Masters Running

Tiring Tueday 1-29 runs and wo's (Read 647 times)

Holy I have programmed the watch directly it is not worth the effort when TC will do it for you with much less work. Also, I would not set up any speed goals. The instantaneous pace reading on the Garmin is too erratic for it to really warn you if you are going too slow or fast. When I tried using this feature the bloody watch was beeping all the time with warnings. I just set up the display to read out the pace so far for the current "lap." That seems to work just fine. One last item, if you decide to get a new treadmill I have just one word: E-bay! There are more lightly used coat racks treadmills for sale there at really low prices than you can ever want. You may need to keep checking for a couple of weeks but eventually the lightly used coat rack treadmill of your dreams will come up for sale. I managed to put an entire gym together in my basement with E-bay items none of which cost more than $200 to get. Bill hope the recovery continues. Up here in the north a really nasty cold bug was running around for a bit. Took weeks to recover once you got it. Hopefully you are now at the end of that cycle. Today's run 14.16mi@8:54. Felt pretty good even if it was bit cool out this morning. A good day to all our runners here.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good afternoon. Late posting today, but it was hectic here with a major electrical fault near my cubicle that almost fried my PC. Anyway, I just did some weights and a session on the stationary bike this morning. I think I’m over the hump on my leg injury, to where it’s going to get continually better, although I’ll probably finish out my prednisone before running on it again. Cycling doesn’t seem to bother it much, so it will be mostly spinning for another couple of weeks. Analyzing what I was doing when it got injured, and why I was doing what I was doing, I’ve decided that 2007 was my last year for attempting to set PRs. If one happens, it happens, but I’m not going to pace myself with that in mind (easy to say at this time of year, of course). I’m also shelving the idea of doing another full marathon, as that usually led to problems even when I was younger. I’m still going to have my usual goal events for the year, but will approaching them more as milestones than races. At least that’s my story for now. Good running to everyone else who's out there today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

5 mile tempo run @ 7:18, along with 2.5 miles warm-up/cool-down

Be safe. Be kind.

3.15 miles in 55 degree weather.
          Vista
          munchkn883

Nice 5 mile walk pushing granddaughter. It was a little chilly, but we had a good time. We went down and had lunch with MrMunch (Popeye)...McDonald's of course! Feel pretty good...this course is flat. Oxycodone was great last night...slept most of the night without pain. Can't take it tonight b/c GD is staying with us.
              5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 9:14 mile pace. Nice tempo run, Tramps. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                "Nice tempo run, Tramps."
                Truly! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

SWEET!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Excellent! 5 miles for me in 19 degrees early this am...wanted easy pace but got recovery...sometimes you take what you got and regroup to push it another day.
                    Tramps

Thanks guys but I should provide full disclosure: this isn't an even course so I get a nice downhill towards the end. Sportstrack has it at 183 feet ascending and 217 feet descending. A bit of cheating, I suppose, but it's what I've got handy to run on. Still, I think even just a month's worth of speed work is paying dividends.

Be safe. Be kind.

I got my long run today that I missed this weekend. 20 miles in 3:40 not a great time, but I'll take it. Temp in Mid- Michigan today a balmy 45 degrees with a southwest wind 20-25 mph, going down into low teens tonight, and high of 20 on Wed. If I can get 2 more 20 milers by the middle of March I should be ready for Martian Marathon. Martian has the coolest design of any of my tech shirts, and they promise that this years is awesome.
                        BTY

5 miles at 10:12 pace along the Hudson River at lunch time. This is my cutback week, prior to commencing my 10k training program (shh..I grabbed it off of CR), and I decided to kick it off with my slowest run ever. Well, it just worked out that way. Intentionally slow, but unintentional PR for slowidity. It was 25F and raining just very lightly - not enough to get me wet but wet enough to turn the concrete and granite parts of my route into black ice. Shocked Remember Bambi on the frozen pond? Pretty much me but with more legs. Mrs. bty and I are going out on a cheap date tonite. Proctor's theater, which is one of those grand, elaborate, palatial vaudeville theaters from the 20's, was recently restored, and they still show 2nd run movies at $3.00 for adults, $2.00 for kids. We're going to see Elizabeth - The Golden Age. Popcorn is $.50, Charleston Chews (the full size ones) are about the same, and soda in a cup is also about the same - probably $.75. Probably under $10.00 for the whole thing Big grin I've been accused of making Abe's eyes water. bty
                            enkephalin, sorry to hear about the shin splints. I hope you get over them soon. roch, it sounds like you've realized your not a teenager any more. Welcome to the club. We can still beat a ton of younger couch potatoes though. Nice long runs for hopeful, Sarge (with hills), wa5yom, hallar (on TM), rbbmoose, pfriese, enkephalin, Evan (on TM), jjj, Twocat, PDR, CNY, and marathon derrick. Good job on the speedwork for perch. This morning, it was in the low 40's with some wind. I got in 5 miles in a bit under 47:30 for a 9:28 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                              3 mile tempo run in 24.08 so I'll say 8:00 pace. I was working on my form tonight I need to work on my core control and my posture. It seemed to work because it was a pretty good effort overall. Way to use the warm weather Derrick. 20 miler during the week is pretty tough I would think. Hope everyone stays healthy or heals quickly

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Tramps, don't knock it... still impressive, nice downhill part or not! Twocat, I'd love to peruse eBay for a treadmill (well, before I got mine), but since the buyer typically pays for shipping it'd kill me here... Bill, hope you keep getting better, ease back into it. Nice run though, hacking or not. Hey, my day is just getting stranger by the minute. We had a 2 our video/audio conference from 10 to noon today, and 10 minutes into it, our power goes out! So, we move to audio only and all crowd around a phone in a large office. Meeting goes till 12:30, still no power. Keep getting told "10 more minutes" but then by 1 pm they release us to go home (yeah!!). So, I get in my poor frozen car, which has been having problems lately (dh thought timing chain, just a lot of bad sounds... appt at the shop not till next month!!) and it makes a terrible whiney clackety noise. Roll eyes So I ease it on home... about 9 miles, and a mile or so from home, I lose the alternator/power steering and coolant system. Gotta get home... limp home and shut if off just before it really overheats. It's -19 out there... didn't want to walk home! Couldn't get it in the garage, but that's ok, it's in a pretty good "towing" spot now. Oh well, I'm home, letting lunch settle then I'll get my run in early... downstairs on the TM, of course.