Masters Running

Sun 9/21 runs and good racing (Read 482 times)

Hill Runner

Good morning all, No sleeply head here I was on the road at 6 AM.. Tramps...nice 21 miler! Steve, nice 17 miler yesterday..glad to see that you're OK. 20.05 miles of hills @ 9:22 pace on a beautiful cloudy fall day,,almost perfect running weather. I got a pretty good workout this morning and I'm feeling pretty good...no aches or pains. Good running to everyone today...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I was going to check on Holly's HM today and then just found out it was yesterday. So congratulations on finishing and surviving the heat -- it was unseasonably hot up here yesterday, too. And I support your decision on attempting the marathon. Better to wait and prepare for one the right way. Bill, the results of your plan are certainly nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't give up your BQ goal, and in fact would rate you a B or B+ for a grade (do you grade on a curve?). I did the Tour de Troit yesterday, a 40-mile bicycle tour of the city along with 1100 (!) other cyclists. It was a perfect day weather-wise, and the event was very well organized. To assist with all of the intersection crossings, we had the motorcycle-mounted traffic division of the police department, and these guys really enjoyed their job. They got to stop traffic, yell at errant motorists, then zoom by us with lights flashing to get to the next intersections up ahead. So we saw it all: old grand houses from the 1920s that were on the verge of collapsing in on themselves; old grand houses lovingly restored and well-tended; empty fields "returning to nature"; new housing and condo developments; old decayed shopping strips with store-front churches; new strip-malls with current chain eateries and stores; gritty urban scenes with pawn shops and payday-loan emporiums; people waving from their front lawns; neighborhoods from upper to middle-class to near-poverty. I've seen the same things when running the marathon, so it wasn't entirely new to me, but it was a real eye-opener for those who mostly see Detroit only from along the freeways as we're heading into downtown to the theaters and sporting arenas. Considering that Detroit itself is 80% African-American, the ridership was at least 95% white suburbanites, but it shows that there is still a lot of interest in this city, and if you give people something to do and make them feel safe doing it, they will come and support it. Good running everyone! I'm taking a rest day but will hit the trails again tomorrow morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Bill-It's your first week of the plan...don't be so hard on yourself...you done good Tramps-Nice 21 miler...yum Vanilla Peter-Nice 20 for you on those hills...way to go Doug-That sounds like a nice ride...
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        evanflein

Sort of a forced rest day for me. Got on the plane at 1 a.m. and now I'm in Seattle, heading to MD for a few days for a conference. My boss and I are presenting on our wellness program Monday at 11 a.m. Hope I stay awake. Glad to see Holly is doing fine. That must've been pretty scary. Must have been the heat... Tramps, those are the best sorts of long runs. I find the really long runs aren't as much fun since I started complicating them by giving them names (wave, fast finish, etc). I like to just go run. (Tramps, that's an amazing heart rate... I think mine gets up there just walking back from checking the mail!) And Peter also had a nice long run. You guys are doing great. Doug, nice tour and I agree. I love it when old neighborhoods get restored. Sort of gives a new hope for tomorrow, I think. Jeanne, you're a good mom. Regardless of mistakes made in the past (real or perceived), the fact that this is hard for you and you have such hopes for him and what he'll discover... that's good mom stuff. Hey Mary! You and I both run on the higher end of the HR I think. Some of the rates folks report around here are just amazing... Hi Breegar! Don't give up on yourself. I think you've got it in you.... give this plan a try for awhile and see how it goes.
            Jeanne - that's a tough one. I think the time in the service will give your son some needed confidence and training for a job afterwards, though. Nice run, Tramps! That is a good quick pace, even as a "vanilla run". Holly I had a run like that last weekend -- dizzy, tunnel vision, it was awful. I think it was just heat/humidity and a bit of dehydration. Having said that, I think it wouldn't hurt to do the half in Columbus and wait on another marathon until you get more base after your injury, like you were talking about yesterday. I had 16 at MP on my plan, and I managed 16 @ 8:08/mi -- pretty darn close (3:30 marathon is about 8:00/mi). After 9 miles I had taken off my visor and hooked it into my camelback, but just after I took it off it fell off the camelback. I realized it had fallen off several hundred meters later, but didn't want to go back right then. It was there when I got back to that spot, after the 7 miles, only a little banged up by being run over by a car. 16.2 miles, 2:12, 8:08/mi, AHR 157

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bill- I like that you are reflecting on your plan and how it went, that is when true improvement occurs instead of just blindly following a program and not evaluating or listening to your body. Spent quality time with a 6 mile run with DW this morning. It was a good time to get caught up from our busy week and...she is stuck with me for the rest of the day. She may be looking for loop holes in our vows but I think they are pretty air tight.
                Jeanne---I am thinking of you today, since I know this will be tough. Hold on to hope. Karin
                  ((jeanne)) i'll keep you and your son in my prayers holly - nice job on your half yesterday, glad you're feeling better after that dizzy spell - can't believe you could get out and run 8 today after that - sounds like your injury is definitely on the mend nice long runs out there - tramps, peter, WRFB, and anyone else i missed karin - speedy and consistent as always - you are amazing!! teresa - your son is so speedy!! i think the dmv should hand out prescriptions for valium to all parents when their children get there driving permits --- i don't know how i've survived 3 but still have 1 more to go - that just might do me in!! tim - i enjoyed the coffee at 2 in the afternoon yesterday when i woke up -- still yummy!! went out for 3.65 miles yesterday in 34:50 -- my back felt good once it warmed up a little - iced it, did some abwork then got ready for a wedding ...... absolutely beautiful mass and fun reception - lots of dancing so my back held up ok!! tomS - i have a slight bulging disc at L5 sometimes it gets inflamed and pinches on the nerve root -- so annoying!! today was up early for adoration at church, then mass, now putting around then going back to bed for some more sleep before i go to work tonight!! can't wait to read more race reports!! have a wonderful Sunday all!!

denise

Berger, in your very "first" week of your new FIRST Program, your times are right on. I would give you an A-. "Drive on," as we say in the Army. Jeanne, I think your son is doing great, and you have no reason to be unhappy. He is not the first young man in the world to lack direction at this stage of his life. It doesn't matter what his reasons are for joining the military. The military will motivate him and square him away. They have hundreds of years of practice at dealing with all types of people and are very good at doing this. When he finishes basic training he will feel proud of himself, and when he finishes his hitch, he will have accomplished something and will have a lot of financial help to finish college. No workout here: training at my National Guard armory this weekend. Dark Horse
                    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                    Tramps

Perch—good to see you on the road again I noticed all the baseball haters were taking it back yesterday, saying they were just “joking.” Ribs must be twisting arms. Holly-that sounded like a tough one yesterday; I hate heat. Probably wise to hold off the full until you’re in better shape. Tim—another nice 30+ weekend. CNY—didn’t somebody around here have a personal connection to EW&F? Tammy? Byll—I’m interested in this experiment. Keep us posted. Jeanne—tough situation with your son; hopefully it’ll turn out to be a good experience for him. Peter—nice rolling hills course; I love those. Great job. Doug—that sounds cool! Lou—nice long MP run. Just finished reading the papers over brunch. I know you all have busy schedules and it’s hard to keep up so as a public service I thought I’d save you some time by summarizing some of the major news headlines of the next few years…in roughly chronological order: 1. Wall Street Bailout Much More Costly than First Estimated 2. Plans Shelved for Health Care Reform, New Energy Initiatives, and Infrastructure Investment as Wall Street Bailout Causes Budgetary “Black Hole” 3. New Report: Financial Institutions Inflated Value of Assets to Maximize Taxpayer Bailout Dollars They Received 4. Big Investors Make Billions as Government Sells Off Taxpayer-Funded Assets at Below Market Value 5. Corporate CEO Pay Skyrockets as Newly “Slim and Trim” Financial Institutions Reap Profits 6. Recent Regulatory Reforms Repealed; “Get Big Government Off Our Backs, Let the Free Market Work,” Wall Street Execs Say Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

munchkn883

Jeanne -- I'm sure your son will do great...no matter what his reasons are for joining the service. My SIL joined the Marines right out of high school b/c he had no idea what he wanted to do. When he finished his time in, he and DD1 married and he went to undergrad school and law school. He is now an attorney. I truly believe if he hadn't joined he would not have had the determination to succeed. I will keep your son, as well as you and you family, in my prayers. Will get out later to walk. Right now we are going to start painting the grandkids' room!
                          8 miles this morning...7:44 pace felt pretty smooth... Tramps-Free Market System- HA!! That's a good one...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          dg.

Jeanne, I'm so sorry your son is having such a hard time. I'll be thinking of both of you today. Perch, I love your "I think I'm making progress" 17 miler. Smile. good luck tomorrow. DickyG, I'm glad you're so much better. .. Dave & I do live in the same state. It was probably my fault.
                            ...I can beat this guy.
                            . Then you might as well! I wonder how Teresa & Sue & Arf & Divechief are doing today. Holly, I'm glad you're feeling better too. don't know how you did that, then all that work with DH, & then 8+ today. yesterday I finally got out with Sadie again... it's been a while. there were some valid reasons, but still. just 1 mile walk & 1 mile run. i was way over dressed... (like tw but without the weights) because it was cold & i didn't plan on running. She was so happy. I play with her in the backyard, etc. but it's not the same. Just ask her. today the goal was 8 miles, which felt optimistic because i could barely hold myself up on the foam roller this morning for pre-run kink erasing. .. and lower HR!! That part doesn't look too much better, but it really was. Much lower PRE, at any rate. so... 9.07 miles. Big grin ahr 165, max 179. average pace 9:56, max 7.28. 50F. & foggy by the river. Lot's of swans. 10:51 147 10:20 160 9:55 166 9:32 165 9:55 169 9:50 167 9:36 173 9:24 174 last bit was at an 8:33 pace. It's amazing to me how much difference it made going more slowly. And especially taking enough time to warm up. This might be the first run I could really (almost) call easy peasy. or is it peasey? and I didn't cough too much either. thanks so much for all the get well wishes. sometimes I'm amazed at the multi-faceted wonderfulness of this group. Tet.... the whole thing was in my Frees. Smile

King of PhotoShop

Well done dg! Dicky, if this guy doesn't know he is your arch rival, he will if he ever googles his own name and sees your post. Good luck. Tramps, where are all those baseball haters today after the Cubs clinched the NL Central? You would think they would be more gracious. Nice long run for you btw. You too Peter, well done. Bill, the guy who devised this plan, or anybody who devises any running plan, does not have some God-given insights about the "correct" times, speeds or distances. No one does. These plans are simply guides. Let go of the inner techie in you and just chalk up the week as being close enough to the guide to have gotten the job done. You did fine. Good morning Lemon Face. Five miles for me in 1:17. Now let us turn our attention to the NFL. All pumped up to lie on the couch and watch football today, and the Saint informs me we have to go to a house party from 3-5 and I have to make an appetizer!!! Aaargh!!! Spareribs
                                Hi everyone, what a beautiful day. Ran the inaugral Canadian Army Run Half Marathon today. Placed 18th overall with a new PB of I believe 1:21:26, so almost 30 seconds. I went out to fast and was dry heaving for the last 1.5K ...and walked some. But my Zone3 teammates and I raced as a team and we won with a combined team run of 1:18, my 1:21:26 and my buddy Michel's 1:22 We won the inaugral boot trophy which I have at home now to show the girls..also won a plaque and dog tag medal. Pictures for the newspapers. Will post a report in coming days. It was inspiring to run with veterans who have lost limbs, etc..in Afghanistan. 6800 runners today, sold extremely quickly...Money goes to support injured soldiers. Absolutely spectacular event, bagpipes, marching bands, The army's chief said they will 15,000 next year. And you know it will happen. Hope everyone is having a great day. Off to my friends the Bohns to celebrate. My lady friend is coming to meet them for the first time. Cheers everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently