Masters Running

Charleston Distance Run 15 miler report- Karen's Version (Read 28 times)

I have a really good lawyer friend (of 2 years) who lives in Charleston.  We talk every day.  To say he is not athletic would be an understatement.  It was his firm that invited Ken and me to Banff for that legal conference.  His law partner (age 78-  my friend is 62) is the race director of this race.  Last year they gave me a race t-shirt for my September birthday (70) and I said I would run the race this year.  Keith (my friend) thinks I'm basically an Olympian, so I managed to put even more pressure on myself than usual. I was my usual pre-race week (well, maybe longer than that)wreck, especially since I knew it was a hard course.   This is exactly the kind of race I like, though-  not big (350 or so finishers in the 15 miler, which is the main race.  There is a 5K, too.)  Challenging and unique- it's the only 15 mile race in the country.

I met Dave at packet pickup and we met John Palmer, the race director.  He runs the 15 miler at age 78, even after all the chaos of getting the race pulled together.  Race headquarters is basically John and Keith's law firm.    Ken and I stayed at a hotel downtown the first night so we would be closer to the start.  Ken took his bike and it turned out it was a perfect course for him to get around on the bike, since it wasn't a big field and there were a lot of roads with almost no traffic.

As Dave said, first 5 miles or so are flat and not bad.  Then there is a long climb which I was able to run until we turned a corner and it got too steep.  The long climb is called Capital Punishment.  I didn't walk too much on the steep part, but I did walk.  There was a lot of roll for the next few miles and some steep downhills which were fun but I knew we would pay later.  At about half way ( 7.5 or so) we were back in town and on flat- but it was sunny and warm by then and I knew it would be tough.  I was running with two younger guys.  TONS of aid stations, ice and sprays.  The race was really well administered.  I kept telling myself it was OK to walk, but then I would say "One more mile of only running..."  I could look down at the tattoo on my forearm that says "I can do hard things."  That helped.  I wanted to win the age group- not so much for the $75 prize money, but to impress my friends!  Smile   I had NO idea where the other women in my age group were, but I knew I was running the best I could, and if someone could beat me, they deserved it.

The last mile felt tough, but throughout the race, only miles 5, 6 and 7 were not in the 10s (the hills). Mile 8 was 9:49 (downhill) and 9 through 14 were in the 10:30s with a 10:01 final mile.  We finished on a track, which felt good.  I got 15.09 on my Garmin.  I tried to run the tangents. I watched Dave finish and then race director John Palmer finish.  I beat my competition by quite a bit, so that was good.

We got good swag- a mug, poster, t-shirt (it's black which I don't like but I bought a long sleeved shirt that is light grey), a cooling towel and a few other things.  I was so glad it was over.  The finisher medal is really nice.   It was my first race running for my Rabbit team, so I didn't want to lay an egg.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Legs are tired and quads are a bit sore- but not as bad as I expected with the downhills.

I'm glad it's over!

Here's post-race with my friend Keith and my bike support, Ken.

May be an image of 3 people and text

Looking not very good in the finishing stretch.

May be an image of 6 people and text that says '5:16 facebook.com 59% τι 14 TriStateRacer.com'

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Great report, Karen!  Congrtaulations!

SteveP

KSA - You impressed your friends.  Well done speedster.

SteveP

KSA - You impressed your friends.  Well done speedster.

Including your RA friends of course. Congratulations!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Very impressive.

Next time you come to Charleston we can do the Parkrun and I can keep up with you.

Tramps

Good racing and nice report!  Congrats!

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, all.  Yes, Dave- that would be fun.  Where does it start and finish?  (I could tell from your Strava if I went and looked)

The last time I raced with a business friend watching the race was in 1994 or so (whenever it was the Phillies were in the World Series) at Columbus Marathon.  I was SO afraid I would throw up at the finish line!

Dave59

Thanks, all.  Yes, Dave- that would be fun.  Where does it start and finish?  (I could tell from your Strava if I went and looked)

It is along the Kanawha River but a block or 2 west of where your hotel was. It starts and ends on Magic Island (which isn't really an island). The scenery isn't as nice as where you were running in Charleston, but they redid the path along the river. They made it wider and landscaped it.

From their Facebook page:

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/308454491_471853898321349_6460905723815297742_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=52f669&_nc_ohc=U4LVK1JwylAAX9QqOJS&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBetFuYNv9PM3JuOc_l_ueiRpphdklbtbwghMLI0FHJ4Q&oe=64FCF063

I think I saw that nice part of the path on the other side of the Starbucks.

Marathon Maniac #957

Keith (my friend) thinks I'm basically an Olympian, 

Well aren't you?  

I got interrupted the first time I was reading this, and forgot to post, but a huge WELL DONE on a tough race!  You go, GRRLL!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, well done, Karen!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congratulations, Karen!

Two statements I would like to quote:

"I knew I was running the best I could, and if someone could beat me, they deserved it".

Yup, that sums up your race and achievement.

"It was my first race running for my Rabbit team, so I didn't want to lay an egg."

Can you explain what laying an egg is?  If it's too graphic, never mind. Perhaps this is a euphemism with which I am unfamiliar. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

Nice race Karen. Congrats on a good finish on some serious hills.

Keith (my friend) thinks I'm basically an Olympian,

Also, Holly beat me to what I was going to say.

Paul

Thanks, all.  Sorry for the late response!  I lost track of this thread.

Enke-  "Lay an egg" means to fail badly-  really bomb.

moebo

Congrats, KSA, on not laying an egg!