Masters Running

Monday, December 8 Brrrrrr Cold Runs and Such (Read 512 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Timbo – that was an incredibly kind gesture yesterday – you have a huge heart. I got a free fitness ball with my contact lens purchase and it arrived this weekend. Funny thing is, it seems so big compared to those I see being used in exercise videos. Or maybe I’m just too small. At 28” diameter, it comes almost to my halfway point. Dg said I should be able to sit on it with my thighs and shins at 90 degree angles, but in fact I can barely touch the floor with my tiptoes. Roll eyes The kids of course are having a grand time with it. No run for me today – light x-training instead. I tried this lower body workout, which consists of 3 sets with about a 90 second rest in between: 1. Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R) 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R) 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) I’ll be feeling this tomorrow. Shoot, I’m already feeling this. Plus front raises, bench dips, dumbbell curls, superman lifts, side planks, and crunches on the stability ball. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Holly. We got 4 inches of snow yesterday night and the streets weren't cleared yet so I went to the Y and ran on the dreadmill this morning. I did a little progression run, starting at a 9:51 mile, ending with an 8:14 mile, 5 miles total, then some leg machines and ab work. They're predicting another snowstorm for tonight and tomorrow - 6 to 12 inches with wind gusts. Sigh...it's not even officially winter yet Sad Tim - you are an incredibly kind person. What a wonderful thing to do for a single mom with no money and lots of kids. I hope she's able to "pay it forward" in some small way for another person. Have a great Monday, everyone.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Holly, and everyone else Smile Nice X Training there this morning Holly...you call that LIGHT X training Shocked...you are a lot more disciplined with that than I am. Sweet progression run Jlynne...you really are doing Great Smile. 6 to 12 inches of snow...yuck. Not much to say this morning other than I feel great, and my foot feels pretty good also...and wish I could run Angry Very happy Erika seems to be back and had another long run yesterday, to get her 40 plus miles for the first time in a while...WTG Thanks for your nice remarks about my Walmart story, but that is NOT why I told the story. But thought people should know, I wouldn't ask others to do something that I wouldn't do myself. Well, back to the Y tonight to get back to swimming and pool running Sad Geez, this is only 37 days off running for me, and it feels like it has been months Roll eyes Have a great day everyone! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim- That was a great thing to do...We certainly struggle with our finances around here,but we always manage to pick a name from the tree at the mall and make sure they get a nice gift for Christmas...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly...Nice X-training! Jlynne .. that was a very nice progression run! Total rest and sleep in day except for some light weights and planks.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Lyndenrunner, yes, we do the same. I was so excited when the tree was up at church yesterday. What I like about our program is they give you the child's name and age and we can actually wrap the present for the child. For some reason I really like doing the whole wrapping up piece too, which is why the "drop in the bin an unwrapped toy" drives never appealed to me. I always pick the older boys, as a lot of folks seem to favor the youngest and also the females. I can't wait to go out and shop for the two I have this week! Just came back from a quick 2 miler with Renee -- it was too cold out to walk her! Big grin Little stiff from wallpapering last night -- we have our new flat screen arriving today and being installed on Wed., so the wallpaper needed to go up on the one wall yesterday. It's been about a year since we've wallpapered together, and gosh, we must be the weirdest couple on the planet, 'cause we have such a good time doing it. For anyone who's thinking Confused getting a new TV right now? Is she nuts? Well, here's the thing. Those people who sell them need to eat too. We already had the money saved and put aside. The price is lower than we budgeted. It would seem mean-spirited to me to hoard the money we have. I'm using the extra money we didn't have to spend on the TV to buy more items locally to help the small retailers and to really surprise and brighten some of my friends and neighbors holidays. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Nice x-training, running, and shopping. Easy 5.2 for me @ a sproinky 8:13. Must be those mid-20s temps. Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

DickyG

Belching and gaseous cows and hogs could start costing farmers money if the federal government decides to charge fees for air-polluting animals. The Supreme Court ruled in 2007 that greenhouse gases from motor vehicles amount to air pollution and the EPA is trying to take that ruling and apply it to farm animals. The American Farm Bureau Federation said, based on federal agriculture department figures, it would require farms or ranches with more than 25 dairy cows, 50 beef cattle, or 200 hogs to pay an annual fee of about $175 for each dairy cow, $87.50 per head of beef cattle and $20 for each hog. Alabama Agriculture Commissioner Ron Sparks was quoted as saying "Man, that just stinks." I really admire those of you who ran in frigid temps yesterday: NoNo, Tramps, Peter, Sarge, Evryday, Erika, Deb, Maine, Teresa, Larry...and anyone I missed. Personally, I have an awful time running when it's below freezing. TomS: I agree 100% with Sarge...although I'm fighting it every day, I get sick of looking at my old running logs and see how much I've deteriorated. Of the huge group of us that were running 30 years ago, there's only 4 left. My doctor is really tired of hearing my complaints on that subject. During my last physical he just looked at me and said "Look, you're still running...how many others your age can say the same thing? Just put on your jock and shut up." Also, I am in awe of all of you who can put in long miles on the dreadmill...I refuse to get on one of those things. Yesterday, we drove about an hour to a city with a big mall and did some shopping...there was a Dick's Sporting Goods store nearby and I went over there while Pam bought whatever it was that she bought. Sarge, I think you're the only one who would appreciate this. Rather than check out running gear or cold weather stuff, I immediately went to the softball dept. to check out the new bats (man, some of them are over $400!), gloves, compression shorts, batting gloves, etc. I'm ready for March. 4 untimed slow miles this morning...it was in the 20's...like I said, I am horrible in the freezing temps. ShiveringG
                    Tim, I hope to see you the next time I go Christmas shopping. Wink This morning I decided to do some Intervals which I haven't been doing since before my HM a month or so ago. So it was 4x1000 meters with 1/4 mile Rest Intervals between. A little over 8 miles altogether at 8:28 min/mile pace. The repeats came in at: 4:37 - 7:28 min/mile pace 4:29 - 7:14 m/m 4:24 - 7:06 m/m 4:32 - 7:20 m/m (max speed 26.2 mph. Yeah right, Mr Garmin ...) That last Repeat is seriously messed up. I was trying to run it faster than the others but the Garmin logged it as nearly the slowest. There is a certain satisfaction however in knowing I was running it at a max speed that would give me Marathon pace with a 1 hour finish time. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

It's great to see nono helping out the economy this way. I think there are a lot of bargains to be had -- in fact we just finally bought a blu-ray dvd play we'd been planning on buying all year, as it was on sale. I'll second (or third) the kudos on Erika's restart. It's really good to see her running again. I which all of us could be injury free now. While I didn't run this morning, I logged in to see if DickyG's current event was the call for the GM CEO ouster. I can just see the want ad for the new CEO: "Wanted: CEO for large auto manufacturer. Salary, uh, well, that's not so important, now is it?" Oh, Bill's 26.2 mph reminded me: dawndaughter1 and her husband were talking about some eurosticker they saw on the back of someone's car. It said "2.62".

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

Nice Xt and runs already this early Monday morning. Bill, great intervals there...are you still keeping the FIRST training schedule? 22 degrees, 4 recovery miles plus 30 minutes pilates and a HAPPY HEART for Erika's 14 miler this weekend. Did our African traveler posted any pictures yet? I am so glad to be back to sort-of a routine this week, including a business trip to Seattle Cool later this week. BTW: any one of the Seattle area runners want to meet up for dinner on Thursday? I was thinking about the "Wild Ginger" but I am game for any other suggestions.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

xor

Hi Mariposa-EE. I won't be around for a nice lunch, but I thought I'd add a note from the "you probably don't want to know, but maybe it would be a good idea to know" file. As of the end of 2007, the #2 restaurant in all of Seattle on the list of restaurants with the most health code violations was... Wild Ginger. I have no info regarding whether they cleaned up their act in 2008, and clearly people don't care much 'cause it is full every time I walk by it. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=469961 Blech. (the #1 restaurant on the list... by far... is a goofy burger joint that's near my house. No, I don't go there.)

6 easy miles with T...8:14 pace
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              This is a placeholder! No time to read and respond as I am rushing to a meeting, but I will post today's run: 8 miles (1:01:38) in 32 degree temps. It's supposed to be 36 here today and 61 tomorrow - crazy! Meg

Once a runner . . .

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BTW: any one of the Seattle area runners want to meet up for dinner on Thursday? I was thinking about the "Wild Ginger" but I am game for any other suggestions.
                                nice runnin' mari and very mucho gracias comadre. If okay for December nonrunners too, it'll be my 12 days of December taperin' day. Otherwise, not much to say this morning other than I feel great, and my foot feels pretty good also...and I look forward to seein' you and any others.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)