Masters Running

Wed Feb 20 Hump Day Runs and Ramblings (Read 747 times)

Well, I certainly know where to come to get my ego stroked when I need it. Smile Thanks, all. I think it was taken around Mile 22 judging by the scenery and because I still have my bottle/pack. I doubt I'll ever see such a good Mile 22 photo again. I feel guilty looking at sunshine and spring-like weather when so many are still suffering. If it's any consolation, it just means allergy season is fast approaching for me. The Flower and Garden show is going on at the Convention Center next door and it took me quite a while to find parking, trying several different lots. Coming into the office after 11:00 didn't help. Big grin (((CNY))). I hope your heart aches less today. Night can bring such intense emotions, I know. I should clarify I was very flattered by your choice of word the other day. Sure would love to meet you soon. Hopeful. I agree that it sounds like a groin pull. I think some time off is a good idea and icing couldn't hurt. Sue. Yes, yoga probably is helping your achilles. I chuckled at your comment about noticing pain free running. I remember one day thinking, hmmmm, something was different about my run and realized that's what it was, too. Tet. I'm at a loss as to why Roch and Ribs are givng you such a hard time. Poor Tet. Enke. I meant to respond the other day about Cougar Mtn. I've run a few of the races but never an entire series. They have become more crowded as they've gained in popularity and last time I ran one I was stuck in a single file-- no passing room -- jogging slowly, for quite a while. But it's a terrific series. Very fun and beautiful scenery, of course. Erika. You didn't ask, but my two cents. Unless you're aiming for a fast spring 5k race, stay away from those 400s. Track or no track. And certainly not this week. You're running a relay in 8 days! Ran around Green Lake last night with Luka, stopping to see the group at the track and giving my coach a report from Sunday. Luka is about 10 lbs. overweight. Must whip her back into shape for the Furry 5k in June. A few easy miles tonight and yoga on the docket. Yikes, what a ramble. Must be the coffee. Good humping...er, hump day to you all!
      Our local HS has a brand spanking new track that is fabulous. We have been able to get it unlocked, and the lights turned on, for public use. But only one night a week and only when one or more of the School teams are practicing at the same times (soccer, lacrosse). I wouldn't be surprised if this was a liability issue. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Shoot! I loved reading everything, but now (once again) I have no time to respond to everyone as I'd like...except, to add that it's a great photo, soundie--and you're in the air. My photos all have my feet on the ground, hmpf! So Ribs, you'll be changing your handle to something doughy, eh? Hope the clouds clear for everyone (who'll be up) for the eclipse! grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have a hug waiting with your name on it. Wink
          arigatou takusan sugoi daisuki swoonalina bijin, a hug is worth a thousand words Let's find Soundajoyalina and Franchesci and maybe make DH envious enough to come back. Incidentally, I didn’t see any crocuses in the continuing sunshine and warm days that keep drowning out the predicted rain but either saw or dreamed about a beautiful butterfly already. I hope it’s true! ================== ps - unbelievably, famed Hayward Field in Eugene is open to anyone 24 hours a day (except during meets)!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

6 miles in 59:00 nice and easy and pain free. Still running the dreadmill though due to the shoulder of the road not being cleared. Warmer weather for the weekend so hopefully by Sunday my long run can be on my old route and not in the garage. Soundie, heres more ego stroking. You can't possably be old enough to be in this group. Judging by those photos maybe 33. Cool Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Yikes, what a ramble. Must be the coffee. Good humping...er, hump day to you all!
              Ok, Dark Horse is obviously not reading the daily anymore. Anyone know where he is at? Trail series - I totally expect to be stuck in a long line of slowbies like myself. I signed up just for a change of pace, to experience the trails and possibly to get a new hat at the end of all 4 races. I have simple aspirations. Tet and others: those are web crocuses. Mine are still a month from blooming. But I did run past some yellow/orange ones the other day that had opened up. It was such a treat to see.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

My real question is what do other localities do? Is simply locking up the tracks common practice?
                I often run on the (new) outdoor track at South Windsor High school...it is closed but usually not locked. I've asked permission from any of the teams practicing if it is ok for me to run and some coaches have turned me away, but most say it's ok. It is particuliarly motivating to try to keep up with the HS girls track team (they are quick) -I have more trouble with the boys track team as they are a bit more macho-and talented-and try to 'beat the old guy' which invariably causes me to run a faster pace than I had planned... Wink I've also done speedwork at the track in the early am on Thursdays-usually finishing as the busses are arriving. Many of the teachers will look out the window at me and just shake their head at me when I catch them looking over...just jealous, I guess.
                wildchild

Carolyn

Our local high school (well, OK, it's K-12) doesn't have a track. But if it did, my guess is it wouldn't be locked. It wouldn't even have a fence. But we're kind of rural. Smile You could run around the football field in the grass if you wanted, although it's under snow right now. It's interesting reading that some of you have daffodils and crocuses coming up, and others have feet of snow. I guess we're spread out all over the country (and even a few canajuns and brits too!). I'm in the snow group myself, although spring comes earlier down in the flatlands where I work than in the mountains where I live. There's probably 4,000 ft elevation difference between the two. Hey, Tall, other than getting a cold, how did things go in Cuba with your lady? You haven't mentioned her since you got back - hope you guys are still good? Healing vibes to all of you who are sick or injured - blisters, colds, insomnia, groin pulls, sinus infections ... Dead I hope to catch some of the eclipse tonight. Thanks for the reminder, breger. I'm not a morning runner, so I should be able to stay awake for part of it! I got out for a 4.5 mile tempo run at lunch at about a 9:20 avg pace. Felt great. 40 degrees, overcast, and NO WIND!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Ok, Dark Horse is obviously not reading the daily anymore. Anyone know where he is at? Trail series - I totally expect to be stuck in a long line of slowbies like myself. I signed up just for a change of pace, to experience the trails and possibly to get a new hat at the end of all 4 races. I have simple aspirations.
                    Yeah, I figured it was worth a try. He didn't bite. Sad Hopefully all is well. Oh yes, you will love the series. I may join you for one. You might think about joining SRC, too. 15% discount on all gear and sponsored races and alerts to special club events. I'd planned to go to this one last night but it's been postponed. Strictly because of the ultra theme, of course. Onscreen eye candy had nothing to do with it! http://www.seattlerunningcompany.com/indulgence_postponed.html
                      Just wanted to jump in on the high school track discussion. I work for the athletic director at one of our local high schools and the gates surrounding the track/football field are kept locked when not in use. The reasons are vandalism and liability, just as everyone figured. A couple of years ago, a gate was mistakenly left unlocked and some kids got into the bathrooms, pried some toilets and sinks from the floor and wall and threw them on a service road leading to the track. Some broke and left quite a mess to clean up. Then, they spray painted obscenities on the walls of the press box. I understand the frustration at not having access to taxpayer sponsored areas, but really, what choice do schools have? It makes you angry some times that a small few have the ability to ruin things for everyone else, but I guess that's the world we live in today.
                        For starters, no run today. Our high school track is usually unlocked. I run there on rare occasion when I get to thinking I can still run fast without any negative consequences Smile I'll bet one could get creative and come up with ideas that may help grease the skids toward using the locked up track. Good luck
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hill Runner

Hi all, I ran early this morning but didn't have time to post today...to much going on. 10.03 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

3.3 miles....."Just running in the rain"....... One of the local high schools is open for public use AND has lights that stay on until midnight. As well, the local university has an indoor track that can be used IF you clear it ahead of time with the track team office. Their athletes have first rights on the track but if it is not being used/booked by them, the public is encouraged to enjoy it.......for no cost. They also have an upper concourse at the basketball center that available to be used for running. It is cement and I find that slippery to run on at times. However, on stormy days, it becomes a good option to consider. A nice day of posts in here today......starting in the west.......and going on from the rest.
                            Vista
                            btb1490

Tramps- how are you gonna be able to speak at that conference and keep a straight face? Nice tempo run this AM. Somehow the words "tempo" and "comfortable" in the same sentence don't compute with me! evanflein- good move doing your speedwork on the treadmill. Running in icy conditions is bad enough as it is, let alone trying to do speedwork in it. seemomgo- that's why they make cellphones! So you can run and take calls at the same time! TomS- thank you for your nice comment! I'd say you had good reason to make it a treadmill day today! SteveP- another awesome picture of BatKid! It looks like he's trying to say "to the Batcave"! I can't believe your temps dropped that quickly today! JJJ- I think after your adventure last weekend, you could use some time off. And didn't your mother ever tell you that if you walk around in a skirt in the freezing cold that you would get sick! halllar- you're on a roll! Keep rolling! wildchile- the warming trend continues by you I see. At this rate the snow should be gone by June, right? PeterNC- catch us up when you can! At least you weren't too busy to get your run in. vista- just wanna say HI! Two more hours till eclipse time... I think I can make it.... zzzzzzz.....

Manchild

I went for a quick nearly 5 miler before the last Varsity Girls basketball game at the HS! Ran an 8:57 pace in 44:02:06. Left by 4:10 and was able to get to the school with 3:00 left in the first quarter. The y lost in a great game in overtime. Chris