Masters Running

Friday Daily Funnies and Running or Something 1/6 (Read 536 times)

Well I just read this article by Jason Gay in the Wall Street Journal titled "The 27 Rules of Conquering the Gym."  It is hysterical.  If you cannot get through the WSJ's firewall then I highly recommend getting a copy of the paper today just to read this one piece.  Here is my favorite of the list:

15. If you're motivated to buy an expensive home exercise machine, consider a "wooden coat rack." It costs $40, uses no electricity and does the exact same thing.

I sure hope most people pay no attention to this edict!  If they do my days of buying inexpensive used coat racks on e-Bay for my gym will come to a crashing end!

As to running, I am off to see my rheumatologist now.  Then, I hope with clearance, it will be a 4 mile day outside.  The weather here in CT is really nice today.  Well nice for January.  If this were June I would be complaining up a storm!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

TwoCat....my treadmill is right next to my ironing board and it makes a great place to hang things that I have just ironed.  Big grin

Sleepless in Michigan reporting in.     I am making a vet appointment for Huntley today.    I fear that he is showing signs of heart disease .... I hope I am wrong, but I tend to have a pretty good handle on symptoms when it comes to my dogs.   **sigh**   So, I was on the couch sleeping when he would let me last night.  

{{{Denise}}}

I think I spotted the porcupine in the tree.

So excited for OM!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

{{{Huntley}}}  I hope everything turns out well.

Last night I went for a 23 mile bike ride in shorts. That just ain't right but I ain't complaining!

7 miles (in shorts) this morning. Somewhat of a tempo workout...more like a fartlek I suppose.

It's Friday, I've got a ton of things I've committed myself to, it's spring like weather and I ain't sticking around 1 more min than I have to today!

Twocat if this article causes wooden coat racks to skyrocket in value your collection will be worth mucho pesosJoking 

Thanks for the tip on the article.  Off to the gym in a few minutes. 

What a short winter we had Confused   back to 46F today and the snow is melting. 

Mary best wishes for Huntley.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thanks for the Friday funny, TwoCat.

Sorry to hear the suspected diagnosis, Hopeful Mary. My sister's dog is heading toward CHF. Is on Lasix now and other palliative Rx.

0532. 37F. 5.25 miles. Started with the RS and Steve and Sonya and ended with Bruce. (The others went swimming)

Oh what a beautiful morning!

Oh what a beautiful day... 

MTA: Hi Sarge! Hi SloHand!

And. Just got a text from LMRS. (or DD) and  "the eagle has landed".  She and her entourage are at MCO. On the way to WDW.  Yippee!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mariposai

Oh what a beautiful morning!

Oh what a beautiful day... 

!

Yes what a beautiful morning. I can see the sun coming up the mountain and I am already done with my 10 miles this morning, with 6.5 miles at tempo. It ended up being an average 8:35ish pace. not bad, happy with it since the leg has been feeling rather heavy all week.

Twocat, I am now a proud owner of one of those coatracks also. I love it! Good luck with the doctor!

Go orangemat goat.

Ohhh, did I mention that it was warm (26F) during my run? weird, this is January, it should be around 6F around here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Twocat- DW sent me that article yesterday. My 2 favorites:

Give yourself a goal. Maybe you want to lose 10 pounds. Maybe you want to quarterback the New York Jets into the playoffs. But be warned: Losing 10 pounds is hard.

and

Fact: Thinking about going to the gym burns between 0 and 0 calories.

As for me I ran for 40 minutes on the coat rack at the gym yesterday and will run outside after work today. Have a great day everyone.

King of PhotoShop

2.2 with my running partner and Lucy Von Sheltie.  Lucy very jealous of my RP.  Gorgeous weather here in N. TX, will hit low 70's today. I think I am well rested and well trained for tomorrow's race.

Speaking of well-trained, good luck Mat.  Let the people behind you see lots of orange.

Good one TwoCat.  I found this website where people send in their epic fails. One I liked and just put on FB:  "When you have two errands to run that include dropping off a firearm and going to the bank, always drop off the firearm first."

Back to work.  Spareribs

5 miles with a running group this morning. Their pace was slower than I would have liked so I'd run ahead a few blocks, run back, run ahead, run back. Unheard of temperatures for this time of the year. 39° when we took off at 6AM and virtually no snow on the ground. This winter has truly been a runner's dream - no need for the coat rack so far!

(((Huntley))) Good luck at the vet today Mary. I hope it's not heart disease but no one knows more about dogs than you do.

Hoping for 4 miles for you today, Twocat. That article was hilarious!

Hi Craneium! Nice to see you pop in today.

Good luck with your race tomorrow Ribs. Run well, OM!

Evrything's going my way!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Looks like we're all enjoying the weather lately. We've got daffodils coming up, for Pete's sake! Ran a nice 4.4 this morning, actually a little fatigued after 5 straight days with aerobic activity. But we're still going for a walk later in sunshine and mid-50s. This is my first time posting from my new tablet. This thing is major league cool! Asus Transformer Prime (Android).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Ran for 58 minutes (striders in the last 10 minutes of the run) and what a spectacular day--42 degrees, clear and calm winds. IRC

Hudson is sending big love out to his father---Huntley-----he leans just like Huntley did when we met him this summer. {{{{Huntley and dog-mom Mary}}}}}}

I hope you get good news Twocat and fabulous article. Thanks!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

(((Huntley))) Good luck at the vet today Mary. I hope it's not heart disease but no one knows more about dogs than you do.

Well, my vet knows more than I do, and I have never been so happy to be wrong!    His heart sounds great and we are now thinking it is more psycological as his eye sight is getting bad, especially at night - which makes total sense.   He never wants to go out in the dark unless we are with him, and nighttime is when he starts acting the weirdest.   So, just some "sleeping pills" for a few nights to get him back on track and worst case scenario, he may need one every night forever.    She also told me you'd be surprised how many dogs are on Xanax or Prozac.  Wink    Full blood work up just in case though

It is so nice outside I have my window open because Huntley is with me at work until his dad can pick him up.   Sure would be a nice afternoon for a run!!  Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

hopeful4ever that is very good news.  I hope you and Huntley have many more happy years together!

Spareribs I have to remember that cautionary tale for future use!  Great one liner.

Doctor cleared me to run.  He said just go ahead and be careful.  So it is basically whatever plan my PT and I come up with at this point. So, today was officially my first "good patient" as opposed to "bad patient" run!  A whopping 4 miles!  Better than nothing.  Plus I was accompanied via cell phone by the lovely Ms. Mariposai which helped speed the miles along.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I didn't even know the Asus Transformer Prime was available yet.  That's the one I've been waiting for.

4.7 random, slow miles for me today.  50°/shorts.