get up early and do a 'long' run this morning.  70° humid degrees at 5:30 in the morning but no matter, I went down to the rail trail and took off.

Long for me is anything in double digits, so I planned to go out and back for 10 miles and if I felt ok, tack on another mile.  5 minutes into the run I decided that a run 5/walk 1 would be a good idea in this weather. 

I did my out and back at 10.32 miles. My hand held water bottle was empty by then, so I stopped at the car for a quick drink. Then I decided to round up to at least 11 and headed off in the opposite direction on the trail.  I ran a little bit further than I needed to hit 11, and by the time I was at the car again I was at 11.6.  I can't see being that close to 12 and stopping so I passed by my car and ran another .2 out and back to finish at 12.01.  A slow 11:00/mile pace overall.

My first double digit run in a month and the longest run since a half marathon on January 25th.

The rest of the weekend is just some more house stuff.  If everything goes according to plan, which it hasn't yet, the house will be listed next Tuesday and there's an open house a week from today.  So anything we can pack up or clean to make it look nicer is all we have left to do.

So much to catch up on  always - this is a busy group!! Who says getting older is no fun - there's plenty of that being had around here!!

Tet - I love your adventures with your GS ... I know what you mean it really is so much fun having a grandchild!! I cherish my time with Maria!!

Holly - congrats to your son!

CNY - glad you were able to get in a run with your son!

Wildchild - hope your dh heals quickly!

TomW - congrats on selling your store!

Worked a double shift yesterday and experienced the beginning of downtime as they were getting everything ready to GO LIVE with EPIC today at work!! It was crazy - hope things are going well in there today. Monday will be my first work day with the new computerized system and have to say I find it a little intimidating!

56 miles on the bike then 4 mile run today - heel seems to be making some progress and I am starting to feel like I just might be able to get through Patriot 70.3 -- might not be pretty but that's not the goal anyway!! Smile

Have a wonderful weekend friends!!

denise

evanflein

Dave, my DH calls that a "progressive run" and I've been known to do that! Well done and good luck with the house.

Not liking to hear that Dallas rain update... DH should be there later this morning if not already. Probably good that they cancelled your race, Ribs. I hope you and the Saint get your miles in.

Thanks for the Pre quotes and links, Tet. I hope Tammy's having fun with Liz and Renee. Haven't heard the name Rindaroo in quite some time!

That Amy is amazing, CNYrunner. She's just a powerhouse on those trails.

Interesting stuff, Jay. All our races around here are fund raisers for something or another, or "just for fun" events with little or no entry fee.

Kinda feels weird having the house to myself all weekend and for most of the week. Up earlier than I planned and did dishes. Will finish the garden today and start on the flowers, do some clean up around here and run for a bit. All this time on my hands and so much to do!

Came back to say Hi Deez! Sounds like you're learning to deal with the heel issue. Like OM and I said about our issues at one point (my foot, don't remember hers at the time) : learn to live with the "new normal." I hope you continue to improve though, and do well at your tri.

King of PhotoShop

EK, your husband will get here after the rain is over and other than tomorrow and the possibility of more rain, the rest of the forecast is for good weather. No worries.

Nice work Dave.

We did get out once the rain stopped and got in 6.5,but with stopping for traffic and dancing around puddles etc., it took us 1:12, over 11 minutes per mile. Still, we were happy to get in our quotas, back to back 35 mile weeks for me, no days off, but rain every day, so that was good.   Spareribs

Incidentally CNY, good luck to amy but that is lousy, lousy news that someone who’s as great a runner, and neat guy, as Scott Jurek is going to “retire” (whatever that means).  If it’s like everyone else it seems, it makes me mad and kind of sad.  

Indeed, sad news, but perhaps he's just retiring from a loaded schedule and will still be out there running and promoting the sport? This says he and his wife want a family and if he's scaling back to make that a reality, all good.

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/updated-before-retirement-scott-jurek-attempting-appalachian-trail-record

And then there is the news of the 92 year-old woman running the San Diego Marathon, so all is not lost! I love seeing Bill Rodgers at races and many other stars of yore still out there. That's my plan and with my granny's genes, I'll be moving forward in some fashion well into my 90s or at least hope to!

Wow, this place is busy for a Saturday! I thought all you folks only posted when you're on company time (like I did for years). 

TW, I hope you settle into your new routine quickly and easily. Just ask the other senior members here how retirement is going for them.

A sticky 6.2 miles this morning on the Paint Creek Trail. Ran out solo but ran back with a friend who I'd not talked with for a while. It was really warm and sticky, so I was a bit sluggish, but it did turn out to be one of the longer runs that I've done this year. And with Melissa telling me about her experience running a full marathon a couple weeks ago using a Galloway run-walk technique, I'm starting to get ideas about being able to do that HM at the end of the month after all...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wild, glad to hear your husband is back home.  tomw, great news about selling the store (I imagine it's also a bit sad).  Holly, congrats to your son.  Enjoy the open house. ribs, I'm glad to hear the flooding has not gotten to your property but I'm also sad for those adversely affected.  Nice long run, Dave.

This morning, it was about 70° and there was a light wind.  I got in 7 miles (longest of the year) at an 11:22 pace (not the worst of the year).  I'm satisfied.

TomS

Spareribs I am glad to hear you are doing okay.  I contacted a friend of mine in Houston, fortunately she seems to be fine as well.  I guess the good news is that I heard on the weather this morning the rain is finally supposed to end and stay ended for some time.  I sure hope it happens fast.

I ran 6 miles, the first 2 with the local Joggers Club.  My legs were stiff and my blood thin, but I made it no worse for wear!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Well, I was taking notes and then realized tselbs said most of what I intended, and much better.  Thanks, Tom.

hi Deez and Erika; enjoying the solitude at least a little?

Spring is too dang slow there wildchild.....

glad you got out there tc.....

I heard the story about the 92 yr old runner as I listened to Scott this  am on my run.

used to cross the AT in Hinsdale on my way to work in Pittsfield......thanks for the Jurek news.

interesting post tet.......my friend who's moving your way wants me to run Yakima next year......you ever get out that way?

And Mari, some HAs I have known don't always care about HUD regs!

18 for me and that will be the last time for a while I'll be able to start so late as the humidity will be back soon.

Hope all went well at Holly's and the cat didn't get blamed for much....anyone else know the words to Pomp & Circumstance?  Land of hope and glory, mother of the free, how shall we extol thee who are born of thee?  Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set.  God who made thee mighty make thee mightier yet......

grins from an old glee club second soprano.....yeah, no worries. ?...I'll stick with running.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  You sounded great, Amy!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Amy - with early starts to walk the distance with now 85-yo, 86 next year, co (with his same 85-yo DW)-RD Bob Dolphin, the Yakima River Canyon Marathon is one of my favorites.  Bob's  been my Marathon Mentor since, when meeting him at mile 8 of the Capital City Marathon in Olympia, Washington in May 1997 and finding out it was his 204th marathon in 15 years (vs. my 33rd in 21 years), I tried a macho retort that, "well, I've run one or two marathons a year for 20 years.  Bob just looked at me quizzically askance and wondered, "why only one a year?" I guess I’d just never thought about doing more.  I do now.  See you there, . . . around mile 15 or 16 when the regular starters two hours later start passing us.

ps erika - I’m pretty sure I’d still be pretty fast if I hadn’t run so many run-of-the-mill marathons (153) since  Equinox was my 27th in 1991 in 14 years and would have just run the Equinox once-a-year.  Some of the old gang up there still are.

great zoo'ing today before GS returns back to the southeast of erika-land.

He'll be six years old next month when it looks like I"ll be going up there for a week.
                                DD:  "dad, would you be able to watch GS at the end of June

if I get you an advance round trip (for $180)

for when DH and I are going to be out-of-town?”

No wonder I like being a GF so much.

h

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)