Masters Running

Christmas Eve Day - Master Runs and running around (Read 417 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I have a vague recollection that this was discussed in the past, but don't remember what the consensus was.
    Unlocked, open gate... after the no trespassing sign Smile My neighbors have been running there for years and invited me often but the time slot never worked out. They just re-did the track last summer.. sweet!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Mainerunnah – here’s hoping for speedy healing and home for Christmas for your son. Peter – how awful for you and your family, but it sounds like your wife’s quick thinking saved your son’s life. Breger – do you ever record your choir concerts? If so, it would be neat if you could upload a song or two to youtube for us to see. I’m the only one in the office today, so I took the liberty of running a little bit long and coming in late. Freezing rain made me wimp out though, and I ran on the TM. I told myself it was because I didn’t want to slip and fall, but mostly I just didn’t want to get drenched and cold. 9 miles on the TM, pretty darn slow due to DD’s numerous interruptions to tattle on her brother. 5 years apart, you’d think they would get along, but they fight constantly. Only the dire threat that Santa is still watching finally brought some peace. Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Maine, I'll be thinking about your son and your family. That's scary. 6.2 miles for me just now in perfect conditions. 26 degrees, calm, and light snow. Such a wonderful run! Slow as Christmas, ha ha, but that's good! Wink I hope you all have a WONDERFUL Christmas. I'll be offline for a couple of days. We're locking the door to our home office so we're not tempted to work or play on the computer! We couldn't buy a bunch of junk for the kids this year, so we're going to give them the gift of our time instead.
        xor

More snow in Seattle today. So far, I've got two inches of fresh stuff (on top of the 20 inches of layered snow and ice I already had). But it ain't powder, it's that sticky stuff. This is bad because it is piling up on the trees and power lines and such. Way more than previous days. The good news: it is slightly warmer and perhaps some will melt later. The bad news: this is the heavy stuff and since it is sticking to things, it might bring down more trees. Or roofs (rooves?) and awnings. CRAP IN A BUCKET! GO AWAY, SNOW. BE GONE.

Marathon Maniac #957

Teresa – I made coupon booklets to give to both kids for Christmas out of colorful card stock and brass fasteners, with coupons for things like “one hour of Mom’s undivided time and attention” and “one backrub” and “favorite meal request” and “no chores all day,” and many other things. Just for DD there was “one manicure” and “one pedicure” and “one full treatment – manicure and pedicure" (DD LOVES to be pampered). To make up for these, DS got extra “backrubs” and “no chores” coupons. Very fun, and most of them were all about me giving them time and attention – something that, even though we’re in the house together a lot, they don’t always get from their busy mom. Srlopez - bummer! Any relief in the forecast?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

CRAP IN A BUCKET! GO AWAY, SNOW. BE GONE.
              O goody, a Scrooge amonst us, with a sentiment I can get behind with gusto. Yes! What he said! Maine, hope things improve, but as Peter's experience shows, let him be in the hospital over tomorrow if they need to run more tests or there's any question. Mari, what you said, and may I add another adjective to your wish? I would wish everyone a joyful, peaceful and beating heart this season and for all of 2009. grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
              xor

Yes and no. It will change to rain later today. But it won't get above 35, then it will get 25 at night. We will cycle through this pattern for a few days. This means that stuff will get icier and icier at night. And perhaps heavier and heavier on rooftops (although. Just because water freezes doesn't mean it gets heavier. But it does mean that it'll collect MORE freezing rain and drizzle. And an inch of rain weighs a whole lot more than an inch of snow). It'll be the first white Christmas I've experienced in 42 years.

King of PhotoShop

4.5 easy with the Saint in the park. Now off to wrap presents. Lou, yes we did discuss it and I didn't think there was consensus about locked or unlocked. Go sneak around and see if you can get in. The worst that can happen is they tell you to leave. Spareribs
                  evanflein

Bob, I sure hope and pray your son will recover uneventfully and be discharged in time for Christmas at home. How scary... {{{Mainerunnah family}}} srlopez, first thing I thought about was all those big beautiful trees in your area dropping branches or splitting and falling on cars and houses. Hope that doesn't come to pass! A white Christmas is very nice if you don't see one regularly, but take it from me... it gets old pretty quick. Lou, our tracks aren't locked in the summer, but in the winter they're barricaded because idiots would get in there with snowmachines and four-wheelers and tear them up. Our tracks have the football fields inside and they want to keep winter traffic off the fields as well as the tracks. Steve, nice job! The first time I ran on a track I was surprised at how "bouncy" it felt. At work till about noon today, last minute shopping (yes Byll, I was waiting for Christmas! Roll eyes ) and then home to lube up my treadmill and knock out a few miles.
                    Mariposai

It'll be the first white Christmas I've experienced in 42 years.
                      are you THAT old? Holly, great running today. That was a lot of miles after your awesome speed work yesterday. How can you do it girl? joyful, peaceful and beating hearts to all...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning - err afternoon! Out for 5 awful heavy slushy miles this morning. It was still predawn when I left, but I didn't wear my headlamp. Big mistake - it was all I could do to find some tire tracks to run in. Man - it was awful and my legs were dead after the first mile. You can see how slow it was - but my HR was a little more steady so that's good! To entertain myself, I counted mailbox fatalities. They had to be all the way off the post to count - I found 8 of them along with many that didn't have long to live. I also tried to help one guy get unstuck, but I wasn't much help. 11:54 / 160 11:09 / 160 11:43 / 163 12:52 / 152 (talking to my daugter on the phone) 11:49 / 162 Merry Christmas Everyone!!! I hope you all have a safe, happy and blessed Christmas.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, great running today. That was a lot of miles after your awesome speed work yesterday. How can you do it girl?
                          Verrry slowly.... Smile Peace and Joy to you and yours as well, Nancy....and to all the rest of you wonderful people here....

wildchild

Carolyn

Maine, I hope your son is OK! My daughter brought home a note from the school nurse that someone in her school had viral meningitis. He's doing fine. Some good runs today (Bill, Peter, Perch, Gordon, Mari, Ribs, Holly, and Teresa) and not-so-good runs {{{Mary}}}! It's 12 degrees and windy here (taking the day off from work, so "here" means home in the mountains). The rec center closes at noon today and I'm not feeling motivated to go over there now, so it'll either be a day off or a cold windy run... We always cut down our Christmas tree on Christmas Eve, so whether or not I run, we'll bundle up and hike out in our woods to pick out a tree this afternoon. Always fun!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Henrun

Bob, hope all turns out well. It warmed up a bit here this morning and the expected rain is slow in coming to the city. Put on my YakTrax once again and did a messy 5 miles around the Charles. Part of the path is clear and part is melting snow and ice. Saw a few other runners and one brave (and foolish-no helmet) cyclist. 31 more to go before the end of the year to reach 1300-an achievable goal (I hope). I've done a fair amount of choral singing over the years. Plan to join a choir next month after a lay off of a couple of years. Happy Holidays.

Marathon Maniac #3309

The first one was way fast Splits (6)/ dist/ time/ pace / AHR/MaxHR Split 1 800 Meters 3:20.45 6:43.21 159/173 Split 2 800 Meters 3:31.37 7:05.18 160/166 Split 3 800 Meters 3:26.57 6:55.52 164/169 Split 4 800 Meters 3:26.38 6:55.14 163/169 Split 5 800 Meters 3:26.81 6:56.01 164/169 Split 6 800 Meters 3:25.52 6:53.41 165/170
                                Hey Ribs, does this remind you of anyone Big grin Roll eyes Great workout Steve, as usual for you.....I absolutely love fast track workouts Smile Ribs, while we're speaking of speed work, I want to make a comment. I realize I did most all my speed work - especially track work - waaaay to fast, based on the calculations you used to give me my times to follow. In reality, what did that really hurt. I know you say don't run faster, but just run more repeats. But to be honest on a lot of my track work, I could have ran many more repeats and still would have told you it was too easy. But, are you saying I could have been faster following your plan to a tee? Case in point in my defence....I had big PR's in the 5K - 10K - 10 miles - 1/2 M just on a training run. Could it have been you maybe used the wrong 5K time for calculating my speed work, or am I just approaching training the wrong way...prolly the latter I am sure. Not being argumentative at all, but just curious Smile Well, still at work being bored, and thinking about running. Ooops, not thinking about really running, but just thinking about running....that's all I need is an angry mob Angry hunting me down because they thought I was going to try and run. (corrected this after reading it again) Hope everyone is having a wonderful day Smile TimBo - tapering master - hey, where is my taper buddie tet?

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!