Masters Running

Weekly Newbies, WE ROCK! 7/28 (Read 458 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck tomorrow, Teresa. Have a great time at the race. Beach to Beacon, right?
    Thanks, Kevin! Yep, B2B. At least it will be FUN - what great crowds, scenery, and free food! Smile
    dg.

Teresa, how's your ankle??
      lswife

I'm back in the race with all of you! Warming up, stretching, then walking briskly for 30 minutes, cooling down, and other stretches; icing my foot at nights; wearing a brace while I'm sleeping so I don't flex my foot; and then a wonderful med of celebrex. For the first time since late February, I can walk without pain. Both my family doctor and podiatrist gave me the go-ahead to slowly ease back into running. I've walked for a couple of weeks, and this week began the C25K program again. But I had forgotten what week 1 consisted of so ran for 2 minutes/walked for 3...which is approximately week 3. Other than my huffing and puffing, it felt so good. I'm even checking out local 5K races now, and one on Labor Day interests me - they give a real cool shirt Wink Registration notices about next May's Indy mini-marathon arrive in my email weekly, and our DD and her husband are talking about entering. I was thinking about it too, optimistic that in the intervening months, I'd be ready. Then I remembered reading a book, The Diabetic Athlete, and the LONG chapter on special preparations for long distance running. I think I'll stick to 5K races and be satisfied. Good running, everyone!
        dg.

Roberta, I think you're the best. This is so encouraging.
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

now you know the secret of why we enter races--cool shirts! Big grin Glad to hear that you're back on the road again.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My 10K race this morning was WONDERFUL - I'll write up a race report when I get official results. I think I beat last year's time by almost 10 minutes. The weather was perfect - mid-60s, breezy, and so foggy we couldn't see the lighthouse without really looking hard! The hills at the end didn't bother me at all. My ankle feels good - I've got ice on it right now. If any of you ever gets a chance to come to Maine and run the Beach to Beacon, I highly recommend it. The top 10 men and women finishers were from all over the world - Kenya, Japan, Australia, Italy, Romania, etc. I will doublecheck, but I don't think any Americans were in the top 10! It's the coolest race - beautiful scenery and incredible spectators - you feel like you're in the Olympics. I'll write more later! Smile Smile Smile

Me

Congratulations Teresa. That's really exciting. beat last year's time by 10 minutes? Holy Cow you must have been flying. Mike
                  Theresa, WOW!!! 10 mins. Thats incredible. I will take you up on that and run Maine someday. Come down here next weekend and run the Bridge of Flowers 10 k with me. Same deal. Lots of out of towners, lots of people and a huge hill. L's. Glad to hear youre back! REmember the stretch, warm up, run, cool down, stretch routine. I did about 9+ today. Not as far as I'd like but we got lost in my own town, again and my partners were a little under the weather. Then after 5.5 miles with partners I lead the womens group on a weird trail run through the park for another 4 miles plus speed drills. Then breakfast in the park afterwards. Best fun run ever. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Good Afternoon Everyone, Hey, did I miss something? What happened to Eliz? Laurie, that's funny that you got lost in your own town. Sounds like it worked out though. 4 miles for me this morning. Oh BTW, I found out over the weekend that the Cumberland trail practically runs through my back yard. One of the trail heads is 2 miles away. So, I went hiking this past weekend with some new friends. I'm glad that I run, so that I can hike. Cheers Mike
                      Eliz has used the recent heat and humidity as an excuse to be a slacker from running. The logic? I hate running in the kind of heat and humitidy we had here even next to the ocean last week, and I can't kayak in February (well, I could, but I'd freeze to death), so I'm going paddling instead. Then I looked at the calendar and realized that the Philly Distance Run HM is in SEVEN WEEKS Shocked Shocked Shocked and finally decided to get off my (damp from salt water) butt and get moving. I ran 4.3 miles yesterday morning and walked 1.5. Wow, only 7.4 less than a HM! (I'm doing the math in my heat, and it's summer, so my brain is officially off-duty, so I may have subtracted wrong!) I also paddled for a little over 2 hours, about half of it pretty hard, although I did just float and commune with the young seagulls, terns, and egrets for a while. This moning I rode my bike a little over 17 miles - my aching quads said "no running today, girlie!" Back to the running and paddling tomorrow. I just looked at the results of last year's Philly Distance Run - the last finisher took over 4 hours, so I think I just might have some company at the back of THAT pack! Still limited in computer-access time, so I'll catch up with everyone when there's less of a waiting line at the lab. Meanwhile, run well, rest intelligently, and enjoy the rest of the summer, everyone. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Just glanced through a bit of the thread - Deb - thanks for asking, but "work" and "fall" are 4-letter words that I'm still in denial about! Won't know what's going on at school until after a meeting on the 14th, so I'm taking it day-by-day - only way I can right now. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Eliz, It's good to see you! (figuratively speaking of course) Well, I did it. I went to the fitness center at work, after work. I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. I'm not sure I like that. I kept wanting to lock my knees on the down stroke, then the machine would practically launch me over the display on the up stroke. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to. I'm going to plan on the fitness center for cross training on tues and thurs, and run on mon, wed and fri. Then I'll start adding some miles on the weekend. That's the plan anyway. Cheers everyone, Mike
                          dg.

Mike, the Cumberland trail, & friends to hike with. How cool is that? Big grin. you made such a good choice with this move. phew! How do you like the fitness center? A great plan, I think. I don't know if this will help... but as I had to do a few weeks of ellipticalling lately... I kept trying to work on my 'form'. I didn't hold on to any arm things, but stayed upright & tried to function out of my core, hips stable... I don't know if I'm describing it right. I would try to do things like when you run, like a knee drive, leg pull back, etc, & so I don't think my leg ever quite straightened. they're all different anyway, so you have to play with it. flying over the top might be interesting though. keep us posted. btw. I was thinking, maybe you should get a camera. and take pictures. whaddya think? Eliz, delusion is our friend. along with denial. & dementia. Day by Day. Sounds like you've been keeping busy doing happy things. Very nice. Smile Laurie, nice 9 miler. it sounds like so much fun. What's this I hear about your ankle? Teresa, wtg! Amazing PR. and it sounds like such a cool race. Linda, are you still gone? How are you? How is your dad? Joni, I hope you're ok. Kevin, nice zippy run you had! i laughed when i read your description the other day... don't remember it exactly, but you were being moderate, & not trying to go from 6 to 20 miles in one fell swoop like you did a week or so ago. (more or less!) I always think the same thing. Especially when I'm along the river, I think, oh today & can just to 12, maybe 13. Where does that come from, I wonder? Then we both hurt something. 4.8 miles this morning. one very fun & maybe zippy strider. I still didn't have my polar, except it came in the mail today. whoohoo.
                            Rindaroo

Hey all - Kevin - LOL, okay I think I'm finally in the right frame of mind... Debbie - I got back Sunday night, & gained MORE weight on vacation... so I am on a mission now! I did hopped on the treadmill this a.m. & yesterday too, 2.3 & 2.4 miles run/walk each time. Monday was 3/3 runwalks, this morning was 5/3 runwalks... Calves are a bit tight from 2 days in a row, so my DH set up my mountain bike on the stationary bike stand & am going to try that tomorrow morning. So, you haven't tested the polar out yet? I have been wondering about your heartrate. Laurie - Boy our kids are close in age, my son turned 13 yesterday. We went to dinner tonight at a yummy seafood place Smile & he had a party down south with family & friends too. We had a great time on vacation, 2 days in Mammoth checking out craters, earthquake fissures, and the rest of them did some mountain biking. Then off to Socal with a jam packed schedule, 4 partial days spent with my dad including Disneyland, the beach, a birthday party for DS & dinner & hanging out at Dads one day too. He didn't end up going to Disney, but we left early to have dinner & hang with him that evening. He is actually in really bad shape, can barely walk around, can barely see now, and can't use his hands for much of anything Sad But, he was very happy to "see" us & spend a bunch of time with us. So mission accomplished I think, for the kids & him. So, while I was gone, there were layoffs at my work. Thank goodness it wasn't me, but seems they are trying to rearrange things to take the pressure off me.. but of course a new person to train, so may be awhile before that actually happens.. There is hope anyway, & that is always a good thing Smile
                                Mike, I hated the dang eliptical too at first. It takes some getting used to. I dont have the leg arm coordination down well. But I kept with it and like it now. I try not to stay lock kneed. Bend your knees a bit so you dont feel as if youre going to launch over the top. I am jealous of your hike and new friends. It takes me forever to meet friends. Eliz, Where do you go to kayak for 2 hours? I wish I had somewhere here that was large enough for 2 hours worth. I guess I could do the CT river up and back a bit. I want to take a tour of the Charles river or one of the Boston harbor islands tours. I will put that on my must do list for summer and force the girls to go with me. I took them kayaking last night. They got bored after a half hour on the lake. Youre sort of local. Why do we meet and do a half sometime? Deb, I rolled my ankle on the trial run with the women. Sunday night it was painful. Monday a little painful and yesterday back to normal. Knock on wood! Any race plans for you? Linda, welcome back. The vacation sounds like a blast. How was the weather? I forgot what work you do. Besides your 13 year old what other kids do you have? I have Kim who is my 17 year old tri partner and Melisa who is 21. Long swim yesterday in the lake. Kids kayaked while I swam. Today might hit the gym but I need to get a run in soon. I got a group of women together for the Bridge of Flowers 10k this weekend. Its a hugely popular run in the Birkshires with a hill that feels like you are running up the side of a mountain. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.