Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 11.8.14 (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - Great Racing!!

Jlynne - I hate cold rain....

Jay - good luck tomorrow!

C-R - congratulations on the course PR!

Mike - nice that you can run with an RA friend, and one that can keep up with you!

I painted my living room wall for the 2nd time this week, this time with a different color - the first one turned out to bright for the room.  Did you know that Sherwin Williams sells sample quarts for $4.99?  Tomorrow I will probably try one more, just a shade lighter, and then make my decision.  DH just rolls his eyes.

8 slow and gentle miles for me this morning.  Trying to catch that pace bunny.

Hey, all you that might be joining the house rental at Charlevoix - go over to the thread, look at the two houses that Erika and I are looking at, and chime in!  A decision should be made soon, just so we have a reservation locked in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I got up this morning with good intentions to do a longer run outside, but it was 39°, raining, and winds blowing 25-30 mph. I decided the track at the Y might be a better option, though it's 14 laps for one mile and that gets real old, real quick! So only 6 miles followed with 30 minutes of weights and core work. The extended forecast for next week is horrid for this early in the season. They're predicting a big snowstorm on Monday followed with HIGH temps in the 20's. Really?? It's not even Thanksgiving yet. Not sure I can take another winter like the one we had last year. Oh well - it makes you appreciate summer that much more, right?

Jlynne, you not only had our weather, but you echo my sentiments exactly! I ended up at the gym on a treadmill, which somehow I find a bit easier than a short track like that (the sharp turns really get to me after a while). I'm seriously thinking of bailing on next Sunday's 10K, especially if that big cold snap stays around until then.

Holly, you are one ball of energy! I'm with your DH on the eye rolling. It reminds me of a famous incident when I was a kid, when my dad finished painting our living room (and it was a big room), only to have my mom decide that she didn't really like the particular shade after it dried, and he dutifully went back and repainted it all. My mom was the original SWMBO, if you get my drift. 

On the bachelor-for-a-weekend front, I did make a new slow cooker recipe today, then realized that not only did I also have to do all the cleanup (we always switch off on cooking/cleanup duties), but there was nobody around to praise the meal I prepared! So I'm taking a leftover portion with me tomorrow when I drive up to visit our DS so that maybe he'll eventually tell me how good it was .

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Jlynne, I hate running in a cold rain too, a warm rain is different. Most of all I hate the wind. Our YMCA track is exactly like yours and I don't think I have ever done more than 2 miles there.  Yeah, I heard that snow is coming too but we did have a greta summer!

twocat, great BQ for you, can't wait to hear about it.  Jay, I wish I could run your race some year, hope all goes well tomorrow. Mike, I hope to get to meet you someday, glad that you got to run with SubDood.

The wind was atrocious last night and this morning so I went to the Y for weights, it has been several months since I have done that and need to get back at it. The wind was to die down by late afternoon so I worked in my sewing room, ran errands, defrosted the chest freezer and finished some reading waiting for the most ideal running conditions. I donated blood on Thursday so expected to be slow and kinda tired. I walked up the few hills, took it easy and still made it around the in less than an hour. Finally ate the cookies they gave me for donating, I stashed them in my car and needed something after the weight workout.

Say, Did miss SloHand's race report about biking across the state of Iowa in one day? I would like to hear about it. That sounded pretty crazy!

Good running and racing everyone. Bye now.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I hope you have fun fun fun, Coastwalker. Will there be treats after the race?

Jlynne, you can eat as much snow as you want. My mom doesn't care.

Oh Mariposa, that sounds so yummy! Cake is so good! Have you ever tried it with ice cream too?

Wow TwoCat, that is some run run run!

Rochrunner, I think my real dad is SWMBO. Mom calls me a boxadore because I am part boxer and part lab. SWMBO sounds like a very good breed for a dog.

Like lots of places today, it was very cold and very winding and very raining and very sleeting. When Dad let me out, I did not even want to go. I should just go potty in Dad's coffee cup like he does in my best water dish. Anyway, Mom said, "No one in their right mind would be out in this today". Great!! That means that me and Dad are going to out there first ! I kept bugging him when he was getting his swishy pants on. I needed a shirt on too and we had to hurry to go run! run! run!

When we finally got to the trail, I was telling Dad I wanted to go on the other side of the river and run in the SeeDeers Whomp. (Tag, it's a cedar swamp-SteveP). Dad said there might be hunters out there getting deer. Well, I want to get deers too and make them go run! run! run! And Mom said there were only crazy people out today. Dad said, "Exactly". Me and Dad lined up and I took off as soon as he let me!

We did not see many critters, but I sure did smell lots of them and I was going run run run crazy all over!

There is one cliff me and Dad have been past a million times. It is never very interesting except for today. I could smell something over it and wanted to go see. I fell over the edge and I got very scared.

Dad just laughed and laughed and then he went run run run away. I didn't stay and find the new critter, I had to find Dad fast!...Well as fast as dad gets anymore now that he is crazy old. It was fun fun fun, but I was very wet and was happy when Dad put the truck on and it got warm and he took my shirt off.

When we got home, Mom told dad to dig a hole so she can put her mum in. I freaked out! I love Grandma! Dad explained that some flowers are called mums. So, some dogs are called dads and some flowers are call mum and that is how we get dogwoods. Dad told Mom there is a race in Glen Arbor tomorrow and we can go after Church. I keep bugging them now because I want to go now!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Did tet do a marathon in a thong, today?

The beauty of taking nearly 12 hours to run 50K last week (22:58m/m) is that when when it only takes 7:54:12 to run 26.2 miles today, it seems fast (18:06m/m).

ps - it was s uch anice,sunny autumn day with warm pavements and soft, crunchy leaves that I took off my thongs and ran barefoot.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Ran the Longmont (CO) Turkey Trot 10K. Perfect day sunny and 40s at the start.

The damage: 38:03 for 16th overall, 1st in age group and was 2nd in masters

Race featured a lot of fast women. The first two men went 31 and 32, but third went to Laura Thweatt, last year's USATF XC winner, who ran a 33!

evanflein

Hey Trackrat, you're running with some fast company these days!

Mike E, the storm hitting Alaska was way out west, the Aleutian Islands. Remember, Alaska is really huge. That storm is going up into the Bering Sea and apparently playing havoc with the jet stream, which is why you guys are going to get walloped this next week! Our weather is beautiful, and only going to get better tomorrow and into next week.

9.2 miles today at a faster-than-intended 8:09 avg pace. Mile 8 was sub 8.... I didn't check pace at all and was very surprised when I just uploaded my run a few minutes ago. No wonder my legs felt a little tired at the end! Temp was about 18 (cooler than I expected), but the sunshine was bright and the sky mostly clear. Very nice, just had a cold chin at times. Tomorrow could be in the low 30's. Loving this!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike E, the storm hitting Alaska was way out west, the Aleutian Islands. Remember, Alaska is really huge. That storm is going up into the Bering Sea and apparently playing havoc with the jet stream, which is why you guys are going to get walloped this next week! Our weather is beautiful, and only going to get better tomorrow and into next week.

Wow, not a good time to be on a fishing vessel in the Bering Sea retrieving/saving gear and getting to safe harbor in time. 

Bering Sea Superstorm:

Hurricane Force Wind Warnings Issued Around Alaska's Aleutian Islands
                  A Bering Sea Superstorm is now developing, partially from the former Super Typhoon Nuri, and will whip up hurricane-force winds in parts of Alaska's Aleutian Islands as well as giant waves in the Bering Sea.

The ex-Nuri has joined up with the polar jet stream and a very strong disturbance in the mid-latitude belt of westerly winds, leading to explosive development of low pressure.

On Saturday morning, U.S. time, the low was analyzed to have a pressure of 924 millibars, which make it the strongest low-pressure system ever observed in or near Alaska since October 25, 1977, when a 925 millibar pressure reading was recorded on a ship docked at Dutch Harbor, Alaska. This system may also potentially be one of the lowest sea-level barometric pressures ever observed on Earth outside of tropical cyclones and tornadoes.

For reference, the lowest central pressure of Hurricane Andrew (1992) was 922 millibars. Despite the potential of a similar pressure at its peak, wind speeds in extratropical cyclones such as the upcoming storm are much lower than hurricanes, because the pressure gradient is spread out over a much larger area than in a hurricane.

ps - Alaska has four or five different climates across a width of some 2,500 miles that would stretch the state into the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans of the contiguous 48 states. No wonder there’re no RAA bike rides (or runs, .. but don’t tell erika, or francesca who ran 300 miles up there this summer or they might organize one).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

The beauty of taking nearly 12 hours to run 50K last week (22:58m/m) is that when when it only takes 7:54:12 to run 26.2 miles today, it seems fast (18:06m/m).

ps - it was s uch anice,sunny autumn day with warm pavements and soft, crunchy leaves that I took off my thongs and ran barefoot.

Nice!  Running a marathon the week after a 50K is tough at any speed!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Ran the Longmont (CO) Turkey Trot 10K. Perfect day sunny and 40s at the start.

The damage: 38:03 for 16th overall, 1st in age group and was 2nd in masters

Well done!