Masters Running

Saturday 4-6-24 Daily (Read 36 times)

Tramps

Good morning.

Gorgeous sunny weather here...until you step out and realize it's also very blustery. Upper 30's for my 5-miler with the trees mostly protecting me from the wind (and squeaking and creaking in the process).

I just realized yesterday that my hometown is in the 99% eclipse range and I could have easily planned a family visit and driven just a short distance to experience the total eclipse. Oops.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tomorrow I plan to run down by the Ohio River. It will reach flood stage in Huntington tomorrow morning so it will be a site to behold. The river has to flood to well above flood stage in Huntington to cause any issues. It has to be quite a bit above flood stage before they close the flood wall. But it will still be something to see.

Is that all along the river? Maysville KY is just a bit downriver from you and whenever I'm there, my favorite restaurant on the river is actually outside the flood walls; you have to drive thru the flood gate opening to park there.

Not a bad day today and getting warmer again. I rode my bike in the basement and then have various garage and yard chores to do after lunch. Enjoy your weekends!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

5 miles around Huntington this morning. Ran through Marshall University, around the football stadium, and along the Ohio River.

Flood stage in Huntington is 50 feet and that is what was predicted this morning but it only made it to 48 feet, so not much to see. I did a little research on the flood wall. Apparently, Huntington would flood a little just about every year but in 1937 the river got to 69 feet and covered the city. The building our church meets in has a picture from back then and the water was half way up the walls on the building. There were 5 deaths from the flood. So it was decided to build the flood wall. It was one of the very few projects that was not stopped during WWII.

The gates on the wall were last closed in 2021.

Here is an opening in the wall:

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/435507551_10231344506811447_5128591660758871392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=SZ3ZL8ICdRkAb4aT1pv&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfCJCPk5as1-RYIc5JMHo9ZS_h2vlMVAEbAYXSowlWkrAQ&oe=66174FD1

This shows you where 69 feet would have been in 1937.

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/435512914_10231344505291409_2843129482314896914_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=j_CLf1Ne534Ab7aCxLh&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDNDxAKQWkW23e_pJpowhr_wbJBvJiE00tZK_90unyOyQ&oe=66174D52

I went around the fence and took a couple pictures of the river.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/435480538_10231344504811397_3649704069734622819_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=4nZBrQwdQGcAb6mdzUs&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AfA0L78nukVEZneA3gZO2QmiD0C7-Yi16CcRyt_gzkziEg&oe=66174673

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/435469568_10231344504211382_8130961369929610213_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=awGMTcBulbYAb474KbL&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDN_RsCA4dn9X9TSHui4fCrPyoxvGjS6WIAiiNgSmnl_Q&oe=66172CEF

Here is where our church meets (Orpheum Theater) back in 1937.

https://www.ohiowatershed.org/assets/story-images/OVR-levees/levees-huntington-1937-flood.jpg

Thanks, Tramps.  Love the pictures, Dave.  Good run.

My 5K "race" was torture.  I am NOT in 5K shape speed-wise and it felt SO HARD.  2 minutes slower than last summer when I basically was on my last day or so of COVID.  I maintained my pace, slow as it was, surprisingly.  I wanted to quit or walk the whole time.  38 degrees, which is not my idea of a nice spring race.  Sunny, though.  It was in this kind of posh development called Westhaven (planned community and upscale- sort of Stepford Wives vibe, but nice) and is a nice little community run with lots of kids, strollers etc.  Only about 200 participants.  Some roll, but a lot of flat, too.  I was glad to finish. 32:14.  I'm getting old.... Would have won my age group if there had been one.   Also did a warm up and cool down.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

8 miles this morning with the Sole Sister crew!! I don't typically run 2 days in a row, but thankfully felt really good. A little fatigued by mile 7 but I'm good with that!! We had a "send-off" party/morning rally for our Sisters running Boston - we have 4 invitational numbers gifted to our club for it's volunteer work and a total of 14 runners including those who qualified or are running for a charity.

20 min glutes/leg strength class, 20 min climb ride and 10 min stretch class

Now dh and I are heading in to our first Bruins game in ages  - he won the tickets at his Union meeting and we have access to the private club Legends before and after the game (I'm sure that will cost a pretty penny)

Have a greta Saturday!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all!!

This morning Maggie and I went to Breakheart.  We did paths and roadway. and about 2 miles.  Very good even though I had a couple of close call due to my stability 

Do any of you have a phrase for doing a search for previous RA???   I seem to remember that Running Ahead has something to do with it, but that's all   I will look forward to doing so.  Thank you kindly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting pictures, Dave!  And nice 5 miler!

Karen, way to persevere at your 5k.

Stumpy, sorry you're still having stability issues, but nice walk with Maggie!  I don't quite understand what you're asking about RA?

It's cold and windy here, with intermittent sideways snow flurries.  I wasn't planning to go out, but my new Coros watch came yesterday, and of course I had to test it out!  I just bundled up and walked 1.5 miles.  Took me a while to even figure out how to start and stop it!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - very impressive.

All they ever show on the tube news when floods happen around the country is all the sandbagging preparations. The 1937 pic, though, reminds me of the old one in the hospital history I found in a waiting room book during TKA pre-op visits, coincidentally dated right after my birth there when I was still inside it for some medical issues that came up.

KSA - excellent 5K.

In particular, 30 min is the new 25 min for 5K's.

Unlike most anything over 10K, being too short to need to walk or take it easy like i loved the marathon distances and beyond for, you look pretty silly walking in a 5K and have to run hard all the way which made it my most dreaded race distance but, since I used weekend races for my marathon training instead of training, I ran for the 25 in plenty of them in those days. Now that that's about as far as I can run without complete exhaustion, though, walking is the norm and I've already done three this year but, so far, that's it. Ed note: all more than 20 minutes and more, way more, than your 32.  Good job.

Stumpy - me too.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could type in a couple of key words you remember from a long ago post of yours or somebody's in an RA search engine and, voila!, it would just materialized back on the screen. 

Do any of you have a phrase for doing a search for previous RA???   I seem to remember that Running Ahead has something to do with it, but that's all   I will look forward to doing so.  Thank you kindly.

Unbelievably, though the Yoshino cherry blosdsoms that rarely, if ever, make it a more than a week or so past St. Pat's Day, the mild weather that maintained their full blooming for three-and-a-half weeks through April 2 early this week when a heavy overnight rain brought an end to it all are still blooming in bits and pieces on scattered twigs off the main limbs that, for the first time in my cherry blossom viewing since 1965, the remnant five-petaled, white Yoshino are over lapping with the early blooming of the otherwise later blooming, multi-petaled, rose-pink yaezakura.  No wonder I love Japan so, . . I mean, Seattle so much. 

Took advantage of it with some meanderings mostly down in the Cinatown ID where some of the fallen twigs are now in a white-and-rose bouquet on the table. In this regard, I remember Steve's picture of a lot of them from up there in Michigan but, in spite of their beauty, the UW's Quad and the Tidal Basin in WDC are the only parkland cherry blossom viewings that seem able to get any mention at this time of the year.

In the meantime, the Shell prices that went up from $4.99 to $5.09 at the beginning of last month and then to $5.29 two weeks aga are now up to $5.39 for this month but, somehow, the Shell station out the window up by my favorite hospital is still at $4.79.

ps marj - busy, busy, busy?     

ETA - whoops not so fast on timing my day for some paperwork in front of the tube this afternoon while watching the final four: like yesterday's final four, and the NCAA football semifinals and championship game between two alma mates that the then NCAA president Marc Emmert already discredited from when he was UW AD gave to ESPN that I can't get, current NCAA President Baker has given the BB games to TBS that I cant get either. What a cheapskate. Ed note: that would be tet for hanging o to his rabbit ears and refusing to pay for TV that he still thinks should be free., 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Doug - what is the restaurant in Maysville, KY that you like?  Looking at it on a map, Maysville would make a lovely motorcycle ride for us - if we take just country roads we could get there in a little over 2 hours.  If we booked a hotel for the overnight we could explore the area a little.  Anyway, what restaurant do you like so I can add it to the itinerary?

Dave - lovely pics!  Just curious, though, do they have something more than that chainlink fence for that opening if it floods?

Dayton had its "Great Flood" in 1913, when I think downtown was about 13 feet deep.  After that, they built the five dams around the Dayton area to keep that from happening again.  The entire town of Osborn was moved 2 miles away as part of the flood control project, joining with the town of Fairfield to become "Fairborn," where I grew up in one of the houses that had been moved (not sure how they managed it in those days).  Here's a picture of the University of Dayton area.

Photographs and Postcards

KSA - ouch!

Kevin - yes, me too on the not sure what you are asking - or even how to search anything here.

Tet - I have really enjoyed your enjoyment of the cherry blossoms - thank you for taking us on the ride!

We are in full "Eclipse Mania" right now, with all the news people reiterating the same stuff over and over, "Don't stare at the sun!" or "Don't drive with your eclipse glasses on" and "Don't use your map app on the phone, use a real map, so you don't bog down the cellphone towers" and "Fill up on gas and food NOW!"  and other such warnings.  Several of the local cities have declared states of emergency so they can have extra resources for everything from emergency personnel to police on the roads.  They think there may be a 13-hour back up on the freeways (?) and say all the hotels are booked up and Hertz car rentals are up 3,000% in our area.  Wapakoneta (smallish town north of me)  hotels have rooms that cost more than $1,200/night.  If you have ever been to Wapakoneta, you would know how ridiculous this is.  Hopefully it won't rain...

We are going to get about 3 minutes of totality here, starting about 3:10pm, so our office is closing at 2:30pm to allow us to go view it.  Pretty cool.  I only live about 12 minutes from work, and can take side streets to get home to avoid the freeway.  There is not going to be another total eclipse in Ohio for 200 years, so it would be wonderful to actually be able to see one in my lifetime.

43 degrees this morning, breezy but with bright sun, so I got in 5.05 miles.  Surprisingly, my foot did not hurt.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi all,

I’m relaxing on the couch with my cat after a splendid half marathon this morning. It was in Corvallis, home of the OSU Beavers, and all the orange shirts around me were unsettling, as I had worn my UO Ducks green shirt. The best part of the course was all these adorable delivery bots earnestly going about their deliveries on campus. I also saw Llamas and Turkeys. Took 8th/24 in my AG with a 2:22.  Very happy about that, considering I’m 20 lbs overweight.

Great race, Econo.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

an amazing likeness

A good tool is to use google's ability to limit your search to a specific site.

So in google, use "site:runningahead.com [search term]".  For example to search for posts with keyword "Braveheart" your search term would be: site:runningahead.com "Braveheart"  .

On another note, Kevin -- the amount of storm destruction up here from 12-18" of heavy, wet snow and 50+mph winds following the ice/sleet storm in late March is significant. Tree destruction is massive in the area with Grey/New Gloucester getting hammered. So have someone check on your camp if you can.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

MilkT - very neat search phrases, . . . to say nothing of pretty impressive pictures from last month. Near your place?

ps - can searches be limited to Master's Forum?

Holly - very neat how many rural road options there are out there in the Midwest compared to mostly the ones out here being dictated a lot more by mountains and rivers. So much more history in your neck of the woods too. They're bad enough but sounds like floods were everywhere vs Seattle only has mostly mudslides and sloughing slopes.  

Econo - If you're ever overweight, I'm fast. Maybe you were way faster than me than I remember from running days with you but I think you're Corvallis Half was at about the same pace you were doing too in our marathons twenty years ago.  Good job.

ps - I remember hotbot was the first search engine I used before Google but, without any around Seattle, didn't know "delivery bot" that, being an "autonomous delivery robot that provides 'last mile' delivery services to bring goods to customers" makes me wish they could apply the "last mile" part to my races.

The best part of the course was all these adorable delivery bots earnestly going about their deliveries on campus. 

Took 8th/24 in my AG with a 2:22.  Very happy about that, considering I’m 20 lbs overweight.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Saturday managed to be Cold and Hot at the same time

brought

light and heavy jackets just in case

Luckily

there were Little League Baseball games at the Y and city parks

so

probably 20-min cross country

to what

turned out to be yet again ANOTHER Little League Baseball game

so I bagged it

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thak you kindly, Milktruck!  I will try it tomorrow!

And that is a  for the pictures.  Didn't know there was THAT much snow

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.