Masters Running

newbies on DST (Read 418 times)

Me

hello everyone, thanks for the encouragement everyone. Laurie - I haven't been doing other exercises. I was doing the circuit routine that my son came up with, but I pulled a muscle in my lower back. I'm starting to feel a little like a slacker. I think that my son just doesn't realize that I'm a little more fragile than the privates and corporals that work for him. Now that the snow is starting to melt, I'm thinking that I will get my bicycle out. I should be able to do that, right? Cheers, Mike
    Rindaroo

Hey all - day 2 of the running program - first week, still run 2/walk 3 4 times is done & then I did some weights. BTB - yep in the morning still Smile Mr White - ahhh those youngin's... take it slow & easy. Eliz - Wicked was AWESOME!!!! It was so worth the flight to LA. Laurie - starting over was starting my beginning running program again - instead of just trying to run. The doc runs marathons.. he was completely right, I kept trying to run more than I was able to do at this point. This way I should be able to take it slow & easy ( & not push myself and keep the bronchials from getting irritated).
        Greetings to everyone! Hey Deb, you out there? Hope all is well. BTB, I live in the DC burbs, so tell me where that cootie is! Yes, I'm still using the noodle. Blush It's wide enough and dense enough that I definitely feel it when I roll my leg on it. I think it has helped. My kids are calling it the magic noodle. But I will check out the real thing at Dick's or whatever and see if it's much different. But right now I'm not running. Sad I'm going to try to give my AT a chance to completely heal. I've started some strength training and plan to stick with that, and do something for cardio - walking or nordictrack - that I hope won't aggravate the tendon. Right now it feels fine and I am soooo tempted to go run on the trail, just 3 miles! But I won't. When I do get back to running, I'm going to use the soft trail as much as possible. Unfortunately I have to drive to it, so this won't be as doable as running out my door. I have a large family and I love it, but my time is not my own. I need some exercises for strengthening my ankles. Got any? Mike, are you doing anything special to heal the AT? I think hills are what aggravated mine, too. It's hard to be here when you're not running. Yes, you feel out of it, and maybe a little envious. Theresa - I was you last spring! Wink But also, it makes me more tempted to run, or run too much for my own good. Linda, great report from the doc! Wonderful that you've started your new (old) plan! Roberta, sorry about the foot. Sad Kevin, great deal on those shoes - hope they get there soon! Eliz, same goes for your tweaked orthotics. Laurie, you're running - woo hoo! And Kim is going great. Theresa - you go girl! BTB, thanks for all your support! Okay, I'm gonna go do my "bootcamp" workout before I lose my resolve. Spring is here in NoVa. Hope it's coming where you all are. Have a great weekend! Jem
          jemmama, what symptoms did you experience with your AT problem? And have you done anyother treatments besides the "magic noodle'? thanks
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Jem, I am getting all confused who is where. I thought you were Oregon. Where in VA are you? I am visiting my old friend in Springfield May 10 and 11. He's a runner too. If you are nearby we should go for a run. I really recommend staying with aerobic workouts since you are not running. I did eliptical and stationary cycle while injured and I am glad I did. Keeping in aerobic health helped getting back to running. Mike, what type bike do you ride? A road bike might stress the lower back too much since you are in a bent down position. Going running. Will post more if I survive. The new shoes make my toes go numb. So it looks like old Nike Free is all I can run in. Or maybe I should just become a barefoot runner. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Todays suppose to be a rest day, but I'm really itching to get on the treadmill. Its been awhile since I felt like that. So this is a good thing Smile Jem - good to hear from you. Sorry you're still not running, but sounds like you're being smart about the rest. Hope you're healed up soon!! Laurie - I'm the one who lives in Oregon. Bummer on the new shoes Sad
                I survived 4 miles. Slow. But I did it without walking. Funny just a few months ago I was running 8 and working on a half marathon. Now I am thrilled to be running 4. Odd how these things work. Used the old Nike Free. My feet are messed up. Going to stretch now. A little sore in the hamstring but the ITB hurts worse. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Managed to push through 30 BORING minutes on the elliptical last night. If biking and KAYAKING (!) season weren't so close and I thought I'd be doing this gym thing as cross-training for much longer, I'd definitely need to pull out the iPod. Reading the same captions on CNN and ESPN over and over again at the gym just doesn't do it for me. Also did some strength/stretching at the gym. Walked/ran 4 miles today in the beautiful sunshine with temps in the high 50s. Ran 2-1/2 minutes and walked 1 minute the whole way, keeping AHR within range. Also walked 1/2 mile before and after the "run" portion. Right foot a little sore. I REALLY want those orthotics back, but that might not happen until a week from Monday. Teresa - the way you've been training, I think you'll be in great shape for a HM in September. Mike - I'm thinking of trying my bike this week as well. Not sure whether I'll bring it home from the shore - I get soooooo nervous just driving the few miles from the house to the boardwalk with the bike on the back of the car, I'd probably be a mess driving it the 70 miles all the way home! Linda - I feel like I'm starting over in a lot of ways, too. So glad you're running again and that your doc is so supportive. Jem - is that noodle still working its magic on you? Hope so. Here are some ankle strengthening exercises I learned at PT last spring. Hope you can figure them out from the descriptions. (1) Stand with feet parallel; stretch up onto toes then to heels; I do 2 sets of 15 reps; (2) balance on 1 foot; stretch the other leg to the front, to the back, to the side; switch legs; 2 sets of 15 reps; (3) stand on a step, parallel to the "landing" part of the stair, leg your other foot sort of hang in mid-air, bend your knee so that your other foot drops below the stair, keeping your "mid-air" heel below the toes on that foot; switch legs. Disclaimer: I'm not a doc or a PT, nor do I play one on TV!!!! Laurie - sorry to hear about your shoe, numb toes, and soreness issues. Here's a quote from John Bingham's Penguin Brigade Training Log that seems to apply to so many of us right now: "Three steps forward, two steps back. I thought that I would continue to get better and better. I thought my progress would be linear. . . . . . Long term improvement is a constant cycle of getting faster, hitting a plateau, slipping backwards, regrouping, and then getting faster again." Here's to patience as so many of us are regrouping and getting back to those "three steps forward" soon and in good health! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

Thanks, Liz, for the encouraging quote about three steps forward and two back. Roberta
                      jemmama, what symptoms did you experience with your AT problem? And have you done anyother treatments besides the "magic noodle'? thanks
                      evryday - symptoms: feeling of strain or soreness at the back of my ankle just above my heel, doesn't hurt much if at all when running, but aches later in the day after inactivity, and certainly the next morning. I can feel it especially when walking up stairs, and often hear a snapping sound with each step. Longer runs make it worse. Also sometimes feel a "cold rush" hard to describe, but a feeling of coolness in the affected area. I felt this years ago after I tore a ligament in my ankle and it was healing (same ankle, but near the front). I'm afraid I'm aggravating things by stretching my calf, which has been tight off and on and must be part of the problem. Maybe the calf-stretches are stretching the sore achilles? Treatment: ha ha. I've taken breaks from running, run less, avoided hills. Found an exercise done on the stairs, printed it out, but the ankle felt better, and I misplaced the piece of paper. Blush I should find that again. Occasionally I've taken ibu but never regularly. Eliz, sounds like a nice run. Thanks for the ankle exercises. Laurie, is May 11 Mother's Day? Springfield is a bit of a hike, but we'll see. Would love a run together Smile Happy Sunday to all. We'll be doing some palm-weaving here this afternoon. My older dd's are good at this. Jem
                        Jem - "snapping sound?" "cold rush?!?!" That sounds serious to me! I'm certainly a "queen of denial" when it comes to wanting to self-treat injuries, but I think this one would get even me to a doctor. Take care of yourself, girl! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Jem, thanks for describing the symptoms. I've not yet figured out what's going on with my calf/leg. Thought maybe it could be the same as your's. My symptoms are much different. I'm thinking maybe my calf is all knotted up putting pressure on a nerve or something. Anyway, continued success with dealing with your AT. Glad the noodle is working for you.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Me

Hello Everyone, Jem - Snapping sound, cold rush. yikes. I haven't had any of that. Laurie - I have a mountain bike. it's an old Trek 820, so no frills. I am also concerned about the whole starting over thing. But then again I've been pretty lazy too as far as not doing any cardio or anything. Eliz - Do you have a bike carrier for your car? I'm lucky in that I have an SUV, so I can just throw my bike in the back. Rinda, Glad you are feeling better. I think it's great that your Dr really seems to be concerned about what you want. I know that most of the Drs i've seen lately just want to write a Rx and send you away. Hope everyone is on the mend. Mike
                            Rindaroo

Jem - I vote for a doctor's visit. It couldn't hurt, you know? You could be right about the stretching. I know when I had my foot injury, I made it worse by doing the PF stretching exercises. My doc gave me different stretching exercises, it is for the calf, ankle, foot. Let me know if you want it. Mike - Are you still injured? Whatever you start doing, just remember slow & easy. I think that's part of my problem, I always go to my limits. Thanks, yes I'm feeling better - week 1 of the running program is done Smile Problem is meds alone just don't work & that's what the last doctor tried. This doc's goal is to get me running like before & down to just an albuterol reliever. Not sure that will ever happen with the bad bronchiospasms I get - but you never know. All I know is I'm so much better than before I started seeing him last July. So, I'm sticking with him & actually listening to him. I did the day 3 of the first week of the running program & I wanted to run more. Really had to control to follow the program.. just kept remembering, its not what I can do, but what the bronchials need me to do. I did the program on my treadmill at home today - 15 minutes walking first, then the 20 minute 2/3 run walk & 5 minutes c/d. Then did 50 crunches on the ablounger, some leg stretches & PT arm exercises. Next week is 3R/3W 4 times - so that brings me up to 24 minutes. I'm completely ready for it & start on Tuesday. CYL!
                                Thanks, guys. I just made an appt. for tomorrow with my primary (actually a substitute for my own doctor, who I don't know that well anyway). I don't expect much from this visit, but it will get me a referral, which is what I need. I was thinking I needed to do this, but seeing it in black and white here has given me the push I needed. Smile Eliz, thanks for the exercises. And the wake-up call. Blush Evry, this must be painful if you suspect a nerve is involved. Sad You are another candidate for a doctor appt. Linda, good workout! It's exciting to hear about you starting this new plan. I'm glad it's going so well. Mike, you see from Linda that starting over can be fun. Exciting to be on the upswing. I'm doing crunches, push-ups, and using weights for my triceps. I'm trying to do as many regular push-ups as I can, then switching to the "girl" push-ups for as many as I can of those. I used my nordictrack on Saturday, 43 minutes. I went easy on the resistance for the legs, for fear of straining my ankle, but cranked up the arm resistance to get a real workout. Hi to Kevin, Debbie, Theresa, Roberta, Laurie, Bob, and anyone I forgot. DS needs the computer to for school work. Thanks again, guys! Jem