Masters Running

Monday March 2 Master Miles (Read 482 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!! Today is a scheduled rest day for me but I can't wait any longer for a runner to start the thread. Smile I did get in an anguishing 12 miles yesterday! It was SO cold outside with 15 mph wind coming straight out of the North. Plus, I got lost in a trailer park ..... I needed to tack on .25 mile so I thought I'd just cut through the park and come out on the other side street. Half a mile later I finally cut through an open spot to get to the road - geez! Who'd a thought a trailer park could be so consfusing! Happy Monday and thanks for all the kind words about my neighbor and her eating disorder.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good morning Hopeful Thanks for starting.....I was just getting ready too. More power to you on your 12 miles..........It was windy here too, and cold so I decided to go to the Y and use the treadmill. I got 12 miles in but it wasn't pretty. I did 6 miles and stopped to do a 10 min core workout.......got back on for 3 miles then another 10 min core workout and finished with 3.25 miles. Mentally I was exhausted. This morning I did equal times of swimming and wall hugging.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! March is certainly coming "in like a lion," but hopefully we'll see some milder temps before the end of the week. 3 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning, working my way through Season 1 of Lost (have I mentioned how much I love our library?), followed by lateral raises, reverse flies, front raises, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face down, bench dips, lunges, and stability ball crunches. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"older but not dead yet"

Just got back from doing 4 miles in blowing 19° driving snow. As I look out of my 16th floor window all I see is whiteness. Normally I can see New Jersey, looking clear across the northern part of the Bronx. Not today. And of course, the sections I want to run on aren't plowed, so the workout becomes a real workout. My quads will thank me later. They actually closed the schools! It was commonplace in the last few years that everywhere else in the world would be closed but the NYC public schools would be open, even if most of the teachers who live outside the city were themselves absent. Go figure! Alex (I got a bone to pick with Robert Frost - see the "interior monologue" thread at KR)
          Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It's white here in the Carolinas! Really pretty snow stuck to the trees and all. About 4 inches... which of course closed schools... so the roads were pretty much car free. 6 mi easy progression: 2 miles with Tory at 9:40 pace, 2 mi @ 8:25 and 2mi @8:02 Total 6 mi in 52:23 (8:44 pace AHR 154). 28F gusty winds and snow/ice roads.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Unseasonably warm here in Colorado. The high might be in the 50s today. The low at home is supposed to be lower than that. The snow is holding up okay so that's good. Skied all day yesterday and heading out now for another day. I ran 7.1 slow miles on the treadmill at 9600 feet elevation early this morning. I hate how slow I have to run up here. It felt like a Tempo run when I tried MP for 1/2 mile. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Yippee! No School today, due to a few lingering patches of the beautiful white stuff we got here in TN yesterday morning. So, I headed off to do my 3.5 and then when I got to the gym I realized I had forgotten my ipod....that's a crisis. Plus, it was really cold and really, really, windy. So, I got on the TM and did 3.5. I know, I'm a wimp. Then I swam a mile. I'm just proud to be able to get in both things on a Monday! Hopeful, 12 miles in yesterday's winds was tough. And getting lost to boot. You rock! Ok, March, you've proved the lioness in you....we're ready for the lamb!
                dg.

good morning! Mary, thanks for starting. I was waiting too. Scary getting lost like that... don't do that! Great job on your 12, though. I thought about you this morning when I heard the weather forecast. It's going to get even worse. I didn't say so before but meant to... it's very nice of you to be helping your neighbor. I hope for the best for her. Slo_hand... way to tough it out for you too. Happy Monday Holly Smile wow, Alex. I heard about NYC on the weather channel this morning. No time to go to KR right now. I was... pretty, I bet. Perch, how is Sadie? Byll, I hope you're having a good time. Twocat... thanks. I'm making a list. Erika, I am doing most of it in deep water, or at least deep enough not to touch the bottom. What hurts (I assume my hamstrings) is pulling my leg back. It hurts doing it even without resistence, & the water seems to make it worse. Some amount of it may be strengthening & safe .. I'll ask today. This morning I did 12 min. on the precor elliptical, ran 1 mile in 9:49, another 53 min. on the octane elliptical. ahr 164, max 174. 7 miles in 50:07, fwiw. probably not much! Then 2 sets of lower body weights, lat pulldowns, stretches. the end. back to work. I hope this turns out to be a good week for everyone. mta: (thanks Tom) I meant to say... Hi Doug! Smile. Tom... I glad you finished.
                    fussy, you did well with the same time in your race as last year in spite of though conditions. deez, it sounds like you had an enjoyable time at your race with friends. roch, it's nice to have a post from you and know you're getting in the miles. Nice long runs for Sarge, perch, Tammy, Evan, Peter (miserable conditions), Tramps (nasty weather), ribs and The Saint, lynden, PBJ, Franc, hallar, and hopeful. This morning, it was about 10° with some wind. I got in 8 miles in a little under 1:17 for a 9:36 pace. I don't know if consistency is good, but for the first seven miles, my slowest mile was 9:44 and fastest 9:39. The last mile, when I thought I was dying, I did in 9:05. I guess the desire to finish was stronger than the desire to die. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                    Mariposai

Back from a 5 magical days in Arizona where I ran the Ragnar del Sol relay, 204 miles, 12 runners, 2 non sleeping days and much, much fun. A race report of the "Sand y Sol Ragnar Team" has been started in kickrunners. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47770 Today, 5 deliciously slow miles in the freezing cold rain. Just to think that I was running in 80 degree weather just two days ago CryCry.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

The weather here is not as bad as in NYC or other parts of the country, but the wind is making it impossible to run outside. I had to cut yesterday's planned long run short after I realized that running into a 30 mph wind in 39 degree temps while completely drenched was not a good idea. My hands and feet were numb by the time I managed to make it through 10 miles. This morning, add in black ice and winds now gusting at 40 mph and it was a definite treadmill day. 8 miles on the TM at 8:13 pace. My right AT is sore so I am going to have to baby it this week - no fast running. Kids were on a two hour delay here and roads closed all over the place due to accidents and ice. Alex, I know you guys are getting pummeled in NY. Mary, that sounds like one tough run. Take care all.

Once a runner . . .

Tramps

Tough running day for lots of folks yesterday—Enke, fussy, Larry, Erika, Carolyn, Mary, Meg. Hang in there; there'll be better (and warmer) days. Francesca—a 72-mile week? Awesome. deez—your “race” sounded great; especially the pub part. Wink Kevin—did you ever make it into RIC? More importantly, did you ever make it out? For those of you who use Sport Tracks, did you notice the nice new feature that shows you the time on any stops you make on a run? Neat. I always wondered how long it took me to refill my water bottles on a long run. Now I know: 2:48 yesterday. That seems important since, for me, long runs are never without a break like that. Won’t have that luxury on race day, though. Spring has been officially delayed. We've got a good 8 inches of snow here, which is quite a bit for my neck of Virginia. Did a little cross-training getting things a bit cleaned up this morning but the wind is just howling out there, causing drifts. Power came back on just a little while ago, which is great. My road, though, is a mess and I’m giving myself the day off from running. Conditions are just too dicey out there to take any unnecessary risks. My plan had been for this to be a mild cutback week and then go into serious taper next week. This weather, though, may mean that my taper has already begun! That’s okay; I could use some healing time for all the little aches, twinges, and general tiredness. I feel like I pushed more this time (in a good way) and am ready to ease up. dg—for you, just in case. Tongue

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

The snow is not bad here in TX at all. I have been looking out the window regularly and so far have seen none. It's low 50's and sunny, so I suppose these storms will miss us. Holly, I see that on the days you used to take off, Mondays and Fridays, you are now getting in an easy 3-miler. This is so good for your conditioning. One day you may wish to comment on the difference in how you are feeling. I did 3.3 very slow recovery miles on the dirt, followed by a full stretching and core workout at the Y. Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

For those of you who use Sport Tracks, did you notice the nice new feature that shows you the time on any stops you make on a run? Neat. I always wondered how long it took me to refill my water bottles on a long run. Now I know: 2:48 yesterday. That seems important since, for me, long runs are never without a break like that. Won’t have that luxury on race day, though.
                              Good point. As you get toward the end of a long training cycle, one area to work on is shortening those water breaks. In races the clock keeps ticking. On our long runs when the Saint wants to take a bit more time I always say to her, "You know what Lydiard said '15 seconds, that's all.'" On our 12 mile runs, I bet we waste 2 full minutes or more at water stops. It's interesting how in RR's people will comment about not being comfortable drinking on the run. I suppose you can practice that too, pinching the cup etc. Spareribs
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tramps--I did make in (3:45am) with a 2-3 hour stop in Raleigh (that's on the way from Philly to Richmond, right?) when they closed RIC due to a broken down plow on the runway. And out--only a 3 hour drive (instead of 2). actually less snow out here than in Richmond. Of course with no section of sleep much more than 1/2 hour and not too many of those, i expect to be comatose very shortly. Of course it's supposed to be 70 on Friday, so quite a little change.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.