Masters Running

Two's-Day Nov. 25th Runs and Rests (Read 794 times)

hopeful4ever sometimes any diet "help," is well help! nonoruns careful about that knee. While the 40/0 club was fun you really do not want to join it! I hope the rain lets up. WillRunForBeer I have found all sorts of problems with Garmins like when they turn themselves on and burning up their batteries while you sleep. I am not sure but it seems to me they have some odd programming issues. breger1 boy can I sympathize! I always wonder the same thing - how did I run a race at this pace? Tongue Jlynne good to see another member of TM haters of the world! Welcome to the club! Tramps IRC! I am so jealous! It is cold and raining steadily here. dg. nice run. I suspect that for non-professional athletes our body fat level is determined by our weight. But it is clear from some commentary that weight training to build muscle will also reduce it. I am not sure though how much of that you would need to do. DickyG at 99 Zycams a pop I hope you have a way to get them wholesale! perchcreek as always a good run! Holly S. I am not fond of running in the cold but I too find it "improves" as the winter wears on and I get acclimated. Of course, the first day of spring when it hits 65 or so is still great! Smile Twocat I wanted to take a minute and explain that my handle is not due to the fact that I am grammatically challenged. (Editor: But you are grammatically challenged. Twocat: Well, yes, but that is not why there is no "s" at the end!) Here is where my handle comes from. A long time friend of mine is Chinese American. She named her cats in Chinese and they do not have plurals. As the years went by the various cats ended up with names of Onecat, Twocat, Three-Three, Fourcat, and on and on. (Three-Three was due to the fact that if you mispronounce Threecat it sounds a bit like Dead Cat, and she did not want that.) Anyway, as you should have guessed by now my handle is a tribute to the second cat she owned, alas long since deceased. It is cold and raining here. It is supposed to clear up later on. If it does I will see about doing a run. I am running the local 5 mile Turkey Trot here on Thursday. But in a moment of mental weakness I volunteered to help with race setup and packet hand-out tomorrow from 4-6pm. Oh well, maybe it will be good for my karma quotient.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

No turkey trot for me. thanks for the feedback. Lou... after you stopped counting calories, did you just keep the new habits? I'm still curious about this. have read a little, but the numbers vary so much. I can't think of any logical reason for age to make a difference in this. According to the age graded charts, I'm too low. (but I'm not). Twocat I am doing weight training, maybe not enough. I'm still getting a massage every other week, & am checking it on his scale.. only twice so far. It did go down a little, so maybe it'll just continue. My BMI is 20.1, ok but not great. I do want to lose a little weight, not a lot, but the fat % I'd really like to change. if his scale is right... another eek. 21.9, I think. anyway, I'd like to lose fat but not muscle. Twocat, nice name story. How are your hamstrings?
        Breger-Nice intervals... I'm on a diet now too...NO MORE DORITOS!!! Rest day for me...back at it hard tomorrow Dicky G-Obviously he didn't understand bear foreplay
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, I think doing lunges on a moving dreadmill would take more coordination than I possess. Good luck with that! Breeger, that sounds like a pretty peppy tempo run to me! And you were lucky that the running gods smiled on you during your half and let you string together 13.1 fast miles. So quit whining! Wink Jeanne, I love the picture of you and your son in your profile! The rest of you should check it out! And wimping out usually means not running at all - you went to the Y and faced the dreadmill - nothing wimpy about that! Peter, I'm not doing an official Turkey Trot, as we live an hour from town, but I'll probably do my own personal version in our neighborhood with the dogs while the turkey is in the oven. If I had a race in running distance from home, like Holly, I'd do it. dg, I agree with Twocat(s) that weight training helps lower body fat percentage, but it sounds like you already do a lot more weight training than most of us! It's supposed to hit 60 today, so I'm planning on another of my usual lunchtime runs. It's such a nice break from the office.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I do want to lose a little weight, not a lot, but the fat % I'd really like to change. ... anyway, I'd like to lose fat but not muscle.
            Then do more strength work and check the bathroom scale daily. It's not rocket science. As we age, our ratio of muscle to fat tends to worsen in favor of fat. Therefore, even if your bodyweight does not change, you will gradually have more fat and less muscle as you age, making you weaker and flabbier, even at the same bodyweight as when you were younger. Unless you do strength work. So do more strength work, such as weightlifting. Weightbearing exercise (like squats) is particularly good for your bones. You can look at my workouts to see what I do. It works. You may of course choose to do different strength exercises depending on your preferences, goals, time available, and personal health history. Up to you. Q.E.D. (Quite Easily Done). Just don't lose sight of the basics in a cloud of verbiage and rationalizations, which many people do. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              Parent conferences today, so I'll be at school from 1 p.m. until 8:30 tonight. Took advantage of the morning "off" to sleep in until a little after 7. Dropped off my car for an oil change and ran 2 miles back to the house. The owner of the garage knows me well enough by now to not even offer to drive me home, even in the rain. Smile Of course, now that I'm leaving for work, the sun is out. Confused Saw parts of my town that I haven't been in since Jr. High. Will definitely do more explorer-type runs in the spring when I'm home during daylight hours on weekdays. Toying with the idea of doing a half marathon again, but refuse to commit at this point because twice now I've signed up for one only to get hurt the very next day. Looked at a training plan from Runners World and another from long-lost CR and have decided follow a sort of hybrid of the two. The HM's I'm looking at aren't until May, and the plans are 12-16 weeks long, so I figure I'll repeat week suntil I can run the whole way and feel pretty strong doing that. First step is to increase running days from 3x to 4x/week without too much of an increase in mileage, and I'll also continue to increase long runs by about a half mile each week. Now all I have to do is start planning the artwork for my tatoo . . . . . . . Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

thanks for the feedback. Lou... after you stopped counting calories, did you just keep the new habits?
                Basically yes. I counted calories for a really long time, though, even after I was at a stable weight. Did I mention I'm a little OC? Smile I started running after losing weight; I stopped counting calories but well after I lost the weight (lost weight starting 1/18/02, started running 5/15/05, last calorie count was 1/22/06 after 4 years Shocked ). By then my goal weight was fairly well established (duh). And of course the running helped the "calories out" part of the equation. As you may be able to see, I recorded all this data in a spreadsheet to watch my progress and provide motivation. To this date I keep my running log in a file called "weight tracking" and I take my weight every morning. It's a lot easier to make little adjustments after gaining a pound or two than to make major adjustments after gaining five or ten. MTA: Actually, I think PDR found some paper data which showed me starting at 165, so that's why the 25 lb. claim. Here's my data from 2002. Note how my calorie intake started low and got higher as my weight approached where I wanted to be. Also note how I kept adjusting my goal to something which seemed achievable.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good Morning! Lunges on a treadmill are way beyond my coordination. I've fallen just running on a treadmill and have scars on my knees and shins to prove it, yecch. Be careful, people! Tramps, you sound too sane for a person about to run a marathon. What's the secret? Twocat, nice story. I figured it was something along the lines of Three Dog Night. (I'd heard that comes from an old African way of gauging night temperatures. When it gets cold at my house, I often tell Kate & Spencer to get ready, it's a Twocat Night.......which since they sleep on the bed most nights, means little to them.) Don't know what I'm doing today. Prudence would call for another day at the gym, maybe elliptical. Say, anyone here ever consult a chiropractor? What do you think about effectiveness? grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

Lou, exactly. There is a huge weight-loss industry only because millions of people refuse to recognize or accept or understand this simple fact. As you also point out, it becomes harder to lose weight as metabolism slows down, but the method remains the same. However, most people lack the self-discipline to eat less as their metabolism slows, and to compound the problem, they often tend to get physically lazier as they get older. The lack of self-discipline in eating is so pervasive, that people will assume anyone who is actually thin must not have to make any effort to be that way. I can't count the number of times people have commented to me, "Of course it's easy for you," or "I wish I had your metabolism." In fact my metabolism is just like anyone else's. I can easily gain 5 pounds in a weekend if I don't watch my weight like a hawk. My weight has gone up 10 pounds in the last two weeks, because I have been lax after my Army fitness test (and a bit depressed because I expected to do rather better than 12:50 for 2 miles). I will never forget a conversation I had once with a very obese woman. She was telling me earnestly that it was impossible for her lose weight because her thyroid was under-active or some other B.S. excuse. I told her, "If I lock you in a room and you are only allowed to eat what I give you, you will lose weight." She got very upset and attacked me with an angry irrational outburst, not omitting the standard accusation, "you couldn't possibly understand because it's easy for you." This annoyed but did not surprise me because many people are incapable of discussing their weight rationally. Dark Horse
                    I surprised you admit that metabolism does slow as people get older, and its not all just their pesky irrationality and laziness. Big grin

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

Did I mention I'm a little OC? Smile Also note how I kept adjusting my goal to something which seemed achievable.
                      WRFB, I'd say you're a LOT OC! But nice graph! Big grin And congrats on losing the weight and keeping it off. And I noticed that you adjusted your weight goal twice, after you'd already reached the new goal. Kind of like writing "get up" and "eat breakfast" on your to-do list - very easy to check off!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mary, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope your tummy troubles improve enough to be able to run some this afternoon. I'm with Aamos on lunges on the TM. I nearly fall over when I try them on the floor, let alone on a moving surface! Nono, sorry to hear about the knee trouble. I can empathize. I've been dealing with a knee problem for a year now and nothing seems to help very much, even taking time off. I may have to break down and go to the doctor, as much as I dislike the idea. Bill, whenever I run a tempo run I wonder how on earth I could possibly hold that pace for a half marathon. I guess there is something in the taper and race day adrenaline that does it. No Turkey Trot for me. I hope to take advantage of the day off to get in a 10 mile run before beginning my cooking marathon. dg, I think weight training is the key to improving your body fat ratio, particularly if you aren't looking to lose weight. I lift twice a week, but you could do more if you have time. Gradually increasing the weight you are lifting will help build muscle. Aamos, I did go to a chiropractor briefly for ART - not sure if that counts. I am not sure it did much good, though. It was for the piriformis thing that ultimately I think was cured via stretching and doing adductor / abductor exercises. Lou, you are way OC! I cannot believe that chart! I ran 8 miles today in really nice weather. It was about 50 and sunny, some wind but not too bad. My hip is feeling much better, but the knee continues achy. I think I managed to be under 8:00 miles the whole way, though, so that is good. Total time 1:02:15. Meg

Once a runner . . .

Just sticking in my two cents worth on the weight issue, especially slower metabolism as we get older. I run/cross train 6 days a week. This includes using free weights and the machines at the Y. My eating habits have not changed (HONEST!), and I've gained 3 pounds in the last year.At age 56, I know I'm fighting a constant battle with bone loss, slower metabolism, etc. It's just hard... and I can't imagine how heavy I'd be if I didn't exercise a lot. It's the old question: "how bad do you want it?" I've given up thinking I could ever be thin, but it sure would be nice to eat a cookie once in a while without it showing up on my hips a week later. I'm doing a 5 mile turkey trot on Thanksgiving, and a 9 mile "noodelini" on Sunday. I hope it warms up a little and some of our snow melts.
                          Tramps

Tramps, you sound too sane for a person about to run a marathon. What's the secret?
                            Amy, are you asking me for marathon advice? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Yeah sure, right after I call Yo-Yo Ma and give him a few tips about his cello playing. Actually, I’m laying especially low this week hoping this darn hamstring twinge I’ve been feeling doesn’t act up this weekend. I’ve started icing, Ibuprofen, and gentle stretches. It’s really not much right now but what will it do after 20 miles? We’ll see. Also, I got an e-mail from the race director about likely weather conditions, which I thought was awfully nice. 30s-40s with showers; could be worse. Sometimes I worry a little bit about my buddy, Lou. Geez, that’s a lot of data. Tracking calories is a lot of work. If I did it, I think I’d just work up an appetite. I lost about 20-25 pounds a few years back, too. I thought about writing a fitness book summing up my philosophy. It would be called Eat Less, Move More. Uh, actually, that’s the entire book right there..."eat less, move more"...that's all I've got.

Be safe. Be kind.

"eat less, move more".
                              That's funny. On "the swamp" (the 2000 forum), there is occasionally a discussion about running plans. It always ends up as (and I'm paraphrasing here): "Run a lot. Mostly easy. Some hard. " Ok, I think I've used up my posting quota for the day.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

That's funny. On "the swamp" (the 2000 forum), there is occasionally a discussion about running plans. It always ends up as (and I'm paraphrasing here): "Run a lot. Mostly easy. Some hard. " Ok, I think I've used up my posting quota for the day.
                                i've been focusing on smart/dumb training. maybe it's more dumb/smart. it's freebie day Lou. post all you want. (you're making me feel almost normal)(great chart!)(thanks!)