Masters Running

Goodbye to September, 9.30.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, I'm also very glad that you've got golf with dad on the schedule!

TW, I'm glad you got to experience the joy (Twocat's word - I'm sure of it) of a workout in the rain after going so long without it.

Sorry I missed all your notes about the National Coffee Day offers, Aamos. A winter FL run sounds inviting. Is your DH is gong to be racewalking at the Gasparilla?

I agree with Leslie that planks are the best for core work. But it is an interesting link that TwoCat posted.

I'm glad to see you back out running so soon after the plant, Deeze.

Great pirate shot of GD2, Marj! She's a cutie...

Congrats on what appears to be a very successful install, Dave! I hope you get to relax a bit after the end-of-month work and after the medical codes arrive. There are upsides and downsides to everything, so don't be jealous of what someone else has.

Good luck putting out that brush fire, TwoCat. It seems that it should be easy to squash that, but what should be easy sometimes isn't.

Sounds like a great trip for you, Evanflein, and a tough time at home for DH. As you said: oh well.

Econo, I've also been thinking about an electric bike for my 3-mi. commute to work, and that I could also use to get to local meetings. But I've yet to do any serious investigation, which means it probably won't happen. But I appreciate your input!

Another day off today because it is pouring out, and because I dare not make my hamstring any more unhappy than it already is. Thanks for the tip on the neoprene belt, TW. If I'm not better in a couple of days, I'll look into that. Our afternoon Dune Restoration workshop has been postponed because of the wet weather. I was looking forward to the workshop, but I am so glad to have the extra time for other work. Unfortunately, tonight's Conservation Commission budget review with our Board of Selectmen is still on.

Have a greta Wednesday, regardless of your weather!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. I'm a little behind here, so thanks for the recap Jay. Holly, that is great news about your dad. I hope the weekend works out well for all of you.

Sorry your hamstring is still bugging you Jay. Maybe another rest day is not a bad thing.

How are you liking your new location Dave?

Hope you feel better today Mike!

I ran an inaugural "women's" half marathon last weekend. A great course and an awesome pre-race dinner. Katherine Switzer was the guest speaker. We take so much for granted now, it was fascinating listening to her talk about the race director trying to pull her off the course for Boston back in the day. I got a "high five" from her crossing the finish line which made my race even better. And the food at the finish line! Wraps, chocolate bars, strawberry shortcake, N/A champagne! Not the typical banana and bagel fare. The finishing medal was incorporated into a necklace on a black leather strap. And instead of the usual t-shirt, we got a nice long-sleeved hoodie that you can actually wear   The race was really planned well - not a glitch that I can think of.  I'll go back and run it again next year.

It was 41° here this morning. Ran 5.5 with the Y girls. On the trail. In the dark. We couldn't see where we were going real well. Must remember to start wearing a headlamp!

Happy Hump Day everyone!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good damp morning.  I got the extra 2% humidity I asked for yesterday.  It was only a gentle drizzle when i started and slowly evolved into a nice steady rain by the end.  Amazing how much water shorts and tee can hold.  But i didn't overheat.  and there were actually several other deranged dedicated runners out.  5.1 soaking shorts miles.

Jeanne--sounds like a fun and well done race.

Mike--I realize that Karen would be the much greater draw, but on the off chance that you do relent and add MA, I might wander out west to visit.  My sister and family live in Westfield

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - that sounds like a great race all around.

Erika - September is way too early to be dealing with that kind of weather.

I got stopped by the longest train ever on my run today.  It was moving slowly, like at a slow jogging pace, and must have been miles long.  The whole train took 10-12 minutes to go by.  Excruciating, since I was running late, and my neighborhood was on the other side.  I was actually tempted to grab a rung, climb up, and jump off on the other side (it was going slow enough I probably could have), but I thought better of it.

5.4 miles for me today in 57 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

Thanks for the link, twocat.  I don't belong to a health club here and the thing I miss most is the captain's chair.  Have to figure out a way...

Golf is brilliant!  People, especially guys, I think, do better talking about feelings when able to move around simultaneously.

Bridge run started off wonky last night; could see the rain I was running into and just felt creaky.  Took a break after 3 miles, gave self a pep talk, let my Speedster mates "pull" me along and ended up strong.  Beautiful sunset as well.  Went out again this am in celebratory red hose .  Will take tonight off.

Hello Dave!  Did YOU get free coffee yesterday??  Say, I know this goes against the plan, but maybe just make friends with some of the big house/porch folks.....then you can set a spell with 'em (or offer to housesit when they take their fancy vacations.)

Jlynne, sounds fabulous.  And KS is such a gracious lady.  She came to Elaine's initial Leading Ladies Marathon 11 years ago and hung out on the course in a similar fashion.   Need photo of you in hoodie, please!

Map shows Orlando, where Erika is, very near the top.  Yeah, again, sorry E., it's not our best side, in my opinion.

DH will most likely be racewalking at Gasparilla, Jay.  We're doing a 5K Saturday and I think he's planning on racewalking there, as his ankle wasn't too happy about all the running he did in the half in DC.  (he had a 2:28)

Also posted for CNY's benefit--as you can see, FM is BETWEEN Sarasota and Naples.  Are you fund raising?  I read where 3 of the folks on the Forbes 400 richest list live in Naples, and another in Bonita Springs, just north of Naples.

If you have time, Sanibel is off the coast and probably one of the best beaches on the west coast.

I love maps, I must say.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Got in a humid, misty 4.28 miles this morning.

Aamos - I have considered stalking some of the people on top of the hill. See who they are, what organizations they are part of, etc. and then finding a way to become friends.  It would be worth it all to enjoy their porches.

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave, I'm not sure stalking the rich neighbors is a good way to make friends, but good luck with that!

Sounds like a great race and event, Jeanne. I love the food choices - strawberry shortcake and chocolate - yum!

I ran a very sproinky 10 miles yesterday in perfect running weather - mid 50s and overcast, with the gorgeous yellow aspen lighting up the roads!   I realized I need 11 miles to end the month on a prime, so I'd better get out there!

For those of you who haven't run yet today, or who might want to get out there for a second run to end the month on a prime, here's a handy table of prime numbers:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

- I have considered stalking some of the people on top of the hill.

...it's Good to have a Hobby.....

........twocat//.........if you are doing all 3-ab exercises, try dropping one of them off,

whenever your stomach stops hurting, it was THAT one

===========

........Strong Rain and dropping temps today......

apparently

I picked National Take Your Duck to Work Day,

the city park

parking lot was literally packed when I got there, so I went home

THE GOOD NEWS-

did 20-min on my old NordicTrak Skier,,,,,,,,,,still one of the Best pieces of work-out equipment ever made

and

haven't been able to use it for about 5-years,

so

INSTANT PLAN-B

.....................good running guys

eta-

also got 1st of 2 PT sessions in

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - I have considered stalking some of the people on top of the hill. See who they are, what organizations they are part of, etc. and then finding a way to become friends.  It would be worth it all to enjoy their porches.

You could just wait until they leave for work and then help yourself to a nice porch-sit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tomwhite I have been rotating around that set of abdominal exercises for years now.  I just messed one of them up at some point and that was that.  In any event, at this point I have to wait until I heal up before doing any of them.  Last I tried, about a month ago now (!), none were pain free.

Dave59 borrow a dog.  Walk around the area with it.  If they have kids or an adult like my DW pretty soon you will have lots of neighbors from the top of the hill to talk to.  Double if you can borrow a puppy.  Kind of a reverse stalk.  

Good day to couch potato here.  Every now and then, more often now than then, it just rains buckets!  Unfortunately, it is supposed to keep this up through the weekend.  My plan is to try and run again on Saturday.  I would like to avoid carrying that plan out on a TM.  But you know the rules, "No running in the rain!"©  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

87 minute run in the dense fog this morning.  No idea how many miles, does it matter?  My Garmin has not been locking onto the satellites very well lately, and doing other weird things, and I guess this morning's fog was too much for it.  I passed my son again and chatted to him - a cute girl was close by and so I don't think DS was all that pleased I stopped.  Ha ha, love it!  It's a parent's right to embarrass their kids!

Jlynne, that does sound like a nice race!

Erika - frustrating that you are locked in like that near your hotel.

It's payday!  It is also Wednesday folks!  I get to see my sweetie.  

Took Remi back to the vet for the 3rd time on Monday, thinking he was still itching because of a food allergy.  Nope - turns out - he still has fleas!  Vet never saw them the last two times, nor did I.  I feel stupid.  She anti-flea bombed him with some kind of insta-kill drug, but I still saw a critter this morning on him.  I really need him to get de-loused for good.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

moebo

Jlynne, that race sounds awesome.

Holly, sorry to hear the train held you up, but I would LOVE to see any train, even a slow one, go by during one of my runs. It's very rare that I ever get to see one in my town, and whenever I do I get just as excited and happy as I did back when I was a little girl.

Wild, I am almost tempted to run another 2.57 miles to get to a prime number (179), but I don't want to tempt fate. I ran 3.02 this morning on the TM and was thrilled to note that my cranky hip stayed quiet the whole time. I decided that I would not run another step until Saturday.

When I tried to upload my Garmin data, I couldn't get my computer to recognize that the watch was plugged in. I looked at the contacts on the back of the watch, which is only two months old, and noticed some rust already starting to accumulate. I guess I must sweat too much! I asked my BF to see what he could do (he is a newly retired chemical engineer with all kinds of goodies in his basement),  and he cleaned it with some industrial stuff called Dyna-Chem Lube 730 Cleaner/Rust Inhibitor, and voila! Good as new. He says any contact cleaner would have done the trick, too (WD-40 makes a good one).

Sounds like an amazing half-marathon Jlynne! Very cool and a Kathrine Switzer high-five to boot!

Thanks for the map Aamos. I know Florida well from lots of work trips there, but I couldn't remember where you are located. I wish I had time for beach visiting, but it will be a work trip and to interview a client's donors. Florida is actually on the list of the top 10 least charitable states. Wealth is great, but even better when combined with charitable intent. Can anyone guess which state is the most charitable? (hint: also found in Forbes and based on IRS data)

That's a whole lot of running Mike and I understand why you left off MA if you already have it, BUT....Stumpy said he'd come down! Speaking of a lot of running, one of my teammates was the overall women's winner at the VT 50miler on Sunday (Kelsey Allen) She ran it in 8:11....roar!

I am in taper mode now, so today was a focused run, but shorter distance as I try to sharpen or peak. 7 miles with 8 x 1 minute at 5k pace with a 1 minute rest interval. Pouring rain, so lots of puddle jumping was involved.

Alarm clock is set for an early run, better catch those ZZZzzzs....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Congratulations to Kelsey!  8:11?  "Roar" is right!

A new person started at work, today, in the panel shop.  She started at 6:45.  At 8:15, I was driving her to the E.R. with a nail through her finger.  Let's see...since the beginning of the year, one guy nailed two of his fingers together, one guy chopped the end of his finger almost completely off in a wall building machine, one guy shot himself in the leg with a nail, one kid cut his hand open with a utility knife, and this woman shoots a nail through her finger.  I should probably take a first aide class.

I felt like crap all day.  I even dozed of for a few seconds at my desk.  I dragged my butt home and went through the motions of getting ready for my run...a tough 13 miler with 10 at 6:40 pace.  As I walked out the door, I told Debbie that I had no idea how I was going to get through this run.  I did my 2 mile warm up, then took off.  I honestly do not know what happened, but this was one of the best runs I've had in a very long time.  I did the 10 miles at a 6:36 pace...and it was not that hard.  I ended up doing the 13 miles in 1:29:03.

I was so inspired by my run, I almost came home and signed up for that 5th marathon in MA.

Okay--I'm starting go back into the dump--I'd better get to bed.  See ya!

evanflein

Aamos!! You know I was in Bonita Springs in May... we shoulda/coulda gotten together! Had DH with me, too! I have a coworker/friend who is retiring in December. They bought a house in Pt Charlotte and will be moving there next spring.

Holly, some people might frown on that, you know. I like tomwhite's idea of it being a good hobby for Dave.

tomwhite, aren't you glad you kept that ol' thing? I remember you using that a long time ago, what, CR days?

Mike E, a first aid class might be a good idea. Or maybe EMT training.... And I've had that where I've felt like crap, didn't want to go run, and then ended up having a great run after all. What's up with that?

Jlynne, that sounds like an awesome run with great swag. Will KS be back next year?

Karin, you keep some fast company. So what is the most charitable state? I can see why FL is not... lots of retirees focused on keeping their money. I'd think high income states like CT, MA or NY would be good for donors... Watch it's probably SD or something like that.

Struggled thru 3.1 miles this morning. A bit cooler than last night but still drippy humid by my standards. I actually got talked into doing the 5k "fun run" tomorrow, but only because they promised to have the back trail behind the gold course fully lit. I'm no dummy, I've seen those signs by the edge of the path and by the water saying "snakes and alligators live here, please don't walk here" Nope, nope, nope. If they don't have it lit, I'll just say no thanks and either go run by the road again (booooring) or go back to my room. Although I made up for not eating dinner last night with a burger, fries and beer tonight so I'd better do something tomorrow!!