Masters Running

Wednesday, (June opps) July 2nd Daily (Read 564 times)

Wow........I have everyone excited about doing June over again.....or NOT doing it over again. My "autocomplete" kicked in when I started to type "Ju"........and it just filled in the "ne". At that hour of the morning, I never noticed. Of course this is from someone who when asked for my phone number recently, I gave a phone number from 20 years ago instead of my current one. Shocked Thanks for the whisper Karin. I would never have noticed my mistake I don't think. It is corrected now. NJ is a pretty state with plenty to offer. The coast is beautiful and there are some lovely areas. biketm....that sounds like an interesting evening. It sounds like you have your head together pretty well in regards to evaluating it. From personal experience, dating or meeting people at this stage in life is VERY interesting. It is definitely different than when we were teenagers. That goes from BOTH sides of it. My willingness to be involved is much more cautious than when I was younger. I laughed at your "number of cats" comment because it seems THAT is the type of thing that either makes or breaks a relationship. A lady I met wanted to know if I liked dogs. Well her idea of LIKING dogs and my idea were different. Obviously the right question was whether the dogs liked me. She invited me over for coffee and desert. She had four dogs, one of which bit me as soon as I turned my back on her. I was given a kitchen chair to sit on while the dogs had their spots on the two couchs. That one was a quick....."Good night" and "Good bye" relationship.....and I DO like dogs......just not when they have a seat at the dining room table. I hope your massage is successful today Dave. It obviously must be working the right tissue to help you. jlynne......you have built up a pretty good balance of miles. If you run ANY miles during July and August, you should be easily hitting the 2,000 KM level or 1,240 miles. You can always adjust your goals at the end of the summer as I suggested that I am doing. You really are doing well. Karin......your vacation without laptop, etc. is EXACTLY what everyone in this fast paced society needs to do. Enjoy it when it starts.
    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks for the start Vista. It is a good time to reflect on the last half and plan the second half of '08. Tim.. no brainer... RUN! DickyG... what a veteran! 10.7 MOH in 1:32:45 (8:38 pace, AHR 147). First 2.2 miles with Tory. Mile splits ranged from 9:30's to 7:30's. IRC, 58F which is rare for this time of year in NC.. we'll take it! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ribs and CNY, what part of NJ were you in? I've spent some time around Freehold and Hopewell. Dave, the ratio of women running to men in general seems to be about 2 to 1 these days.
        How is your year going in regards to your running goals?
        Not exactly great: my new goal is just to be able to run at all. The irony is that one of the things I was looking forward to when I retire in a few weeks was to have more time for running, and lately I've been worried that I've had the "big one" that might put me out of it entirely. Very discouraging, but I've seen it happen to several former running partners. Maybe I just need more patience, but that's never been my strong suit. Good running to everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

good morning all, rest day for me - mainly because i don't have my running shoes with me; already have a pair waiting in sweden, where we will be heading this evening. too bad, too, because fjorddaughter (we are staying with the newlyweds in seattle) asked me to run with her this morning - and i hate to turn her down. the wedding was wonderful - perfect weather, the most beautiful bride, delicious food, everything just... oh dear, runnng out of adjectives. anyway, good runs! susan
          Dave59

"Glycogen, the muscle's primary fuel source during exercise, is replenished more rapidly when athletes ingest both carbohydrate and caffeine following exhaustive exercise, new research shows. Athletes who ingested caffeine with carbohydrate had 66% more glycogen in their muscles four hours after finishing intense, glycogen-depleting exercise, compared to when they consumed carbohydrate alone, according to the study." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080701083456.htm
            Great! I am having coffee and peanut butter cookies after my morning run.

I've got 535 since 1/1/08 but better that that, I started running on 8/1/06 and yesterday I logged my 2000th mile!!! Every mile was outside on the pavement, getting up at 5:00AM to run before work but I'm not complaining, it feels great, you all know what I mean!!!
                I've got 535 since 1/1/08 but better that that, I started running on 8/1/06 and yesterday I logged my 2000th mile!!! Every mile was outside on the pavement, getting up at 5:00AM to run before work but I'm not complaining, it feels great, you all know what I mean!!!
                Congratulations!!! That certainly is a great accomplishment. You have got a good year of miles going for 2008 as well. Thanks for letting us know this. It is an encouragment to us all.
                Vista
                lamerunner

Good morning all from the occasional poster.. Moderate paced 8 miles this morning, legs still a bit fatigued from the solo 18 on Sunday I think, or just insufficient sleep, but it was ok. This week will be lighter than last; we are hiking tomorrow and Friday, so any running will be minimal and I will shorten up the long run a bit on the weekend. Marathon not until October 5 so there is time. Dicky G, I used to be good too, at least compared with now, and I remember that calendar as well as some early Cherry Blossom races and pretty strong marathons. Hard to be a has-been but I guess I can shoot for masters PRs. Holly, my cake strategy is opposite; I cut off the frosting with a tiny bit of cake attached, eat that and ditch the bulk of the cake, lol! Ribs, hope all is well. My good cholesterol is 112, must 30 years of running and a lot of wine...family history is horrible though. All kinds of BP and heart issues. Good reason to stay active. have a good day everyone!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Holly, my cake strategy is opposite; I cut off the frosting with a tiny bit of cake attached, eat that and ditch the bulk of the cake, lol!
                    Me too Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

I don't like running when it gets real warm which throws me behind during the summer months. I'm going to try to do better during July, and force myself outside on warm days. I have to remember those cold January months when I was freezing my --- off!
                      Sometimes I think we humans try too hard to "conquer" nature, instead of being a part of it. We try to keep our same running schedules year round, or dictated by the races we've signed up for. It makes more sense to me to pay attention to the weather and to how it makes you feel, and let it be your guide. It's OK to skip a run if its really hot or really cold out. My running tends to peak in the spring and fall when the weather's nicest, and drop off in summer and winter. I often pick my rest days after looking at the weekly weather forecast. There's always the treadmill or indoor track option when the weather's bad, and that's certainly nice when the weather's bad for a long stretch, but again, that's trying to defeat nature. I realize my "winging it" approach to running would be hard for many of you. Cool Just food for thought.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

My basil is growing like crazy...I'm going to make some pesto with it later this week.
                        That tomato and basil salad sounds refreshing and nourishing. I also love pesto. I planted well over 30 plants of basil this year (started from seeds). My problem is that some of the plants are starting to seed on me. Any solutions to that? I have tried to clip the flowers off, but I am afraid I will damage the plant by doing too much. Tramps, that posting is sooo tempting...big bowl of pasta, cakes and coffee right after my morning runs hummmmm... Wink fjordrunner!!!! buen viaje mi amiga. I am so glad to hear that the wedding was just like perfect!! I bit you the mother of the bride looked gorgeous too. Erika and Holly...cakes are a treat in my vocabulary...so...when I eat them I eat the whole darn piece with gusto!!! glad to hear that Spareribs is behaving out there. vista...you are such a cool dude!!! This is a smoky day in my town. There is a big fire just across the valley from us. In fact the same place where we hiked with our son for his 20 mile hike Scout merit badge is burning up as I am typing. Poor farmers and ranchers who have lost everything to the fire. Today was tempo day for me. So I went out for a run, but 2 miles into it I decided that it was too smoky for my asthma so I came back home and finish the run on the TM. 8 miles total, which includes warm up, cool down and 5 miles at 9:15 (I was aiming at a sub 9, but the lungs did not like the smoke at all) Happy Wednesday to all. I am looking forward to the weekend. My baby#1 is coming home from Vienna. For now, I am worried sick because he had to check out of his dorm on Monday and now he is playing bum until tomorrow. Oh!!!! why do kids tell this things to their parents?? I probably would have been just fine not knowing that my son is playing bum on purpose in a foreign country. I offer to pay for a hotel...but no...this is what he wants to do. Confused

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild, your monday comments about the variety of people who run were good. lynden, congrats on your 10 year runaversary and 3 years without smoking. biketm, even though it sounds like no future with your ex-classmate, I imagine that the one get together to reminisce could be enjoyable. Holly, happy birthday for your daughter. Tall, nice 5K race with 2nd masters. Franc, it sounds like the staff at the doctor's office didn't handle the situation with your daughter well at all. Nice long runs for CNY, SueT, craneium, biketm, peter (with hills), craneium (another), breger, CNY (another), and perch. This morning, the temp was in the low to mid 60s with a light wind. I got in 6 miles in a bit under 59:30 for a 9:54 pace. I got my new Garmin 205 yesterday so this was my first run using it. My ancient GPS which died could only show one item of information in addition to total time and laps had to be entered manually. After the run, I could get avg. pace, as well as actual distance and avg. pace for each of the laps so it was pretty good for my purposes. On my run today, I had total time, distance, and inst. pace. I had set the auto lap for one mile so got accurate mile splits afterwards (also, as they occured if I looked at the right time). Of course, many of you know what I can get but it was new and exciting for me. Before I went to get the morning paper on my bike, I added average pace for the whole run and turned on auto pause. At the end, while I was looking at mile splits, I stumbled on the map of my run and bike ride. As time passes, I'll probably find more neat stuff. It's good there's a manual since I could never find the things I've already done without it. I do have some questions about the battery that I haven't found (yet, if it's there) in the manual. I'm curious as to what sort of life (miles or hours) one can expect on one charging. I saw the battery icon and assume it will indicate when the battery charge is low. When it shows low, is there much time left or is it about to go dead very soon? Is the battery one where you should let the charge get low before recharging or is it ok to keep it "topped off"? A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                          dg.

I just have time to sneak in with a good morning. if i type fast. Holly, so you're replacing food with beer? An interesting approach. Wink. You know little pieces don't count. My mom used to make lots of dough ahead for christmas cookies. I remember peeling back the waxed paper & taking just a tiny bit. Years later she was talking about it & said she'd get out the dough to make the cookies & there'd be this little tiny ball left. I know she made that up!!! Shocked But anyway. The calories didn't count. Erika, glad you got your run in last night. At your "haulin' butt" pace. Wasn't that the one that was supposed to be wash out-- or did I miss a day? Lou,
                            We're in the middle of our afternoon siesta (from what, I have no idea)
                            ... The schedule you two keep would make me nap for a year. Thanks Holly, Sue & PDR! Tried the gym this morning again, cut back a little. 27 min. on the elliptical, 20 each on the arc trainer & recumbant bike. Bothered my foot but just a little. nono, I'm scrolling through the daily then tabbing over to notepad to type this... was just going to type "Run Away!!!" then I scolled down to you. Big grin. Best of luck finding what your Mom needs & surviving that & your move. Jeanne, what's going on with your hip? Sue, I'm glad your weather was a bit better. Thanks Tramps. & Karin, thanks for the update on Twocat. I've been worried, because she was having so many problems. Forgot about the Hawaii trip. Still wondering about Amy & DH> Hey hi TW. I was also wondering about iron. (re Ribs) see me working hard. Roll eyes I will now.
                              Tom - it sounds like you have figured out much of the Garmin already! I don't know about battery life, it certainly holds up for at least 5 hours. I have one suggestion, in case you didn't notice this one, you can do average mile pace so that it is not "instantaneous" pace which is absolutely useless. The avg mile pace calculates and readjusts as you go along, so that by 1/4 mile it is pretty accurate for how fast you have been running. So on one screen I have avg mile pace and total cumulative pace. Pretty useful during a race when I have an overall pace target in mind. But since it will measure most race courses long, you have to adjust your Garmin pace goals to reflect the discrepancy (usually about 5-7 seconds/mile). Tim - I had to laugh! 10 cats, huge RED FLAG, and the clingy part, and the credit cards... But I take exception to the eating in 5 minutes because that is how I eat! Maybe you should join a running club....and offer to run with the slower women once in a while. I overslept today so now I have to wait until 7pm to run. Should be nice and warm by then, which is a good thing (said sounding like Martha Stewart), as it will make me go slowly and rest my legs. Erika, I had so many tedious, boring and hard summer jobs when I was a teenager....I would be pulling my hair out about your son. On my side, my kids have been fighting horribly since school let out... Angry

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning 6 easy miles today @10 min/mile pace. I will do a 4 mile recovery run tomorrow before the 5k on Friday. In answer to DickyG's question, the race is in Redondo Beach CA. It runs right along the ocean, so it is usually a pretty cool morning. This year it should be around 65F when the race starts at 8 am. I am at 795.5 for the year. I will make 1,000 and 1,500 for sure and there is a chance that I will also make 2,000. After Friday I don't have another race until November so I plan on uping my mileage to 46 MPW. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano