Masters Running

Wed Sep 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 492 times)

<it is="" the="" job="" of="" the="" federal="" government="" to="" regulate="" the="" financial="" markets,="" because="" history="" has="" shown="" again="" and="" again="" that="" financial="" markets="" are="" incapable="" of="" regulating="" themselves="" effectively.="" in="" the="" absence="" of="" coercive="" regulations,="" financial="" markets="" will="" pursue="" short-term="" advantages,="" ignoring="" possible="" longer-term="" problems.="" dark=""></it> I've thought for a while now that "selling short" should be frowned upon....Doesn't seem right. But hey, I'm a carpenter, not a financial authority. 6 x 1200's @ 6:30/mile pace, plus 1/4 mile recovery lap per interval, plus WU/WD 9.4 OA miles
      7 miles on the treadmill at 7:55 mile pace. Berger, no hard feelings on my side, and I hope there are none on yours. Cumbayah, Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

Walt, heck of a workout and nice pace. Remember that if you sell a stock short, someone has to be an optimist and take that bet, so it's a fair transaction. But if you are talking about someone selling a stock short because of insider knowledge, well that's another matter and there are laws against it and I'm with you. Maine and CNY: Yes, you are right. Those runners aren't winning the big races any more, but it's a thrill to talk with them. And good for them to show up at expo after expo and share what they have learned and their own stories and experiences. They don't have to do this, and there's no big money for them either, but they just love the sport, have hundreds of friends in every major city and will stop and chat with anyone who wants to learn. People have poked fun at Billy for some of his Yogi Berra like comments, but if you take the time to listen to him you can learn a lot, and he has helped me many times. The fact that he and Frank will run in the middle of the pack so mugs like me can say they beat him is a tribute to his heart and kindness to all runners. They are wonderful athletes and role models. CNY, good for you to volunteer at NY. I hope you will write a report about that. I am ape about the role of the volunteer at races and we need more RR's when people volunteer. It is so energizing. Speaking of energy, I don't think "taper energy" is an oxymoron at all, as anyone tapering now will attest. Taperers drive the rest of us nuts with their nervous questions and bizarre ideas about what they feel like doing (instead of tapering!). Spareribs
          Dark Horse, I didn't find your post inflammatory at all. It sounds like you are clearly a Democrat, so big deal? I have to agree with most of what you said, at least the parts I could understand. To me it doesn't really matter what you write DH, I just really enjoy reading stuff that is so well written, that's how shallow I am. What's this about Palin getting on a plane after her water had broken, (as if they would let her do that! - you can't even fly past 7 months) and the other rumour that her teenage daughter was off school for 5 months with Mono?? So really now, whose baby is it?? So my foot was mad at me for running 6 miles today, for a few hours. But then it got quiet again. I should do XT tomorrow and not push this. I was at the gym with my son, shooting baskets, when I noticed a room, another CARDIO room that was HUGE, near the main gym, that I didn't previously know about. Another long long row of TM's and cardio equipment. I've been there 3 years now. How could I have not known about it? It reminded me of a recurring dream I have in which I am walking through my tiny house and discovering extra bedrooms and bathrooms that I hadn't known about. It is a very happy dream, btw. Holly I watched that video too, and noticed the same thing....like the guy is kicking his butt. I was watching a marathon once and was convinced that the men were running with a much more pronounced high back kick than the women, whose legs swung closer to the ground. For some reason I decided that this was a direct result of women having a lower centre of gravity. It must be more efficient for them that way. You all agree or refute?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

4 easy miles at Olverholser. Beautiful weather!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              OK, Ribs, the Red Sox are getting killed tonight, thanks to Wakefield, and I have to eat crow. But here's the thing. Can you name a better trio of starting pitchers than Beckett, Lester, and Dice-K? I mean, Dice-K is their third-best pitcher, and he's 17-2, for crying out loud. But then you get Wakefield as your number four, and as a knuckleball pitcher he is problematic. Over the course of a long season he is going to give you more good than bad starts, but in any one game, he may blow up sky-high, as he has tonight. In a short playoff series you can't afford that, and when it comes down to the wire at the end of the season you can't afford that, either. Dark Horse

King of PhotoShop

Well, the season changes fast. At the time I first predicted the Rays to win, you had three starting pitchers who are very good. Byrd and Wakefield however had losing records, and Beckett was just coming back from a sore arm. And I said at the time "Beckett has a sore arm." Since then, Byrd has evened up his record and looked like Cy Young. And Beckett has been superb, making me look dumb. You are right about the other two. But in a five-man rotation Wakefield remains a liability. Look at his low ERA. But one night he is unhittable and the next day he coughs up the game in 4 innings. I have not looked at tonight's score but will go there next. And how about my Mets! They were significantly up over the Phillies and now doing another September fade. And Brewers fans have to be livid. Baseball is so cool. The Saint has Craiglisted half our stuff and is selling things right and left. Am afraid to leave my desk chair. Spareribs
                xor

Well, there was that bit when you were out in front and I had to hoof it to catch up, so I subtracted that.
                  yeahbut, who finished 11 minutes in front of whom? My positive split beat your positive split. Which is not good for me. I think I'm going to grow my hair out more and see if that speeds me up.

Dark Horse, I didn't find your post inflammatory at all. It sounds like you are clearly a Democrat, so big deal?
                    Thank you for your kind words, Enke, but I'm not a Democrat and never have been. I have never belonged to any political party. When you join a group, you risk becoming a victim of groupthink. I try to think about the issues using common sense, and listening to all points of view. When you do that, I think you have a better chance of arriving at the truth, or at least a good workable approach. For instance, the energy crisis. Sometimes you hear the choice posed, "Should we drill for oil in protected areas, or should we focus on conservation and alternative forms of energy?" The oil crisis--or in the larger picture, the energy crisis--is not only one of the most important economic issues facing us, it is also one of the most important national security issues. This is absolutely not an area where we can afford to drop the ball. Therefore, it's not an either-or choice. We have to do both: drill wherever oil is to be found, including national refuges (sorry), and at the same time, use tax and other incentives to spur massive research and development of feasible alternative energy sources, preferably clean ones. If you have read this far, you probably don't think I am an environmentalist, but in fact I am. I read the Club of Rome's Limits to Growth report back in the early '70s, and I am convinced that we are destroying the planet. Mankind is fouling its own nest--destroying the oceans, destroying the land, poisoning the water, poisoning the air, killing off other species of plants and animals--mainly because there are far too many people in the world. Part of the problem is simple over-population; part of the problem is unbridled "economic development" which preaches the false and destructive religion of materialism, and measures progress by the accumulation of material things rather than by intellectual and ethical development, and responsible stewardship of the natural world and the earth's limited resources. It will all end badly, I'm afraid, because people lack self-discipline and long-range vision and the ability to sacrifice in the short term for future goals. As a friend of mine said to me last Saturday over breakfast at our favorite diner in downtown Newburyport, "It's obvious what's going to happen. When you put a bunch of cockroaches in a box with limited resources, they will breed and their population will grow till all the resources are consumed. Then they will start fighting, and eat each other." For all our vaunted intellectual prowess, it's not clear that people are any better at long-term planning than cockroaches. Dark Horse
                      Dave thanks for the info on the stridemechanics.com I found the video very good, hopefully it can help. I really didn't learn much new info but it could be very helpful to actually see it from different angles. About the stride making the heels come up so high, that is a much more efficient way of lengthening the stride instead of lifting the knees higher or reaching out with the leg. Easy to say not so easy to do. 6.2 mile group run at GA pace of about 9:20. Tramps, yes I would like some wine Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

pfriese

4 easy miles at Olverholser. Beautiful weather!
                        I think we probably passed each other out at the lake. I did the full loop for 8.2 miles starting about 4:30 this afternoon. One of these days we'll recognize each other. Dark Horse, I'm not a member ot an organized political party either, but as Will Rogers said, that makes me a democrat Smile Paul
                          I have been busy at work and unable to post but today's political discussion has just set me over the edge. lamerunner it does not seem to me the Republicans or conservatives are throwing tantrums. They do not want politics discussed here in the daily. Period. As for our group in general, in my view, if you really think the rest of the forum has to know your political views, left, right, middle (I do not care) create a separate thread from the daily! It is easy to do, and then everybody interested in each others views on these matters can read them. In the daily I do not think it unreasonable that people expect to read about each others runs, training, and injuries. But, if the current pattern keeps up you will not need to worry about having people with divergent political views posting here. One after the other the less liberal members will get fed up and leave. This will happen simply because the more liberal ones seem to be more likely to post their opinions here in the daily. The end result will be that those with opposing views are likely feel isolated or just fed up with what they are reading and then depart. Of course, then the remaining members can post political screeds all they want into the echo chamber that will have been created. It would be very sad if that happened but it looks like we are getting there. As for running I finished 14 miles, the first 9 with my TP. More details when I calm down at the possibility that Bill has gone from the daily until after the election and the many others that have also recently departed in response to the political discussions here. Angry

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Erika---I can feel your taper energy (oxymoron? Confused) booming through cyber space. I am sending good weather vibes. Even with all my focus on pacing I still can't resist going out hard. Try to ignore those relay folks and go for the race you know you can run.
                            Thanks, Karin. I'll try to keep your words in mind as I'm elbowing others to get a good spot in the line on the trail. I did get out for 4.5 chilly miles down the bike path (both miles sub-8 ) and back up (uphill miles 8:20 and 8:40), last half mile was a very easy 8:50 up the last hill. Foot felt ok, legs felt strong, hands froze! Gotta find my gloves... Now I have to think about what to wear Saturday, cuz I bet the weather will be much like it was tonight. So much for my string of sunny fall races. Sorry to hear how things got a little touchy around here, and very sad to see Bill go, even for awhile. I would think we could all behave like adults and be tolerant of other people's opinions while being able to express our own... whether in the daily or a separate thread, I don't care. If you don't want to read something, then skim over it. Not sure what the big deal is.
                              it does not seem to me the Republicans or conservatives are throwing tantrums. They do not want politics discussed here in the daily. Period.
                              twocat, I can understand why the Republicans would feel uneasy about any discussion of politics here. Especially a fact-based discussion of the issues.
                              ... the many others that have also recently departed in response to the political discussions here. Angry
                              I am sorry if this is true. Help me out here: who are "the many others"? Or are you, you know, just making this up? Dark Horse

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

at least it's not as bad as all the information about so many shoes now available, complicated electronic gadgetry always breaking down, and complex training programs.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)