Masters Running

Remember 9/11 Daily (Read 37 times)

Hard to believe it has been over 20 years since 9/11. Yet that day is so clear in my mind, it was like yesterday. My DW was in tower 7, when 1 and 2 were hit. As the first reports rolled in, I was not sure what tower she was in but I thought she was on something like the 40th floor. The reports said the planes hit above that, so I thought she might be able to run down to the street. I did not know she was alive until that afternoon. What a day.

As one of my good deeds for the day, I am going to pimp mariposai's American Cancer Society fund raising page. It is for a doubly good cause. First, cancer is something nearly everyone deals with either directly or indirectly. Second, it helps get mariposai over the top with her goal, so that she can run the Chicago Marathon! Here is the page: https://secure.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNCY23NOR?px=58651012&pg=personal&fr_id=104264&s_src=mobile_app&s_subsrc=other. P.S. I hope mariposai is good with this, since I am posting this unsolicited. 

As for my workouts, today was an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

We had moved from Houston TX to Midland Mi a few weeks before 9/11. I had a small TV in my office and I had the news on in the morning when everything unfolded. One of my memories is how the people at the office kept going on through a normal day. Meetings kept happening on schedule. I went through the motions but wasn't paying attention to anything happening at work.

I couldn't get going this morning. I felt like I should work out or go for a run. Time was slipping away. But I finally decided to go out and run for 30 minutes. It ended up being a good run.

Thanks for the link on mariposai's marathon. Now that I work for United Health Care I have been taking advantage of their policy of matching contributions. I checked the website for approved charities and the American Cancer Society at the Chicago Marathon is listed. So I should be able to submit a request for a match.

Thanks, twocat, and good morning Dave and those to follow.

9/11 was my daughter’s first day of boarding school (high school junior) at Interlochen Arts Academy up in Steve-villa.  So- she was far away from us on that terrible day.  That didn’t help.  I think our son was in Austin at boarding school- but had been there a week or two already.  I was driving to work when the first tower was hit and we had a TV on when I got to work.  We were stunned- as was the whole nation.  I don’t think we did any work.   I had a business trip to Europe a couple of weeks later and it was scary to be on the plane.

Last morning on the island.  6.3 miles and the warmest, most humid morning yet.  Sun was low and I had a lot of shade.  Need to pack up and make our way to the airport.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Good Morning

I agree that 9/11 seems like yesterday in many respects.  and it's certainly one of those pivotal moments in history that the details of your day as you heard the news, it forever etched in your memory banks.

I didn't get a chance to check in over the weekend. Such a busy weekend here. Our Corvette show on Saturday was a big success with the largest number of cars we've ever had. In 2021 we had 41 cars, last year we had 58, this year we had 81! And there were 16 entrants that didn't show up, so had everyone shown up, we would have been near 100 Corvettes! It really was a beautiful sight seeing all those cars parked in the dealership lot.  If there's any Corvette enthusiasts that like see the photos (and you are on FB), our FB page is Southern Oregon Corvette Association. I uploaded a lot of pics from the day.

Yesterday, I met up with some friends for a 20 mile trail run. The first 10 were great! Then the last 5-6 especially were so hard. I was off and I'm not sure why. I had 2 ltrs of electrolyte water, I was eating a little something every 4-5 miles, it's a flat trail so not much climbing, it did get warm but not too bad. It was 83 by the end of the run, so probably 75% of the run was fairly comfortable temps. I felt nauseous/on the edge of throwing up for the last 5 miles so there was a lot of walk breaks in there!  All last week though, every run felt harder than it should have so probably just having an off week.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tammy – nice 20 miler: Run of the Month, . . . so far.

Though I'm recovered enough from Saturday's five mile RT down to Lake Union Round and then back up again, yesterday's clear sunny skies have clouded up enough to block the sunrise that I'd planned on running into for my Seattle Marathon Summer 10K this morning but, since I signed up for the virtual edition and I can do it anytime I want, the rest of the week is supposed to be like last week's final fling at summer to do it without violating Running Rule no. one that I only do anyway in official races when it can't be helped with everybody else.

Very fitting forgivenessing including, I suppose, 9/11 but, though I don't carry any on-going grudges, resentment or planning to get revenge or even about it, or the dozens of personal perfidies against me over the years from people I had gone out of my way in investing personal and professional pro bono time and money to help, I get along quite fine with living with not forgiving the dupliciters against me and even have relations with some, albeit it definitely strained and not like before.  However, I hope St. Peter is more forgiving to mine when the time comes, though.

I don't have many regrets at this stage but, if I did, following the Golden Rule too much that I'd been inculcated with from my mother and Sunday School, especially with regard to my lending money I never got back to those in need that I would have appreciated if it had been me would be at the top of the list.

Sadly, though, reliving 9/11 reminds me of a former poster whose accounts I liked but who quit posting after getting chided over being unwilling for forgive the terrorists for her relative or friend who died in the towers on that horrible day we all remember as vivid as yesterday just like November 22, 1963. Wish I would have spoken up so I would've gotten chided instead of her.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

We had a moment of silence at school this morning; no student was alive on 9/11, but I shared a couple of my recollections. At the time, I was teaching 8th grade science at a middle school. Students began getting called out of class one by one, but I had no idea why until the principal pulled me into the hall and told me what was happening. That, and by order of the school superintendent, we were not to tell the students in our classes. By my last class, my class of 25 was down to maybe 6....I felt really foolish when they asked me what was going on, but I played along with my boss' wishes.

Yesterday I ran a 5k; not a race as there was no timing and no bib numbers. Simply a fundraiser against opioid abuse. Lots of my students were there and I have to keep up appearances. I told a 9th grade girl that if she beat me she could have 2 bonus points on the first test. She and her boyfriend went out way too fast and as I caught them when they were walking, they picked it up again. Still, poor pacing cost them and I came in several minutes ahead.

All in all however, I wasn't real happy with my time and my heart rate continues to be really high when running. Yesterday my max heart rate was 182 and the average was 171. I've got a Garmin chest strap so I think it is accurate. I know, I know, I should go see a cardiologist, but I'm telling myself I'm just out of shape.

...........60-min at soccerfields........trailboots..........no cane

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Sadly, though, reliving 9/11 reminds me of a former poster whose accounts I liked but who quit posting after getting chided over being unwilling for forgive the terrorists for her relative or friend who died in the towers on that horrible day we all remember as vivid as yesterday just like November 22, 1963. Wish I would have spoken up so I would've gotten chided instead of her.

I'm not sure who this is referring to or what exactly happened, but how can any of us chide anyone else for their inability or unwillingness to forgive some one else for what they have done to someone else entirely?  Okay, now I have confused myself.

3 miles for me this morning in 58 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - my fading memory is of orangemat.  I'm sorry I didn't support her at the time.

Sub – I've seen plant-based substitutes for meats for vegetarians but I just saw a package your friends might like of “Classic Style Plant-Based Fish Burgers” but, though “high in protein,” they might be turned off with the “real seafood taste” and “flaky whitefish textures.”

ps - my MapMyRun/Walk/Hike, etc. is getting fancy too in an update wanting me to “tap or move my right shoe” over my cell phone to connect the chip in the shoe to my activities. Hmmm, maybe I'll get a pair of running shoes, after all, . . . cut out the chip and put it in Mike's pocket. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

I remember Orangemat but have zero recollection of her leaving here over some ill feelings. that's too bad.

Tammy

BTY

Twocat!   Holy Cow, my hair would have all turned gray and fallen out by the time word came through that she was alive, if I were you.  Unimaginable to me.

I remember 9/11/2001 sometimes when walking into work on a beautiful and blue-sky-ed morning, as that perfectly clear blue sky in now 9/11 blue to me.   It suspends me in time when it's like that, to this day.   As I waled into the building, unbeknownst to me, there was very likely a jet bound for SF from Logan doing a 90 degree turn directly above me, following the Hudson River to NYC.  So hard to comprehend, even now.

Tonight will be my first night back in the pool since a week or so ago, when they closed for the big annual cleaning.  I'm optimistic that they may have made some improvements to the pool and or deck as well, though I'm too much of a newbie still to know what creature comforts may have been lacking.  I'm thinking this will be a 2,650 yard (1.5 mile) swim, about 60% swimming (or just pulling), and 40% just kicking.  Planning to switch from the swim fins I'd been using on my feet for the past 5-6 months to a pair that my neighbor gave me this past summer - I was beginning to acquire a blister and a callous on the middle toe on my left foot that was bothering me during the work day, if I tried to go for a walk.  Even walking in from the parking garage was uncomfortable, in fact.

Update on the carriage light and post installation.  I had the electrician come over early this morning and hook up the electricity.  While I had stepped around to the back of the house, he flipped the switch on the breaker panel, and I came around to see him looking at the lamp sort of wide-eyed but trying to be casual.  He said, "there's some smoke coming from the outlet.  I don't think the GFI they supplied was good."  Darn.  So we eliminated the GFI outlet and wired the supply lines directly to the photocell, and the lights didnt come on, even with electrical tape over the photocell.  So we eliminated the photocell and wired the lights directly to the supply line, and YES the lights came on.  So the faulty GFI not only got smoked, but the photocell got smoked as well, apparently.   I'll have to get a new GFI outlet and he believes he has the equivalent photocell, but for now, the lights are going to be on 24-7 until he comes back to replace it.   It's been a rainy dreary day, so it hasn't seemed unusual to have them on down at the end of the driveway; I'm mainly interested to see how they look tonight around 9:00 when I get back from. my workout.  Woot!

Boy, I sure hope I wasn't a member of this group back in 2001 - I don't think I even joined the Boomers and Beyond on CooRunning until around 2005 - so I'm fairly confident it wasn't I that offended someone with comments about forgiving the terrorists.   And to my way of understanding, forgiving doesn't mean (necessarily) forgetting and acting like something never happened, and trusting again.   That may or may not be possible or even a good idea.   For me, it's more of a freedom from the self-imposed obligation to hate someone.  Just me.

anneb

I do remember it vividly. I saw the first tower get hit on TV and then went off to work - no one knew what was going on. Then by the time I got to the office, the second tower had been hit and it was clearly not an accident. At work, we were sent home. At the time, no one knew if there were other targets (of course there were - but, hello Sears Tower right across the street). Anyways, I remember waiting forever to get a bus because the entire downtown was let go, and cell phones didn't work at all (that was all day though). I had one colleague who was there on business (he ended up ok, but it was a long day). That night, the H and I got together with some friends who lived by us (at a bar - I was 26).

I did 35 minutes on the elliptical today, but made it a workout (sort of - 10x1:00 min hard/30 sec recoveries).

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, never mind...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Truly a sad event never to be forgotten, Twocat. An hour on the elliptical would scare me.

Dave, for the most part I think any run is a good run in one way or another, and 30 minutes will get the heart pumping.

Karen, nice 6.3 miler, today I would have traded temperatures with you.

Tammy, I'm a big fan of the later Vette engines, the all aluminum LS1 series, specifically the LS3 engine. Outstanding performance! I like it so much I'm planning to transplant one in my car.

tets, I don't bother with fake fish, I like to eat the real thing. Any seafood for that matter.

bioguy, if the reading was accurate, go get checked. You look like a younger fellow...

This morning my legs were tired and it was a strange feeling that I didn't like. I bailed after 4 miles and told myself tomorrow would be another day.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For me, it's more of a freedom from the self-imposed obligation to hate someone.  Just me.

BTY - very nicely said. thanks.

In the days before I knew what j-o'clock was, DD called me up from Alaska at a little before 6:00 am to turn on the tv to the horror of the day that seemed distant and unreal at the time but has been made real by the personal accounts herein and what we were all doing plus the weekend host of a local radio program who has described the fear of what was going on in her horrifying evacuation from a smaller hotel across the street.