Masters Running

Sunday May 17 Runs and Rests (Read 31 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I have a little more insight into yesterday's race.  In the early evening I came down with a terrible stomach ache - that form of stomach virus that doesn't cause vomiting or diarrhea, but rather a terrible stomach ache, as if there is glass embedded in my stomach lining.  Yuck.  I went to bed at 7:30pm and spent the night in the most acute misery that I can remember.  If I was percolating that germ yesterday, that explains why I totally ran out of energy.  Just when I was getting ready to head down to the Urgent Care that opens at 9:30am, the pain subsided.  I still feel pretty drained, though, so I expect today won't be very productive.

Looking at my calendar this morning, I realized that I had not yet registered for Another Dam 50K.  I just checked the website and realized they are sold out.  Hmmm.  I could probably email the RD and get in, but now that I think about it, maybe running a 50K 3 weeks before Charlevoix isn't such a great idea, if I want to have a good race at Charlevoix.  I will think about it.

Anyway, I will take today as a rest day and try to get back at it tomorrow.

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....get some Activated Charcoal Caps holly//..........they're Great for Stomach Virus, Food Poisoning, and Being Gassy.........

===========

.while I'm here-

..does anyone have directions to The Old Crippled Up Runners Home?????

don't wanna miss Bingo Night.

..............but I digress.......

.........sorry I haven't been checking in lately,

have actually been working out 4 and 5 days per week,,,,,,,,,,have also been using my TENS units 3 and 4 times a day

=====================================

RANT ON-

just going thru the motions mostly,

I'm not even Impressing myself at the moment.

50-min bike ride in the rain today,

spent the time trying to figure how I'm going to box up 30-years of Crappe at my store

and then

will expect 7's or 8's on the 1-10 Pain Scale THIS AFTERNOON

..........What a Fun Guy...........

RANT OFF-

================================

ok,

if I haven't managed to

Depress The Hell out of everyone at this point,

I will try to check in again this month and finish the job

.............meantime, Good Runnin' To Ya Guys..........................Enjoy the Gift..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Hang in there TW!

Sorry about the DNF and not feeling good and missing the signup Holly. Can anything else go wrong?

Of course there is a breaker for the oven and of course we could easily have thrown it.  Point was, I totally overlooked the door switch issue. Once we realized what we had done, my other BIL flipped the breaker so that BIL number one could repair the damage I did to the socket with the pliers.

Also Holly, when your husband does get around to unscrewing that broken bulb, and AFTER shutting off the power, sticking a potato into the broken bulb and turning is the first and easiest thing to try. If that doesn't work, then you have to do the pliers thing.

Lightning and rain, heavy, for 2nd Sunday in a row. But it broke at mid-morning and we got 4 miles in at the park, not a zero like last week.

Hudson's graduation was a smash. He got mentioned for collecting over 1,000 pairs of shoes for "Soles for Souls" for the poor Haitians.  When he went to the stage to get his diploma he brought down the house by shaking hands with the Abbott and then hugging the Mayor of Irving, who was the keynote speaker.  She is gorgeous!  My SIL turned to me and said, "he's just like you!"  She got that right.

Today is the Saint's birthday, 59, and we're having a big party here today, celebrating the graduation as well. Spareribs

Dave59

No running this weekend, just a lot of work around the house.  I am done for now though and I am going to relax the rest of today.

Going to be a busy week around here and I think I'll need to take a day or two off work to get it all done.  Just 9 days until the house is listed, and 10 until the realtor parade comes through.  And then come the terrible strangers critiquing everything. And just like the last 2 moves, Cindy goes off to work and is free from the process, while I work at home and have to keep vacating my office every time the house gets shown.  At least we don't have a dog anymore that I have get out of the way. The cats hide under the bed when strangers visit so they are no problem.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

4th in line at almost 4pm?  Hope this means that everyone is out enjoying runs and beautiful weather.

That sure makes sense, Holly.  As well as taking the 50K off.  Won't hold you to that though. 

No long run for me today.  First time in quite a while (that didn't involve snow at least) that I haven't been out on Sunday.  My ankle is feeling MUCH better today.  In fact, I was sorely tempted to try it out.  But I think another day of icing and ibu will be much better for me.

DW and I get to go a Sox game this Tuesday.  I got 4 tickets from a contractor so the other 2 went to someone else at work.  They're definitely ones that I wouldn't be buying on my own.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

New skirt in town

Holly, so sorry for the terrible GI stuff...but it is good to have an explanation for yesterday's race.  Today I ran an easy 5K with my son, and then spent 1.5 hours working on my rumba with DH.  I'm tuckered!!

Happy Birthday to the Saint!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, hope you're feeling better!

Happy birthday to the Saint, and happy graduation to Hudson.

TW, rant away!  How soon do you get your hip replacement?

I ran 21.5 trail miles on this beautiful morning!  Felt much stronger than the last time I did the same route 18 days ago, and was 40 seconds per mile faster.

Waiting to hear how the Cellcom runners did this morning...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

8k under perfectly cloudy skies before the afternoon sun jumped temps into the seventiesl.

However, just as I once vowed to quit running if it ever took more than five hours to run 26.2 miles and I used to wonder how-in-the-world anyone could take the six hour average to the top of Mt. Fuji from the Fifth Station Visitor’s Center when it used to take a little over two hours in those days but is now over six hours for me too,  my days are numbered in the annual Beat-the-Bridge 8K with only twenty minutes allowed before the University Bridge opens for boat traffic at mile two.

However, since the 20-minute clock doesn’t start clicking until the last runner is over the starting line timing mat, as long as I can squeeze up a little closer to the start than I like when the dreaded gun goes off, I hope to be running it for many more years to come.

Fun running this morning with 6,000 other bridgees made the day all right after all. .

Splitting the four game series with the B-town boys helped a little too.  .
                  ps tw: I’ve been running with the OCCUR’s out here for some time

before I realized I was one too, Thanks to you, I love it.
                  pps holly - sorry about your GI DNF. 
                  At least now you can now still look forward
                  to a regular DNF many years in the future.
                  Too bad you couldn't've met MikeE at his finish with it though.

ppps holly - skip the dam run this year, enjoy the Charlevoix and ease yourself

back on track for some good ultras when your part of the country

is out of the HHH's later this summer or fall.

pppps wildchild - 40-seconds/mile is huge over 21miles .
                  I  see some more PR's in your future.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly - hope you are feeling better!

Happy Birthday to Louise the Saint and happy graduation Hudson!!

TW - definitely rant on - we can all relate to some degree!

Stumpy - have fun at the sox game! I am working Tuesday so will hear the cheers and give a wave as I walk to my Ipswich St garage!

Carolyn - great long run today!

Robin - are you feeling recovered from Ragnar?

41 miles on my bike yesterday in 2:32 -- hoping to be able to get in the 56 miles at Patriot in 3 1/2  hours.

Yesterday was a day filled with joy - after my bike I went to a wedding for the first of all the family friends our kids grew up with. He was the 1st of my "5th sons" - that what I always called whoever was the friend spending the most time here at the time. So awesome! Then my friend Liz went into labor while at work yesterday so after the wedding I rushed to the hospital and was part of her beautiful baby girl's delivery. Great great day!

Such sad news today at the Sudbury Sprint Tri - sounds like an athlete lost control of his bike going around a corner and went right into oncoming traffic and was hit - he later died from his injuries. The actual sequence is not confirmed, but that is what other participants seem to have seen. Devastating for all involved.

Pool running today -- uggghhh -- so hard to do the right thing!! I so wanted to just put on my sneakers and go out for a run but I promised my PT and coach I would give it 2 weeks with no running after last week's tri. Also want my runs to be right off the bike when I start back to do some bricks and to be running on warmed up legs.

Stay safe my friends!

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Any word from Wisconsin?

Tw, get some help with your boxing chores, can you?   Keep pedaling on, and it's ok to rant.

ow, Holly.  Do you feel like having ice cream yet?  That might soothe your stomach, help you decide about the 50 and will taste better than charcoal.

Carolyn, love your bday photo for Starr, so neat.

Really enjoyed the Atlantic Ocean today.   And especially appreciated the family atmosphere at the Double Road Race.  We had a good time and celebrated by stopping by the running store I've gotten some  gift cards to at races and getting DH a new pair of shoes.  Brooks GTS  Adrenaline 15 and we have $17 left......too tired and hungry to shop any longer.

So after listening to the Mariners soak the Sox, we are ready for bed.....were on the road at 4 a.m.

Sleepy grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Awesome long run for Carolyn today, what an improvement, due to all of the miles you have been logging, I am sure. Oh, I too love your birthday picture, you are always so clever! Thanks for the greetings from everyone else too

I too am wondering about the Wisconsin race. Deez, that is so tragic about the death in the tri race. Ribs, tell The Saint happy birthday for me. I have thought about your celebrations today with graduation too. Tet, you are still running that race, sounds like fun! Dave, too funny about the cats hiding, my dog would never be so quiet. Good luck getting your projects done. Holly, a DNF is something to learn from and you have a good reason for it now too. Hope you are feeling better. Keep on trucking, Tomwhite, Boxing isn't so bad it is the sorting and throwing that gets to me! Amy, that is nice of you to share your winnings with DH. How did you guys do in the races? Have fun at the Sox game, Stumpy.

Today I went out for a fartlek run and once again dodged the storm only having to run in a few sprinkles. Man, did the sky get dark though. Not a lot of rain but we need every drop. Last night as we got back to town we were greeted with this gorgeous double rainbow.

Have a great week everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow, fantastic photo starr

this group needs an exhibition.

deez only

The only problem with a 56-mile bike ride is that 13.1 miles needs to be run right afterwards, if you can. I usually needed at least a half-mile walking in a wandering daze before the running would become possible. When is it?  Maybe try to get in some duathlons of any distance, no matter how short, to get the feel of running on bike legs.
                          Traffic/cycle mishaps are so frequent around here in the PNW that my 83-yo IM mentor still does most of his training in his basement on a bike trainer with all the bells-and-whistles, and even Kona scenery.  However, though I’ve often wondered why it hasn’t happened on some of the steep roads around here too, there’ usually enough police and volunteer at the bottom of every hill to ensure safe descents and crossings. The safety of screaming descents stretched out over the aero bars just like downhill ski racing with the entire mountain cleared for racers to schuss straight down as fast as possible without worrying about careless, uncaring recreational skiers crossing the fall lines is why I loved the steeps in triathlons too.
                          However, having to recognize that my reaction time is suffering with age, my annual triathlons nowadays are selected as much for mostly flat cycling as for the short, 0.25-mile supersprint swims I now love. In fact, one of my favorites in those days had a right angle turn at the bottom one of the longer/steeper hills with volunteers and police screaming at everyone to slow down, . . . even though some of us never did.  That’s probably why it’s not offered anymore. I’d be surprised if Sudbury doesn’t have the same fate.  They should not be scary and so risky.  Everyone's not o used to cycling at those speeds.  You be careful.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Yes, Hudson  is like Ribs.

Holly,  I hope you feel better soon. Please take care.

A fun day in Posie kingdom. I spent the day playing around the house and planning plus cooking the meal for the week for u s.

I did chase the Easy Pacer around for 6 miles today as a recovery run from a 10 miler in Wenatchee.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

New skirt in town

Terrible story out of Sudbury, Denise.  Stories like this fuel my fear of cycling even more...I feel I don't have adequate control over the bike, so I end up traveling so slowly as to be ridiculous.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

SteveP

I can not imagine how you felt, Holly. ((((())))) The dog agrees with Amy about the ice cream.

I've missed you TW.

Super Celebration at the Rib's joint!

Deez, that's so tragic and scarey.

.I feel I don't have adequate control over the bike, so I end up traveling so slowly as to be ridiculous.

--Robin

That's my running as of late.

Tag and I hit the trails for 6.5 miles. Good times. There's so many spring flowers in bloom. Tag had a number of critters to chase.

SteveP