Masters Running

Wed Sep 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 492 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I was trying to concentrate on midfoot strike, . . . but I must say that it felt quite strange, like I was running on tiptoes almost, like a toddler just learning to run. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
    Holly, I could never do it either at first but running barefoot or in thin-soloed racing flats, aquasocks, thongs, etc. automatically avoids painful heel-striking and facilitated my permanent switch from the heel-striking I thought was required for slower runners to the more comfortable, less injury-prone, mid-foot landings I now know everyone can - and should - do.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

An easy 5.5 this morning.

lamerunner

good morning, welcome to Fall. After a rest/ swim day yesterday and pretty easy recovery Monday, I hit the roads in cool fog for about 8 miles this morning. Legs felt pretty good. Lots of ramming around last evening so I was a bit tired. DD had her first XC meet of the season, which I attended, then had to pick her up from the bus and ended up at the grocery store 3 times ( don't ask). She ran pretty well despite inadequate summer running, 21:50 for a long 5k, 25th overall out of at lesat 100,and 6th for the team. Assuming she stays strong she will be running varsity this year. Last year she was kind of on the cusp and was a freshman. Lots of depth on her team and a pretty competitive high school crowd around here. I also saw some of the girls I coached last year in the Jr Olympic program, running for other schools. I am always nervous for my girl but I love watching XC. Have a wonderful Wednesday !
        Tramps

Teresa—congrats on finishing the home improvement work. Holly—two-word solution for your next power outage: extension cords. Glad to see that big bully Dicky has stopped picking on the powerless. Remember, Dicky, it’s “comfort the afflicted; afflict the comfortable,” not the other way around. PBJ—I’ve been thinking about your new job. I’m guessing back-up goalie? DH—I’m surprised you haven’t chimed in on the latest use of taxpayer dollars. As for me, I clearly wasn’t paying attention in my economics classes. Somewhere I got the idea that the profits from capital investment were in part a reward for risk-taking. I must have missed the “too big to fail” class. Roll eyes Perch-- Sad Very humid but love the cool temps. 7.2 mile split run this morning: 3.7 miles on the gravel road @ 8:31 and another 3.5 miles on the trail @ 9:36. Lots of dense spider webs across the trail today slowing me down. Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Lots of dense spider webs across the trail today slowing me down.
            I'll have to remember that excuse - good one! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, don't get me started on the bailouts and the use of taxpayer dollars. I might have to start an OT thread. This is just wearing us all down. Lame, she did a 7:02 mile on grass, and that's pretty respectable. I hope you give her lots of encouragment. Very well done. Holly, listen to both Tet and Tim here. Tet is right, but Tim is also careful to point out that the switch takes time. If you are prone to AT problems you have to use care. DickyG, please continue your trend of amusing posts but without the extra praise for Mainerunnah. He is an enemy, and we just don't need this sort of thing. If he does something extraordinary, I will make a brief mention, but then that's it. Today I slowed the pace way down, but gently expanded the jog portions of my workout. 3.8 total miles with 17:30 of it jogging. This also included 2 x 800's, so I am counting the day as maybe 1.5 miles jogging, the rest walking. Spareribs
                DickyG, please continue your trend of amusing posts but without the extra praise for Mainerunnah. He is an enemy, and we just don't need this sort of thing. If he does something extraordinary, I will make a brief mention, but then that's it.
                Hey BACK OFF you old curmudgeon! Wink
                evanflein

30 minutes of pool running on Monday, 40 minutes last night when I really really really wanted to run. But, figured the pool would be beneficial and the run would not, so the pool won. It does feel good, and my foot is better this morning. I do want to run 4 today after work as sort of a "test run" to see how it does after a break. Feels like it's been forever since I ran... but I did 10 on Sunday. Funny how it fades in memory so quickly! Tet, I've been wearing sandals at work since this spring. Rarely wear closed shoes. Not sure what I'm going to do this winter...! I think some flat shoes I have that I got last winter aggravated this condition and brought it on sooner than it would otherwise. I still have those shoes, but haven't worn them since before Boston. Oddly enough, moving from a heel strike stride to more mid-foot/forefoot did make me faster (I believe), but I think it also contributed to the breakdown of the metatarsal head. Some people don't have the mechanics for it, but push through anyway... Roll eyes Holly, glad to hear you got your power on. And it's amazing how well those freezers can hold temperature. I bet the contents are fine, but use it soon. Tramps has a good idea with the extension cord. CNYrunner, thanks for the link... but this always bugs me: "All orders going to Alaska or Hawaii will be charged $20.88" USPS Priority Mail costs the same whether going from Florida to Washington, or New Mexico (where these guys are) to Alaska. I hate being singled out like that. I like Zappos.com... free shipping both ways. Equinox entries are over 800, expecting close to 1,000 by Saturday. Most of these are relay runners, which bug me because they go out sooo fast (why shouldn't they, they're only doing 8.5 mile legs!) they mess up my pacing. Also make navigating the single-track rooty trails difficult... Getting nervous... wish it would clear up and get sunny to help dry parts of the trail...
                  Dave59

I was trying to concentrate on midfoot strike, using the mental image that SR has posted several times about to keep me from hitting on the heel, but I must say that it felt quite strange, like I was running on tiptoes almost, like a toddler just learning to run. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
                    Be careful to not strike too far up on your foot. There is a nice sample video here http://www.stridemechanics.com/index.html that shows some nice stuff. (I think I saw this through barefoot Rick's website.) When striking mid-foot first your heel pretty much hits simultaneously.

Wildchild - too funny!! Big grin Ok, so that must have been my excuse too!....too many spiderwebs. I did 6.26 miles 10:50 pace o/a, it was about 63F and SO HUMID. Man it felt way way sluggish. I had to take 2 or 3 breaks to let my foot rest. Can't really figure out what aggrevates it the most...it is the left foot and sharp left turns definitely hurt it. Going uphill or downhill is not a problem. I was walking normally this morning, and now after the run I am a little bit gimpy, but I don't think I have undone much of the healing. I will know later today...I am going to crack open my newest pair of shoes tomorrow. Which means I should order another pair soon. Boy, who thought running could be this expensive?? Mariposai, I must look up your Autumn leaf run (which I saw listed on some website somewhere) to see if I can make it out your way....Whoops, just mapped it and it is a 4 hour drive from me....I didn't realize it was that far....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Wildchild - too funny!! Big grin Ok, so that must have been my excuse too!....too many spiderwebs.
                        Hey, quit picking on me! I was serious! The trail was full of these large sticky webs that are impossible to see ahead of time. I'd just run right through them and have to stop to try and peel them off my face, neck, and arms. Yuck. I can see I'm getting no sympathy here. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Hiya! missed youse guys! Lots going on--love the running feet! No power, yech--harder in the summer--in the winter, I had a wood stove (in Worthington, western MA) so even tho we'd lose it for days, you could heat the house, cook on the stove, and stick your perishables in snow in a cooler. Summer, not so good. Sad Perch, hope you heal soon! Had a lot of fun running Maui with Stevie Ray for about 10 miles--I love running with him, and he politely tolerates me (he had a good upbringing, you can tell) well. I most definitely did NOT have a negative split. It was hot and got hotter. It was chip timing, but no registering individual start times, so our finish times are by the gun. Mine was 3:50 (but 3:46 by my watch, as I started it only when I got to the start.) Crushing game last night. Got to get it back tonight. 6.01 for me in 49 minutes flat (8:10 pace) 166 ave 177 Max: 8:29/8:05/8:10/8:02/7:59/8:11-- it's 85 here! grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          xor

Yo, I thought it was about 12 miles! BTW, I know what the asthma-like thing was all about. Remember the haze that didn't let us see the other islands? Twas vog. From Kilauea. Not fun for lungs.

Tramps

Anyone want wine? Big grin ETA: nice going Aamos and Stevie Ray!

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Be careful to not strike too far up on your foot. There is a nice sample video here http://www.stridemechanics.com/index.html that shows some nice stuff. (I think I saw this through barefoot Rick's website.) When striking mid-foot first your heel pretty much hits simultaneously.
                                What strike me when watching that video is how high the feet kick up behind him as he runs - up to his butt with every stride, even when he's running at an easy pace. I don't think my feet kick up even as high as my knees when I run.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."