Masters Running

Mother's Day Daily - 5.11.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' and Happy Mother's Day everyone!

It's great that mother's get a day of recognition, but it should be a week or a month for all they do and sacrifice for their families.

az2mntrail, what conference are you coming to Boston for? Is it the AAPD Annual Conference? If so, we'll be exhibiting there - Specialized Care Co. Nice 10-miler yesterday.

LaT, I always enjoy your observations...

WildChild, I'd say that torturous run you did yesterday was more than good enough!

We mere mortals would hardly consider a 10-miler to be 'slacking,' Perchcreek, but I can understand how you might feel that way after your 13.1X13. Great job in your comeback 5K yesterday, and congrats on the AG hardware!

Remi was hungry for some fiber, eh, Enke? Good luck in your 5K today. I hope you meet up with Goat Boy at the half you signed up for.

I'm sorry about the stumbles and the hammy/glute pain at Big Lake yesterday, Andy. Dealing with all that (and the course and the weather) and still snagging 4th in your AG is pretty impressive - congrats!

Tet, I think there are a lot of good folks here whose brains are trailing their bodies by a few years in the aging department. And I think that's a good thing!

3.1 very easy recovery miles at J o'clock this morning. My legs are still shot from yesterday's race, but I did want to stretch 'em out a bit. Yesterday afternoon, we took our nephew (Young Ben) to get some running shoes. He's been doing some short runs in some old basketball shoes, and it hurt me to see him heading out the door in those. The good folks at our local running store spent some time and took good care of him, and I think he'll be running a lot more comfortably, starting today. Now I'm just waiting for DW to wake up so we can head out to our favorite local dive for breakfast before the Mother's Day hoards start arriving.

Have a greta (Mother's or otherwise) day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Happy Mothers Day!  I wrote a drama for, today's church service talking about how you don't have to be an actual mother to have motherly qualities.  So--when I say "Happy Mothers Day", I'm including all of you.

I wanted to share a picture of my daughter and granddaughter from yesterday's run.  She is a great mother...

Okay--gotta get to church!  See ya!

Mariposai

Happy Mother's day to all the mothers. I hope you all have a fun filled day.

13.1x13!!!! Perchcreek, you are a running machine. So, how many miles do you have in your running shoes now?

Enkephalin, good choice for signing up for the half in goat boy's country. Good luck in your 5k today.

Spareribs, how is the recovery coming along?

az2mntrail, nice 10 miler yesterday. Are you training for a race?

Wildchild, strong trail runner you are. BTW, I did get in for the 11.1  Cuthroat Classic race in August. I have tried to get in for this race for many years now, so I am happy I got in this year.

Jay, good job on the race yesterday.

Welll, I am off to do some trail running as part of my mother's day celebration plan Smile.My ideal mother's day is going to involve a lot of playing in the dirt planting annuals and planting my veggie garden. I have been looking forward to this day all week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BTW, I did get in for the 11.1  Cuthroat Classic race in August. I have tried to get in for this race for many years now, so I am happy I got in this year.

that's a great mother's day present.

The 5.5 mile ascent to a scenic alpine ridge followed by 5.5 miles down the other side

is just in the right order and still one of my favorities of all these years of running.

It's like slalom skiing down the narrow trail leaping from one rock to another.

have fun.

It sure would have been odd to have my mother or grandmother say on mother's day,

"I think I'll go for a run" but I guess that's what happens

in the econo and mustang sally and others' households.

ps- don't want to mention any names but is it possible for someone

who is only 50 to be like a mother to someone who is 71?.

Happy Mother's Day running.

go enks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Happy Mother's Day to all!

I told my wife yesterday that I now know what I remind me of:  Mr. Potato Head.  Ovate body with skinny arms attached. Can't wait for my old shape to come back.

4.4 mile slow walk at the park today.

My sons will all be here for dinner and they'll help me cook a nice meal for my wife today.  We're all excited just to be together. Spareribs

10 fabulous miles with three of the Js this morning. spectacular blue sky and all abloom now.... We chattered the whole way and the miles zoomed by far too quickly! We ended our loop at Dr J's so she could join us for a cool down walk.  The five of us have 13 kids amongst us, so it was great to reunite on this day in particular.

Awesome racing Jay!  And you too Milktruck!

more super photos from Mike, thanks!

Off now to see Supergranny who first became a mother in 1930 and a great- grandmother yet again just as recently as the fall of 2013.

Happy day to all.

Sounds like a great day Ribs! So glad you are home.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Happy Mothers Day!

Very nice half by milk truck yesterday!

Tet had some questions

- the US Streak Runners Association has one mile continuous running without aids as a minimum. Some people state their own minimum like 5K etc. My minimum is 2 miles but I upped it to 4 miles last November. Today I have 1363 days,  10,709 miles (avg  7.9 miles per day)

Any day now, streaker Jon Sutherland will break the record for running everyday by hitting 45 years!!!!

(during his streak he ran 100+ miles per week...... for 11 years!

I also had a mini streak of 61 x  10+ miles to celebrate being 61 :-)

Today I ran the "P" loop with club members, all of them were Iron ladies/guys. Rochrunner knows the "P" loop. 11.8 miles of hills.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mike E

MM #5615

So...perch...did I read correctly, yesterday, that you placed in the 60-69 age group?  I did not realized you were over 60.  That just makes all of those miles you run that much more impressive...it really is incredible.

az2mntrail, what conference are you coming to Boston for? Is it the AAPD Annual Conference? If so, we'll be exhibiting there - Specialized Care Co. Nice 10-miler yesterday.

3.1 very easy recovery miles at J o'clock this morning. My legs are still shot from yesterday's race, but I did want to stretch 'em out a bit. Yesterday afternoon, we took our nephew (Young Ben) to get some running shoes. He's been doing some short runs in some old basketball shoes, and it hurt me to see him heading out the door in those. The good folks at our local running store spent some time and took good care of him, and I think he'll be running a lot more comfortably, starting today.

Jay

Jay: When my niece became interested in running, I felt the same way as she was lacing up her 'tennis shoes' .......ouch!!  She learned that having the proper running shoes was critical in her training.  Awesome RACE!!  Yes, we attend the annual AAPD and DH is looking forward to exploring his first visit to Boston! It's been a few years since I visited but it was a business trip which can limit the time needed to go sight-seeing.

It's another glorious day in northern MN 

Like Mariposal:  an easy 4 mile recovery run today was a gift to myself!! OMgosh!!  I'm jealous of your running in the Cutthroat Classic; how I miss 'those' type of trail runs!!   With nicer weather and races 'popping' up here and there, I always feel the need to stay in decent condition to run at least a 10 miler/HM 'somewhere' ........ We will be back in Flagstaff, AZ in June and I'm staying longer than DH so I'm hoping to get some TRAIL runs/races on my beloved 'cooler' high altitude trails before returning to hot/humid MN.

Perchcreek:  I echo Mike's amazement .......60-69 AG......WOW!! Incredible running!!

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!  Nice photo Mike.

Well, I did this 5K last year (Kirkland, Mother's Day), and at that time, I looked at the next up age group (50-59), and decided with a little luck, I could come back this year and place in my new AG.

But, I am 2 or 3 pounds heavier, older, and have not been running any more than I was last year at that time.  I wrote down my splits from last year, and thought....I can't beat those, no way.  I haven't run even one mile at that pace since when, October?  And then that really slow half marathon last weekend, just made me feel so out of shape.  Sad

But I did beat last's years time!!!  By about 14 seconds/mile.  Woot Woot!!!  Unbelievable.  Race day magic!

Good enough for third in my AG, and I stuck around to get a ribbon.  This is my very first AG placement (if you exclude coming in 3rd in a recreation club very small 5K that only had 3 female runners).

3/45 AG

34/346 Overall F

Note - lots of walkers

I'm so pumped....now to lose that extra 15 pounds and start training properly!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, enke!  Congratulations!

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo Enkie!  3rd of 45!  Wow!

Sweet picture, Mike!

Posie, glad you got into that trail race.  11.1 miles is an odd distance so you'll be sure to PR!

Perch, congrats on the streaking!  I think it's cool that some folks do that, but I'd worry about injury, and feeling like I HAD to go run when my body wanted to rest.

Today I'm taking a planned rest day, because I'd read the forecast for snow, and the forecasters actually got it right.  We have about 6" so far and it's still snowing.  I'm having a lovely quiet day, with a fire in the woodstove.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Some friends and I ran to celebrate the life of a race director whose race was always on Mothers Day.  He passed away a few years ago and his "festival of races" (11 M, 26.2 M, 50K) has not been held since.  Tom DeTore, whom some of you may remember as TomD, used to come over from Kansas (to Ames, IA) to run the marathon.  The RD, Doug, was a card.  He said registration was free for mothers or anyone who had ever been a mother.  Fathers had their own race--Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN.  The course has a couple of out-and-backs which together are a little over 5 miles long.  With some adding here and there (Doug would always say, No charge for any extra miles), the World Championship 11 miler (Really.  Where else do you know of an 11-miler?) was two times around the course.  I ran that today, plus 3 M with a friend who arrived late, for 14 M total.  Cool, a little rainy at the end, but uplifting.   RIP, Doug,

mrrun

Nice racing Jay, milktruck tselbs & enke (& anyone I missed)!  and lots of good running for everyone else!

Happy mothers day to all!

I had an awesome day - met my DD & DS & 3 grandkids in Newburyport on a bike trail.  My DD & I ran, the Gd&Gs biked & DS rollerbladed.  from now on we all bike, as the little(?) ones are getting too fast on their bikes.  I was doing incredible sprint workouts.  It's a short but awesome trail with lots of sculpture.  we then lunched in newburyport and retraced our steps.  My DD said her friends were cooking or taking their mom's out, but she knew I'd rather exercise!

and now it's time to settle back with some wine and the sunday newpapers!

enjoy the rest of your day everyone!

marj

mta added pic.  good thing mine don't know about claire and annabelle and ice cream

...what a BeautifulFamily you have mikeE//////

===========

...30min bikre ride..........still going easty

Mother'sDay Choir

was kinda ''sucky'' (a musical expression)

but

here is last week's Anthem

which

we dedicated to our minister

(one of my hiking buddies, who just got diagnosed with Parkinson's)

http://firstprescookeville.org/Audio_files/Music/Spring%202014/Spring14Music.html

hope you enjoy it, HappyMother'sDay

.....and good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....