Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 7.25.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Lots of good food talk in the Daily yesterday. I agree with Ribs that Twocat certainly knows his stuff when it comes to foods, recipes, and how different ingredients work (or don't) together.

You had a busy day scheduled after your 7-miler, Jlynne. I hope everything went well, and that you and Will and Ben had a great time together.

How are you feeling today about the Buddy Costello look, Dave? Getting used to the new glasses?

It's very nice to have you back here, Slo. When DW was on severe diet restrictions a while back, we did print cards that we took to restaurants that outlined what she could not eat. It worked then, so maybe Stumpy's idea of printed cards would work for you with the RAGBRAI explanation.

I'm glad that BlazinCajun is back running and back here

Ribs, this is the first book I've read by Hayman. I'm about half way through, and it's been a good read so far.

Twocat, you sure have a sly sense of humor! Your "tired" tale made me laugh yesterday. Nice 8er after all was said and done.

Leslie, that must have been some 'hard' sleeping yesterday! Good for you and the Hub for volunteering for the Waldo. It'll be good to have you both work it together. Good for you for already thinking of was to make it manageable for him.

Aamos, I'm also drawn to independent book stores when I visit new places, and feel an obligation to not leave without buying a book. Just before the big box book stores took off (and long before e-readers came along), DW and I spent a lot of time looking into opening a bookstore with a cafe. We visited the Northshire Book Store in Manchester, VT (still one of my favorites), and the owner, who was also the president of the American Booksellers Association, advised us not to do it unless we were independently wealthy. We weren't, so we didn't, and it turned out, sadly, to be good advice - crunching the numbers supported his recommendation. There is another great indie bookstore not too far from Twocat, in Madison, CT. A few are doing well, but most are struggling, if they are still around.

Mariposai is a gracious but tough lady, so I'm not surprised that she is handling the awful fires in WA as well as she is. Still, I hope the hard-working firefighters can get it under control quickly.

I went about 8.2 RW miles this morning, and enjoyed a nice sunrise and some delightfully cool (58F) and dry weather. The only downside was that my Garmin decided to go to sleep when I had about a mile to go. It always dies even when the indicator says I have 20% of battery life left. Worse things have happened, and it was still a wonderful workout.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks, Jay, for mentioning Twocat's post from yesterday...made me laugh, too. I get to break away every now and then from the grind at work and I pop in here real quick to keep caught up. The humor and the wit and all the other stuff that goes on helps me make it through my day. So, if I don't comment on, or acknowledge, somebody's post, don't think I didn't appreciate it. Okay--back to the grind.
      Slo

Back to the grind...for one day at least. After 4:00pm I will be on vacation.

No run this am. Thunder Boomers.

Ok, I've got some loose ends to tie up.

Later All !

Tramps

Hmmmm...server issues this morning?  I was unable to log in for quite a while.

Interesting piece on a research about grumpy old men. "Researchers found that as men grow older — from, say, 50 on — they have fewer obstacles and annoyances to worry about in life and, furthermore, they are more equipped to deal with adversity. But around age 70, life — or at least the perception of happiness — begins to go downhill."

Anyway, just an EZ 5 today on an oddly cool, yet very humid, morning.

Good luck to the weekend racers!

07/25 Deez4boyz -Ocean Park 5K, OOB ME

07/26 tetsujin - Frank Maier Memorial Marathon (Juneau, AK) - barefoot
          07/27 AamosY - the SF Marathon, SF CA

07/27 Ileneforward - San Francisco Half marathon, SF CA

(via Ilene's great thread)

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, Slo - why aren't you doing RAGBRAI?     I hope you have a greta Schmitty vacation next week - are you and your family planning anything exciting like blowing something up?

Leslie, yay for Shorty for volunteering with you!  I wish my DH would consider volunteering at one of my races - then he'd have something to do while I was running!   But then again, he's not very sociable, so he might not like it.

Twocat, running up a ski slope at high altitude sounds like fun!  When can I join you? 

Bookstores are very dangerous places.  Wonderful, and dangerous.

Mike, funny about the cooking.  I happen to know you cook a great omelet!

I'm heading out to run soon, before it gets any hotter, and before the afternoon thunderstorms.  I love working at home.

Happy trails!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

,,,mornin' guys//.........still sitting out a FlareUp.....

==========

.........SEKRET MESSAGE TO AVENGER DOGGIE......

Claire's here for the weekend and wondered if yu had any adventures to share.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

It was a make-up run today for me since work yesterday messed with dinner plans yesterday.  I also decided to break-in new pair of shoes today since plan was for 5 miles.  As a result I kept pace an easy 8:20 min mile.  Surprised by number of people on towpath this morning. I am taking vacation day today but apparently so was everyone else.  Parking lot and towpath were full of people - more than on the weekends.  Anyway temps were a beautiful 75F with no humidity so despite the crowds, it was a good run.  Overall time was 49 minutes and change.

Enjoy the day folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

King of PhotoShop

Busy day today so a quick drop-in.  3.4 miles at the park with the Saint.  Have 30 miles in for the week with tomorrow's 5K to go, so with warm up and cool down I'll get 35 for the week.  Steamer here today.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Twocat, running up a ski slope at high altitude sounds like fun!  When can I join you? 

Sounds like you're planning an easy day? 

And a random loon picture by my BIL from our lake this morning (while I'm slaving away at work)

My brother, Mark, took this nice photo this morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holy carp--I killed the daily   I didn't mean it, I swear!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

I ran 3 this morning.  Foot was ok.  Not 100% but what is anymore?

A runner was attacked and killed by 2 dogs down in Lapeer (a couple hours from here).

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20140725/NEWS01/307250015/Dogs-kill-jogger-Lapeer-County

Not quite dead Stumpy77. It is Friday that is all. Nothing to report on my end. Wacky race distance race tomorrow.

coastwalker your tired so thought fartleks was so funny that I plan on never letting you forget it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Another tired body reporting here. Still no Internet service

5 miles this morning with the Easy Pacer running at the park where over 2000 firefighters are camping.  It was an experience to see.

Then I spent most of my day translating fire notice documents for the fire headquarters.  This weekend will bring no rest for us. The community needs us all to keep moving forward.  Over 700 homes have been burned in the last week. The need is big when you consider we live in the poorest county in the state. Funny, when my DH and I were setting our family's goals two decades ago we decided that we wanted to live in the poorest county to ensure a bigger impact of our live's mission: social change and we now see that being here for such a time as this is exactly what we have worked for all these years.

Our community is working 24/7to help those less fortunate, just as it should be. I know I will be ready for a rest come relay day.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Posai, what you and your family are doing is so awesome. I love your spirit of helping and giving. You deserve a rest. Take care.

Wild, you are lucky to be able to work from home. Hope your run was dry.

Stumpy, love the loon picture. It reminds me of Minnesota. I sure wish we had them on our lake.

Slo, did you hear that another biker died at RAGBRAI? He was a 74 and found dead in his tent of natural causes.

As far as books here, I am reading The Idiot's Guide to Triathlon Training, Blue Moon by Luanne Rice and downloaded a library book for the first time - Just my luck it is the second book in a series so had better read Fallen before Torment.

Life in SW MN is sometimes dull, but not today. We have Crazy Days today and tomorrow with Main Street blocked off all the downtown stores have their merchandise in the street. They used to dress up crazy and open at 7am. I scored some bargains this morning on break and again after work. In between I spent 2 hours at the podiatrist's office. The diagnosis is Stiff Big Toe (Hallux). He gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory and explained about the surgery that is an option. MrStarr had two foot surgeries this year and is quite satisfied.

When I got back to work at the Utility Office all the phones were ringing off the hook. We had a major power outage involving about half the town. Everyone calls, of course. It was a crazy half hour but all power is restored.  Our delinquent customers got in to pay their bills thinking we cut them off for non-payment!

I was tempted to get my PJ's on after supper but changed to my biking duds and did 8 miles on the bike, a perfect route for my long run tomorrow. I should have stashed a couple of water bottles but hope to get out before it is too hot. There was a 2 year old driving a toy motorized car on the bike path with the father chasing to catch up to him. Glad I slowed way down to avoid a collision.  G'night all.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

lamerunner

Greetings. we made it to Colorado Springs, late yesterday afternoon. DD very glad to be back. We survived the trip pretty well. Ashland

Ohio the first night, Kansas City the second. I ran in Ohio, got lost,not scenic area of town but drivers polite. No run in KC, too tired. Today i ran about 8 on a trail near campus, then rented a car and hiked a little. Really tired now. DD went to visit friends in Leadville.  i really hope she gets through this ok,probably the first boy she really loved. She will see his family and climbing partner this week.

Nice loons, Stumpy. We have a bunch on Silver lake, fun to watch.

Good running everyone. Back to Nh tomorrow