Masters Running

Monday, May 19 Daily (Read 576 times)

Good Morning. WAY too tired this morning. I never realized how tiring the experience of having company can be. They left yesterday afternoon and I ended up falling asleep on the couch watching TV. Then I got up and staggered to bed to sleep 8 solid hours.......which is VERY unusual for me. I am not complaining, as it was good to have some company but just surprised at how tired I got. I think it was all about the change of schedule for me. I did manage to get in a couple of miles yesterday afternoon, which was fine. It was meant to be a slow run and I succeeded with that goal. I hope you have a great week. Several are in the midst of tapers, eithe pre or post race. Others are nursing nagging injuries that affect what they can or cannot do for running. In all cases, people are thinking and talking "RUNNING" and that is what we enjoy hearing about. So, please do let us know what is happening. Questions? Ask away. Are you trying something new? Let us hear about it. Have you read or heard about something that would be of interest to us? Share it with us. Of course, we also will entertain the lastest puppy story, family occasion, work incident, or personal situation. I NEVER repeat gossip, so listen carefully the first time I share it. Good luck with your week. I hope this is a good one for each of you. Joey
    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning Vista! Heading back to WV today so got in 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory at 10 min pace, AHR 138. IRC 52F before leaving. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Puppies? Who keeps talking about puppies?? Two of the girls kicking back in the corner. Vista - company does make you tired. I'm sure you enjoyed every minute of it though. Thanks for the thoughful start up for what would otherwise be a typical Monday. Rest day for me. Woo Hoo! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for starting us off Vista....glad you got a good nights sleep. Nice "4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory" Perch in IRC. Again Mary, very cute pictures of the puppies...have a nice rest day....though I personally hate them Roll eyes After logging my weekend miles, I realized I hit a weekly miles PR - 62 miles after Sat's 21 miler and Sundays 7.....felt great considering how sick I was the week before. I hope Bob is doing ok....has anyone heard from him, or have I missed a post from him. Plan on a 10 mile tempo run tonight, if my legs are fresh. Have a wonderful Monday and week all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Love those puppy pictures, Mary. Keep 'em coming. Strength training for me today -- PDR and I even worked out how to share the dumbells (no comments about dumbells, please). Is it Monday already? Oh well, off to work.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Boomers. A wise man we call Spareribs says we should do an easy run the day after a race to shake things out and stay loose, so that's what I did this morning. Three easy miles at a 9:41 pace after yesterday's half. I found out I finished 11th in my AG, but I'm more happy about the steady pace I kept for the entire race. Beautiful morning here, but a little chilly - 39F and blue skies. Vista, it always seems weird why we should be tired after entertaining guests, but it seems that as much as you enjoy having company, you never really relax while they're with you. Take it easy today. Mary - love "the girls." They are growing every day! Enjoy your rest day. How's the training for your marathon coming along? Nice easy run with Tory this morning, Perch. Tim - 62 miles last week? You're a machine! Keep up the good work. Way to share those dumbells, WRFB. You guys sure are compatible. Good Monday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                New forum rule: nobody is allowed to post to the daily until Vista starts it off. Nice job again as always, Joey. Holy cow, Tim. That's a heck of a week's mileage. Rest day for me too, so I'll post what I did over the weekend. Friday after work did 18 miles on the bike (2 laps around the local park road). Sunday I ran my longest in several months: 6.2 miles in 1:04. That's not quite running a 10K in less than my age, but close enough for now. I ran it with my club and enjoyed chatting with some new acquaintances as we went along. I was up in the capital (Lansing) on Saturday for a special showing of some of Michigan's regimental flags from the Civil War. It was cool to see these actual flags that had been carried into battle over 140 years ago, still tattered and with bullet holes and, in some cases, bloodstains. A real piece of American history. Good running to everyone this week, and I hope your weather's more spring-like than what we've been having lately (brrrr!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning, all! Hope everyone survived the weekend. Nice kickoff as usual, Vista! Perch - good to see you are back home with Tory again! Jesse and I walked 7 miles on Saturday and 5.25 miles on Sunday. 9 easy miles on the track for me yesterday. I'm feeling the effects of 2 races and a 20 miler in the last three weeks. I feel like I'm on the verge of a running injury, so I'm going to take it easy this week and just use the marathon as an easy, well-supported training run. 5 easy miles on the treadmill this morning. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

..roch//.....we have soldiers from the 1st Michigan buried in our cemetary at Hopkinsville. also Confederates from Alabama, and Texas.....this is from the Battle of Perryville, amazing that they came from so far off.... .......the Confederate Headstones are pointed ''so the Yankees can't sit on 'em'' so my Grandfather told me..... ====== ......but I digress..... 22-min on the versalimber,,,,,did some Deck Sealing and POT moving yesterday (and The Back knew it......drat) .......going easy for 48-hours...... ................good running guys...........try not to sit on any Confederate Headstones....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Cute little puppies, I never get tired of seeing pet photos... This month IS going fast... 10.17 miles of hills @ 9:17 pace...another perfect morning here. Spent most of the day yesterday cutting trees and landscaping. I've been taking all the pines down, I consider them "weed" trees. I'm pretty fanatical about my grass and this is probably the best that it has ever looked. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Happy rest day all! In my case my non-running day will have to wait due to my travel schedule. So today I went out for a 15 mile run. After about 4 miles I decided it was time to work on my pacing a bit, seeing as I have not run a race or done any speedwork in two months. All I can say is I am really far from where I used to be. Despite "pushing it" a bit I never cracked an 8:15 mile and finished with an overall pace of 8:47. I tell you bodies just suck! You spend all that time working on your racing, get hurt, take a couple of months off, come back and find that you are starting from way down in a hole. Who designed these things we walk around in anyway! Wink biketm as to Bob I have had sporadic contact with him. He seems to be doing quite well. Last I hear from him the surgery seemed to have gone better than anybody had a right to expect. He is training for the Missoula Half Marathon and it seems to be going well. I looked at his "easy" day splits on his log and all I can say is I hope my hard days are as fast as his easy ones someday!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

No running today and no work as it's Victoria Day Weekend here in Canada, so off today. Dinner last night was fantastic and everyone loved the steak and gargonzola pizza... 5 days till the marathon.............Am I revved up... Here's a picture from my last 10K last weekend. Have a great day tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hey all. Back after a great vacation week, but a return trip from he**. The flight timelines were ugly and I'll not bore you with them. Suffice it to say that I may get back on eastern time and catch up on my sleep by about Thursday or so. Rochrunner my family has a civil war sword stamped with an 1860 date on it that we have been passing down from generation to generation. I always thought it was so cool. I remember taking it into my 6th grade class for a show-and-tell day. I'd probably be arrested and expelled if I tried that today. Peter amazing grass and landscaping. Are you willing to come down and do mine? I'd pay. Gladly ... I am experiencing the typical, and not unexpected, post-marathon running apathy as I reassess where I want to go from here. I've been looking back over my training log for the last couple of years. And while I see a very solid improvement in mileage and distances and a tremendous amount of running knowledge gained, I see very little improvement pace-wise. Everyone has been saying I'm getting faster and improving, but the numbers are telling a different story. I may have been overestimating my abilities and paces for awhile now. Wishful thinking probably. At any rate, I have a history of working really hard at something, wanting to do things the right way, achieving some quick success but then plateauing and not improving much after that. Solid work ethic, but limited talent. Same thing seems to be happening with my running. So rather than continue a frustrating pattern, I think I need to change things up. I'm going to work on shorter distances and speed for a while and hopefully get a bit faster. Then I may try a marathon again. That is open to serious debate though. I don't have a plan as of yet. It is admittedly a bad time of year for me to be doing this, seeing as the weather down here will make it tough to see any improvement at all. It was 94 degrees yesterday for example. So I may ease off for the summer and hit it hard in the fall/winter. Or I may just run through the H&H and deal with it. Stay tuned. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Erika – how’d things go with DS2? I was thinking about you yesterday when BOTH of my kids got in trouble for bad behavior at an outdoor birthday party they attended – DD for cursing, and DS for peeing down a slide on a dare (?!) – not a proud mother moment, for sure. Sad Tim – congrats on the mileage PR! I was thinking about Bob today too, and sent him an e-mail this morning asking after him. Peter – that is lovely! Tall – nice photo! I didn’t do a darn thing this morning that was related to exercise. In fact, I spent most of my time shopping at Amazon.com for a replacement for my too-high-to-reach showerhead (the curse of being short), and found this nifty one: http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-NML-603-Pulsating-Showerhead/dp/B000GLKBFC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1211203239&sr=8-3 Is that cool or what? Then I spent the rest of my morning workout time rearranging the contents of my kitchen drawers. Big grin I may do some core stuff tonight, if time allows, but more likely I will continue to unpack and arrange the contents of the house. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6 easy miles with T this morning,overcast skys and 53 degrees... DW and DD#1 leave for Knoxville early tomorrow morning for DI Global Finals at U of T...very exciting...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip