Masters Running

Sunny Saturday (Read 38 times)

Good morning friends -- starting the daily with a cheat because I haven't moved away from my kitchen table yet, never mind run!!

Trying to read back and catch up with all I've missed this week

((Kirsten and dh))  you will my in my prayers

((Tribee))  so sorry about the back issues for Tramps dw -- really stinks and I hope PT gets her back where she wants to be!!

Ribs - wish I could give you the few lbs I seem to have gained

Good running week for me  - Wed ran an easy 6.2 miles then enjoyed a beautiful day with my little lovey Maria ....I just melt when she wraps those little arms around my neck!!  Finally made it to one of our Thursday night Pub runs and after and easy 1.2 mile warm-up, I hung with a group I usually consider too fast for me --- ran 3.4 with avg pace 8:17 -- then ran another 1/2 mile to cool down!!

Yesterday I only had to go to work for 4 hours for my NRP recert so I had plenty of time to stay in Boston and actually enjoy a long run!!  Ran about 4.5 miles then met up with a friend who has a terminal, very complicated mitochondrial disease -- she is an inspiration with her positive attitude and continued focus on helping others!!  We ran almost 6 miles together talking the whole way.  She started this project called we finish together -- and has people donate medals and inspirational messages to then be given to people who might otherwise to unrecognized or who just might need a little lift as they battle their own illnesses!!  She is pretty amazing!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends -- I'm going to try and catch up more then head out for a bike ride!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Denise - that does sound like quite an amazing woman.

Such a crazy stressful week at work, trying to get so much done in time to meet the end of the month deadline and it seems like I am being pulled in 1000 directions.  I worked several hours extra in the evenings and will likely end up working most of tomorrow afternoon trying to get everything done, which really angers DH, since I am salary and don't get paid any extra and it cuts into family time, etc.  Ah well, it is what it is.

We went to an outdoor concert with friends last night, which was great fun, and tonight DD is having her birthday slumber party (she turns 12 on Tuesday).  The neighbor across the street with the 2-acre lot game me permission to conduct a flashlight Easter egg hunt after dark tonight, so I am busily stuffing plastic Easter eggs with coins and candy.  Some of the eggs will have a number inside that will give them a special prize. 

Now we are headed off to buy some small fireworks to set off, too.

6.3 easy-paced miles for me this morning in a humid 74 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  This has been a really busy week. I've been able to keep up with the reading but I just haven't been able to post.  Even now, the only reason I have time is because I had to come to my DD's house to let her dog out and spend a little time with her while my DD is out of town at a soccer tournament.  Mikey leaves tomorrow, so things might settle down after that.

Lets see...as far as running goes, I've been doing okay.   I have changed training plans because of that dang 50 miler but it still gives me two days during the week to put in some fast miles.  The weekends are going to be a bear as this plan progresses...back to back days of 3 and 4 hour runs...oh, well...it's kind of nice to switch things up a bit.

Boy, during the week, I think about all kinds of things I want to come on here and talk about, and now I can't think of anything.  I suppose I should get going anyway.  I have to go to church and shovel pea gravel...yippee.

Oh...just a fair warning...I took a few pictures at our little barbecue, last weekend and, if I get a spare minute today, I might post a couple pictures on here.

Okay--that's it for now.  See ya!

Tramps

Nice running, Denise.

Holly had me confused with Easter egg hunts.  Wait...when's Easter again?

Mike -- I went to your log page and saw that countdown clock.  Ominous!  That'll get you training, though.

I've been tired of the swarming flies this week so I drove a few miles just to do a 5-miler in peace.  3 MP-ish miles in the middle.

Be safe. Be kind.

...deez//..........VERY Cool........

=========

.......38mprnb

deo

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all for the diet tips.  I wish I weren't allergic to nuts. I can eat peanuts though, so the peanut butter and a handful of peanuts after dinner with a piece of fruit are my favorite snacks.  By the way Fletch and Irishguy, Jersey Mike's not only makes a great sub, they are also a client of mine. Support the people who do business with you I say!

Since my surgery and resuming running, my wife has been running with me every morning.  We run slowly, and usually it's 3 miles running for her, then I do an extra two for about 5 miles a day.  This week I ran 33 miles.

So today I took her to Plano, TX for a Club 5K, first race for her in over a year.  We both won our age groups, which is a good way to reinforce her getting back to running and racing. I was so proud of her. Temps were cool in the low 80's but it was very humid with sprinkles of rain.  I ran 9:01's, or 27:59 for the course. Felt okay, but my legs were tired in the last half mile, probably from my 5.6 miles yesterday.  Great start to our day!  Spareribs

C-R

Very special Denise. Cool.

Sounds like fun Holly.

Well done Ribs.

Patrick ran his 3000 at the USA Youth nationals today and got a nice new 11:16 PR in some rainy conditions. I'm very proud of him and we celebrated with Subway.

Last night we went to a micro brew comedy stand up with another couple. What a great time. It's been quite a while and I guess I'm getting old as I didn't recall the crass and sometimes vulgar stuff but the company was great and the beer was good and some of the jokes were side splitting.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Holly, being on salary can be a blessing in disguise. I hope you found a few hours to work on your case load without impacting family time.

Mike, can't wait to see the pictures.

Tramps, nice MP paces. The mosquitoes has been bad here, so I have been forced to run up Kermel grade to escape them.

Denise, your Maria is precious. Nice running sistahh. I can't wait to hang out with you at the reach the beach relay.

Speaking of the Reach the Beach Relay, we are still looking for 3 team mates. There is still time to join the fun, folks. For details on the RA group see the separate thread.

Today was our meet up group run. It brings joy to my heart every time we meet up. Today we all went scouting for a potential new route for the Autumn Leaf run in the fall. We all have so much fun. After the run we all went to the farmer's market for fresh produce.

My legs were still feeling the impact of my 15 trail miles yesterday, so I joined the slower runner for 3 miles then I ran 3 miles alone back home. A total of 6 miles for the day and now it is time to go and how my tomato row.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

5.2 miles with the club on my mountain trail.  For one woman, she is about my speed, this was her first trail run ever!!  She runs marathons too.  She said she has always been afraid of getting lost and/or twisting an ankle.  So she had some people stick near her.

It's been raining a bit, so Remi was very muddy and received a shower later.  Of course I did too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It certainly is a sunny Saturday.  Taking full advantage of it by sitting by the lake in Maine and doing very little.  3.4 miles of out and back along a dirt road this morning before it heated up too much.  A little slow, since there is a bit more elevation change than my normal flat track at home.  Missed running yesterday because of a very sore ankle that seemingly developed between the time I left work and when I got home on Thursday.  DW will gladly testify that I was VERY testy as it got sorer as the night went on--partially because it just hurt and partially because I was wondering what the devil I did to cause it, and how long it was going to screw up my running.  Iced it for a couple of hours and took a couple of ibus and it was better by morning, but not gone.  By the end of the day it was almost gone, and this morning one or two tiny twinges in the first mile, then nothing.    Wasn't even able to really figure out whether it was joint or connective.  Guess all that matters is that it's gone.

Holly--I've been salaried for more than 25 years, and while I'm sure the two companies that I've worked for have made out in the end, at least for me, I like it if I've got to go in a little late, or leave a little early, I don't have to worry about using vacation time.  Of course, my present company actually show real appreciation (read money) for extra effort.  the one before it was mostly because I liked the work and felt an personal obligation to make sure it was done.  (Sound familiar?   )

Mike--I am unfamiliar with where pea gravel comes in the normal liturgy.

I really like Jersey Mike's too.  (#6 Mike's way)  In a mild irony, I first found out about them in CA while visiting DD, and the place I normally get to eat there is in NC.  Have never eaten at one actually in NJ (that's what WaWa is for).

Nice 3K for DS, Norm.  Hope he was happy with it, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Holly - You are such a cool mom.  If we have another kid, could you raise her (or him) for us?

Deez - Someone around here collects medals for something called "Metals for Mettle". They have a Facebook page if anyone wants to see what they do.  There is usually a drop of booth at the 4th of July race I do in Frankenmuth and I have given them a ton of medals. They keep their really cools ones for display.  They had a Hawaii Ironman one last time I was there.  I need to go through my junk drawer and pull some out for next Friday.

Twisted ankles are down on my list of why I don't like trail running.  It would come after Lyme Disease, West Nile virus, and general pesky fly bites.  I'll just stick to the roads, thank you very much, where all I need to worry about are people texting & driving.

I had breakfast with Cindy this morning.  Our newish Saturday routine as we continue to get to know each other after the kids left last year. I cut the grass, and then I went out for a 10-miler in the noon day heat ( 85° ) and humidity.  I took it slow, probably too slow, and had a nice run.

mrrun

((LaT and DH)) and ((Tribee))

I've been biking more than running lately.  Yesterday took GD to Castle Island and we biked a little - amazing how kids get hungry after 5 minutes.  This morning we biked to a local freebee run in Cambridge (popsicle sticks for placement at the end), I ran the 2.5 miles and Henry sat in the shade (having run lots the last 3 days) and then we biked home after stopping for coffee and cake (so it took us more then 5 minutes to get hungry!)

enjoy the w/e everyone!

marj

LaT, my thoughts are with your husband and you.  Holly, happy birthday to your daughter on Tuesday.  ribs, neat that both you and the Saint got 1st in AG at your race.  C-R, congrats to Patrick on his PR at nationals.

Nice long runs for Mari and Dave.  Good job on the speedwork for Dave.

This morning when I went out, it was still in the 60s but rising rapidly.  There was just a light wind and a fair amount of humidity.  I wanted to do 10 miles and did eventually get it done but it was a struggle.  I was passed by two turtles and a snail but I did pass a lot of trees.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly--I've been salaried for more than 25 years, and while I'm sure the two companies that I've worked for have made out in the end, at least for me, I like it if I've got to go in a little late, or leave a little early, I don't have to worry about using vacation time. 

Alas, it doesn't work that way for me.  If I am late or must leave early, I am expected to use PTO.  If I work extra or late, I get no extra compensation for it.  When I was hired, it was hourly, and I was offered a 37-hour week or a 40-hour week, with different levels of compensation.  I chose the 37-hour week.  Then they switched to salary.  What that means to me is that mostly I try hard not to exceed 37 hours (though I do almost every week), but some weeks it is just not possible to stay within that limit and get what I need to get done.

Here's the new (to me) car.  Quite a zippy ride, and only 26,000 miles on it.  I love the Bluetooth - no more fumbling for my phone while driving.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

So today I took her to Plano, TX for a Club 5K, first race for her in over a year.  We both won our age groups, which is a good way to reinforce her getting back to running and racing.

Well done for both of you!