Masters Running

Fantastic Friday 05/08 (Read 32 times)

Good morning good people! Rise and shine! I used to hate it when my mother would come in my room, pull open the shades and say that

I hate to start the day with a non-run post but today is a much needed rest day for me. I'll do some swimming later but I'm doing my best to follow my training schedule down to the very last day. Hey Mike! The extended forecast looks ok - around 50° at the start. Of course, the weather guys around here aren't accurate with tomorrow's forecast so I have no idea how they can predict next weekend.

Holly - will you be having a big graduation party for you DS?

Hi Starr! And wecome to our new people. This is a great group of folks. You'll like it here.

Two houses Mike? Have you been watching HGTV lately?

Awww Carolyn - sorry it's snowing. We seem to have jumped right from winter to summer here.

Quick survey here:  What would be the perfect Mother's Day for all of the mothers here? This obviously means after you get your run in

Carpe Diem!

Dave59

Good morning. 

A transformer blew-up in Charleston WV last night knocking out power to the offices where I work.  The system is on a battery backup but that lasts only long enough so you can shut everything down in an orderly manner.  I was really hoping for a nice quiet day today, but unfortunately the power is back on and the systems will be back up by 9:00.

This morning I met a couple guys at the Chippewa Nature Center for another early morning trail run.  Got soaked and muddy because one guy didn't believe the other guy when he said a certain trail was a swamp.  No problem though. I hosed off when I got home.  I ran for an hour and then we looped back through the parking lot where I dropped off and 2 people joined in.  A very slow 4.86 miles is all we went.  Some of that time was going part way into a swamp and then turning around and coming back. :roll: 

It was a good 4.86 miles though.

Bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning.  Little bit of cheese on the eggs.  Out of Reese's Cups so no dessert. 

A perfect Mother's Day would be one where Cindy takes a long nap and doesn't ask me to do anything around the house. 

C-R

Hi All. Quick drive by post. I wondered why the hotel was so noisy last night and this morning at breakfast there were 50+ teens in the lobby getting ready to come to downtown DC. Needless to say I am typing this at Starbucks where it is quiet and there is actually food. The breakfast bar looked like a group of locust went through at the hotel. Forgot how much teens can eat and not add weight.  Dave - did you have any left overs? My stomach is growling.

Lots of meetings but I do get to watch the VE Day flyover at the Mall today. So that will be good.

Have a great day everyone and Jlynne, I use "Up and At 'Em" for wakeups in our house. Kids "love" that one. Hahahahaha.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Friday greetings to all.

this is the kind of weather where I can actually say JTWILI.  50's in the morning and 70's for later in the day.  4 miles around the lake this morning right after sunrise.  First trip in a new set of Sketchers that I bought for my trail race over Memorial day.  They've got a little stiffer sole with nice lugs.  Also cushier than the GoRuns.  I think I'll like them.

Welcome to the new (or returning) folks.  Hang out and enjoy the company.

I like your breakfast choices, Dave.

Enjoy your long run, Carolyn.  Even if it involves snow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I remember when Holly and I would run together in Dayton and our kiddos were so young (or younger then anyway). Congrats to your DS!

TGIF! Drove through several inches of wild hail in Colorado Springs yesterday to get a flight in Denver and then flew from Chicago early this morning and almost home. Head spinning travel these weeks, but it's all good and it is busy season.

A perfect Mother's Day? Hmmm.....a long run, a glimpse of my boy in person or via FaceTime, and time with my beloved SuperGranny---that will be a perfect day.

I've been running every day during this travel fun and I love that actually---best way for me to learn to navigate a city or town. Since last week it's been London, Westminster, MD, Radnor, PA, Colorado Springs, CO, Chicago......next week Kansas City, Columbia, MO (working at Mizzou and get to see the kiddo!), Raleigh, NC, and then Ithaca, NY. Yee Haw!

Sounds like it's school trip to DC season C-R!

Two Houses MikeE? Do tell!

So sorry I'll miss you at the Memorial Day races in the Berkshires Aamos! I've run the full, half, and 10k there in the past years and love the cause the race supports (Wounded Warriors and affiliated charities). The RDs entered the race into the USATF-NE Grand Prix, but Vermont City won the bid so that's where I'll be instead. Enjoy it and save leg strength for the grinding climb in the last miles as you head to the finish line at Tanglewood.

Slo

Dave, I installed a genset for our IT department a few years ago. Our massive UPS gives them about 90 minutes. The virtual services do not like to go down hard and creates a ton of headaches.

I've gotta get out of my routine and start running some different routes.

Too early to check those extended forecast yet Jlynne

Singer who runs a smidge

I lurk, but rarely post, because I don't actually run.    I'm doing PT for a monster double case of runner's knee, which seems to be helping, in that most days I can now walk a little without much pain.  But y'all are fun, so I lurk.  Thanks for the welcome!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sayhey! MM#130

Reprinted from Jay's post.....

Good luck, have fun, and no worries about a non-run post Jlynne!  Looking forward to the report.

Who's been punching Jay??  We'll get Tag after whoever it is.  Avenge away!

Welcome Murphy and Hope'smom.  C'mon along!

sayhey, jes' fer the record, that was not a complaint about the h&h.  I agree, I Gladly, Most Gladly, traded in the cold, icy sleet and snow and ice, did I mention ice? fer the h&h.    You don't hafta scoop it.

YAY DS, Holly!

Ribs!  I keep wanting to ask, have you tried protein powder?  I have to keep up on protein too, but I don't eat much meat AND also need those oats, so I add a scoop of protein powder either to the oats directly or shake it up with the milk.  A scoop is 60-80 calories and about 12-16 grams (you can use plant or whey protein) of protein.   I make sure to get the brands with 1 gram or less of sugar.    It's good to have around; I use a cup in the energy bars I make, and you can always shake some up with a little liquid if you're having a low protein day.

Hang in there, Starr.  And Dave, hope you get some dessert sometime today.  How about an ice cream float?  (I don't why, that just came into my head.  Maybe the "scoop" word did it.)

Too bad about the C. Springs weather, CNY--I really like that town.  Used to run the Labor Day Marathon (when I lived in Rapid) that is on a lot of the bike path there.

Say, the Sox didn't lose last night!  And there is also a Watertown in South Dakota, a fact that should make you a step ahead of the news today.    All of the Democrats (approx. 84) in South Dakota may be there.

O, love the Frank M marathon in Juneau!!

I read about that FLYOVER, sounds really worth seeing.  Post a photo if you take one, C-R?

Decided to sign up for a 5K tomorrow after running with the Speedsters last night.  I've missed them!  And the 5K is on the beach, so sort of slowish, but folks are going to hang around after and enjoy the beach (Lover's Key)

I just saw the Jersey Boys movie and really enjoyed it, nevermind what the critics said.

So since stopping by yesterday, there are 16+ miles on me.  8+ last night and 8 this am.  Feeling peppy; must be the Vernors Ginger Ale I found at the market last weekend!  (Michiganders will understand).  Some places import it in for the Snowbirds.    I love it; takes me back to my youth, and it was my brother's favorite (so of course I love it.)

grins and super weekends to all you superheros.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Welcome HopesMom. Lurk all you like, post when you feel like it.  There were a couple of others who joined us the last couple of days and I forget the names but welcome to you too.

CNY, nobody I know travels like you do, and all that running too. Where on earth do you get the energy?

Aamos, thanks for the tip about protein powder.  That's what I really need to do. I will look at the LDL next blood work and if it's up significantly I'll go that route. I appreciate it.

Was in Einstein's the other day for my bagel (cinnamon-raisin ten grams) and saw they had some "Power Protein" bun.  Wrote to them to ask how much protein.  They wrote back and told me to ask the store. So today I did and they told me it had 11 grams.  What's the big deal? Bought one anyway.

Glad some of you are getting good weather. After last night's t'storms it was hot and muggy in the park. The Saint and I did 4 slow and complained the whole way.  When we finished we laughed about what babies we were about it, but we sure were happy it was over.  3 tomorrow gives me 5 weeks in a row of 35 or more miles.

Big day in the Rib Cage today as it's Hudson's final day of school.  Exams next week then graduation and off to the U. of TX.  When he enrolled there in 5th grade, 8 years ago we thought it would never end, and how that time flew by.  He really distinguished himself and made us so proud.

Spareribs

Hello everyone,

Today is a rest day for me.  Our oldest daughter is coming to visit for the weekend. We plan to go to The Wilmont Bar for supper tonight (population 343).  A classmate of mine has been in the restaurant business for at least 45 years. First at his dad’s, Michael’s Steakhouse, then at various places in the area. Now he’s back in the area at this little bar/restaurant. Their homemade onion rings are absolutely the best!  We will play a few hands of Shanghai rummy tonight too, that is always fun.

Tet – How did you know we are going to Alaska?  I am sorry that we aren’t going until August.  The race sounds fun.  Erica, are there any races late August or Early September that I should plan to meet you at?  We rented an RV and have two weeks to travel wherever we want.

I also welcome Murphy996 to the group, and welcome back to HopesMom.

Survey answer: My perfect Mother’s Day would be to wake up to a warm, sunny and calm day. A pain free 6 mile run would be a bonus.  Receiving telephone calls from DS and DD#2 along with the 5 grandchildren would be a super bonus. Spending the afternoon on the boat in the sunshine would be a super, super bonus!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

A very handsome young man, Ribs! I can see both you and Louise in him - a perfect combo of both!

a perfect Mothers Day? hmmm, I told my guys I really didn't want to do much that day. I don't like waiting and dealing with crowds for a meal, so not crazy about going out to brunch or anything because anyone feels "that's what we should do". . . my DH's mother is passed and my mom said that her and my dad were probably going to go on a long Harley ride somewhere. I probably would just  most enjoy having my leisurely cup of morning coffee on the patio, watch the hummingbird wars that take place every day, go for a nice trail run with my dogs . . . and oh yeah, continue to get my upstairs back in order after having the new carpet laid last Friday. We are still working on moving things back but are going through everything first and deciding if we are going to hang on to things, store certain things in attic, get rid of other things, etc. Trying to be more organized and not just stash stuff in closets that serve no purpose, yk?

challenging 5K tomorrow. Tough As Nails.  David left for a meet at 10:00 a.m about 2 hrs north of us. He doesn't run until 9:45 tonight though and they are estimating they'll return by about 1:30 a.m.  This is the last regular season meet and District Championships are next Thursday/Friday.

Tammy

evanflein

I feel so out-of-it these days! Had a great conference in Florida but never really got out much. Busy schedule and really good info and networking. Got back at 2 a.m. on Thursday (wow, yesterday early morning) and back at work after 4 hours of sleep. Spent yesterday trying to catch up at work with moderate success.

Amy, we saw Jersey Boys on Broadway and loved it! Felt like we'd been at a concert. Never saw the movie though. Glad to hear you're pain free these days, that's definitely the way to be.

And yes, was that Slo who says hates to do speedwork and then complains about not being faster? I'm right there, too.

Great Bloomsday race, Mariposai, with some great company! Congrats on your new job, I think that's awesome.

Riley is a cutie patootie! And yes, my first thought was it looked like a selfie! Too funny...

Murphy! Ah, an ol' buddy from my marathon trainers forum. Nobody has posted there in quite some time. Glad to see you back at it in your usual style... little training and ambitious racing! Hey, how are those kids these days? I used to always request kidz pics from Murphy and he always had something to share.

Speaking of kids pics... That Hudson is quite the young man! He's grown up so much from when I first met him, wow. But, I guess that's what happens when you keep feeding them, right? Congratulations to him and his soon-to-be-empty-nester parents!

Congrats to you and your DS, Holly! Which school did he decide on? I saw your Carmel marathon photo and agree it was very good. Sure wish I could take a good race photo, but it's certainly a rare and unusual thing.

I managed to run each day in Florida, but geez it gets light late there! And there's almost no twilight. It's dark, then it's kinda not so dark, then it's "sun's up!" I'm used to a much longer twilight phase. So since I wasn't going to run in the dark in an unfamiliar area, and meetings started at 8, that left time only for short runs of around 5 miles. Looks like this will be another week barely over 40 miles. Dang, got kinda used to those 50-60 mile weeks there for awhile! Will get out for another shortish run later today, taking a "late lunch" after my real lunch settles.

Nice here though, getting up to the low 60's now with low 70's forecast for next week. Starr, we should "talk" about your trip. I'll send you a message to see more about what you're planning. August could be pretty rainy....

evanflein

Oh, my perfect mother's day would be much like Tamster's, but without the hummingbird wars (since we don't have them) and without the dogs (since I have cats, and they don't want to go on a trail run I'm pretty sure). Otherwise, sleep in, coffee on the deck, go for a run, putter around the house. Of course, there's always the hilly Murphy Dome Roam race (4 extremely steep miles up, 7 gradual miles down) at 9 a.m. and my DH is working at commencement (alumni association stuff). So who knows what will actually happen.

Sayhey! MM#130

LOL at this...and agreed.....also remembering meeting a little Hudson in Omaha, where he played the piano for us.......and I still have and wear the "Boomers' Reunion" red singlet.

Speaking of kids pics... That Hudson is quite the young man! He's grown up so much from when I first met him, wow. But, I guess that's what happens when you keep feeding them, right? Congratulations to him and his soon-to-be-empty-nester parents!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

My perfect mother's day will be to wake up with a kiss, drink tea in bed, stay in my silk pijamas until noon, then put on the hiking shoes and go for a hike. Dinner on the deck, a glass of red wine at night and then off to bed to relive in my mind the fabulous day. Yeahhh, that would be just perfect.

Bo running today since I am running a trail marathon tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard