Masters Running

Boston; a volunteer's perspective (Read 383 times)

CW. THANK YOU for volunteering. Boston sure wouldn't be what it is without the volunteers who were everywhere, cheerful and helpful to the end. I can't help but think that if Chicago had the BAA running its race (with its volunteers) last Fall then they never would have had the debacle that occurred. Ray
      Jay! Thanks for this perspective! Thank you for volunteering. (I don't know how to post links but here is one about Team Hoyt. Rick is not mentally retarded, he has cerebral palsy from a birth injury, nuchal cord. He earned a degree from Boston U. and has his own apartment) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI When's your next event Jay? Have you been walking a lot? Thanks again for this report! Here is the link that will make the tears flow... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uulmhtAeGI&feature=related
      LaVita
      busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks for volunteering Jay! Boston and other events wouldn't be the same without the help of the amazing volunteers! It was nice hearing about some behind the scene logistics that go on. Thanks for posting!
        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
        also on Twitter
          Thanks for your report, Jay, and thanks for your volunteering. It's interesting to read about the race from a different vantage point. TomS
          pfriese

Just wanted to add my thanks for the race report and the volunteering. Paul
            coastwalker

Hi all, I apologize for my inaccurate description of Rick Hoyt's situation: he does have CP, and I should know better. Thanks for the corrections. The only downside about volunteering is that it gets you so excited, you want to jump into the road and join the field. But there are lots and lots of upsides to helping make another race director's race a success, and in helping runners and walkers, who are out there working hard, have the best race they can on that day. I wish I could race more, but I can't. For me, volunteering is the next best thing. and volunteering at Boston is always a treat and an honor. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

People don't realize how important the volunteers are! Thank you for giving your time to help out. You had a pretty awesome spot to see the race too!!!
                I agree, except that every single runner out there DOES realize how special the BAA volunteers are (heck, some of the runners, like CNY runner and btb double as volunteers!), many times over. They are unfailingly cheerful, encouraging, patient, and giving. You try and thank one, and they respond "Have a great race!" They try and make everything easy for you. I even got the volunteer who took my chip to kiss Wally, the Red Sox mascot I ran with, in lieu of his getting a medal. Now that was above and beyond! (She was pretty; Wally's smiling!) grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                  Without volunteers, the race wouldn't exist -- thanks so much for your support for the runners during the race.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PJH

Thanks for volunteering, Jay! Your report certainly gave me some insight into what goes on behind the scenes that you don't see. Your efforts are certainly appreciated. I don't know how many times this past weekend my friends and I commented on the logistics of the race, how well organized it was, the multitude of volunteers, etc, etc. Congrats on contributing to the Boston Marathon success! I regret to say that I was not one of those runners you were describing with the high knee lift/kick, etc. Well, there's always next year. Big grin PJ

King of PhotoShop

You know how I feel about this subject. You guys are the real heroes of the Marathon. Thanks for this Jay. Spareribs
                      btb1490

Thank you Jay, for your hard work and service, so that the runners can just go out there and do what they are there to do... run! It's pretty cool hearing about the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, I don't think many people realize all that needs to be done.
                          Jay what a great day! It was great to read about your volunteer activities on the day of the race. As Rose asked - I am also wondering When's your next event Jay? Have you been walking a lot?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Jay, your report adds an important dimension to the other reports. Without volunteers, there wouldn't be a Boston. Having such helpful and well trained ones really adds to the tremendous atmosphere. In the March of the Potatoes, I interacted with several volunteers, whose first words were always congratulations. Nice.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - as it’s happened to me too, sometimes volunteering generates more adrenalin than the event itself. Did you see any qualifiers who might have switched to race walking? I think the regular non-race walking for most marathoners’ starts around mile 20-22. thanks for being here. - jon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

J As Rose asked - I am also wondering When's your next event Jay? Have you been walking a lot?
                                Hi LaT and Rose, So nice to hear from you! I've finally started walking again. I've had a piriformis issue that has kept me on the sidelines for too long this Spring but, with some aggressive stretching, I'm getting it resolved. I'm back up to 4-5 miles on my workouts, and now need to see if I can go that distance consistently without my piriformis tightening up on me again. It is important to me to be able to get in shape for a couple of fall half marathons. The first race in the Seacoast Series (that I also help organize) is this Saturday. I'm working there before the race, and also thinking of walking it. It is the Children's Museum 5K in Portsmouth. I will also be walking a 5K in Exeter, NH in a few weeks, which'll be my last race in the 55-59 age group. I'm giving serious thought to starting a new race up here. When I first told DW that, she said she thought I was absolutely nuts (and she may be right...). Then I explained that I want to hold a race for walkers only, and she changed her tune and is supportive of the concept. So stay tuned, all you walkers! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.