Masters Running

Eugene 2008 - A Race Report, many Pictures, and "What the heck happened to Byll?" (Read 545 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . might be considered a downer by some. the way I ran the race was a downer for me. I hope this isn’t a big downer to read.
    sorry but tryin' to say anything about eugene or bein'/running there is a downer's gunna work about as well as Tommy McCall sayin' to stay away. see you next year. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

huskydon

Bill, As all of us runners know, some races don't work out the way we plan. That's just the way it is, I guess. No, your report wasn't a downer, but a fair and thoughtful assessment of your race. Qualifying for Boston is not easy and that is by design. When you do finally qualify, it will be that much more a sweet victory for you. And all of us will be thrilled as well. Great report. I learned a lot as well. Wonderful pic's. Thanks for sharing. huskydon
      arf

MM #405

You know what Bill? I just gotta say that some days you feel like your flying.. the running is effortless, you know? And some days you just feel like a %$#@#$ing slug! I hate those days! Angry I just want to say congrats on the race and I LOVE the pic of you and your beautiful wife running the last .2 together! Sounds like you both had a great weekend together, meeting new friends with lots of laughter and fun! Re: getting back on the marathon horse, I would say that yes....it is almost a given that once you've forgotten the pain, the desire to do it again will burn deep inside you...Smile arf P.S. Thanks for the great photo's, and have a ball drinking those pina colada's Big grin
        btb1490

Bill, you gave it your best shot. That's what matters. Sometimes it works, but in marathoning, more often than not, it doesn't. So you pick up where you left off, taking what you've learned, and try it again, and again, and again... till you get it right. What else better do you have to do anyway? Wink I'm with JJJ on the heartrate question, perhaps hydration was the culprit. Being cooler than you were used to, maybe you were tricked into thinking you didn't need to drink as much? Overall, a great weekend for you, that's what counts. Thanks for the great report and pictures. Looking forward to your next journey.
            Bill: Thanks for this report. GREAT detail......something for runners of ever level to learn from. I have watched with admiration, the dedication and consistency with which you run. While this race did not turn out the way that you might have wished, it was a great experience. The pictures explain the high HR (ahem), starting with your DW. You are a sharp looking couple Hopefully your trip away was good and I am sure you will soon be back looking at what your next running goal will be. Thanks for the report. Joey
            Vista
              Bill, Thanks for the honesty in this report! I have been learning from everyone here and as I used to tell my wrestling team "You learn more from a loss than a win" I truly believe you have your Boston in the bag next time out. Your training is just to good to be denied again. I also wonder how much the long travel and new people and places might have affected your day? I know with me I have my routine ,especialy for long runs, as far as hydration the day before as well as the day of and my fueling( gotta have my super oatmeal) Sleep and everything that makes for a good day on the roads. Even the time of day being that you are a east coaster and the time difference in Oregon. At any rate congratulations on a good marathon. I would be very happy with your time . I know there is some dissapointment after all your training but you did what you could on that day and in my book thats all that matters. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Bill, you've got nothing to be sorry about. You're doing things that many of us on this forum (not to mention 1000s of other runners) can only dream of. Your best years of running are still ahead of you and I'm sure that you will meet the goals that you just happened to miss this year. Congratulations on gutting out a tough race, and thanks for the excellent RR. (By the way, not a downer to read since most of us have "been there, done that!")

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

You had a great race Bill,don't knock yourself down... Have a good time in Maui...
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                    Bill, This is such a wonderfully written report and the photos are marvelous. You and your wife are a striking couple and the hand in hand picture is my favorite. It sounds like you have already zeroed in on what didn't go as planned. I hope the waves of Maui and the pina coladas (and maybe even surfing?) will ease some of the disappointment you feel. You are a smart and strong runner. Your training is right on and your devotion to all the early morning solo miles is nothing short of impressive. Congratulations for making it through the toughest miles and staying determined to the end. The mental bonk can be worse than the physical one in some ways. I have torn off many a pace band after falling off a pace---once even staying on 3:18 pace until 19 miles only to finish with a 4:16. Come back to wrestle the dragon and I'm guessing we'll see you and cheer for you in Boston (and in other places around the world). Be well Bill. with admiration, Karin
                      Then it was that heavy green wristband weighing you down, I'm sure. Wink Sarge! Marionberries are great! They are named for Marion County, where they were first grown, I believe. A cross between blackberries & raspberries. Yum -- they are excellent!
                      spacityrunner

Thanks for the great report and pictures. You trained right for this and you have learned much. Can't wait to see what's next on your list of things to do. Have a great time in Maui.

Trails Rock!

Not a downer at all--so many smiles in the photos (ok, and points for bravery for posting the bonk one!) and you seemed to have a good time, in spite of dashed plans--shows your priorities are in good shape. Yes, I'm not from Oregon and only have been there a few times, but the scenic shots made me "miss" the shore! (Being out here on the plains, I just miss shore lines--lake, ocean, any water spots--heck I miss Jamaica Pond!) I'm going to Maui Cool sometime in the future, so I'll be really interested in that report, too! Maybe next time, try running your first 2 miles slower--you need to run 8:30s for a 3:45, so take the first 2 miles in 9:00. Maybe the next 2 in 8:45. That puts you just 1.5 minutes behind your race pace. SInce you can BQ with a 3:34:59, really only 30 seconds back, and you seem to have a strong finishing kick. Oh, and as for the heartrate, wouldn't just the excitement of the race and meeting everyone, etc., tend to pump it up? Confused Are marionberries like elderberries? roch, anyone else know? (See roch, we're good again!) Have a fantastic R&R--be sure to return! grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          PJH

Bill - I know I commented on your earlier post, but just had to pop back in again. Enjoyed your RR and pics. I'm glad you took away the happier moments from your marathon too, although it's wise to stand back and analyze what happened. I was amazed at how similar our profiles actually are and how similar your marathon experience mirrored my Boston experience. Good training, poor race day (you knew it early), hydration issues, bonking issues , pacing issues, overall somewhat disappointed for not meeting expectations. In Boston, my HR got to 160 by mile 3. Like you, I normally run at 140 and maybe 150 on marathon days. But 160??? By mile 13 I was up to 169 which is 95% of my 177 max. I knew the end was near. Happened about mile 16 for me too. In hindsight and after doing some searching/thinking, I'm convinced that my problem was dehydration. Not just during the race, but the fact that I was dehydrated going into the race. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the high HR so early. The high temps and everything else just compounded the problem. I actually thought I was hydrating well, especially during the first half. Tells you how much I know. Btm noticed the white salt marks on my clothing at about mile 16, indicating that I was too late. I do tend to sweat a lot which compounds the problem. You may recall that I had 2.5 bags of saline solution pumped back into me at the end of the race which tells you just how dehydrated I was. Btm sent me an interesting article post-race on dehyration. It explained things well for me. Thought I'd pass it along to you. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/dehydration.shtml For me anyway, hydration will take on greater importance if there's a next time. One final thought about hydration that I don't have the answer for was the use of gels. I took one before starting and every 4 miles after that (through the first half) with just a little gatorade (no water) to wash them down. I was told afterwards by a knowledgeable runner that without taking in water, the body will just use whatever water you have to break down the gels. Sort of compounds the problem if this is true. Checking further on that one. I apologize for going on here. Anyway, you will have that "killer race" soon, Bill. Continued good running! PJ
                              Thanks for the various replies everyone. To Aamos for giving me extra points for showing that Bonk photo ... yeah, I thought long and hard about whether I was wanting anyone to see that one. But finally thought "What the heck. Maybe it'll help drive home the point that you do not want to bonk!". And Aamos, about the recommendations of how to start a race pace-wise. That's what I intended to do if I'd run by myself. Stupid me. Dtoce is probably not talking to me anymore because I didn't follow his suggestions - and I had specifically asked him about this very thing! Did I mention Stupid me? I have always noticed that once the HR gets up to a level, it really takes a major slowdown to back the HR back down. It sorta wants to stay where it is if that makes any sense. So early easy pacing is key to get the HR up really slowly. Many of you have mentioned hydration and/or nutrition. I really doubt that was it. Remember where I live and train and this was run in Oregon. Even though it was cool (to me) I was sure to drink at almost every water stop and I took in the exact same numbers of GUs and Lyte-n-Go tablets that I always take. It was a while till I had to "go" afterward though. About the only other thing that comes to mind is that I was extremely nervous going into this race. I knew I had a shot but I knew it was nowhere near a given. So I knew it was probably going to hurt bigtime, somewhere along the way. Maybe the nerves and excitement had my HR elevated too much before I even got to the start line. You know the other ironic thing is that if I ever do get to run Boston, it'll likely be ugly! I'm a flatlander and that course will eat me alive. Heck, I wasn't overly fond of the one hill at Eugene at mile 7. The Erika's, Holly's, and Boston area runners would call it wimpy! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Thanks for posting those splits. Well, CNYrunner said 3:45 is a 8:30 pace and a lot of those early miles were under that, so I think that could partly explain why you tanked at mile 16. High HR too....wonder what the deal was. I agree with everyone else... your report wasn't a downer. I think the wind really was head on from 15 to 20 miles too, just when it starts getting hard.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."