Masters Running

Back to work Tuesday, May 27 (Read 483 times)

evanflein

So nice to see Tramps posting! What's your running outlook there, SirTramps? Nice to see PBJ posting too, keeping the good Karma going with the Pay It Forward Plan... it may take time but I believe in it... Sue, did I miss your RR? (...or was that it?) Will go look again. Ice Cream after a marathon sounds wonderful (on a hot day)! Tim, that is one heckuva bike ride. Deb, good running, girl! How are you today after your longest run in quite some time? I agree with PDR... pulling the monkeybars wouldn't be high on my fun list. Condolences to Sarge, that's tough to lose a friend. I agree she'll probably be running with you in spirit. PDR, hope dad pulls through this one and can enjoy your reunion in October. I agree... sometimes it seems like they wait for some big event, then can let go. Who knows... I didn't get as much done in the garden as I wanted, but I guess that's ok. It was cold and windy a lot of the weekend, which is a bummer. Usually it's really nice here Memorial Day weekend. I got the bottom third of the garden ready and/or planted... beans and beets are in because I started soaking the seeds and they HAD to be planted. But it's cold enough that my beans may just rot in the ground. We could see lows in the 30's and possibly even snow this week! Shocked So I already told my boss I'll probably take part of the afternoon off to go finish up some things... namely covering my bean rows with plastic to warm them up! DH on his way home from Valdez with 20 lbs of halibut for the freezer... No running for me today. Might get out on my bike, might just work in the yard more. Gotta stay off the stoopid foot.
      When I just logged on, I realized that when I posted yesterday I posted on Sunday's thread. I thought about copying my post here but decided not to as it's back there even if on the wrong day. seemom, the Mars landing is a big deal. I can imagine your husband and the other's involved are really excited. spareribs, I well remember cards in the bike tires. vista, your story about the cards almost makes me want to cry. Jlynn, congrats in your AG placing in your race. nono, it sounds like you need a little down time to unwind. Take care of yourself. Sarge, I'm sorry about your friend. My thoughts are with her family and friends. dg, congrats on longest post injury run. SueT, good job on your marathon PR in new AG. PDR, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's condition and situation. My thoughts are with your family. hallar, it sounds like you've got a neat trip planned. Enjoy it. Nice long runs for Holly, Twocat, biketm, Peter, and PDR. Good job on the speedwork BC. This morning, the temp was in the low to mid 40s with some wind. I got in 7 miles in something under 1:09 for a 9:47 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      Tramps

So nice to see Tramps posting! What's your running outlook there, SirTramps?
        I need a good kick in the pants to get me motivated so it looks like I'll do a Fall marathon. Richmond for the 3rd time? Probably. It's a great race; closee, easy and cheap for me to do. I've also got Hartford in mind; my brother lives nearby and I could visit. We'll see. I'm tinkering with training plans this week...which is really why I sign up for races. Thanks for asking. Hope the foot's better soon.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sarge, sorry to hear about your friend, in perfect health too. PDR, I hope your Dad pulls through this. It sounds like you really try your best to make events fun for him. It was also humid here. But only about 58F, and completely overcast. I like it. I sweated like crazy today in the humidity. Yesterday it was 98% humidity at the time I started my run, so that gives you some idea. I drank over a litre of water/gatorade today during my run. I did 16 miles!!!, at a decent pace of 10:37 too, which might be a record for me, not sure, good thing for running logs! That fast older guy that I had tried to catch up to last week, well he was out there again today. We passed going opposite directions, but then about 35 minutes later we merged on a trail and I ran with him for about 0.7 of a mile. I really had to speed up, but the best part was my surprise that I could manage a conversation the whole time. In that short period of time, I think I got the guy's whole life story! He was quite fast when he was younger. It would be great to run with him again to push me into tempo speed, but I wonder if he is just too fit to waste his time pacing me. Oh, and the funniest thing he said was "well if you are going to run 16 miles today, you are really going to have to slow down". (no kidding, Einstein!). Vista, it is cool that your psyche is so transparent. Aamos, time to treat yourself to a new necklace. I can't remember dreaming last night, but our new cat was on the bed waking me up a lot. She almost fell out of the window in the bedroom and I remember waking up to rescue her in a dreamy-bleary state.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I can't remember dreaming last night, but our new cat was on the bed waking me up a lot. She almost fell out of the window in the bedroom and I remember waking up to rescue her in a dreamy-bleary state.
            1. Want to hear more about the new cat--name, cuteness quotient, etc. Yes 2. Jealous over open bedroom window: it is 41 and rainy still--our big thing to look forward to this evening is a fire in the fireplace! <shaking> A.</shaking>
            Masters 2000 miles
              Rest day today...actually resting till Friday when I begin my quest for a sub 17 minute 5K (shorter races for a while, although I will keep an LR on Sundays). Here is a picture from about 2-3K into Sunday's marathon. I thought it was a good one. I never thought of myself as a runner until I just saw this photo. What is striking to me about this group that I am running with is that everyone has that forward lean at the hips that is so important to running efficiently and fast. I am the tall guy of course and L is the only woman in the group. I guess I have come along in 4 years of running. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tall, I think Illeneforward would like that picture Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

Look again at that picture Tall. When you look at the total runner body from the side, part of what you are seeing is the trailing leg, which suggests that the body is leaning forward. There is no advantage to leaning forward in running, and in fact you don't see elite runners lean forward. Here is something else you should look at to get a sense of great form, which you and these other runners seem to have. You can drop a plumb line from the right ear, to the right shoulder, to the median of the hip. That is pure alignment of the body and excellent form. Ideally, you should "run tall", shoulders back and head on top of the shoulders, not craned forward. I like this form very much but I would not see this as leaning forward. Spareribs
                    For the cat lovers out there: We adopted a 4 year old, black short-hair domestic. She is extremely affectionate and acrobatic. She wants to cuddle and rub up to my face, eight times a night! We have one of those top/bottom split back doors (I forget what they are called). She jumped up onto the bottom half door, then up onto the top of the door yesterday, unbelievable! We adopted her from the Humane Society. They were only told of her sprained ankle she had last year by the previous owners, but then we received her full medical history in the mail after we adopted her. There were more problems than we expected. She has some kind of chronic allergy, so she tears a lot and rubs the fur off around her eyes. This has led to quite a few infections in that area. She is currently looking kind of pathetic around the eyes as a result. I would post a picture, but she is not that cute looking right now with the fur missing on her face. She is on a special hypoallergenic diet. I am taking her in for her complimentary vet visit tomorrow. I hope we can control her issues without a lot of visits to the vet (fingers crossed!). Oh, and she seems to be very smart!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Our elder statesman Spareribs is right!! I continue to learn from you Spareribs and you are correct. Thanks for clarifying for others. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Hot dog, Tall, you could make a pin-up poster out of that photo! If we ever put together a Boomer Gods calendar, you can have your pick of the months... Big grin Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Here she is: Formerly known as Cleo, now known as Tommy (even though she is a she). So I call her Tommy-Girl. Tall, nice and lean, I mean, nice lean!

dg.

Sue, you are amazing. 'pleasantly burned' by the end of the run! I'm so glad it went well. Hate to say this out loud so I'll type quietly.... maybe you're starting a new trend, well run races. Wink. SR, belated congratulations for your 12 miler! Joey, very funny (in all ways) dream. I'm very glad your brother was encouraged. I know it's hard. I have 2 brothers with type 1 diabetes and many problems. It's heartbreaking. The good thing is that both of them are trying harder now than they have in a long time. I hope for the best for your brother. Have I missed him, or has PJ not been around lately? I hope all is well. And I'm wondering how his young group of runners are doing after their relay... what a wonderful thing that was. PDR, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Your approach sounds very good. I hope your October plans work out. Please let him know we're pulling for him. um, re fun with cement. I never claimed to be normal. Wink. maybe it depends on your definition of fun... being outside & working hard & solving a problem. my favorites. how about 'satisfying'? ...also, (not sure if it came out wrong) I wasn't busting up cement. just digging up posts with the cement they were in. That would have crossed the line. And I did find my limit banging away on the rusty old bolts. Mary, look! your puppy is looking right at me. he wants me to pick her up. Carolyn, you're no slacker. rain & hail would have kept me in too. Monopoly with DD is important. Amy, neat dream. I agree with Enke. Sue, Telbs, Erika, thanks! Tom, it is sounding like your hamstrings are ok. yes? Erika, I'm sending warm vibes to your baby beans. I felt good today, thanks for asking. Hey. we should talk feet!! I've had what I think is the same thing for a long time. I can share what I've figured out, & you can tell me what the docs are saying. If you want, email me, dsmith956@hotmail.com. We can trade tips. Maybe after a glass or 2 of wine, we could trade photos. Shocked Wink. Enke, wtg! hugs to new kitty. good luck at the vet tomorrow. mta, she's beautiful. Tall, I agree with Perch.
                            wildchild

Carolyn

Well, the title of this thread is "back to work Tuesday" but I'm still unemployed between jobs. Can I still post? Cool The company I interviewed with last week emailed to say the president is out of town most of this week but they'll get back to me soon. Fingers crossed! Tall, I love the picture! And Spareribs, thanks for your comment about form. You're such a wealth of information! Erika, hope your stoopid foot feels better soon. Lucky you, you're getting halibut! Yummm. When we were in Homer when DD was about 4, she made up a cute little song, "We're going to the spit, to see the halibit!" Some folks overheard her and cracked up. Enke, nice job on the 16 miler and on keeping up with sir speedy! I'm sure he doesn't mind pacing you - otherwise why would he have paced you? Wink I had a bunch of errands to run in town today (groceries, Costco, Home Depot) so I took my running gear and did a tempo run in town. It's the first time in many weeks that I've run on relatively flat trails, and I felt FAST! There's one big hill in the first mile, then the rest is flat until that same hill coming down on the way back. I ran 6 miles in 56 minutes for a 9:20 avg pace. I think all this inescapable hill work from running in the mountains is greatly improving my fitness!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Waited until 7:15 this evening to get in my sluggish and sticky 2.5 miles and still had to face many H's: hilly, hot, humid home. At the tail end (I hope!) of a sinus infection, too, so this was definitely a "do it because you committed to this training plan" sort of run. Amazing that I could run 9 miles on Sunday and feel so good and barely made it past 2.5 this evening. Part of what makes running so interesting and addictive, I guess. Sarge - so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. SueT - betcha that Vermont teddy bear is super-special, especially when you ran the next day and "hardly felt like" you'd run a marathon the day before - yowzah! PDR - sorry to hear about your dad's deteriorating condition; hope he can hang in for the sailing trip, which sounds just wonderful; so good that your family and he are in agreement regarding his care PBJ - greta job on the handbag karma - especially for including your son in returning it to the owner enke - of course your cat is very smart, she's a cat, right? Wink And she's pretty darn cute, too. Wow, Wednesday already. Enjoy the rest of the week, all. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com