Masters Running

FRIDAY, Sept. 19 runs and such (Read 437 times)

mustang sally

Bad faerie

FYI, I thought all along I needed more support, not less...I was wrong. Heck, I was thinking I needed Brooks Beasts, or some really bad ass heavy 10 pound structure shoe.
    I'm coming to believe that it's not as simple as the Shoe Guys would have us believe. I'm a tall, Athena-class (ahem), knock-kneed, flat-footed, slow runner who has had a three-year struggle with shin pain in custom orthotics and/or motion control shoes. At the physio's suggestion, I tried out a pair of lightweight neutral cushion shoes (Adizeroes) and have never been so very happy in all my running life. It all takes experimentation, doesn't it. Ribs, who let the sojer back in here?

The Jogger

Quoth Econo: "It's the yoga-chatter that puts me to sleep" I saw that. Now get your weight over the entire base of your hands, open the hamstrings, and press the chest deeply down through your shoulders. And breathe, woman. Breathe. Mustang Lurker
      Sal, are you sure this is yoga you're talking about Big grin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Now get your weight over the entire base of your hands, open the hamstrings, and press the chest deeply down through your shoulders. And breathe, woman. Breathe.
        Carolyn topless - Tammy's hot tub party....now this. Is it hot in here, or is it just me Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

7 miles on the treadmill at 7:58 mile pace. I will be at National Guard drill tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. Tramps will have to find someone else to kick around this weekend, because I'm outta here! Angry Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            Friday - 6.09 miles - 50:24 (8:16) Avg HR 130 Max HR 139 - 56 degrees, breezy & 48 % humidity Busy weekend ahead - gotta show an apartment this evening, then pick up the oldest grand daughter so she can spend some quality time with us overnight into tomorrow. Then bring her back late tomorrow afternoon and then head down to York for a nice end of summer party we do every year at work...then Sunday's 5K and Half Marathon runs. I'm already tired! Tongue
            wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck to the weekend runners! Erika, I hope there's no snow on Esther Dome and your foot feels OK. Cheffy and Teresa, have fun running your first half marathons! A word to the wise - find out ahead of time what the aid stations will be handing out - at my first half in June, they only had water, and I ran out of energy. So on my second one, I carried Gatorade and knocked 10 minutes off my time! Holly, I hope your half is pain-free and you can be as over-exuberant as you want! I ran 3.5 miles at lunchtime - not quite as hot as yesterday, but still 71 and sunny. I tried out a new trail in a park near the office (Bluff Regional Park, recommended by Mtnchk). Very hilly, but there was a nice breeze at the top. I'm getting really close to 1000 miles for the year, and should go over this weekend. I think word's getting out that we're having too much fun on this site - the kicksters seem to be infiltrating! Clowning around

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

mustang faerie, hi. nice to have you around. bless you for keeping that avatar. do you know if the Adizeroes are anything like Nike Frees? i started wearing those recently, and now it's almost all i wear. i'm supposed to be wearing stiff soled shoes, a graphite insert thing, or orthotics, or have surgery. and 'never go barefoot'. i love these. i'm faster (it's relative) & just run better. at least i like to think so. the podiatrist that made all the other recommendations goes to my gym where i run on the track during the week. I keep hoping he just doesn't remember me.

Marathon Maniac #3309

i'm supposed to be wearing stiff soled shoes, a graphite insert thing, or orthotics, or have surgery. and 'never go barefoot'.
                  WOW, that sounds like some sort of punishment to me. I really don't know about the Adizeroes you mentioned...are they suppose to be more of a neutral shoe? Good luck, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

The Jogger

((((((((Debs)))))))) Hope you are feeling top notch again soon... roy
                    evanflein

Now wait a second. Aren't you Alaskans the folks getting something like $1200 per person in oil kickbacks plus another $2000 per person in energy rebates paid for by the oil companies who pass along the cost to...who?...oh, yeah, us! Wink I'm just sayin'....
                      Hey, they pass it on to all of us. The $1200 was the "energy rebate" (stoopid name) because the state is making so much money off the oil royalties (and the oil companies are STILL making record profits!), but residents are really struggling, especially in rural areas where unleaded gas goes for around $10 a gallon! So all summer various relief options were tossed around, and finally it was sort of a last minute deal was struck where everyone eligible for this year's Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD, or "personal flotation device" as many refer to it) would also get this "energy rebate," which amounts to essentially $100 a month, as well. Babies, toddlers, teenagers, and adults all got it. Guess they realized that big families needed more "relief" but no geographical difference was considered. So.... some large families in Anchorage (where costs are lower) went out and bought snowmachines, 4-wheelers, plasma TVs, etc, etc. Sort of ridiculous, actually. (ok, some folks all over the state spent it on stupid stuff) The "PFD" this year was a little over $2,000, and that's due to investment return on the Permanent Fund, which comes from oil royalties. There. That's the Alaska economics lesson for the day. (and I kept all political overtones out... I think)
                        Hello inmates in this asylumn. Youse guys always make me laugh. Ran 5 sunny beachy miles yesterday. I am still on island time after being on Maui for a week. That half marathon was a blast! Ice sponges are just grand.
                        Shoot, missed seeing you there. Those sponges saved us--and there were so many! What a gorgeous place. A little under 5 for me today--Today is National Run At Work Day, and we had a little observance hosted by the local Y. Beautiful, in the 80s and sunny. Wait til next year, when we do it up in style! Anyone else observe the day? grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles
                        dg.

thanks Roy!! cracker run for you this morning. Smile I'm getting there. still loopy. going to the gym again in a few minutes. I've never gone at night. ought to be interesting. Tim, i don't know what they are... I looked a little but didn't find much. They're what MS has been wearing. I'm so glad your shoes helped. thanks... & I think you're right. It does sound like a punishment. Bad feet, Bad!!! Erika, good luck tomorrow. remember,,, nycm, nycm, nycm, .... can't wait to hear your report. will be sending you anti-slip vibes. Aamos... ice sponges? How is your DH? thank you for the thread filling us in. i learned a lot. I didn't know about national run at work day. too bad. I've been wanting to do that. have been a little hesitant because of my usual post-run state.
                            My evil twin won....I ran. I did 30 min on the bike, then 1 mile w/u run @ 5.6mph 2 miles @ 7.0mph 1 mile c/d @ 5.6mph then another 30 min on the bike. Hey is this a brick?? Best part.....my foot feels fine!!! I AM SO HAPPY!!! I feel like myself again... whew. Reading the instructions to my Canadian passport, there is a section on "Travel with a Same-Sex Spouse". Now, I am not starting any kind of debate, moral whatever, we are all going to keep our opinions to ourselves, but I got a kick out of it as it starts off "Although same-sex marriages are legal in Canada...///... (and lists a few countries) and the U.S. state of massachusetts...///...homosexual activity is a criminal offence in certain countries and could result in a prison or death sentence." Gotta love that Canada.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Best part.....my foot feels fine!!! I AM SO HAPPY!!! I feel like myself again... whew.
                              Yaay!! {{{Dg}}} Deb, check your e-mail.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Got my 3 mi on the sand in soon after Mr Nono arrived home....glad I made the no shoes decision up front, 'cause by .3 or .4 into the run, it would have been made for me. A huge river in an unusual spot mid-beach (probably due to extra high tide this week or something) gave me wet, cold feet as I turned into a 500 mph wind from the north. I thought I'd go deaf with the wind roaring, but figured, 1.5 mi is less than many a concert in my past, so suck it up girl and go with it. It is Classic Car weekend and Irish weekend, and I had the entire beach to myself. Entire. Probably 'cause of the 500 mph wind. Anyway, hadn't seen my Garmin show 12:00 pace in a long time, but hey, it was 500 mph out there. When I turned around, I had a sensation I've only ever had skiing - I was having a hard time staying over my feet! So I concentrated real hard, and got myself over my feet, and finally made some skiing to running connections. That was cool. Esp. with the surf right next to me. Then I thought -- "I must be going faster than usual." Well (at that moment I looked) my Garmin showed a 5:30 pace. Never saw that before either! Made me Big grin. I kept it up as long as I could -- but then that nail gun stab feeling I was getting last week started showing every once in awhile, so I backed it down a bit. Overall 27:37 -- nice warm up for tomorrow morning's run. Wishing great things for all the weekend racers! Good luck!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!