Masters Running

Thursday -- Anyone going to start it? (Read 527 times)

TammyinGP

you obviously failed to see my second suggestion Opie. . . Roll eyes

Tammy

...opie//....maybe you are now a BoyToy.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'm not Richard Gere.  Does anyone think it's strange he falls in love with a prostitute in one movie and then is one in another movie?

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM - two things:

First, do you have a 205/305?  My 305 died about a year ago when its top came a little loose without telling me and I submerged it the lake while I was cooling off after a run.  Turns out that as they're dying, their battery packs sometimes start to swell and pop the shell open.  You might have a look at that as you're refastening.  Don't trust it around water any more.

Second, I love that idea of telling yourself you're stronger than you are:  I do much the same thing when the going gets tough.

I tell myself, "I shall run as if I'm [fast | strong | coordinated | not afraid of this hill]."

And then I do.

Great little head-game.  It's to the point that the phrase "as if" is enough to key better running.  Which really messes with DD13's head because I tell her something Wise and Profound and she says, "as if" and I smile and that just baffles the kid.

Yes, I have a 305. Interesting about the battery dying thing, because on my second leg of the relay over the weekend, the battery low display did come on, but it was 1am so I just ignored it and kept running. It's not as if I could've seen those tiny little numbers anyway, backlit or otherwise. And when I went to turn it on for the third leg, that's when it wouldn't stay on anymore. So what you're saying makes a lot of sense, in an after-the-fact sort of way.

As for swimming with it, I don't. I don't swim, period. I do run in the rain though, and it has been rather wet here lately... hmm....

So what do you suggest? Trash the Garmin and get a Timex? I did email Garmin support, haven't heard back from them... story of my life today, it seems...

As if. I like that. And I can almost see the confusion you describe about your kid. Too funny. Yes, mess with them as much as you can. You made them, so why not?

I ran with the ladies this afternoon and it was a bit challenging to keep up after a couple miles. But then I remembered my new tactic and told myself I wasn't tired, that I was strong enough to keep up. Next thing I knew, I had sped up and caught up and wasn't any worse for the wear. Amazing!

5 more miles this afternoon, this time a minute per mile faster than this morning. Not a bad day at all. Still no phone call though...

Perch, I hope you get your call soon too.

Off to the shower with me, finally!

Dove

The Dovenator

I'm running a 12-hour event on Saturday... if the world ends at 6 pm pacific time, I should be able meet my goal mileage. If the world ends 6pm eastern time... well I bettter plan to run like Hel* (I would hate to miss my goal just because the world ended a bit early)

"it's just like having fun, but different"

evanflein

End of the world already? Dang, and we were just warming up. (ok, bad climate change joke, sorry)

Opie, if you're wondering what to do with that $100, I like Tammy's idea. But... you could just contact Brooke and ask her.

Got out for a nice RAL today. Well, one of those "I will run an easy run today" runs that ends up being tempo'ish. Helps that it's sort of an uphill thing on the way out and reciprocal downhill on the way back. First of many such runs on this trail behind campus that I like. Was going to be a bike path but was never paved, so now it's a nice packed dirt path about bike path-width, goes through trees and brush alongside a road. Most of the other bikepaths around here are right next to the road, so this one is nice.

8:16

8:19

8:16

7:51

7:52

7:35

8:12 pace for the last .3

6.3 miles @ 8:02 avg pace. DS has soccer tonight so wanted to get the run out of the way.

Tap... tap... tap... OM and Perch, make sure your phones are working!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Got my call... got the job... Michigan here we come!

I'll likely start working there June 1st!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Woot! Yay Perch! Congratulations!

TammyinGP

YAY!! Great news Steve!! congratulations!

Tammy

lamerunner

Good evening. Busy day here. I ran an easy 6.5 this morning, with the first two in steady rain then it lightened up a lot.

Still very clludy. We may see that yellow orb tomorrow..

Nice running Erika and everyone else.

OM, sounds promising on the job.

Marathon Maniac #957

Got my call... got the job... Michigan here we come!

I'll likely start working there June 1st!

Yay! Congratulations!

Busy day for me (again).  This morning I got acquainted with the staff at the new job, filled out paperwork, etc.  This time I get my own office, and one with windows!  And my own nameplate!  Wow!  And the best thing?  They have a really nice coffee maker......Smile

DS is going on a school trip to Washington DC next week, and suddenly his allergies have kicked in fierce, so I spent the rest of the day getting the correct paperwork filled out and signed by his doctor, new prescription picked up, and all delivered to his school.  Followed by some serious bathroom scrubbing.  While I'm a little bit annoyed that I've spent up this gift of 3 days off on a flurry of chores and errands, I do feel better for having knocked off some of my naggin to-do's.

9 easy-paced miles for me this morning (ave 9:56).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yay Perch!!

Congrats Perch.

Had a wonderful easy run, even though it was muggy and storms were all around the area, just not in my little 5-mile loop.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Woot! Yay Perch! Congratulations!

+1 several times!!!

Of course this is presuming that the world does NOT end on Saturday.  Joking

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations Perch!

Well, you people did it to me again.  All the talk earlier about telling yourself that "you're strong" and that "you can do it" made me realize that I have been doing a whole lot of telling myself all the things that I can't do anymore.  So, as I went out on my 10 miler tonight, I was really going to take it easy since I had just had a pretty good run on Tuesday.  But when I went through my 3rd mile and I was already ahead of my pace from two days ago, I just went for it.  Everytime any doubt crept into my mind that I was ready to maintain the pace I was going, I told myself that I could.  I just would not allow any negative thoughts in my head.  Tonight's run--10.2 miles in 1:06:32--33:49 out and 32:43 back in.  Yeah--I definately worked harder than I did on Tuesday, but it still felt pretty under control.

Okay--I have to go eat.