Masters Running

BOSTON RUNNERS (Read 136 times)

It has been a long time since I came to check in with this special group of people.......a lot has happened in the intervening period of time.  I can perhaps do an update later.

However, when I heard the news from Boston, I HAD to check in to see if my friends were safe.   How wonderful to see that everyone in the group here seems to have been protected from being in that direct explosion area at that specific time.

In reading this whole thread, it is interesting to see just how the tone changed.   One minute the concern was for who had finished and what the times were for each runner.    Then came the explosions at around 2:56.   In a matter of just moments, everything changed.   No more was the concern for running and racing.........now it was time to check on friends and their very existence  hoping and praying that everyone was okay.

That is an excellent example of life huh?    What we once thought was important will one day suddenly not seem to matter after .....that accident.....that doctor's report........that loss of a job........that conversation.......that loss of a loved one......that phone call......etc

It is always good to check our priorities huh?    Life goes fast and things happen so quickly.....and sometimes we wish we had done some things differently.

Hope EACH of you is doing well

Vista

Ditto as per Vista above. . .

I'm very glad for the safety of this community how ever far we may be scattered.

Thoughts and prayers for those who were not spared. . .

I found it so tough to talk to my kids about it and found myself going back to this:

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

~ Fred Rogers

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Even at 78yo, he's way too fast for me ever to know, let alone see except in the results of many local races in the PNW where he is a legend, to say nothing fo the national and world masters circuit..

The accompanying news article in a local paper indicates he was only ten feet from the finish line, and five feet from the second explosion but somehow walked away. .

• Boston Marathon Explosions

Police officers react to a second explosion at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013. (AP Photo/The Boston Globe,

bigstory.ap.org/article/78-year-old-runner-knocked-down-boston-blast

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Have'nt been here in awhile because of an injury and surgery but I had to stop by to check and see if all of our friends here that were there are all ok!My thoughts and prayers go out to all who were injured!

usandtoto-2@msn.com

I'm another one who hasn't been here in a very long while (close to 2 years).  Anyway, I'm in deep shock  and disbelief over the events the hit Boston today.  Though, very happy to look into this group and see everyone coming together to get the word out.  You are all part of a very special group of people.  My heart goes out to all those runners and families.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Maniac 505

I saw that Jon,  so glad Bill is OK

I to am so angry about this, but what the talking heads on TV keep harping on is how could someone have gotten into a secure area like this.   As anyone who has been there knows,  this is not a secured area, it is a parade route.

unfortunately, we have an infinite number of potential targets in this country.  We will always be good at protecting the last one that was hit.  We can't do a lot about protecting the next target.  Sadly, the best we can do is take reasonable precautions and go on with life.

evanflein

Wow that is close to home... glad he's ok, all the news said he was hit by something. Thanks for that update, Tet.

I really can't add more than what Jay, Joey and others have said here. In the midst of the shock, horror and anger generated by this day's events, this group pulls together and rallies for our fellow runners. And while it's too bad it takes something like this, it was really good to see so many old friends stop by to check in and see how everyone was. I wish you folks would stop by more often!

Bushrat Runner

I wish I was bright enough to offer a solution to the increasing frequency of idiotic terror acts. But I'm not.

I feel a bit odd saying I'm glad people we know weren't hurt, knowing that it is pretty selfish when there are a lot of people out there this evening wishing they could say that, but unable to do so. Still, it reminds us all to be thankful for the well-being that we do have, each of us.

Like Vista I had to check in on my forum friends to see that all is well.  My hopes and prayers go out to the runners, the injured and their families.  I tried to explain to my wife tonight the feeling of elation that you have as you finish your marathon, then you see this where  at least 3 killed 100's injured, on what should be a wonderful occasion. I will check in soon

marathon derrick

dg.

Wow that is close to home... glad he's ok, all the news said he was hit by something. Thanks for that update, Tet.

I really can't add more than what Jay, Joey and others have said here. In the midst of the shock, horror and anger generated by this day's events, this group pulls together and rallies for our fellow runners. And while it's too bad it takes something like this, it was really good to see so many old friends stop by to check in and see how everyone was. I wish you folks would stop by more often!

+1

Sayhey! MM#130

Like others, I came back for the comfort and support of this group.

I have no words, just need to be here.

Aamos (Amy)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

What a wonderful community of runners. We feel so blessed to have met so many of you and feel like we know those of you we have yet to meet.

What a wonderful community of runners. We feel so blessed to have met so many of you and feel like we know those of you we have yet to meet.

Agreed!

Mariposai

I just want to express my thanks to each one of our running friends from the past who came to check on us yesterday.

We miss you all. We are glad to know that you are still part of our lives.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Well said!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."