Masters Running

Thurs Feb 7 Daily Runs (Read 572 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hopeful - those dogs are so cute! What kind are they? I didn't think of it before, but how do moose and other critters survive in those temps outside?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hopeful - those dogs are so cute! What kind are they? I didn't think of it before, but how do moose and other critters survive in those temps outside?
      Thanks Holly - They are Wirehaired Pointing Griffons.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

jtv, it's good to hear from you. SteveP, my wife and I liked your cat and mouse story. We have two cats that must be related to yours. If we get a mouse in the house, they're interested, but have never killed one. On a couple of occasions, they've caught one but played with it, let it go, caught it again, and played with it some more. Nice long runs for breger (with negative splits), perch (with hills and a fast finish), CNY and Holly (a couple of neat runs together), Peter, WRFB, and rbb. This morning, we had an honest foot of new snow so I didn't feel guilty about doing the TM. 8 miles at 1% and 6.7 mph (8:57 pace). Then, I read that hopeful went out and ran in the same stuff and now I do feel guilty. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          jtv, yes, good to see you posting here. Peter NC -- that story about the cat was oh so very sad. Says something about you that you cared enough to bury it. Smile Hopeful - those dogs are adorable. Gah, I want a third dog too... Ribs - safe travels home. 8 mile run with MP intervals planned for later today. Supposed to cover a late afternoon deposition that I am hoping with be canceled along with my a.m. one so I can get it in .... I hate it when work interferes with the important stuff. Smile The case trial date is being bumped from early March, which also means my worries about missing a relay in Arizona are gone. Whew.
          BTY

Thufferin' Thuckatasch! A Giant Mouse! Felt good to kick up the heels a little today. Did 6 miles in 54:00; considering 1st and last were at 10:00 wu/cd pace, middle 4 were at 8:30, about 1:00 - 1:30 per mile faster than I've been running this winter. Looking forward to a nice easy 3 miler tomorrow. Finished up with push ups. Trying to stick with the strength regimen following running. Probably should stretch some, too, but too much of a slug. This avatar is a picture of my Irish great grandfather, who looks to have been more thug than slug.
            wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, your dogs are sweet! But I don't wish I had a third dog - two are enough! I'll try to post a pic of my two four-legged running buddies. It's warm and windy again today. I just hate running into the wind, so I was considering taking a bus, and getting off five miles upwind and running back to the office. Anyone ever done this? I guess I could also run five miles downwind, then either call someone for a ride, or take a bus back, but then I might get chilled while I was waiting.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

It's warm and windy again today. I just hate running into the wind, so I was considering taking a bus, and getting off five miles upwind and running back to the office. Anyone ever done this? I guess I could also run five miles downwind, then either call someone for a ride, or take a bus back, but then I might get chilled while I was waiting.
                I did this last year. I had my daughter drive me 4 miles from home so I could run with the wind and go wee, wee, wee, wee all the way home . . . . .

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

SteveP

I just hate running into the wind, so I was considering taking a bus, and getting off five miles upwind and running back to the office. Anyone ever done this?.
                  We're runners...What ever we do, does not have to make sense to others.

SteveP

GreenMan

Ice bath, Miilbot says 50* is cool enough for 5-10 min In the 35-40* range I have to take recovery breaks I'm a believer. 25min on elliptical on the dirt... 6x800m @ <10k pace (7:50-8:15) actual with 400m recoveries 9 miles total plus wu/cd walk have a good day. jjj pace="" (7:50-8:15)="" actual="" with="" 400m="" recoveries="" 9="" miles="" total="" plus="" wu/cd="" walk="" have="" a="" good="" day.="" jjj=""></10k pace (7:50-8:15) actual with 400m recoveries 9 miles total plus wu/cd walk have a good day. jjj >
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                    evanflein

Moose Update: Just talked to my neighbor, she's got her husband home from the hospital and he's going to be ok... very battered and bruised, possible cracked ribs, but home and resting with pain pills. He was out with the dog, heard some branches snapping behind him, turned and was hit full force by a huge cow moose. She had her head down and just charged him, ran him over and took off. Amazing... he made it back to the house and called his wife, who had just gotten to work and she turned around and came back home and had to really convince him to go get checked out. This sort of thing always sticks in my mind... I've been chased by moose by the hay shed when I had horses... these critters are huge and powerful. He's really lucky to not be seriously hurt. So now I really have a reason not to go out early morning/late night dark running!! Holly, the native critters are all adapted to these temps. My horses even did surprisingly well in it, but they do eat and drink a lot to keep their furnaces going! Sad story in the paper awhile ago about a cat who was missing from home for a couple of weeks, was found trying to keep warm under someone's vehicle. She survived, but is missing her ears, most of her tail and her two front feet were amputated. Those little house pets don't stand much of a chance. BTY... your great grandfather was a ginger tabby cat? Confused
                      TammyinGP

wow Erika - that's quite the moose story! I'm glad your neighbor is okay, well relatively okay I guess - as much as one can be after being hit by a moose! Dang - those creatures are gargantuan! let's see, wildlife stories . . . . late last night, we had a possum in our yard, Our dogs saw something and ran at it. But by the time the dogs got to him, he was playing 'possum' - and they just sniffed him and moved along. . . . good thing these aren't hunting dogs or I'd be sorely disappointed in them. Confused

Tammy

BTY

BTY... your great grandfather was a ginger tabby cat? Confused
                          Really? Is everyone esle seeing Leo too? You should see what I see...shouldn't you? A circa 1850's picture of an Irish-American horsethief turned railroad worker. Confused

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ice bath, Miilbot says 50* is cool enough for 5-10 min In the 35-40* range I have to take recovery breaks I'm a believer. 25min on elliptical on the dirt... 6x800m @ <10k pace="" (7:50-8:15)="" actual="" with="" 400m="" recoveries="" 9="" miles="" total="" plus="" wu/cd="" walk="" have="" a="" good="" day.=""></10k>
                            So do you think plain water without ice is cold enough??? Water out of the tap right now seems really cold compared to summer. I'm hoping to get used to the ice baths, especially after harder runs. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

munchkn883

Short walk (2.5 miles) pushing GD this afternoon. The weather was wonderful! Waiting for a call back from the Oncologist with my tumor marker level.
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, scary moose story. We don't have moose around here, just black bears and mountain lions! At least the bears are hibernating this time of year. I don't run in the dark, partly because of the wild critters and partly just because I'm a wuss. Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.