Masters Running

Arf's Marathon RR and most EXCELLENT birthday weekend! (Read 279 times)

arf

MM #405

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin ....Thanks to some lunch get-togethers made possible by some VERY SPECIAL friends. So Calgary was suffocating under about a foot of snow and I could not wait to get the #%$@# outta there, and so excited to get to the warmer temps and greenery of the Seattle area. I arrived at the airport and was met by Divechief and we immediately drove the 2 1/2 hours to our hotel which was very close to the marathon race start. K, so where are my warmer temps and greenery? Marathon morning was unbeleivable, I have never seen such gigantic flakes of snow in my life! I met with the butterfly goddess, Mariposai, and was over-joyed to be able to keep up with her for the first 11 miles...she has this smooth, strong running gait...I've never felt so comfortable running with anybody, we seemed to just feed off eachothers positive energy. I slowed down to my more comfortable "put put" ultra gait, and just felt so grateful to be able to run and feel so good and strong and healthy, fortunate and blessed with so many loving friends and family on this birthday weekend. I finished feeling strong with a time of 4:49. For those who don't know me, I like to use marathons as aided training runs. My big goal race is a 100 miler at the end of August. After the race Divechief and I met at a restaurant for lunch with rasmussenmp and his beautiful wife, also Mariposai and her hubby, which I have to mention is such a sweet guy, and I love it how he goes and supports this special lady in everything she does. Divechief, (Dave), didn't run this race as he is still battling a foot injury, but was there for me, as he always is, with his constant love, support and encouragement. That night Dave and I had waaaaay too much fun bar-hopping and the next day, we were so happy to be able to meet Tetsujin and his special lady for a delicious birhday lunch at a fabulous restaurant on the waterfront. All in all...a really fun race and perfect weekend, thanks for reading... arf
      Vicarious living, and the living is easy! Thanks Annie Arfley! This was a nice read. I like how you explained your ultra pace. 100 Miles. That's almost 4 marathons. That's a lot of miles. I can't wait to read about that, too! Veta says "ruff ruff ruff" (which means "Happy Belated Birthday" in schnauzer.
      LaVita

Maniac 505

Clowning around It was so much fun sharing your birthday weekend with you, It was great to hang out with Mr. Mariposi while the two goddess were running, It was great to see Mike and Sue again, and I think I had as wonderful of a weekend as you did. And lunch with Tet was great. Dave
        TammyinGP

Sounds like the perfect birthday getaway weekend . . . okay, minus the snow part Roll eyes Nice training run Arf!! I hope someday our paths will cross as well.

Tammy

Always good to hear from you, arf. From the looks of the smilies and the report, you certainly enjoyed yourself, and that's what it's all about.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Greta job Arf!! I just can't imagine . . . . 100 miles .... Shocked If anyone can do it, you can, that is for sure! Thanks for the great report. Super way to celebrate your birthday. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

your flight plus driving over the snowy/frozen/icy Cascade passes, running through the snow, sleet, wind, hills, and finally sunshine plus all the birthday activities sound like good practice for anything the Big One can serve up too. ps - glad the photo of the piece of chocolate decadence birthday cake and ferry boat came out. Smile (-now practice setting the date right tet>>)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Practice for a 100 miler? Shocked Glad you shared your race with us. Well done and I am looking forward to the 100 mile RR. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Sounds like a great birthday weekend. A marathon as a "training run!?" Oh my gosh! Shocked

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi Arf---sounds like you had a fabulous birthday celebration with memories to last a lifetime. What a great report and anyone who uses marathons as training runs with an eye on a 100 miler just blows me away! Incredible. Thanks so much for the report and letting us join you virtually. CNYrunner/Karin
                        Arf, I really want to do that marathon someday, it sounds beautiful even with the sleet. Wait a minute, I've never even done a marathon, what am I talking about?? You and Dive look like you were really enjoying the weekend. Good Luck on your 100-miler, wow, I get tired just counting up to 30!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

sounds like a great time was had. Congrats on a fine race
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Arf, Congratulations on a great race (uh training run) and on celebrating your birthday in such fine company. You sound and look like you had a blast.Very happy for you and all the other boomers present. What a supportive group. Congratulations and you don't look a year over 30. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

sounds like an absolutely wonderful weekend!! thanks for a great race report!!

denise

SteveP

Thanks for sharing your perfect weekend with us.

SteveP