Masters Running

Tues Feb 19 Daily Runs (Read 638 times)

Tall has just returned from a week long trip to Cuba. Castro has just announced his resignation. Shocked Coincidence?
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
    evanflein

Deb, when I was coming back from horrible shin splints in 2006, I remember that first more-or-less pain-free 1.2 mile run on the treadmill... I didn't know whether to cheer or cry... Happy that I could finally start running again, sad that I had to almost start over (or so it seemed). Hang in there and you'll make it. Amy, how terrible about your friend! Things like that are so tragic... like all the precautions wouldn't have mattered. Holly, I remember trying to balance that "helping but don't do too much" effort. It's really hard sometimes. As they get older the balance gets easier, or tips the other way. There's really not much I can do for my sophomore as he's taking advanced classes with content I'm not sure I ever saw in college! All I can do is make sure the computer is there for him, the printer has paper, and stay out of his way! I didn't get any workout in last night. Not unless you count a couple hours at the high school doing parent-teacher conferences a workout! DS1 came along because he needed to get his math book (they had no school Monday or today) but he didn't want to see the teachers at first. But he came in with me for several and we had really good conversations with his teachers. I was "bustin' my buttons" proud when we left as all his teachers think the world of him with just a couple saying "he's so bright but needs to focus!" Smile Another nice mild day here (almost as nice as So Cal!) with highs in the low 40's but wind warnings for later on in the hills (where I'll be!). I will run outside, but not sure where yet... decisions, decisions, decisions....
      TammyinGP

Today is Mom's birthday. Though she's passed, we're celibrating at her favorite restaurant.
        I think that is very cool that you celebrate her birthday like that. My grandma passed on 2-22-99. gosh, it's been that long now and I still miss her terribly. Her very first birthday after her passing would have been Dec.11th and ironically, or maybe not so ironically, my son was born on that day - three weeks before his due date. He is very much like my grandma in so many ways - very funny sense of humor, loves to make people laugh, etc., although they obviously never met. Or at least they never met in real life. There were a couple occassions when he was 2 yrs old when I would hear him laughing in his room. I went in his room and he was just sitting on his bed chuckling. I asked him what was funny and he said "grandma joyce was standing there telling me a joke". hmmmmm, he never met my grandma joyce - only knew her by a few photographs I have in the house. I don't doubt for a moment that my grandma played a role in having our son born on what would have been her first bday after her passing so that we would celebrate instead of mourn. and I don't doubt for a moment that her spirit lives on inside my son.

Tammy

btb1490

Happy Tuesday gang! Roy- wow! What a great person to have at your disposal! I wonder what his definition of "good" is! Confused WRFB- crank out a good one tomorrow! breger- sounded just like the run you needed to get you back on track. Perch- pretty nice pace for some GA miles! hopeful4ever- kudo's for getting out the door that early. I'll bet it was nice and peaceful out. PDR- could it be all that easy running is paying off? Smile vista- twocat gave you a good answer to your 1 vs. 2 runs a day question. And regarding why some days we feel good and some days we don't, that's one of the most intriguing aspects of our sport. We are not machines that can be programmed. We can do absolutely everything right and still end up falling flat on our faces on race day, and conversely the opposite is sometimes true. This can either be very frustrating at times, and also very uplifting. Tim- good deal giving the legs a break. I'm with you with the rollers... just a treadmill for your bike. That event sounds painful. I'm thinking you should check out what the Stepper is all about. 100 floors of anything just sounds miserable. CNY- I sure do give you credit getting your workouts in in so many different places. I checked out your workout in your log. That's a lot of fast running! Nice! Jeanne- do they have a reserved treadmill with your name on it at the Y? Hang in there, the roads will be visible soon enough. Twocat- another solid run for you. You are a machine! Thanks for the get well. I'm like your wife, yet I stubbornly think things will clear up on their own each time. You packed for your trip? Holly- yet another solid run for you too. You sure are an inspiration for getting workouts in under less than ideal conditions. That one legged bridge exercise is tough, but a good one for the glutes. I do mine pushing off the top of a physioball instead of off the floor like in your link. dg- why was that hard to post? I'm glad you shared your great news with us all! It really made me smile! I hope things keep going well for you! Sue- another early morning cold weather trooper! WTG kicking it in at the end of your run on Sunday, you had good motivation! lynderrunner- that great that that pace feels comfortable for you! dtoce- yep, black ice here too. It's scary not knowing when you might hit it. deez4boyz- you do all that AFTER work? I'm surprised you have the energy left. Aamos- what a freaky thing to have happen to your former colleague. Sad And the run/walk thing has gotten me through many injuries, you still can manage to stay in reasonable shape doing that, and it gets you out the door! SteveP- I hope the celebration of your mom's birthday brought many happy memories. And best of luck with plan "D". Let's hope that's as high in the alphabet that you have to go. dromedary- be careful out there... don't freeze! Tongue Wink stumpy77- I don't have a good solution for shinsplints other than to be careful and know when to back off. Eventually your shins will start cooperating once they get used to it. Ribs- sounds like you are on your way back! Continued good luck to you. Teresa- congrats on conquering your 5 mile loop, and how appropriate to do it where you first began running. evanflein- your workout last night was a mental workout! I'm glad the conversations with the teachers were of the good variety! Tammy- what a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful story! I believe kids have a sense of things around them that we have lost as adults. Grandma Joyce was undoubtedly with him. Smile Thanks for sharing with us. I wasn't going to run today. Really. I know I shouldn't have. I feel like crud. But one of my coworkers asked me if I was running at lunchtime, and I just happened to have run stuff with me. He rarely runs and rarely asks to run with me, but when he does I'm more than happy to oblige, just to encourage him on. I knew it would be a very easy run (for me), so I agreed and we did a wonderful 5 miles out in the trails. The skies were a deep blue, the sun was brilliant, the air crisp and clear, out on the trails it was quite and peaceful... except for me coughing up a lung. A great run. Are my posts rediculously long? Confused Keep at it everyone!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy Tuesday gang! Are my posts ridiculously long? Confused
            Heck no they aren't too long...I'm just amazed at how much you respond to everyone Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

btb1490

Heck no they aren't too long...I'm just amazed at how much you respond to everyone Big grin Tim
              Ha! We'll I don't have anyone else to chat about this stuff with so you guys are the lucky ones. Big grin
                Well run number 2 after my days off and it does seem to be on the mend. I did stop into the shoe store at lunch to talk about my shoes. I am thinking maybe its time for a change. I have been running in Brooks GTS adrenalins since they came out and am now in the 7s. I have kind of a high arch and use an arch support. They have worked great for me and I hate to change but I researched other shoes to see if maybe there is something else out there for me. Its been a couple years since I have even tried on any other kind. I usually just go in and ask for the latest Adrenaline in my size and off I go. The owner of our local shop asked me some questions and he seems to think as do I after my research that maybe I could benifit from a more cushioned neutral shoe with better arch support. The problem is I only have 285 miles on these and usually get 350 or 400 out of them. Oh well I guess I could alternate with the new ones and prolong some usage. Anyway I am deciding between Adidas Supernova cushion 7s, Brooks Glycerin 6s or Mizuno wave rider 11s any input on these or maybe other suggestions? Steve , too bad about the job I feel your pain. My son just graduated college in December and he can't find work anywhere let alone in his field. He is out there everyday and its just a tough market. My other son has decided to join the Airforce because of all the dead end jobs he has been in the last few years. i think with the economy going south a lot more of us could be in your same boat before its over. Good Luck Caped Crusader. Amy, Sad story,Live for today you never know about tomorrow.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Thanks, everyone, for your concern. She was a formerly battered woman who went on to college, law school, and a career of representing other battered women....and raised a wonderful daughter single-handedly. And so much more. And so true--yet another example of living each day as best we can. Which is why I wanted to come back and thank you all. grins, A ps: I'm reading The Echo Maker, by Richard Powers, one of my top-favorite authors.
                  Masters 2000 miles
                    Hmmm.....that is funny about Tall returning from Cuba and then Castro resigns. Thanks for the comments on my question from earlier in the day. I have so many irons in the fire that the fire is almost out. Oh for the wisdom to know when to say "yes" and when to say "no". As a parent we teach our infant children to stop saying "No". I am convinced that this child then grows up and goes through the rest of life battling when to say "no". 4.01 miles on a cool and windy Virginia day. Thanks for all of your thread imput today and every day people.
                    Vista
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Amy - so sad about your friend. And congrats on your marathon on Sunday! You kind of snuck that one in under the radar. Deez4boys - how cool (and scary) that you committed to a tri in front of a room full of people! I don't know how you fit workouts in between your odd-hour shifts, but I guess you'll have to start swimming too??? Surprised Holly - yesterday I wondered what single-leg bridge ups were, so thanks for posting the link. I'll have to try them, and DD is always showing me new exercises she read about, so she'll want to try them too. And I know what you mean about the science project help - DD went to regional science fair three times, and to the state level once. I helped her, but made sure the work was hers. And I help her with homework, but only when she has questions, and I try to guide more than actually working out the answer for her. She's very bright and doesn't have many questions, mostly only in Trigonometry and AP English. So far, at least, she hasn't gotten ahead of me in math. Wink Steve - happy birthday to your mom. Hope you have a nice celebration/remembrance with your family. btb - I know what you mean about not having anyone else to chat with about this stuff! All you virtual friends rock! 55 degrees and sunny out today - YAY! Went for a 6 mile run at lunchtime, in shorts and tee shirt. About half the trail was dry, and half was soft snow and/or mud. Avg pace 10:30, not bad considering the conditions. One guy passed me on the first hill, and I noticed that he was WAY overdressed - tights and long sleeves under shorts and tee shirt. Then when he got to where the snow/mud started, he turned around. What a lightweight! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Don't listen to Dromedary! The conditions in So Cal right now are miserable for running; gloomy, cold, windy, drizzly. Only the most superb endurance athletes will go out in this weather!
                        SNORK! Ilene freezes out there because she's 20 pounds lighter than I am and just dying to get another running skirt photo to tease y'all with Evil grin
                          I get it now! -- just skip to btb's post for a quick summary when there's not enough time to read about everyone's day! Awesome job btb! It makes us all feel special. Kids are off school this week, meaning no daytime running for me. Off to the gym tonight for a TM run - possibly a tempo run, as the legs are feeling eager. I actually like it there at 9pm to 10pm, a different relaxed atmosphere. Aamos - sorry to hear about your friend. Tammy, you choked me up.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Geez, chatty bunch today. Smile There's no way to respond to all... CNY -- lyrical. Oh sheesh. Tongue (but thank you). I hope you get some solid home time soon. Twocat - you will love Vancouver, I'm sure. Here's another place to check out before you go. I discovered this website for Seattle recently and it has restaurants for other cities, too. http://www.urbanspoon.com/ Hallar -- I wore Adrenalines years ago (also convinced they contributed to PF I developed when I did). I've worn Mizunos for several years now and love them. Try them! dg -- baby steps. You'll get there again. Will run a few very easy miles tonight. Hills on my coach's Eugene schedule. Think I'll skip those today. Wink

Manchild

4 on the treadmill after work. I had to work late and didn't feel like donning the headlamp! Have a good evening Master Boomers! Chris
                                btb...I enjoy your posts. Good runs to all masters today. 9 miles for me at 10:01 pace. shorts and long sleeve shirt...short sleeved would've been fine I think. Beautiful
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM