Masters Running

Wet Wednesday, 5.16.12 (Read 370 times)

coastwalker

Congrats on the hardware win on Sunday, OM, technicality or not! What is especially good is that you felt good throughout the 10K. Good stuff.

Tramps, whenever I suspect I might have come in contact with Poison Ivy, I almost immediately (within an hour or so) scrub down with Tecnu (sp?). It's great stuff that will get rid of oil before it becomes a problem. I used to get a nasty case of PI at least once a year - but not anymore as long as I follow that routine.

My internal alarm didn't go off till 4:15 this morning, so I was late getting out the door at 4:30. It was mild (59F) with a heavy mist that turned into moderately dense fog down by the ocean. I think it was the ocean - I could hear it and smell it, but I sure couldn't see it. I focused on turnover rate this morning, which was easy since my shoes were making that sucking sound on the wet roads: Suck, suck, suck, sucksucksucksucksuck... It made me laugh, but it also made it easy to keep that focus on how quick each suck followed the other. (You all aren't reading anything into this, are you?  Shocked) I was thinking this morning that I haven't finished a workout on this route in under 1:01:+ since i added about 2/10ths mi. a couple of years ago. Today I did it in 1:00:49. Its a teeny tiny little victory that means nothing to anyone but me. And that's OK. 

Enjoy your day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yes, congratulations OM!!  

Jay - did you have a sucky workout this morning, or what!?  Wink

I was out for 3.5 miles with Brinkley this morning.   He didn't seem to be too into it today and kept wanting to stop and eat grass and smell things.   When we got back I took B'Nellie out for 1.5 miles.   She is a good pace runner until I say "okay, let's go home" and shaa-wing...off we go!   My last mile was 9:38 thanks to her.  Big grin    Overall 5 miles at 10:17 pace.

Happy Hump Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Practiced my first 5 miles pace for this weekends Green Bay Marathon.

Target 5 miles @ 8:00 pace.  Actual 5.65 miles @ 7:58 pace.

Enjoying the taper, eating like mad and fretting over little stuff. Looking forward to a fun filled weekend.

King of PhotoShop

Not a lot of free time for browsing here so I have missed much of the news.   Except good for you Mat.

The weather in WA continues to be spectacular, so much so that the people here talk about it nonstop. You would think they were used to it being rainy or something.  So this is the third day of sun and people can't believe it.  Easy to get up at 5 a.m. to run with the two hour time difference from home.  I'm off to work.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Dang it, Mary--you beat me to it.  I was going to say that Jay's workout sucked.

Oh--yeah--that was quite the trophy OM received, too.  Congratulations!

So...I haven't said anything about my wayward son, Eric, for awhile because I haven't wanted to jinx anything.  He has shown promise and signs of changing so many times only to go back and do something that sets him back even further than he was.  It was always one step forward and two steps back.  Well, a few months ago, while I was at one of my dislocated workers workshops, I learned of a program that the government is funding to get people into the manufaturing fields and they were offering a Precision Sheet Metals course completely free.  Well, I wasn't all that interested in it but I brought the information home and gave it to Eric...since he had been lying around the house doing nothing ever since he finished high school in January.  To my shock, he jumped at it.  He put his remote controllers down and, together, we filled out all the paper work and sent it in.  He took out all of his facial piercings (except for his earrings that hide the quarter inch holes in earlobes), let me buy him some new pants that actually cover his butt crack, and he has been attending classes for the last two and half months.  Tonight he graduates from the program! 

This has been about the best 2 1/2 months that I have ever spent with Eric.  I've had to pick him up from where he's staying and drive him into school every day and I haven't minded it one bit.  He laughs and jokes around with me like he never has before.  We have had real in-depth conversations about some real personal things and I have been amazed to hear things from his perspective.  It really goes to show how a little hope can change somebody--and believe me--he has changed completely.

We still have some things to get through.  He still has to get a job and find a place of his own to live.  But that will all come--I'm sure of it.  The other thing I'm sure of is--I lost my job so that I would be able to help Eric through all of this.  We would have never even known about something called "precision sheet metal", let a alone a free program to teach somebody how to do it.  And if we had, we wouldn't have had a way to get him there.  And, when the time is right, the perfect job will fall into my lap, too.

Anyway--I just thought I'd share that with you guys.

Slo

That's awesome Mike.

Somebody once said..."Don't ever give up" I think I may have seen that on a running related shirt or bumper sticker once too.

A few years ago I attended a motivational speech from a very well known University of Iowa wrestling coach. He is a very driven and extremly disciplined man. His youngest daughter who was in her younger 20's at the time was getting some pretty bad press and making some pretty stupid decisions. He shared the story of thier battles...The point was; There is a purpose for eveything and don't ever give up the fight.

Good stuff...Thanks for sharing and I wish you guys the best!

Tramps

OM—3rd AG; woo hoo!  Congrats. (You should know better than to mention the technicalities.)

Carolyn—you got me. I didn’t understand the Hawaii reference. Confused

Jay—thanks for the suggestion; I had never heard of this.  My problem, though, was that I had no idea I was exposed until it was much too late.

Mike—Congrats.  Sounds like Eric’s doing some growing up. 

Not a “wet Wednesday” here but we had torrential rain with nasty lightning and thunder last night.  The windows were rattling; yowsa.

Garmin was off the cradle, so an untimed 5.2 miles this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

A quick congratulations to OrangeMat.  I have at least one AG trophy earned via the same "no double dipping" hardware clause.  They look just as good as the others!

Mike E sounds a like a wonderful result all around.  I hope it leads him to a fulfilling career.  Some of us just take longer to grow up than others.  From what you report, your DS seems like he is on his way.

Today was an elliptical day.  I was pretty fatigued.  Unless I feel a lot peppier tomorrow I may take a day off from running or elliptical, or I may just elliptical again.  We will see.  I hope to run though.  On Saturday I want to go out with the joggers club and the no two running days in a row rule will mean no running on Friday if I want to do that.  Then there is how to handle next week with my having to be away for all of it.  Decisions, decisions. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

MikE, that is wonderful news!    Not only is he finding a trade that gives him self-worth, it is also a trade that he can do very well at if he keeps going with it.   I find this to be very encouraging and there is a purpose for everything that happens in life.   It is just up to us to figure it out.

Thanks for sharing with us!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

I'll add my congrats to OM  - pretty cool to win an award for your first race in your new AG!

Tramps - the Hawaii reference was to a famous leper colony there.

Mike, I'm really glad to hear Eric is doing so well!  You guys have been through a lot with him, and you're a good dad.

Nice pace run, Slo, and glad you're enjoying taper.  Looking forward to seeing how your race goes!

I'm only in my first week (ever) of taper, and I'm not sure I like it.  I want to run today, but I'm following coach Mike's taper plan, and today is a rest day.  Yesterday Mike ran 8.2 miles, so I ran 8.2 miles.  (monkey see, monkey do?  Joking)   My run was great - I felt good even after Sunday's 22 miler, and I ran one of my favorite steep mountain trail routes.  Good thing Mike's plan didn't specify what pace to run, or how flat it should be. I'll just say it more than met Twocat's criteria of at least +/- 2,000 ft elevation gain for posting a run!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Jlynne

That's wonderful news Mike. Isn't it awesome to see your kids fired up about their future? College isn't always for everyone.

Congrats OM! More importantly, nice to see your post today Smile

You're ready Carolyn. You too Slo. Forecast update: 40% chance of rain, 62° at race start. It will probably change again before tomorrow.

5 miles on the eliptical this morning.  No more long runs until Sunday. Must. Stop. Eating....

Good news from Eric about his DS.  Glad to hear it.

Dave59, check your Messages.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

OrangeMat

MM #6177

The other thing I'm sure of is--I lost my job so that I would be able to help Eric through all of this.  We would have never even known about something called "precision sheet metal", let a alone a free program to teach somebody how to do it.  And if we had, we wouldn't have had a way to get him there.  And, when the time is right, the perfect job will fall into my lap, too.

+1000

So happy for you, MikeE, and for your son too. Things do work out. Smile

Bushrat Runner

Jay...while reading about your sucksucksucky run I was wondering whether the sucksucksuckiness would drag you down...then you finish off with a faster than normal clocking! Cool. I was also realizing that if it was 59F at 4am where I live, I might not be quite so liable to sleep through that phase of the day...

MikeE...thanks for sharing your experiences with your son. It is always good to read about the positive developments in people's lives. The newspapers only remember to put the negative stuff out there more times than not...

I'm headed off to work in a little bit, but will run at lunchtime. The news today is that I think I may have resuscitated my garmin last night. I kept trying soft resets and it would seem like it worked...but after shutting off it wouldn't turn back on again without another soft reset. So I had tried hard resets, but that was getting the same result. Finally last night I decided to keep trying, and I finally must have done a hard reset properly. I think I was holding the buttons too long before. The hard reset process finally gave me the option of clearing all user data, which I did, and it so far appears to work like a champ again...we'll see if it still turns on when I get it out for my run...

wildchild you are clearing 2000' too easily these days!  Shocked Maybe 3000' should be the new 2000'! 

rhoon phast good news on the Garmin!  Congratulations!  I hope it stays working.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/