Masters Running

Wed Feb 20 Hump Day Runs and Ramblings (Read 747 times)

Hi Folks!! I'm cheating a bit here as it is not quite midnight, but it is Wednesday on that other coast and I just had to beat Roy to the gate just this one time. Just got back from a sproinky 6.5 mile treadmill run. 2 miles @ 5.7mph 2 x 2miles @ 7.0mph (8:34 pace) 0.5 miles @ 5.7mph about 1 mile walking Was feeling greta, breathing was so light and easy, this was definitely easier than the last time I did this workout. Only problem was my thigh started to hurt, else I would have done 3 sets at 7.0mph. I have a theory that there is a big aerobic boost to our CV systems about 48 to 72 hours after a LSD run, and so I like to schedule my interval or tempo work in that window. If I wait until later in the week, it doesn't work.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke. Evil grin Nice run! Hey, does that count as a Tuesday run or a Wednesday run, though? Interesting theory. However, can you back that up with science, please? Big grin If I had my legal gear on, I'd put you through a Frye test. Since I'm in my pajamas heading to bed, I'll let it slide. Now, go to bed, woman! (oh and psst. Don't tell the sleeping east coasters, but your avatar reminded me I have some purple crocuses peeping through in the yard now, too). Almost forgot. Race photo. Makes up (almost) for the 100-some bad ones the past several years. http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0KXN000F000205&po=205

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How lucky I am up late with two of the goddesses I'll get to see in the upcoming Mercer Island Half Mary (and future ultraist francesi too). Smile hi enki - did you see my idea to check out Seattle Running Company for the kind of thin-but-tough-soled shoes they recommend for mountain trail runs? I don't think he approved of them but Scott at least had to admit my Merrill thongs were pretty thin like he liked. Their sponsored trail races include the Cougar Mountain Series, the White River plus they have weekly training runs for all paces up at Cougar or Tiger every Sunday with Scott and Mrs. Scott being fast and slow pace leaders respectively. Incidentally, I vaguely remember hearing a long time ago about the LSD connection to a big aerobic boost to CV systems but don't think it had anything to do with running. hi very high soundi - I can hardy wait until you get on the trails too. somehow your powerful photo along scenic seashore remind me of ultra-goddess coasting along around mile 40 or 50 in one of her trail races last year. See you at the half mary. http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0KXN000F000205&po=205

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Oh darn, Soundie. I get an error when I click on the link for your picture. I'm intrigued, because all of my race photos are just awful, and yet I keep hoping for a good one. I comfort myself with saying that anyone who looks good in a race photo clearly isn't working hard enough. But that's just my own sour grapes - one of these days... 8.07 miles in 1:22:24. We're getting a little snow later today, but this morning it was just cold with a bright moon to light my way. WRFB is annoyed by all the burned out streetlights in our neighborhood. I don't mind so much. My daffodils are starting to poke out of the ground. I've got some early spring yard chores to do on the first warmish weekend, and my stoopid work schedule is really going to get in way once gardening season arrives.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Morning all, Horrible night of tossing and turning---dry hotel air and too much weighing on my mind and heart. Got up at 4 AM finally and did sit-ups, push-ups and prepped for today's work with my favorite client. Running at 5 AM ---7 miles in 58 minutes for an 8:24ish pace. Skies partly cloudy here in Atlanta---34 degrees. Last run without snow until work travel to Phoenix in March. Headache and tired, but the legs seemed to have a mind of their own and it was a solid and steady run. No daffodils or crocuses at home for weeks, but the photo is great Enke---nice workout too! Soundrunner, that photo is awesome (PDR---open the link in Tet's posting---it worked there---Thanks Tet!). That's a keeper of a race photo and can you say Kick Butt?! The "lyrical" deal was my art history major seeping through. I thought of using some of my cousins' Bed-Stuy language, but then....naw, another time. Ha! "See" you all next Monday CNY
              Don't forget, there is a full Lunar Eclipse happening tonight. Here on the East Coast it's supposed to be full from around 10:15 PM to midnight or so. Check your local news for specific times in your area. I was running when the last one occurred because it was early morning (early last year?). This one I'll miss being an early riser. I ran 10.25 miles this morning with negative splits. Just wanted to run real easy going out and GA or so coming back. The first 5 miles at around 9:45 to 9:50 min/mile and an HR of 132ish. The last 5+ miles at around 8:45 to 8:50 min/mile pace and an HR of 148ish. IRC. 64 and 74%. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Here on the East Coast it's supposed to be full from around 10:15 PM to midnight or so.
                Yeah, like I'll be awake at 10:15 Yes 6x1mi. Planned "strong/comfortable" by feel. Checked pace periodically though to verify feeling. Pace(HR) splits 7:26(153),7:20(161),7:17(161),7:09(164),7:00(165),7:11(167). Overall: 10.1M, 1:20 Good runs to all. (There are about 6 streetlights out in our neighborhood Angry )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Geech - I think it is going to be a really, really, really, really long time before I see any spring flowers popping up. More snow last night - it is a record year here on the West side of Michigan. Well, my right upper leg has been giving me some problems. Right where the leg connects to the upper body on the inside of the thigh. After yesterday's run in the snow, it was bothering me all day - not to mention during the run too. SO, as much as it pains me to take a day off - or two - I guess that is what I need to do. Cry We might get a window of clear sky tonight for the eclipse - but it will be past my bedtime. Happy Hump Day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Soundie..can't wait to open the photo... that was one heckuva race! Bit of speed work before Sat race (20K). 4x1000m imbedded in a 9 mile run Ran below VO2max but faster than 10K pace. Targeted 7:10. Actual: 7:09, 7:02, 7:16, 7:11 (avg 7:10, last 2 were uphill) 9.2 miles in 1:14:22 (8:05, AHR 157): 2.2 mi wu w/ Tory @ 9:10 speed w/ 2 min jogs 3.5 mi cd @ 7:58 (MP) Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The Jogger

Morning Gang Enke, well done, Tongue Now Roy sets alarm for 3am gmt Wink Soundie you look fab in that pic, cruising. Mary, don't know if this works but found this on another site, tips for the 305: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=142 I'm getting one in a couple of weeks for my 50th Smile Steve, great hr for that pace Anyway: 6m 01:06:51 @ 11:09 pace AHR 152 72% it was cold and foggy here but my daffs are already out in the garden, just noticed yesterday. Good Runs All Roy
                        First run since getting back Sunday from Cuba, I also brought a nasty cold from Cuba. My lungs have been just yucky plus a harsh cough that scares the kids away. 40 minutes fairly ez...will take it easy the next few days hoping to clear this cold. Great runs this morning guys...need to catch up to see what has been going on. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Good morning Boomers. Cross training day. 6 miles on the eliptical trainer with leg and ab work this morning. I'm not sure I'm ready to hear about yard work and crocus flowers. Like Mary, everything in my yard is burried under 3 feet of snow. Spring looks like it's a long way off. Soundie, couldn't open your picture but will try CNY Runner's tip. From everyone's comments, your picture probably belongs on the cover of next month's Runner's World magazine. Congratulations again on your awesome run. Tallrunner, sorry you picked up a bug in Cuba. And see what happens? You leave the country and Castro resigns! Nice runs, WRFB, PDR, Breger, CNY Runner (sorry you didn't sleep well), Perch and Roy. Roy, I think this is the first time in a long time someone has beaten you to first post! Have a good day, all Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #957

Soundie – I opened the link in Tet’s post as well. Nice photo, but really, you are such a lovely woman it’s hard to believe you ever take bad photos. {whine mode on} Can you get another cold, just when you’re getting over your last one? The whole family has a cough now, and so last night, lying in bed, it sounded like a chorus of coughing going on in our tiny house. DS is mostly better, but coughing at night; DH’s flu-like symptoms seem to have settled into bad-cold symptoms, and he’s still home from work, and now DD and I now have sore throats and coughs. Snow day for the kids, so they get to stay home with DH. I’m the only one dragging off to work….grrrr… I suited up and heading out into the heavily falling snow, about 3” on the ground, made it about 10 feet and turned around. Maybe it was not enough sleep, sore throat and achy chest, sick and tired of winter, I don’t know, but today I just felt motivationally defunct. But I didn’t think I was sick enough to actually forego my run, so I dragged myself into the garage and got on the treadmill. 7 mentally difficult miles on the treadmill, with several stops and starts to deal with children. Still, it’s done. Off to work now. Temps are supposed to drop even more for tomorrow’s MLR. (sigh) {whine mode off}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Way to tough one out Holly....hope you are not getting sick again Smile I don't like to run in snow much, unless it's the kind where your feet don't slip around as much. Thanks for starting us off enkephalin - glad you had a nice run!!! Lots of action here this morning. 10 mile progression run for me last night in 1:29:00. I started easy and the further I ran, the better I felt, so I just kept speeding up till I got home. it was pretty cold with below 0 windchills, but I think I'm getting use to it.....but still hate it Angry And I also have developed very painful blisters on my little toes on each foot...probably because of my new shoes I wore Sat for the first time. Seems like the toe box is a little smaller, but are the same brand and model I always wear Confused Well, I am at work and super busy....will check back in later Good runs all...have a great hump day, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, all! Enke - nice early morning kickoff - I love the crocuses, but I am definitely envious. Hallar - if you are looking for a nice neutral cushioned shoe, try the Asics Nimbus. I was running in Adrenalines as well until I was re-evaluated and put into a neutral cushioned shoe. The Nimbus sixes were my absolute favorites, and I've bought all of those I can find. The new 10's will be out soon - they are gorgeous, but function has yet to be determined ;-). Spareribs - waiting to hear how your bread turned out. Holly - sorry to hear another cold is jumping on board - yes you can have serial colds ;-(. Congrats for toughing it out on the treadmill even if you weren't up to going outside. btb - no, your posts are not ridiculously long - you can post a whole novel if you'd like. I know exactly what you mean about not having anyone else to converse with about running. My friends are supportive but their eyes start to glaze over when I start to talk about a particularly good training run. Fortunately, DH loves to talk about running and training, so I do have that outlet. Puppy day care this morning, so no run today. Core and upper body weights scheduled for noon. It dawned on me over the weekend that the yoga I've been doing twice a week seems to have resolved my chronic achilles problem. My last several runs, including the 15 miler on Sunday, have been pain free. I had gotten so accustomed to ignoring the discomfort that I didn't notice when the pain was gone. My sympathies to the Michiganders - I understand that Grand Rapids has set a new record for snowfall in December, January and February - a record that has stood since 1900. You folks keep getting pelted this winter. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous