Masters Running

Giant memories, a race report (Read 39 times)

Mariposai

The Avenue of the Giants has been in my bucket list for many years. I am so glad that I was able to run this marathon the year that our RA masters family decided to have a reunion there.

Here are a few pictures that will forever be part of my Ave of the Giants memories collage.

The trees were truly inspirational. One feels so fragile and small in comparison to them.

Driving down  the Oregon coast was also fantastic.

The amazing food that Leslie and Shorty prepared for us for carboloading was delightful.

and yes, the birthday sisters really enjoyed the good food

What can I say, I love Marj and Henry!!!

The hours of giggles we shared together

Race wise, the plan was to run this as a training long run for the Winthrop marathon, but I had a surprise coming.

The majestic setting of the giant trees, the birds singing in the forest, the misty rain, the cool weather, the perfect carboloading leading to the race gifted me with a 1 minute marathon PR and a BQ.

I felt strong the whole way and never hit the wall, even when for many miles I was running at my current 5k pace.

---

and of course, passing this dude at mile 25 was very sweet. At this point I had no idea was on my way for a BQ. Garmin did not work because of the darn tall trees Smile so I had no way I could measure my pace nor tell the time I have been out there on the race course since I did not program that essential information on my garmin before the race (long story).

No. I did not know that I was running a sub 4 hour until the Easy Pacer met me at about mile 26 and ran a few yards with me and told me how well I was doing.

I knew that I was running strong and when I felt tired I said to myself...this next mile is for Spareribs and that kept me going...

Speaking for Spareribs, he is not going to like this picture...

When I heard the word you are under sub 4 from the Easy Pacer, I printed  to the finish line Smile

Marathon #31 done. A Boston Qualifier and a PR. Yes...I was happy. See my Omak Orchards in Bloom race shirt I am wearing? I love that little rural race 

The Easy Pacer and I are very happy that we drove down to California for this race. It was fun seeing old friends and meeting Leslie and Shorty for the first time. They are such a special fun loving couple.

The Easy Pacer took 3rd place in his AG for the 10k. I took 4th in my AG in the marathon. Yes, we are very happy with our performance.

Of course, the driving was delightful because we had the lovely Enkephalin as company.

I must say that I enjoy RA meet ups this much...

My RA running family has shown me how wide and how big the running world is. Thank you!

The End.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

What a wonderful event. The pictures and personalities are great. Your PR and BQ are an outstanding accomplishment.

SteveP

Henrun

Your collage is pure poetry and captures the essence of our weekend and your triumphant run.

Mike E

MM #5615

Very nice report.  Congratulations on a PR and a BQ!

coastwalker

Hi Nancy,

Excellent, and well-photographed report. Congrats on a great meet-up and a fantastic race!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Nancy -  YOU ran a great race and write a wonderful race report.  I'm thankful that Sue and I could be part of the story.  You looked very comfortable running that first mile and at each of the turnarounds you seemed to be moving effortlessly.  Maybe it was the wings on your back.  Congrats on your BQ.  Now go and flap your wings at Boston.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

C-R

Wow. Now on my bucket running list. Thanks for sharing and see YOU in Boston next year.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

Nancy -  YOU ran a great race and write a wonderful race report.  I'm thankful that Sue and I could be part of the story.  You looked very comfortable running that first mile and at each of the turnarounds you seemed to be moving effortlessly.  Maybe it was the wings on your back.  Congrats on your BQ.  Now go and flap your wings at Boston.

+ 100

add Henry and me to those who enjoyed being part of the story.  I'm happy I saw you running and I knew it was a BQ, didn't realize it was also a PR!  Congrats again and see you in April

marj

Fantastic and Inspiring!

Looks like big trees and big plates of food!  Congratulations on your BQ finish time!  Also, congratulations on getting this RA event going and also on the wild success of the Orchids in Bloom HM you started!  You should really consider a career in race directoring!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Wonderful RR, birthday sister!  You've captured the essence of a mahvelous weekend of running and visiting!  I love running marathons with you - let's do it every year!

I wanted to include Nancy's picture of Leslie and Shorty - they sure treated us well!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

You conveyed your Giant memories so well, it’s like I can finally take it off my bucket list too

Felicitas on both a BQ and PR in marathon no. 31 in your 50th birthday year.
                          Maybe keep on those butterfly wings for no.32 and more
                          Glad you got to wear them again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Wonderful Nancy!!! It was a very enjoyable weekend and I'm so blessed that I've had opportunities to run with you on several occasions now! The Redwoods truly are a magical place to run and I think this year was the most spectacular of the 4 x I've gone down there now. The perfect misty rain in the forest was icing on the cake. Until next time my friend!

Tammy

#artbydmcbride

Great job!  And wonderful report!  Smile

Runners run

pfriese

Fantastic RR & photos, great race for you, and what wonderful fellowship with running friends.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul