Masters Running

Mon. Sept. 22 Fall runs and rests (Read 505 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Scheduled rest day for me! So no one gets to call me lazy. Wink Went for a walk on the pier last night with DD#1 and watched a gorgeous sunset. B'Nellie came along and was the cutest pup out there. This is my last high mileage week and then I get to find out what taper madness is really all about. I expect a quiet day at work so I can read race reports. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Mary! Taper madness indeed,,,,he, he, he Evil grin Greetings from Boone, NC where I ran 4 energetic miles at 7:57 pace. I am not sure where the energy came from since I didn’t sleep well, but I’ll go with it. It was brisk at 43F with starry skies at 6:00 AM. The brisk air helped shrink the bags under my eyes although anyone who saw me this morning probably thought I was weeping. Anyway, good running, resting and working out to all. I have to get to a meeting soon and must attend to some hair theatre and various other preparations. Congratulations to Ultrachick/Kelly on completing her first (are there more in your future?--egads) 100 miler---3rd overall and she won the woman’s race. Hot Dang! Check out the 40/40 thread and you’ll see her note. Phenomenal! CNYrunner
      PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Rest day after yesterday's 24. I'll be in Renfrew, Ontario for most of October (be back the night before Hartford at around midnight). Tramps - does that give you a hint? -PBJ
        Dave59

5.3 miles with 4x6 minutes at a faster pace.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning Smile Yeah Mary, I wonder about that taper madness myself when the time comes. Next time I will make the coffee FIRST, before running with my 28 year old friend...just for you Wink Nice run and pace Karin. I had my first 70 mile week and wondered how you do that - and more, all the time Roll eyes...you are awesome. Good 24 miler PBJ...that's a long ways to run Nice run for you too Dave, with some speed intervals. No run for me yet, as I will run an easy 4 miler after work to rest my legs...even though they feel great. Have a great Monday everyone Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

I set my alarm for 5:30 to go down to the gym for a workout... but rolled over and went back to sleep. I feel like I'm up in the middle of the night... oh wait! It is! (for me... 3:47 a.m.) This 4 hour time change is hard enough without a tough marathon first, ugh. So, looks like sort of a rest day, but lots of conference walking today and a trip to the Spy Museum tonight... Mary and Tim, you'll figure it out soon enough, the last week is the worst. PBJ!! Nice run, how's the heel? Sounds like you're back and ready to go! Sorta fun posting on the daily before Holly or the Beers.... Big grin
                Continued being a regular runner again with 5 miles this morning in a little fog (the atmosphere, not me). Starting a 5K club with 5th graders this morning. We are training for 9 weeks with a 5K race in the community at the end of the 9 weeks. The students and their parents have to sign a contract saying the kids will complete the training while being a good citizen and getting their homework done. I had 8 5th graders sign up and I am interested to see how it goes.
                dg.

morning everyone, Erika, where are you? I missed this trip. Karin, you make me laugh. i'm going to have to try the brisk air method. maybe i'll start sleeping outside. Wink. 45 min. of prehab, a tiny bit of pilates, foam roller meets piriformis. 1 mile walk & 1.15 mile hilly run with Sadie. all for now. happy monday!
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. busy day yesterday, barely got to read, much less post. But for what it's worth. 5.2 miles in 48:50. things felt good, so I'm hoping that my base is going up slowly enough that I won't manage to hurt myself again. CNY-- a totally off the wall question for you--is there a large Muslim population in Boone? the reason I ask, when I was in Abu Dhabi a few years back, i bought a prayer rug that had a compass built in as a souvenir. it came with a world wide listing of coordinates to let the faithful be sure that they were facing the proper direction for their prayers. For the US it had NYC, Miami, SF, etc, and then Boone, NC. it seemed just a bit out of step with the other choices. Just wondering. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Karin, Boone is really nice at this time of year. Lots of great runs & races yesterday. This is always an exciting part of the year when all the races start popping up. Good running to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Sorta fun posting on the daily before Holly or the Beers.... Big grin
                        You got lucky today, as it was a rest day for me and PDR. Let's see what happens tomorrow Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning all. wow for Ultrachick! Great race! Nice 24 PBJ Speaking of 24: 24: REDEMPTION (2hr show Nov 23rd) Filmed on location in Cape Town, South Africa, and Los Angeles, 24: REDEMPTION stars Emmy Award winner Kiefer Sutherland along with new cast members Cherry Jones, Robert Carlyle, Gil Bellows and Academy Award winner Jon Voight. After sacrificing everything for his country, Jack Bauer (Sutherland) is wanted by the U.S. government and now stands to lose the only thing he has left: his freedom. Working as a missionary in Africa, Bauer is called upon to stop a ruthless warlord from drafting innocent children into his murderous militia. First, Bauer must confront his own torturous past and face an impossible decision that will change his life forever. A decision that will set the stage and raise the stakes for Season Seven, which debuts in January 2009. Rest day today: 2 mile walk with Tory. This leg problem is alot like PF except in the calf. This morning walking was painful (in the lower part of the calf) as weight shifts to forefoot. So I walked on my toes for a while with each step painful but lessened each step. Finally the pain subsided and walking normal felt... normal. I could run some strides by the end and afterwards it feels good. I see the Dr tomorrow finally. Right now I could run a marathon but if I can't get mileage I don't know about 5 weeks from now. Yesterday's 4 miler brought me to 2002 miles for 2008 so far!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! PBJ – 24 miles yesterday? Wow! Enkephalin – my DD, like yours, spurns the cute princess, fairy, and unicorn costumes this year, and insists that she wants to be something scary and creepy for Halloween. Undecided Lost of great racing this weekend, including PRs by Tall, Busiman, and Teresa, if I recall correctly – great job! Nice to see Dg kicking butt, too. Smile CNYRunner - Karin I don’t know how you do all you do, and on so little sleep. I don’t do well at all when I don’t get enough sleep. Perch – congratulations on breaking the 2000-mile barrier already! Keep us posted on the doctor visit. No run for me today – light x-training instead: lateral raises, reverse flies, dumbbell presses, lying hammer curls, flies, weighted squats, dead lifts, weighted duck squats, various crunches and wall-sits. Happy First Day of Fall!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

PBJ--Tape? (Nice 24 yesterday!) Perch--Ouch; hope you get good news from the doc 5.5 @ 9:07. We're on a streak of IRC.

Be safe. Be kind.

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Good morning all...rest day for me, fortunately my legs weren't as heavy as I was expecting. DOMS is usually 48 hours though :-P
                                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                                also on Twitter