Masters Running

New York Marathon Race Report and photos (Read 471 times)

Sorry I haven’t been able to get anything down on my run since getting back but holy crap have I been busy since getting back from New York. Both at home and at work…crap I’m in over my head…help! But I digress so let’s get to the weekend: First of all meeting some of on-line boomer family members for lunch had to be the best part of the weekend, thanks for putting that together Hally. Here are a few photos: This is Hally & TwoCat: This is Erika and Peter: This is Amy and Daniel: And this is me, Don and Brian (ok I didn’t take this one…boy do I look like crap)! After a great lunch and some nice small talk we headed our separate ways. Brian and I headed back to our car for a quick nap before heading out to meet a group (Run For Our Sons) that he is a member of in support of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy which both of his son’s have. Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a hereditary disease affecting one boy in 3,500. The first signs appear in childhood, between the ages of two and five. Its victims are confined to a wheelchair by their early teens. The disease progressively weakens all muscles, notably respiratory muscles, compromising life expectancy. Most sufferers die between the ages of 20 and 30. Today, there is no treatment--only rehabilitation, surgical procedures and prednisone to enhance patients' quality of life. After dinner which was by the way quite spectacular, we headed for another friends house about 20 minutes away in New Jersey where we were going to be spending the night. After a fairly restless sleep, I tossed and turned all night and really didn’t sleep very well at all…oh well…I got up at about 5:15 showered and had breakfast, a bowl of oatmeal, a slice of banana bread and a cup of OJ. Then I prepared a bagel with peanut butter and a banana to take along with me for later and our friend drove Brian and I over to NY to the Park Central Hotel where we met up with the buses for the NYPD running club which then transported us to the starting area. Once at the starting area we had a nice private area with a private porta potties, a tent with some refreshments and a warm bus! We hung around for awhile and about 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start figured we should head over to the corrals. Well to make a long story short this is where the day started to go bad for me. When we get to the start (about 9:15 for our 9:40 1st wave) we were told the 1st wave had already left for the start and we weren’t allowed to proceed any further, although many runners argued and some took off, I’m just not into that. So that relegated us to starting in the 2nd wave, and they wouldn’t even let us move to the front of that wave…oh well. We finally got to head to the start about 10 minutes after hearing the cannon for the 1st wave. Just prior to that I had removed my throwaway sweatpants and sweatshirt and had on black Adidas running shorts, white short sleeve dri-fit shirt with NYPD singlet over it, red sunglasses, white Boston 2008 running cap, Asics 2110 running shoes and of course my trusty Garmin 305. Once the “start” sounded for us at about 10:00 we were off and damn what a crowd, this was tough trying to run through this crowd on the bridge was just difficult to say the least and we logged an 8:19 1st mile. The next mile was much better as we began to get into a rhythm and cruised to a fast 6:42 2nd mile which we knew was too fast and consciously pulled it back as we cruised through Dyker Heights headed for Bay Ridge. We hit the 3rd mile at 6:56 still too fast and once again really pulled back as we knew that we were feeding of the crowds and needed to gain control. Much better after this and we continued to cruise along through Sunset Park and our 4th mile came in at 7:12 and we were feeling much better about that, but it was here that I got my first hint of trouble. My left hamstring was “niggling” a slight little twinge every now and then kind of letting me know that “hey, you push me and bite you hard”! I told Brian about my hamstring just to let him know that I wasn’t sure what would take place and we continued on…our pace was fine and we really were cruising and hit mile 5 at 7:13, ok I have to say we were now coming up on runners from the 1st wave and having some difficulty maneuvering through as many were stopping dead in their tracks and walking, taking pictures or stopping to take water etc. instead of moving to the far left or right…this was really bothersome for both of us. We did our best and cruised through Boerum Hill and hit mile 6 at 7:41 a little slow but we knew it was due to the crowded streets, hey maybe it work to our advantage. We continued on and hit mile 7 at 7:20, nice back to a more reasonable pace…OW…that hamstring is getting more insistent that I back off! Damn I feel so good right now, well let’s see how this plays out as I ease up just a bit and know that we can. We hit mile 8 at 7:27 and I can still fell that pain but maybe it’s better…yeah right…mile nine presents a little bit of a hill but we manage it in 7:30 still rolling right along. Ahhh mile 10 how sweet and we hit that in 7:21…only 16 to go Bob. I’m not sure what happened over the next two miles as we slowed to a 7:37 and 7:36 pace respectively at miles 11 & 12…probably my subconscious trying to do the right thing. OK the Pulaski Bridge is just ahead and we’ll be heading into Queens and the halfway point. We hit mile 13 at 7:32 still cruising along pretty good, but I am slowly beginning to realize that I’m in trouble as my hamstring is beginning to scream louder and louder and more often. We hit mile 14 at 7:28 and other than my hamstring I feel great. I have taken fluids at every aid station and fueled per my schedule but nothing is helping my hamstring and I am going over my options as we continue on and hit mile 15 at 7:53 as we climb the Queensboro Bridge and hit mile 16 on the other end at 8:01, not bad it’s a pretty significant climb. Now we put it back on cruise control and hit mile 17 at 7:34 and then mile 18 at 7:39 and YOW…ok ok I hear you, my hamstring has made it clear that it is now or never dude…you keep pushing me and putting you down you hear me! I reluctantly let Brian go as I reel it in knowing that this is the right decision, but still quite disappointed as I know I have that 3:15 in me…just not today Bob. I just couldn’t risk seriously injuring myself and who knows what kind of set back that would cause…so this is where I simply drop back and roll along not even worrying about my time with one exception…if at all possible I would still get in under my BQ time of 3:35:59. Well without dwelling on those final miles I strolled in at a relatively pedestrian pace and finished with a BQ time of 3:32:21…and you know what? I’ve surprised myself with how happy I actually am at my decision and my time. It shows just how far I’ve come with this running stuff…especially the marathon! And the best part of all…I don’t even feel like I ran a marathon, I have absolutely no residual effects in my legs etc. The only thing I still have is that little “niggle” in my left hamstring which had actually been bothering me a bit for a few weeks leading up to this past weekend. Oh and Brian had a great race and finished with a PR of 3:18:27!
      Please send my congratulations to Brian on his new PR! It was great to meet you and your friends at the lunch. Nice race on your part too! Sounds a bit like my Missoula race. Happy to have done it. Happy with the results and now off to conquer that time goal in the next marathon! Yes, you will do it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

maine, good race and it sounds like you were sensible to back off your pace. You have been running a lot this year, and maybe your body is telling you, "Enough." I enjoyed your race report, but it would have been easier to read if you had broken it up into short paragraphs. A solid wall of words can be daunting. Just a word to the wise. I know you law enforcement guys are used to packing in the words tight on all those forms you have to fill out, so it is probably a habit. About the photo of you at lunch: I'm guessing you had a few beers and that's why you came out blurry. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Head Procrastinator

Bob Congrats on another BQ and being smart enough to know not to push it/ It was great meeting you and the guys at lunch and please congratulate Brian on his PR for me!
          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          Henrun

Congrats, Bob. You Maine Rowdies are unbeatable!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Congratulations Maine!!! Thanks for telling us who is who in the photo's - and I FWIW I think you look great! You ran a very smart race and I enjoyed your journey. Congratulations on your BQ too!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bob, thanks for the excellent RR and pictures from an excellent athlete and runner. You make running a Marathon seem so effortless and easy....and another PR Smile Just want to let you know also that I have learned a lot from you, during my Marathon Training expereince...thanks!!! Greta job Tim Wow...Erika is a Gorgeous Goddess, which I already knew Wink

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice going, Bob! I envy you guys with speed and ability. You and Erika both got BQs with less than ideal races, which most of us can't even imagine. Glad you're happy with your results, and I hope your hamstring issues aren't serious. And a special thanks for the pictures! You guys all look greta, and I hope I get to meet you all some day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Excellent example of wise decision making. A ruptured hamstring would set you back months, not to mention gotten in the way of your work. The 3:15 is now still within reach and that's a great time, given all the difficulties you encountered. Yes, echoing everyone else, add my congrats to Brian. He should get 2 medals so each son can have one. I bet they are both courageous fellows and follow their dad's running feats closely, no? I'll stick up for you and say I didn't see any beer being served at that end of the table! grins, A ps: Memphis is Dec. 6, and it benefits St. Jude's Childrens Hosp. AND you finish at the Redbirds Stadium (Class AAA baseball team) AND AND can use the locker room to shower and change after the race. A real almost-MLB locker room!
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      WOW Bob!! great job and great race report!! you are a smart, FAST runner and that 3:15 will be there for you!!

denise

Way to go, Maine. Getting together with a bunch of people from RA is neat. Thanks for the pictures. To have hamstring problems that cause you to (wisely) back off and still get a BQ is pretty fantastic. Congratulations. TomS
                        DickyG

Well, pal...this sure adds another dimension. I always knew you were strong & fast...now I have to add smart to that list. The fact that you did a 3:32 with a sore hamstring is just remarkable...a huge "well done", my friend. Also loved the pics...you folks just looked fabulous. OK, Amy & Erika looked fabulous, you & Twocat looked somewhat less that fabulous. It was a great adventure and a gutty race. DickyG
                          evanflein

Bob it was so good to finally meet you in NYC!! Congrats on the BQ, and I know just what you mean about wanting a certain time but it just wasn't the day for it. You did a smart move to back off... one of these days I hope to be smart like you! Big grin Please pass along a big high-5 to Brian for his PR race, that's wonderful to hear.

Marathon Maniac #957

I reluctantly let Brian go as I reel it in knowing that this is the right decision, but still quite disappointed as I know I have that 3:15 in me…just not today Bob. I just couldn’t risk seriously injuring myself and who knows what kind of set back that would cause…....it just shows just how far I’ve come with this running stuff…especially the marathon!
                              Huge wisdome and restraint you show here - excellent! This has been a hot topic lately, when to push through and when to back down, and I am a prime example of doing that wrong this summer, which cost me weeks of not running. Knowing when to let it go and save it for another day - awesome! Great race and report, excellent pics, and a huge congratulations to your friend as well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Patriotsr1

Great job Bob. Gotta be kinda hard to back down when you are still feeling strong, but that is the smart thing to do. Hope everything rounds back into form quickly. Hope to meet you @ Boston. paul