Masters Running

Turkey Trots and Thankfulness (Read 44 times)

bioguy

Happy Thanksgiving Masters!

I haven't posted in what seems like forever, mostly because I haven't run in what seems like forever.....I do lift weights a bit and ride the Peleton on rare occasions, but the running shoes are gathering dust. Between teaching two places and no trying to earn a second Master's degree, I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up with important stuff life running. Anyway, I'll lace up today and jog the YMCA turkey trot.

I really am thankful for this group. A kind member noticed my absence and sent me a message; that really lifted my heart, so Thank You!

Have a great day.

PS- You might remember a year ago my youngest daughter Sarah, the ob/gyn, was in trouble herself with serious preeclampsia. Nate was born 2 months early with an Apgar score of one. Here he is at his first birthday party.

Henrun

Good to hear from you,Bioguy, and great photo of your GS. You don’t have to run to post. I’m now just a slow walker.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Bioguy! Thanks for starting the day! Your grandson is a doll baby! Nice to see him looking so good after being born prematurely.

Hi Henry!

I had my gear ready to run and was awake at 0300. Finally my body gave in to sleep again! Two 0300 mornings in a row would've been stupid. So I overslept past my desired 0500. And will go bake a coffee cake instead!

Did I tell you how fat I am these days? My favorite underpants are getting tight!

I am happy though. And there's something good about being happy

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Did I tell you how fat I am these days? My favorite underpants are getting tight!

I am happy though. And there's something good about being happy

Quote of the day!  And baking a coffee cake sounds so good.

Thanks for the start bioguy, and great to see your post.  Nate is adorable! I can't believe he's one already. Do you get to see him a lot grandpa?

Henry - you continue to be everyone's role model.

Desserts made, turkey is thawed, rolls are rising and the table is set. Expecting 10 people this afternoon. But first I'm going to go turkey trot.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving my friends.

I thought I posted yesterday but apparently not. For the record, I did 15 miles on the trainer on a route that brought back good memories of our trip to Banff a few years ago.

RCG, you really should read All the Light We Cannot See in book form. It's not as long as it looks due to very short chapters (2-3 pages) with lots of whitespace. And I'd recommend against watching the Netflix mini-series. We watched the first 30 minutes of it and in that time I spotted a half dozen big changes from the book, and not for the better IMO. A really well-written book is often difficult if not impossible to do in an AV medium.

Deeze, I am so sorry to hear about your continued struggles with Justin.

Some great posts the last couple of days from Surly and others...

For the record, my DW and I pretty much split grocery shopping, and both of us have come back with the "wrong" item that the other requested. I actually enjoy the shopping as long as I'm not given a complex coupon redemption assignment ("3 of these and 2 of those, unless they're out of ...").

Thanksgiving always reminds me of my first "serious" road race many years ago shortly after I'd met the group of experienced runners that got me into this sport. When they invited me to go along to the annual 10K Turkey Trot in downtown Detroit, the 6.2-mile distance was above my long run of 5 miles at that time. It was my intro to big-time events with 1000s of runners as we ran up Woodward Avenue between crowds that were already setting up on the sidewalks for the big parade that happens later in the morning. I had a great time and the rest is history. Hard to believe that just a year later I ran my first marathon, but that's another story...

It's also bittersweet as I remember a friend who used to organize a local Turkey Trail Trot that I ran a couple of times, and who passed away this last year. Godspeed, Geneva -- you will be missed!

And now it's almost time to start prepping for today's dinner. My brother is already on his way up from Zanesville and should be here just in time for the kickoff of the Lions game. Looking forward to seeing him and my DS for rare gathering of the family.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dnaff

I just gave the turkey a strong suggestion to get himself thawed in the next 2 hours!  Oh Butterball, you have failed me.  You said 4 days and. I complied.

The pies are done and the dog is walked.  Everything else will fall into place.  It always does.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Doug. I have read All The Light We Cannot See in book form!

It's one of my favorites!  Cloud Cuckoo Land  was the daunting one but I read it too. And loved it.

And we don't get Netflix anymore

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the, start, bioguy. Good to hear from you and about you. Thanks for the great photo of Nate celebrating #1.

We did make it to NM (and are heading home tomorrow), and have enjoyed a bit of touring, the highlight of which was a visit to White Sands National Monument. There is a lot more to the story of this trip, but I'll save that for another post. Meanwhile, I want to wish you all a joyful, stressless, and very tasty Thanksgiving (or Thursday if you don't celebrate the holiday). I hope your runs, walks, rides and other workouts are swift and effortless and help to nicely round out your day for you.

Have a greta Thanksiving/Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody!

Thanks for the start, bio.. yes, you were missed.  I am also thankful to be a part of a group that misses me when I'm gone.

Speaking of things I'm thankful for.. I could go on and on and on... which is what I like to focus on on this day, rather than the history of the day.

My family isn't perfect... we definitely, have our issues... but I am thankful for each one of them.

Debbie and I got up around 6:00, got the turkey put together and in the oven at 7:40... should be ready at 12:40... just in time for dinner at 1:00.  I have no idea how many will be here.  I am convinced that a person off the street could come in, eat dinner, mingle a little bit, and nobody would even know they weren't supposed to be there.  And, to be honest... nobody would care if they did.

I have the Thanksgiving Day Parade on the TV in the background because my mom always loved watching it... I think she's the only one who did... but it makes me smile.

Okay--that's it for now.  See ya!

Dave59

Thanks for the start Bioguy. It is great to hear and see that your grandson is doing so good after a rough start.

I tan the Huntington Turkey Trot this morning. I had a good run but I wish I would show some signs of improvement since I have been working out a little more seriously.  I ended up with about the same exact time I have run the last few 5k's.  There is a glimmer of hope in that the race was really crowded at the start. It probably took half a mile to get into a groove.

9:33, 9:05, 8:57, :56 = 28:33 over 3.12 according to Garmin.  I left right after the race so no idea on the results.

Tramps - I did watch the disappointing game last night. Maybe it is sour grapes but I think the Capitol's good streak is a bit of smoke and mirrors. Things bounce just the right way for them and the top 6 seem a bit old and slow. We'll see how things end up in 50 more games.

A bit of excitement last night in my old stomping ground. A car exploded on the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. I haven't heard much on it this morning, but it isn't thought to be an act of terror.

Happy ThanksGiving/////////

what a Beautiful Baby, nice to hear from you bio

and

Nice Splits dave//......

The Good News>>>>>>you may not have sped up, but you also didn't Slow Down

=============

30s this morning,

hope to hit the soccerfields later today

Enjoy the Day, and Safe Travels

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

A bit of excitement last night in my old stomping ground. A car exploded on the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. I haven't heard much on it this morning, but it isn't thought to be an act of terror.

On the evening news they showed a video clip of the car going airborne after hitting a median or something. It looked like a staged stunt out of Fast & Furious! Still haven't heard any ID on the two who were killed. Not many terrorists driving Bentleys so certainly some other story.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Thanksgiving!

How on earth did Nate get to be a year old!

Dave - well done, even if you wish you did better.

The grocery store wasn't too bad yesterday when I stopped for my last minute items, but you are right, Enke, it was more men than woman.  I splurged and bought a pecan pie, because surely we didn't have enough fattening food already....

Enke - a Fire Stick is a streaming device.  I did some research and got the one that was best recommended, and is supposed to have the most powerful processor and be the best to support later upgrades to your TVs/devices. The I took it to a friend's house and he programmed it for me with some apps.  I don't know a lot about it, but you can stream a zillion channels for free and also watch movies that are currently in the theaters.  My friend has no cable or pay channels, but gets it all through his Fire Stick.  It's all about knowing how to program it.  I told him after we use it for a month or so, I will bring it back to have him add more and show me more about how to use it more fully.

I had to admire my friend's new 85" TV.  Good thing that DH didn't see it....

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to DH shaking me.

"Holly!"  "Holly!"

"Whaaa..."

"Don't you need to get up to put the turkey on?"

Me, looking blearily at the clock. "It's 11:28pm.  The turkey doesn't go on until 4:00am."

So, I got up at 4, put the turkey in the crockpot with the seasonings, watched TV and had some coffee, then went back to bed for an hour or so, and got up about 6 to start the rest of the prep.  Everything is pretty much done at this point, except for the gravy and last-minute warming.

No run for me today.  I plan on doing some power lifting though.  Of my right hand and a fork.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Wow, a second post in one day. I did the ymca turkey trot with my primary goal of not walking. I have little sense of pace right now. I managed to not walk, but the organizers forgot to put out the turnaround cone ( don’t ask me how, every 5k uses the exact same route) so consequently leaders ran well past the half way point.

I ended up with3.3 miles at a 9:32 pace

thanks to holly for posting the Claire picture for me

she's 16 now

and she and DD2 are in New York for Broadway Shows, and the Macy's Parade

swanky

May be an image of 1 person and text

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....