Masters Running

Back to work Tuesday, May 27 (Read 483 times)

dg.

Steve... now it makes sense. thanks! still a very nice run. Smile. I"ll be watching for your double... Hi Tramps! I'm so glad you're back.
      MERCY.....I am tired. For most of the night I kept having this reoccuring dream. I was supposed to play in this major basketball game (NOTE: I used to play basketball at various levels and also I was watching the Celtics/Pistons game last night). This was a road game (NOTE: The Celtics were playing on the road). I was staying in a house of a friend from my past (NOTE: No contact with these people in 12 years). I like my friend but his wife I always managed to endure and this was the case in the dream. I had lost ONE basketball shoe (NOTE: My brother is facing the problem with one leg/foot and it possibly being removed). In this dream I kept hunting all over the place for the lost shoe........bedroom....under the bed....in my suitcase.....downstairs in the hallway....in the living room.....in the closet......back up to the bedroom.....under the bed.....in my suitcase......downstairs in the hallway...in the living room...in the closet...etc. I would find OTHER shoes.....and other people's shoes, but not this one for my left foot (NOTE: my left foot bothered me when I was running last night and I thought it was caused by my shoe for that foot). Everywhere I went, my friend's wife would follow and keep making annoying comments (NOTE: This IS her normal problem). This dream just kept going on and on and repeating. Finally I woke up enough to go to my closet and pull out the pair of basketball shoes that I would use if I were still playing basketball and laid them beside me in my bed. THEN I was able to sleep for the rest of the morning.....(about 2 hours). I don't dream often, but when I do they are always doozies and something that I can explain or understand why they happened. I feel like the guy who dreamt he swallowed a giant marshmallow and when he woke, his pillow was gone. Have a nice day everyone. Sorry to hear of your loss Sarge. That is definitely difficult. OH.......and I had a good talk with my brother yesterday and read some of both Rindaroo and TomWhite's postings. He was encouraged with some of the thoughts. Joey
      Vista
        Sorry for your loss Sarge I was going to go for a couple recovery miles tonight but remembered it is graduation night for the school where I work. It will be a long night! Whoever decided that the day after a long weekend was a good day for graduation was not thinking straight. Undecided So I guess my first post marathon run will be tomorrow and that is probably OK because this morning my legs finally feel pretty good again. Still a little funny going down stairs but otherwise not bad. An extra day of rest will not kill me. I also need to get in a few miles before we head out on Sunday. We are going to San Antonio, TX for my sons graduation from Air Force basic training on the 6th and decided that New Orleans was (or could be) on the way Big grin So we decided to drive and make a week out of it before my busy season this summer. A nice trip with just my wife and I . We also found out there is a wedding planned after his graduation Surprised I am not really crazy about the timing but its their lives so I will be there to support them as they have requested. Great kids but with a lot on their plates right now. Have I forgotton what its like to be young and in love? I will use all the travel time to try to come up with a plan for my running. I am not sure exactly where to go from here. (any ideas would be appriciated) I would love to qualify for Boston and figure it will probably take a couple more marathons to get there so I probably will start training for a fall marathon sometime in June. I need to find a new schedule with more mid week miles and try to bring down my MP to 8:30s. good runs to everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Vista, funny dream story, did you really got up to get your shoe and put it by your side? perchcreek, great tempo run there. tim, you worked hard this weekend with the miles you ran and the biking you did. WTG man. holly, how is the new paiting in the kitchen coming along? CNYrunner, I love your avatar. Great run there girl. Good luck with coach Mary's treanning. What a fun weekend this was. I did a lot of yard work. I decided to start a new vegetable garden spot, so yesterday I spent most of day just playing in the dirt. I planted 12 plants of basil and 12 plants of tomaotes in the new garden. I will continue with the planting this afternoon after work. Got up at 4 this morning, went out for a run at 4:30 (the korean dinner I have last night at a friend's b-day party did not allowed me to sleep well last night, so I just got up and went for a run. Bul-go-gi, bul-dak, kim-chi chi- Gae and Gimbop was the menu) 5 seemenly effortless miles including 5 blocks of hills towards the end of the run. Have a great day everyone. Enjoy the gift.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Like many others here, I had intended to do more relaxing over the weekend, but ended up doing most of the yardwork chores on my standard spring to-do list. No running at all, but one long bike ride with my DW and another vigorous road bike workout ride on Sunday. Yesterday it hit mid-80s, but for tomorrow's run it could actually be in the 30s. I might have to violate my rule about "no long running pants after Memorial Day." Going by the experiences of WRFB, Bill, Tim, dg, and Tramps, it's a good thing I didn't run today because apparently it's "sluggish Tuesday" out there. At least a few of you managed to keep the pace up (can anything slow CNY down?). Tim - Why not ride the extra 4 miles to complete your "century"? Even counting the run leaves you at 99.5. Sarge, I'm very sorry for your loss. Old friends are always a very tough loss. Good running, everyone. I hope I have time today to read the last few dailies that I've missed.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

8 miles today with cement blocks tied to my running shoes. Ugh is right. Maybe we're just not used to the warm humid weather? Sunday was 12 miles, and yesterday a rest day. Not much of a holiday weekend around here. We found dear-old-dad in respiratory distress when we went to eat lunch with him on Sunday at the nursing home. The nurses quickly called 911 and I've been at the hospital with him ever since, except for short nights at home to get some sleep. He's got aspiration pneumonia, which is a typical complication of end-stage Parkinson's. He will probably pull through this incident, but his swallowing and coughing are very compromised, and this will begin to be a recurring scenario. On the advice of the doctor, we're going to get him out of the hospital and back to his familiar room and nursing staff as soon as he's stable enough, and then have no further transports to the hospital. We've been advised to begin hospice-type care, rather than aggressive treatment. Fortunately everyone is in agreement that this is the best approach, including dad. But I am hoping he'll pull through and be OK for awhile. We had planned to take him on a family reunion in October at a fabulous resort on the Chesapeake Bay. I've hired a private nurse for dad, and this was to be one last big adventure for him. We even chartered a sailboat to take him sailing. He was an avid sailor when he was younger. For his 91st birthday next week, I bought him a yachting cap that says "captain", and a pair of Sperry topsider deck shoes. It's good to see Tramps back! And I loved CNYRunner's story of granny and granny's sister. I'm still smiling, thinking of them drinking margaritas and dancing. Condolences to Sarge on the loss of your friend. Why does dg think it's fun to dig out an old jungle gym buried in cement? Productive? Yes. Fun? I can't imagine.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mariposai

Sorry to hear about your dad PDR. I hope and pray that he will be able to make it to the fun adventure you have scheduled for him for the fall. Butterfly hugs to you as you tend to his needs.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sarge, I add my condolences to everyone else's. What a huge loss. Predawnrunner, I'll be thinking about you and your family. I have a couple of close friends going through the same thing now with their fathers. One of the men has actually done really well, and lived for quite awhile. Today was the first HOT morning in Maine. 72 degrees and bright sun at 8 am! Shocked Quite an adjustment. My friend and I decided it was NOT the day to do our planned long run, so we scaled back and did 4.5 miles. Whew, it was hard. That's probably the farthest I've ever run in temperatures that warm, so I'm happy. I HATE HATE HATE hot weather, so I need to toughen up mentally to continue improving this summer. Fortunately, it is supposed to cool off tomorrow - high temp of 60! A better day for 11 miles. Have a good SHORT week!! Smile

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sorry to read about your friend Sarge. PDR - I hope you father is okay. {{{hugs to you and your family}}} For Sue - I need to get some better pictures with their eyes open. I was just too busy over the weekend - shame on me!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Sarge, sorry about your friend. I'm sure she'll keep running with your group in spirit. PDR, hope your dad recovers and hangs in there till the family reunion in October. My grandmother passed away not long after a family reunion when she was in her late 90's - it almost seemed that she'd been waiting for the reunion to see everyone one last time, then she was ready to go. My aunt was visiting with her one day, and she didn't want her lunch, and she went to bed for a nap. She never woke up. To me, that sounds like a nice way to go. Vista, sorry about your pillow. Big grin Halllar, hope you enjoy the trip to your son's graduation.Who's getting married - your son? All of you who did lots of yard work this weekend are making me feel like a slacker. It rained/hailed all day yesterday, so we just hung out inside. DD clobbered me at Monopoly! Haven't played that game in many years. This morning the ground looks all white because of the hail/slush mix, but the sky is clearing and I'm planning to get out for a longish run later, after it warms up a bit. It's still in the 30's. Tramps, welcome back! Now we just need Dark Horse...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - Why not ride the extra 4 miles to complete your "century"? Even counting the run leaves you at 99.5.
                        You know what Doug ...I used to be consumed with exactly what you asked. But I have rode soooo many centuries, it's not that big of a deal anymore to say I rode 100 miles...but guess I didn't realize at the time I would be .5 short adding my run Smile Also, sorry for your loss Sarge! OK Joey....time to wake up Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

I'll join the list of people who did sluggish runs today with my own 4.4 with the Saint on the dirt track. Sue, a bit of gardening work might have been just the thing after a marathon. Nice going. You get to bend and stretch and flex all those tired leg muscles, wonderful recuperative therapy. Spareribs
                            Sarge, I'm sorry. PDR--thinking of you and wishing you extra strength & energy. Sue, good to hear you had an excellent time in Vermont. (I had ice cream at the Expo around 9:30 am and then again after the race, yum!) hallar--congrats--will go immediately to find and read your RR. What part(s) of the country would you consider for a fall marathon? I'd be happy to suggest a few as I've run some here and there. MAry and other racers, am behind, so sorry--got my reading glasses on and comin' through asap. Looking forward! Holly's inspiring me to hit the gym today (if I can get the Ark on course--more rain here--my office is next to the fire management/emergency rescue folks and someone just went into the chief's office and said: "If this keeps up, you're going to be out of a job!") All I can remember about my dream was I was trying on an elaborate but airy necklace. Meanings, anyone? I remember I rather liked it, although not my usual style. grins, A
                            Masters 2000 miles

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning All. Tough getting back into the swing of things today. Sarge: Sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep you and your friends family in my prayers. PDR: I will also be praying for your father and you. Speed day for me today. 7x800m w/400m recovery. 1600m wu and 1200 cd. Total 7 miles in 1:04:47 (9:16/mile). 800's were: 4:01, 3:54, 3:52, 3:50, 3:52, 3:50, 3:51. Moving my mileage up to 46 miles this week. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hello people. Sarge - sorry to hear about your loss. No run yet today - but I had an interesting run on Saturday evening. I found a pocketbook along route 85 in Hebron, CT. Looked inside, and everything was in it - credit cards, license, money, glasses and checkbook. Imagine the hassle of replacing all those things. So I ran home with it (one of my neighbors saw me, and said it looked good with my outfit). I called the owner, and left a voice mail message. She called back, sounding quite relieved. She had left the pocketbook on her jeep, and had driven 10 miles before it fell off. They had been backtracking from Vernon (25 miles away) until it got dark - looking for the purse. She said she would be driving through town on Sunday morning (going to a parade in Colchester), so I gave her directions to my house for a rendezvous. When she showed up, PBJ Jr. wanted to give her the purse, so he proudly carried it outside to her. Her husband offered me a wad of cash as a reward, but I refused. Hey - I didn't do anything to earn their money. Then he told me about a similar incident where he had returned a wallet to a lawyer who had just moved in to the state. I guess it was good karma. Now if only the karma would work for me...