Masters Running

How much to pay a race director? (Read 265 times)

coastwalker

Hi all,

I've been helping organize road races for almost 2 decades, but always on a volunteer basis. I've just been asked to interview for a spot as a paid race director for a new race in the area. One of the questions will be how much I want to get paid. I don't have a clue about how to figure that out. This will be one in a series of races that are fundraisers for a national non-profit organization. I don't know (and I realize I have to get this information) how long the race will be (I expect a 5K or 10K), or how many people they expect to participate (I expect at least 1,000+).

Does anybody have a clue about how to determine a reasonable/competitive rate of pay to organize and direct a road race?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I guess it all depends on how much responsibility you have directly.  Volunteer recruting & training, course mapping & approval, police & traffic control, finish line timing & results, finish area details, packet pick up details, shirt ordering, registration, finding sponsors etc.  Is there a board appointed by them? or do you have to seek out volunteers to be on the board? Did they give you a budget and is it reasonable?   You will need access to a buliding and/or tents and toilets.  Finish line professionals or a large group of experienced volunteers to work a low tech finish line. 

I only know of one paid race director but his pay is voted on by the board after the final figures are in, he is usually around $1 per runner 1,200-1,500. 

I don't know how much I helped but some food for thought.  The first year is definitely the hardest. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Maniac 505

Marathon maniac #2 (or maybe #3)  has a business of doing races, as much, or as little as requested. he can get tee shirts done,  get medals done,  make medals,  get permits.  He has flown to hawaii to get a course certified.  he will do as much or as little as requested.  I don't know how much info he would be willing to share, though I could send you hisE-mail if you think it might help

coastwalker

Thanks, Sarge and Divechief, for your input. I'm meeting with the folks tomorrow, so I'll probably make it up as I go along. Someone else suggested asking for a small percentage of the revenue from the race, which is probably as sensible an approach as any - it provides an incentive to control cost and maximize turnout at the race, and allows for 'salary' adjustments as the race grows. It should be an interesting conversation!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.