Masters Running

April 23....Wednesday (Hump Day) daily (Read 522 times)

Golly, Spareribs, my husband and I seem to be the only ones on the list that you DON’T want to meet......
    If it's any consolation, you're #1 on my list of "Boomers I'd like to meet" (even though you're a Buckeye).
    Roch - you missed the news while on vacation. I actually signed up for the Detroit Marathon this fall!!
    Super!! My running club works a water station every year, so I'll be sure to volunteer for duty there and watch for you. I might also volunteer to work the expo/registration area.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

seemomgo

Only 3 miles running for me today - I am scheduled to meet a gal this morning to walk another 3 or 4. She is wanting to start running and called to ask if I would help her begin. A busy day today - Seeboygo is delivering two speeches today: the first for the National Junior Honor Society induction of new members, and the second for the Optimists Oratory Regional Event. He won first place in the school speech contest and now will move up to Regionals. That kid loves a crowd and giving speeches. I think he will be Ribs when he grows up!!!
        9 miles this morning with T...I can tell I need to start running longer distances...my legs were getting "tired"...what's up with that... Holly ,I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by starting your 40/40 thread...I just figured you were busy...Oh and BTW I saw the pics from Boston and you are officially a BABE!!! And a GREAT RUNNER!!!
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #3309

Oh and BTW I saw the pics from Boston and you are officially a BABE!!! And a GREAT RUNNER!!!
          You got that right Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

One personal goal for the year....10 miler in Lynchburg in September instead of the "safer" 4 miler. Anything other than that is extra pats-on-the-back. When I ran the 10-miler 2 years ago, I said I would stick to the 4-miler, but the competitive me wants to attempt the longer one again. We'll see how the summer training goes. Confused
              Only 3 miles running for me today - I am scheduled to meet a gal this morning to walk another 3 or 4. She is wanting to start running and called to ask if I would help her begin. A busy day today - Seeboygo is delivering two speeches today: the first for the National Junior Honor Society induction of new members, and the second for the Optimists Oratory Regional Event. He won first place in teh school speech contest and now will move up to Regionals. That kid loves a crowd and giving speeches. I think he will be Ribs when he grows up!!!
              GoBoyGo! This is wonderful! I hope he does well today. I wish my kids would've taken to public speaking... all they seem to do now is to mumble and eat. Congratulations, C-proud-Mom
              LaVita
              Mariposai

Good Wednesday friends. What a great writte up Vista did this morning about setting goals. It was very tiimely for me since this is post-marathon week for me and without a goal I tent to go out to do something foolish that compromises my running later. My goal this week is to put my butterfly wings down and resist the urge to go running until the weekend. This is the parttern I have followed for my last 4 marathons and it seems to work very well for my recovery. So...I walked 2 miles yesterday and will do the same today. I have been gone on business trip for the last two days so I have yet to have the time to read the Boston postings and look at the pictures. But please know how proud I am of each one of you. We all know that just to qualify for Boston is a victory in itself. A victory some of us mere mortals may never experience.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly ,I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by starting your 40/40 thread...I just figured you were busy...
                  No, no, indeed, I was hoping someone would step in for me - thank you so much. Oh, and btw, you're pretty hawt yourself, ya know..... Wink ETA - Tim - back atcha, too... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Great opening post Vista! I appreciate those words very much. Having temporarily been sidelined a few weeks due to a tibia injury and having to change my virgin marathon plans, and then sort of going through the muckity muck feelings of failing in my training plans, not living up to my own expectations, etc. your message was very appropo for me today. I had another appt with my doc last night and he was encouraging. He thinks the majority of my problem going on right now is a significant tightening of the tendon that run alongside my left tibia and when my mileage gets up there, as it was in March, it's pulling on and stressing on the tibia. So, he did more laser therapy and is also going to be a couple of ART sessions on that tendon. This is the same technique he used on my ITBS and the beginnings of PF I was feeling and I respond well to it, even though it is audibly painful during the process. Today, my tendon feels quite bruised . . . but I know it's helping. A good thing that has come out of having to back off running, was doing to cross training to try and maintain my fitness level. I have been doing more biking and remembering how much I enjoy it. I biked alot when I lived in Seattle, even having done the MS150 out on Whidbey Island one year. So even though we don't have the great biking paths or even live in a very friendly biking town, like I did in Seattle, I'm enjoying adding this to my fitness routine. I even decided I am going to give a Duathlon in June a shot. It's a 5K run/30K bike/5K run. I'm going to practice it a few times in the gym before committing, but I think I'd like the challenge of something like this. Off to read more Boston experiences! And especially read about Ribs' dinner. I wonder when I'll get to meet Ribs?

Tammy

Just back from Philly visiting my sister on the way back from Boston. I'm going to have to come back and read the thread later -- first I need lunch, a shower and a nap, in that order. 3 mile or so recovery run -- legs really heavy and heart pumping faster than it should have. I guess about 30 minutes. Glad it wasn't this warm on Monday.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Greetings from Florida...oops, actually from Western, MA where it's 84F and bright sunshine. I am taking the rest of this week off from work to play and catch up with my family. We went to Talcott Mountain State park this morning in Bloomfield, CT and hiked/walked. The hike/walk is not too steep and the whole loop was just a bit over 2.5 miles----we did it twice for a total of 5. We hiked up to Heublein Tower (a summer home built in 1914 at the top of the mountain). The views are spectacular and during the summer it's a popular hang gliding spot. If you hit a clear day, you can see Manodnock Mountain to the north in NH and the Long Island sound in the opposite direction (just a thin sliver of blue) Not quite forever...but close! Nice running, cross training and resting today---Mariposai--you are recovering in style! Spareribs, we should compare travel notes----one of these days we're bound to meet up in an airport. I am about to enter a heavier travel cycle and it appears that you are back in full travel mode as well. I can't wait to read more race reports---keep 'em coming! I'll be back after another round of Sorry and a chaser of Clue. Hi Holly! CNY
                        btb1490

Happy Wednesday everyone! We're halfway there! breger- there is no such thing as a little nothing run. They're all good! Happy tapering! hopeful4ever- nice deer fartlek yesterday! Don't get too hung up on those body fat numbers, I'm sure there is no need for you to worry. Ribs- my turn to be jealous of you for meeting dg and Rochrunner! Tallrunner- that was some workout yesterday right after your awesome half! No advice for the foot other than seeking a medical professional. You're too close to your race, and in too good a shape to be playing guesswork now. Twocat- you handled your Boston situation with a lot of dignity and grace. Hats off to you. I'm sorry things didn't work out this time around, but you will have your day in the sun, that I'm sure of. rochrunner- how's the email pile coming? Happy pre-retirement! Sound's like you had a great dinner last night. I can only imagine the dirt that Mr. Ribs had on me. It's all lies. lyndenrunner- sorry to hear about your DD being sick. Did you get the snow that others had in your area? BCMorant- looks like your speedwork is coming along nicely! Craneium- 6 miles @ 7:22 leaves you about 15 minutes to wolf down something to eat during your lunch hour. That must be a sight! LaVita- one brick at a time builds a solid house. Nicely done! Teresa- another milestone run for you yesterday. There will be many more to come I'm sure. Keep up the great work! Dave- funny picture yesterday! Sarge- everyone here appreciates your support very much. Don't let all the Boston talk get you down. In the scheme of things, it's just a race. Look at all you do for the running community. It's awesome how you give back to the sport for all to enjoy, take pride in that. enke- I'm glad everyone is feeling better. That is one lucky cat! dromedary- big guns come in many shapes and sizes, and aren't defined by how fast someone runs. There are plenty of people who will never make it to Boston that have bigger guns than many who do. The day to day warriors who get out there despite obstacles (skunks, asthma, yappy little dogs), those get my vote. seemomgo- it's nice to throw a run in during a different time of the day now and again, keeps things interesting. Keep up the great LunaChix work you do! I see you have a new mentee to work with! Good luck with her! That's some impressive stuff your son is involved in! I'm sure much of it has to do with his upbringing. Smile CNY- what's with the no ice cream stuff? Don't you think you've earned it just a bit? I love the sound of your recovery walk! halllar- nice run yesterday. What a great feeling to go out and feel great when you don't expect it! evryday- glad you were feeling unexpectedly good yesterday! vista- phone interval training... that's a new one on me! What an opening post to start our day! Awesome! eliz- your sleep deprivation is going toward a good cause though. You are muchly appreciated, although it may not seem that way. Holly- welcome home! It was so awesome to meet you and your husband this past weekend, and to be able to run with you for a bit during the marathon! You looked great out there! So was there gobs of blood to mop up at home when you got back? Wink Friday is the day finally! Do you have your bottle of champagne ready? Plus a pen full of ink? Good luck! I'm glad you liked the Amy pictures. Smile Thank you for saying a prayer for her, I really appreciate it! That is just too cool that you and I were able to hook up during your mile for her! I also loved the prayer you said before our dinner on Sunday. Thanks for the warm welcome invite to your home, you and your husband are both wonderful people. Smile Jeanne- you gotta find some way to move that elliptical trainer outside! biketm- I like how you are inspiring your buddies at work to get fit! It's good to hear you are feeling so good after that rough patch you went though some weeks back. nono- funny what you said about leaving the kids! I'll bet while away from them, all you would do is talk abou them! That tempo run sounds about right to me... well done! Peter- nice run Peter. I was looking at the graph of your runs... looks pretty cool! tleeberry- HI! That is an awesome goal you have! Just be patient with your running, build slowly, and you will get there. And keep posting! Mariposai- your recovery plan is very wise. Smart planning like that will keep you running for years to come. Tammy- great, great attitude! The biking will really help your running, so keep at it, even after you are healed. You will have a BLAST with that duathlon, it is such a different experience than running races. You will be hooked! Continued good luck with your recovery. WRFB- welcome home! Thanks again to you and Harriet for making last weekend one of the best ever! Looking forward to reading your report! - First full day back to reality today since Boston. My head is still swimming with all the wonderful things that happened this past weekend, thanks muchly due to the fantastic boomer encounters I was fortunate to have, and also the awesome support from everyone here. Smile The ankle is no worse for wear after the marathon, which is encouraging, and for which I am very thankful for. Legs are a bit sore, but at least I can go down stairs without falling. Took lots of pictures, I hope to get them posted for you all at some point. Took a very nice hike with Jake when I got home yesterday. Saw a seal sunning itself on one of the rocks out in the water, which surprised me, I've only seen them in the wintertime here, and very rarely at that. Had another nice hike again this morning in cool, clear conditions. Having such nice weather sure helps! I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep up the responses in the future here. I really enjoy doing that, so I'll try. It really is one of the highlights of the day for me. I will be reading and thinking of you all every day though. Work is about to get very busy with a new project, and outside of work will be equally as busy. The two caretakers I mentioned who were having troubles before I headed up to Boston... well one of them passed away on Monday under the care of hospice. It happened at 3:45pm. I crossed the finish line of the marathon at 3:00pm. The other one, after many tests and much deliberation will be starting a new risky treatment in a few weeks, in the hopes of restoring some quality of life. Although the risk is statistically small, the treatments could be fatal. To give you an idea of the situation, she is hoping the treatments will be fatal. Sad Goals? Same as always... be better than you were the day before. Smile
                            Bob, You have been encouraging all of us, writing summaries every day and including everyone (even this interloper typing right now) Take care of yourself! Give yourself a chance to recover, this has been a huge adventure and you've done so much for some many. We don't want you to burn out! Take care of work and what needs to get done and then put your feet up and do nothing. I think these folks here are in it for the duration, write when it is a joy not a chore. Amy is lucky to have you on her team. Take care. And I'll keep those in hospice and in treatment in my prayers. I know what this is like.
                            LaVita
                              Btb - sorry to hear of that sad news. Everything is a rollercoaster, and you will be at the top again someday. Holly - good luck with the house on Friday. Too busy for a RR? How about some pictures or dirt on other Boomers. P.S. You're on the top of my list Wink I woke up feeling fastastic after a long and solid night's sleep. Interval day, my last speedwork before Eugene. Thought I might do 4 x 1 mile, but I kind of went crazy on the first mile because I saw how close I was to running a PB for the mile, so I ended up just doing 3 reps of 1 mile. 1.86 mile w/u @ 11:11 mile reps: 7:57 Ok, that's a PB and I was tailgating puke zone on it Yes 8:21 this one was completely by feel, "comfortably hard" and no "hard" 8:08 this one was also "comfortably hard" but I sprinted the last bit 2.6 mile c/d @ 10:33 My legs felt great on the first mile, like I had like jet packs on them or I was floating above the ground. I don't think I've ever felt that before. Smile Happy hump day!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Enkie, you are experiencing the magic of tapering. I am so exicited to see how well you are gearing up for your first marathon. Congrats. Now, be careful this week. Eat well, rest well and enjoy the magic. I can't wait to see you run your 26.2 miles. You will fly.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard