Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 10.11.14 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Mike, it always surprises me to be reminded of how much my workouts and races define me. DW never wants me to go too long without a workout because it has adverse effects on my mood. And I always want to have a race on my schedule, even if it is months away, so I'll have a good focal point. As others have suggested, get a race on your calendar, any race, and you'll feel better.

I'm envious of those in the West Coast 5K meet-up! Have fun - take pictures!

I did an E-Z, P-Z, measly 3.8 RW miles this morning. It was a cool (44F), overcast, brooding kind of morning, but it was still good to be out there. I just wanted to get in a few miles to stay loose, and I accomplished that. We've got a full day of chores planned, so I'm going to get at it.

Best wishes to this weekend's racers (including those who are not on the roster):

10/11 tetsujin - Denali Dash 5K (Redmond, WA) - barefoot

10/11 pfriese - Trinity 5K, Yukon OK
    10/12 Fatozzig - Dick Collins Firetrails 50, Lake Chabot, CA

10/12 deez4boyz - BAA 1/2 Marathon

10/12 Marj - BAA half marathon

10/12 IBleedUnionBlue - Dayton River Corridor Classic, Dayton, OH

10/12 irishguy - LBI 18 Mile Run, NJ

10/12 Ileneforward - Long Beach Marathon, LB CA

10/12 Coastwalker - Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good luck to the racer!!!

Lazy morning  here. I have all day to run, so I will go out when it gets warmer.

Meanwhile I am baking a cake for my girlfriend  Emma's  first birthday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Go get 'em racers.

My running crew and I did XC workouts today as race season starts tomorrow. 5k warm up with 5x1k <4min and 5 k cool down. It was about 40 degrees and a great time. Now my legs are sore and its off to soccer. Can't watch Patrick race county's today since soccer is on opposite side of the county. Bummed but I'm sure he'll do well.

Chores later.

Have a fun Saturday.

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

..mornin' guys//...........jay has a GoodPoint........I skipped work-outs this week and felt like a Slob....

in my defense,

I was signing up for MedicareA,,,,,,,and Pickles wanted me to sign up for MedicareB but keep her insurance

luckily

there is a Medicare DumA$$ Department who contacted me and said I couldn't do that

a few tense days later

we got that cleared up............funny how you just DON'T feel like working out under NitPickConditions

=========

..but I digress

..32mprnb

deo

..............bikeride tomorrow............YOWZA/////////

...........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Saw the great Lake Chelan pics Mariposai.  Glad you are having fun.

Tomorrow's that Alaskan chick's birthday so I am headed out to shop now.  I think she likes wine!

Today was supposed to be 5-6 miles just to get my week's quota, then 14 or so tomorrow to get 20 for the weekend, but the weirdest thing happened. I got up okay and leaning over to tie my shoes I felt very lightheaded, dizzy.  I didn't think anything of it, sort of like when you get up too fast, but it happened a couple of more times, and then I vomited.  So I lay down for about an hour, then got up and made myself an egg and toast and now I feel fine.  So I'm going to go out to the Park and run with the Saint in a few minutes, rather than go to the Lake as we were planning to do originally.  I have no idea what was the matter with me, but it seems to have gone away now.

Yesterday I went for my six month follow-up visit following my prostate cancer surgery.  The basic idea is that they just take your blood and check the PSA level and as expected, it was undetectable (the PSA, not my blood), so that was expected but good news.

Chilly day here after big storms last night, low 60's for my run.  Spareribs

Great news on the check-up Ribs even if expected. I hope the light-headedness episode was just some weird fluke. yikes---be well.

Super-granny is back at her apartment on the memory care floor. I was there when the PT from her insurance co. came by to assess her furniture and whether we need to switch anything out. I had to laugh.....the PT had granny sit in a chair and then instructed her how to grip each arm rest and gently lift herself up and then transfer to a walker. Granny would have none of that and just pushed up with her legs and then put her hands on the arm rests and then pushed off again and got her walker. Oh dear! Six weeks from her 104th birthday (and just a month after hip surgery), she is living up to her SG moniker. Time to prepare the 105+ age group medals.

Ran 9.6 miles this morning---drizzle turning to rain and the middle three miles at 7:30 pace (flat bike path section).  Lots of friends and teammates were running the Hartford Half or Full marathon while I was trotting along at home. Lot of PRs as the results start rolling out.

Nice XC workouts C-R and kiddo.

Sun breaking through now and supposedly for rest of weekend. hurray.

Ciao for now

Spareribs I did not want to comment on your PSA test until you knew the results.  Excellent news!!  Congratulations!  As to your morning you might just have had a simple case of food poisoning.  That would at least be consistent with how fast you recovered after tossing your cookies.

tetsujin209 I love those 5k tips!  Just hilarious!  I second what evanflein wrote, do they realize it is a 5 and not a 50k?

tomwhite my favorite activity; navigating government rules and regulations!  I am glad you managed to get an answer and your medicare straightened out.

This morning it was raining as forecast.  So my nefarious plan to move my long run from today to tomorrow continues on track.  That assumes tomorrow's forecast for sun holds up!  That meant today was an elliptical day.

In a pleasant surprise this afternoon a local troop of wild suburban turkeys were perched on our deck.  I went out to feed them, but none "recognized" me and they all ran away.  Generally, one or two remember they got fed at my place and hang around for the seed.  When they run back to the house to the eat the others follow.  One or two rounds of this and they all hang out to get fed.  With all of them running away, this process could take a few more visits by them.  What a bunch of bird brains they are!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I've been away for a few days, visiting my mother, sister, and brother in law.  Tammy, your son had a great meet last Sat, winning by 30 seconds.  CNY, congrats to your son on his student manager position.  Holly, sorry to hear your knee acted up.  I hope you didn't push it too hard.  deez, my thoughts are with your friend's premature grand daughter.  CNY, I love hearing how well Super Granny is doing.

Nice long runs for Twocat. CNY, and Holly.  Good job on the speedwork for ribs and The Saint and C-R.

While visiting my sister, I got in a 5 mile run at an 11:54 pace.  This morning, I got in 5 miles at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Checking in to say that I am back from 6 miles with the Saint and I feel fine, just as if nothing had happened.  Very puzzling. But so glad to get the miles in, because I had laid out the whole week, which ends on Saturday, to do this distance and to make Sunday's LR a bit better, so I am happy that's behind me.  I hadn't considered food poisoning Twocat.  We got sandwiches last night at Jersey Mike's which we often do on Fridays.  Wonder if that was the cause.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay for Super Granny!  Love the idea of a 105+ age group medal!

Here's a picture of me, Liz, and Lori at the Stone House triple cross trail race.  There were 6 knee-deep creek crossings, which were fun!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Dang people. Good running today.

Patrick's team won county today and he finished 15th. That's the first time his school swept county and state since 1987. That's a talented group of kids. Who are now celebrating with burgers and shakes.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

No run today - will make up for it tomorrow

TW - it took us about 4 months to get the medical bills straightened out after I retired and went on Medicare - good luck!

Ribs - hope it's just a fluke - listen to your body

Yeah - to SuperGranny - we should all be so healthy.  We were talking to a 90 yo man in our neighborhood, who's main complaint is loneliness.  Also, he can now only walk 1.5 miles, not the 3 miles he did last year

Coastwalker - good luck tomorrow - we ran that race once and enjoyed it alot.

WC - jealous of you seeing Liz - it's been awhile since she came to Boston

Nice runs for tselbs, holly, c-r, Twocat

shout out to anyone i missed!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Spareribs  As to your morning you might just have had a simple case of food poisoning.  That would at least be consistent with how fast you recovered after tossing your cookies.

Since you are the cook in the house, I am relieved that you went out to eat last night.....

Karin - that Super Granny is amazing!

(((TomWhite)))

C-R - well done for DS and his team!

Carolyn - great pic!

Mostly lots of errands for us today as we pick up items for our vacation, including biodegradable sunscreen for our trip to Xcaret

4 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Even though I haven’t done either of them since then, there’s two races over the years that come out of the memory bank once a years, (1) Fall Equinox Saturday for the 1991 running I got into during a fortuitous trip through erika-land 23 years ago and the October full moon weekend from 1987 when I ran met my 83-yo Ironman mentor Dr. Feman at the then 10th running of the Ironman Hawaii. 
                              It was my one-and-only time but he’s been going back almost ever year since, winning his AG more than ten times.  Sidelined this year with by aches and pains from when his car got rammed in August and totaled, we nevertheless ran a popular 5K near Seattle today where his lingering after effects let me beat him for the second time (albeit by less than a minute) in all the many races from 5K to IM we’ve done together in the last 27 years. The first time was right after the accident at the Labor Day Half Marathon.
                              Dr. Feman had long finished the 240.6 total miles back in 1987 but, as I was petering out on the marathon in the middle of the Kona lava fields after the 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike and telling a 57 year old runner how I barely made the swim cut-off by less than a minute, she tried to advise me of the value of training the helped her move up from her previous year’s swim DQ to an hour-to-spare this year.  Needless to say, I wasn’t going to have anything to do with it and haven’t been back since then.  However, now at age 84, the IM live results report she made the swim cutoff by two minutes this year and is ahead schedule for the bike cutoff in six or seven hours.  Go Sister Madonna!

ps ribs - sometimes that can happen depending on who's in front of you when you look up too fast.  <<<(saint/saint)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet--I just have to say, you are amazing.

Well, there's nothing better to help dig you out of a funk than running with the high shool cross country kids.  They are the nicest, politest, most appreciative kids I've ever been around.  I've mostly been working with the top girls runner...a 7th grader...who just took 3rd at Conference, last Thursday.  Of course...my left knee isn't real happy wiith me...but it was worth it.

I finished my sermon last night...I'm a little afraid to give it though...I go on a little bit of a rant about how we treat the pastor and each other.  I'm more concerned about embarrassing the pastor than anything.  I just think we need to hear it and, the mood I'm in...I really don't care who I tick off.  The rant is at the end so I can leave it out if I chicken out.

Okay...I guess I don't have anything else to say.  See ya!