Masters Running

Fri Sept 12 (Read 461 times)

I love reading tramps' and dark horse's serious posts. If I was as erudite, I would say something sage. But I'm not. Suffice it to say I think if this site were just about running I would not be here. Regarding running: I took the day off of work today to brew beer, so PDR and my schedules were completely out of sync. She woke up at 4am and I woke up at 6:15. So she ran while I slept (yes I did get finally get to talking about running), and I ran after she went to work. This was a bit nonstandard, but I can accept it. Did I mention that I'm not at work today? 3 or so recovery miles at 9:07 pace, AHR 136 My brother and sister are coming to town this weekend, which is one of the reasons I took off from work today rather than brew tomorrow. This should be a good reunion -- with my brother in California haven't been together much -- I guess last time was a year ago for dawndaughter1's wedding. I'll be taking Monday and Tuesday off too. My brother has convinced me to try rock climbing, and I took a lesson in how to belay, and will get to practice with him on those days, among other things.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

What I am amazed at in my life is how almost everyone I meet has a wrong opinion about something. It is tiring trying to correct everyone so normally I don't try. Big grin
      Thanks, Dave! You're just the opposite of my mom - she tries to correct everyone. I love her but am glad she lives 2000 miles away. Tongue Tramps, Spareribs has said it before - you really are an excellent writer. Thanks for your post. I suspect we agree on many things. Hey, where's Holly today? Did we drive her away too?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tim- I think we can all be proud of the fact that you feel safe enough to post your nonrunning thoughts on the daily. I do it all the time, and have found it good to reach out to others even if it is just for a sympathetic ear and for people to nod and say I can feel for you. Spareribs- great news that you have been cleared to run, can't wait to read your running posts (just please please please no weather reports). Tongue When I logged on today my running log came up. I saw one sad giant green bar as even when I have run recently I have not been posting. Time to get my butt moving. Expect multiple runs and posts from me this weekend.
        dg.

hi everybody. Doug... (thanks for the nice shout out the other day. have been slow in getting back to you).. I saw Tim at the Farmer's Market a couple of weeks ago & he told me about the race. When I was done shopping (that place makes me happy) I headed back to his table to sign up.... except they couldn't take money there. So I had time to think about it. In a lot of ways this would be the perfect race for me. Still, there are a couple of concerns. Long way of saying I'm probably not going to run it, but still have it in the back of my mind that I could sign up just before the race. I also meant to say I ran into Markguy at Gallup park a couple of weeks ago. That was a nice surprise! I thought maybe we could find a way to meet up in Detroit..nothing formal, very low key... at least we could exchange cell phone numbers ahead of time. You did say you'd be there, didn't you? Then we could all ambush Mary & Larry Big grin. (TomS, will you be there?) One more thing... wtg on your anticipation run. Since you are sore... please think seriously about whether running Saturday, even just for fun, is a good idea. Do a risk benefit analysis. Maybe you'd be fine, you know better than I do. (er... wasn't that profound. Embarrassed )Just be careful. i'm having my own battle (with myself) right now about what to do & when. more to say but I'm out of time! but had to add "I love reading tramps' and dark horse's serious posts.". me too.
          TammyinGP

Dark Horse - we, too, have had a bat in our house recently. In fact, we've ended up with two of them (not at the same time) over the course of a month or so. One my DH was able to get to fly out a door, and the other made an appearance while we were in San Fran over Labor Day weekend and my 74 yr old MIL was staying at our house. Needless to say, she was not successful at getting it to leave the house. She tried beating it with a broom, but it just flew behind my computer desk and stayed there. We got home the next day and it was still upstairs. This one was a bit more aggressive and actually tried biting at my DH when he was attempting to get it out from behind our bed headboard by covering it with a towel to release it. My husband ended up killing that one. We were concerned as there had been some reports of rabid bats in our county this summer. We are not quite sure how they got into our house either. My MIL assured me she did not leave any doors open in the evening. My only thought is it somehow got into our attic and then came through the attic into the upstairs through some ceiling recessed lighting we have. That's the only thing that makes any sense. Rest day for me today. I have a race in the a.m. John2635 (or Johnny), is running the 5K and I'm running the 10K. My PR is 55:17, which I set on this same course last year. I'm not sure I can beat it though. Not in as good of running shape as I was at this time last year. And the course has a couple hills that slow one down a bit.

Tammy

evanflein

I posted an article from the Anchorage Daily News as a separate thread. Poor Sarah, some of the answers she gave in that interview were just embarrassing (IMO). Tramps I really liked your post. Comparing those political sites to the equivalent of a food fight was right on. Dark Horse, I'm so glad you're posting again! Love the story of the bat and Neptune the wonder cat (oh, and Sgt Comargo, too!!). And also glad to here you and Bucking Bronco collaborated on the project! Bats are something I don't have to worry about here much... Spareribs... it's always about you. We all know that. You crack me up. And good job on the jogging, you poster boy of heart surgery recovery, you! Mary, as much as I hate running in the rain, I'm gonna say go for it unless it's torrential, as others have said. I stood at the top of my porch stairs several weeks ago, looking at the rain, thinking of the 18 miles I had to do... And finally just went for it. The rain wasn't too heavy, and actually stopped as I got to the bottom of the hills. The remaining 15 miles were warm and steamy, so be sure to dress in layers or arrange for a drop off somewhere for stuff you don't need. And don't worry about yesterday. I thought it was funny, too. Karin's taking a rest day? Hmmm, thought it felt odd today. Sort of a "disturbance in the force" feeling. Hope it's restful, as it should be... We had rain all night and it's still raining. I guess that's ok, we were getting pretty dry around here. But I want it to stop this weekend, and then be pretty dry next week. After Saturday afternoon, it can rain or snow all it wants, I don't care! I brought my gym bag to work with me, but have errands to run at lunchtime and the kids have the Homecoming Game tonight with arch rivals (and my alma mater) West Valley Wolfpack (ooooh sounds fierce, no?), then a big bonfire party till midnight. DS1 wants to drive my car... Ha! Fat chance.
                What I am amazed at in my life is how almost everyone I meet has a wrong opinion about something. It is tiring trying to correct everyone so normally I don't try. Big grin
                Dear God (insert higher power of your choice), Please help me to be more respectful and tolerant to the opinions of others.....wrong and stupid as they may be. I may regret this........ Big grin
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild wrote:
                  Hey, where's Holly today? Did we drive her away too?
                  Hey, SOMEBODY has to get some work done around here, and it’s taken me this long to get caught up from yesterday, whilst still keeping up the appearance of working... re: Yesterday’s thread. Many good points all around. Given my considerable number of off topic posts, I’m sure you could have guessed that I think this place would be pretty boring if all we talked about was running ....today I ran blah blah miles at blah blah pace, and my (insert body part here) was giving me trouble again, blah, blah.... I agree that politics and religion are dangerous territory, but I tend to scan over the posts that I don’t agree with, not particularly offended by them, although sometimes I do (sigh). Tim – my heart goes out to those folks at your plant. On a similar note, the new legal secretary in my office who is in the hospital right now, incurring catastrophic medical bills with no insurance, will also find that she has lost her new job, as the attorney has no patience with illness in a new employee. (sigh) Sad DickyG – prolly not much consolation, but you’re WAY faster than me....Big grin Tammy – how did you get those lovely colors in your log? Mine are BORING and I’d love to brighten things up. Dg – if you do run the race, even just as a fun run, be sure to tell us about it. Dark Horse – I often listen to audio books during my LRs, and my current selection is a Lee Child novel, Bad Luck and Trouble. I don’t know if you are familiar with Child (you are probably WAY too literate for this stuff), but somehow I quite picture you as his protagonist, Jack Reacher, even though I know you are probably actually nothing like him (prolly just because he's a really tall, ex-military guy). Smile
                  I took the day off of work today to brew beer,
                  Oh, this is just the best line of the day...Big grin Do you have to bring a note to work, from PDR? (Please excuse Lou from work today, he had to brew beer...) Big grin No run for me today, just the usual 30-minute weights and abs workout. Picture day for DD at school, so we went through several wardrobe changes and elaborate hair-dos before she was satisfied. Jeesh, she’s only SIX and we’re going through this.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

The remaining 15 miles were warm and steamy, so be sure to dress in layers or arrange for a drop off somewhere for stuff you don't need.
                    Or she could pull a Carolyn move, and run topless Big grin....sorry, couldn't resist Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Holly, when you go into your options, you can click on your running log preferences, and then types of workouts, one of which will be running. In your running log preferences, you'll see a list of the different types of runs you've created - long, TM, speedwork, tempos, etc. along with the color code next to it. Just click on the color and it'll bring up a palette of various colors and you can pick a new one. I feel bad for your coworker and losing her job. We have also incurred some major medical debt with my DH's recent surgery, plus he had some major dental work done a few wks before that. Fortunately, since DH is his own boss, he can't fire himself for missing so much work, but he can just complain about how he doesn't get paid enough to afford good health insurance, so we had to settle for a low end policy with a huge deductible.

Tammy

evanflein

And as much as employers grumble about it, that's the value of the Family Medical Leave laws... However in Holly's co-worker's case sounds like she hasn't met the length-of-employment requirements. We have very generous leave policies here, and can't imagine that some employers fire workers for being sick, or needing to care for sick family members... but I understand that it happens a lot in the private sector, and especially farm/manufacturing jobs. (oops, sorry for the work-related totally off topic post... couldn't resist)
                        Tramps

Oh, this is just the best line of the day...Big grin Do you have to bring a note to work, from PDR? (Please excuse Lou from work today, he had to brew beer...) Big grin
                          Actually WRFB's co-workers think he is about to get divorced any day now. He keeps telling his boss, " I need the day off to take care of a little brew-ha-ha at home."

Be safe. Be kind.

nowor

Usually just a daily reader, but today I had a thrill. Running along the Charles near Harvard I saw a gray haired woman approaching. Since I rarely see a woman who looks like me running I smiled broadly and noted that she was small and definately leaning forward. The runner nodded at me just as I realized that Joanie Benoit Samuelson and I were on the same bike path at the same time, though not at the same pace!! One of my heros. After watching the Olympic trials last spring it was easy to recognize her.
                              Oh, this is just the best line of the day...Big grin Do you have to bring a note to work, from PDR? (Please excuse Lou from work today, he had to brew beer...) Big grin
                              Actually WRFB's co-workers think he is about to get divorced any day now. He keeps telling his boss, " I need the day off to take care of a little brew-ha-ha at home."
                              I fessed up to the the group I'm working with about the beer. This was just before I told my boss I couldn't travel in the next three weeks because of the marathon I'll be running. Not to speak about politics, but maybe I need some training in that area. Wink

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

DickyG

Health care discussion? Don't get me started. Prior to my 65th birthday, my employer paid all of my med expenses plus some dental. Now that I'm on Medicare, I'm paying...not all that much mind you...but about $215/month. Usually folks that "graduate" to Medicare breathe a sigh of relief...opposite in my case. Dave59:
                                What I am amazed at in my life is how almost everyone I meet has a wrong opinion about something. It is tiring trying to correct everyone so normally I don't try.
                                Reminds me of the guy who said "I'm always right...I thought I was wrong once but I was wrong." Holly:
                                Do you have to bring a note to work, from PDR? (Please excuse Lou from work today, he had to brew beer...)
                                Now THAT is definately the Don Rickles line of the day! DickyG