Masters Running

Tuesday December 16 Master Runs and whatever ... (Read 475 times)

That celcius to F conversion was way too complicated for this pea brain. I just get up, walk to the kitchen, look at the thermometer and walk back to the computer. -7C this morning (20F), and I braved the elements to prove to myself I could do it. I had on 1 short sleeve T, one thick long sleeve T, one double layer of some sort of material running jacket, one thin wind/rain jacket, two glove layers, one fleece, one wool, thick tights with compression shorts over top, long socks, thick fleecie headband. The first mile was into the wind and I was wishing I had a little fleecie scarf to cover my chin and cheeks, but after I turned out of the wind I was fine. I also thought I'd be de-layering at some point but I never did. It took two miles for the blood to finally get into my fingers and toes but my thighs unfortunately were always a bit cold. Maybe some kind of wind pants next time? But overall a great success as I really enjoyed the blue skies and blinding sunshine. 6 miles @ 11:05 pace including a bit of walking up or down the icier hills. I would have done 8 miles but I had to pee really badly and they closed down my usual park bathroom! (due to the temps??). And I passed a guy coming out of the woods, running with his dog, in his SHORTS! He said something to me...I wonder what it was? I had my music playing... Snow predicted for tomorrow and the next day...I can see school getting cancelled if there is enough of it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Did someone ask about socks? Balega. Best sock ever. I threw away all my others (including the thorlos), or most of them at least. They did not pay me to say this. I've paid them a pretty penny. And several ugly ones too. The injinji toe socks are nice... unless you have weird toes like I do, and then there's extra material that poofs off the end of your toe and feels weird.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like my Craft Pro Warm Quarter Socks the best. They work well in Maine at least! Smile 7.3 miles this morning. The first 1.3 miles with my C25K friend. She's taking it very slowly, but she did run two 8-minute segments, so she's improving. I didn't intend to do that much mileage, but it felt great, even in the wind. I ran up a side street where I had the privilege of overseeing a sewer system installation 20 years ago! I hadn't been back since. I knew NOTHING about sewers (I got stuck doing it because there was no structural work to do), so I was happy not to see sewage running everywhere.
        Mariposai

so balega is good not only for slow pokes like me, but for fast ones too......heh. I have used balega since my first marathon, never have gotten a single blister with them and I have been told that part of their earnings are sent back to Africa to support athletes there...not bad for the price you pay.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Does anyone else have this problem with too many running shoes? Then they spontaneously self-organize to tell you something?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Inky, you need more to do. (or did the chat noir do all that?)

evanflein

Enke that's funny... I bet I could do that with mine alone, much less all the other family members' shoes! I think Mrs. Labduck said it best when she said she thought the goal was to make the closet look like a running shoe store exploded... Bingo.
                wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, I donate my old running shoes to One World Running (shoes for Africa) so I only have 4 pairs at home currently. I like your photos! Spareribs, you're always such a wealth of running knowledge. I learn a lot from your coaching; thanks! But you sure are a weather wimp. Typical Texan! Tongue It warmed up to a sunny, pleasant 37F at lunchtime so I went for a trail run. I forgot my garmin but I think it was 5.5 miles. I ran on a snowy trail in the nearby state park, and wore yaktrax for most of the run except the first and last 1/4 mile on sidewalks getting to the trail, and about 1/2 mile in the middle that was on a clear paved bike path. I took my hat and gloves off after a couple of miles, and carrying them plus my yaktrax for parts of the run was kind of a pain. Very enjoyable to run outside again after the recent cold spell.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

happy tuesday friends!! Today was interesting -- took the boy to his first PT session since his surgery and we stopped by TJ Maxx to pick up "just a couple of things" hahaha - well almost 2 hours and over $600 later we finally were on our way home!! YIKES he must have been glad to be out of the house and he was a big help Christmas shopping for the family plus a few extras!! i opened a TJ Maxx credit card just to get the 10% off on that order and will pay for it after working a few extra OT shifts!! just doing my part to help the economy the good ole American way!! Wink so then i had to decide between a nap or a run before work .... and knowing the eating going on and tomorrow will be a no workout day i opted for the run -- had to do a bank errand anyway so did that during my run!! total 4.2 miles in 39:00 avg pace 9:17 avg hr 171 cal burned 443 - wish i had time to do double that, but i didn't plan on the 2 hour shopping with the boy - and i have to tell you it was so worth it!! i really enjoyed the time with him and he seemed to as well -- after we were home he said "we really rocked that shopping ma" holly -- those intervals sound killer!! breger -- would love to be running with you in those temps right now altho i have no business complaining reading enke's temps and enke great shoe pic -- my piles are a mess, need to donate some walt, peter, ribs, teresa and everyone else - nice runs!! tim - i'll be praying you're in top form for that RNR marathon!! you deserve it!!

denise

Lol Enke! I must be a weirdo because I have only two pairs of running shoes. I definitely cannot spell "run" with them. Thanks for the sock tips everyone. My brother lives in Northern Virginia so cold is not really too much of an issue. I will check out the Balegas. It sounds as though they may be expensive socks so maybe I will try one pair of those and a couple of pairs of Thorlos. Meg

Once a runner . . .

During the first interval, I was wondering if I would be able to finish 7 of them.
                        Some would consider that "perfect interval pace." Nice run!
                        xor

Nah, they are about the same. You can get balega enduros for 8-10 bucks. Thorlos, depending on which kind you want, are usually 10-12. You can find "buy 3 get 1 free" deals on both kinds if you poke around.

evanflein

Hey Robert, just wanted to say thanks for your wonderful race reports! I like to scan back through the races you've run and read the ones I want to do. I'm running Disney next month so read your race report of this year's race with my map in hand. Now I know "first hand" what to expect where! I really love your writing style. I'd be delighted with a time like you had this year... and I'm not doing the half and no way am I ready for heat and humidity!!
                              All except one pair are still in use. And I do donate them when they hit 400 miles. Mon dieu, le chat noire et moi voulez quelque chose pour faire.

JustAl

And I passed a guy coming out of the woods, running with his dog, in his SHORTS!
                                How could he run with a dog in his shorts?