Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 2.8.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I got up at the usual time today, but we have a racewalking training session on the indoor track (yay!) at 9, so I had time to kill. Fed the cat, showered, made the coffee, checked and responded to email, checked Facebook (getting bored with FB), read the news, and then found an interesting video about the restoration of a door from a mill building that is being restored in a nearby town. Some of you will be totally bored, and that's OK. I love the idea of working with old wood, and watching a craftsman do some good restoration/repair. Now I have to pack my bag, stop at the local news stand to pick up the Saturday WSJ (which I may have time to read over the weekend), and then head to the track so I can get in some miles before the other folk arrive. I'll check back later.

Have fun!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay///////

44mprnb

with steps

.............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning,

Wimpy me went to treadmill at the gym for a great workout!  7.2 miles in 1:06:30 but 6.5 miles in 55 minutes between warm up and cool down walks. Could not have had a run that good on the roads.

Sorry to hear about Ribs, praying for a great recovery!

3 weeks away from the half marathon I am race director of, this weather is slowing down sign ups but they'll come around 

I remember the Beatles Ed Sullivan show appearance 50 years ago, I guess makes me old

Have a safe weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Jlynne

I remember the Beatles Ed Sullivan show appearance 50 years ago, I guess makes me old

Me too. George was always my favorite. Loved his music even better as he got older.  Good luck with your RD job, Sarge. Hopefully the weather will warm up by race day.

Did you have to dodge any ladies in the pool this morning Tom? I always have to look twice at your "mprnb" and then 'cipher it

Thanks for the nice recap Jay. Haven't had much time for posting lately.  Thanks to the Affordable Care Act my health insurance premiums went from $358/month to over $800. DH is on Medicare but I'm not old enough so I have a single policy. That $800+ still has a $5,000 deductible with no dental and a $30 co-pay every time I walk into a doctor's office. Needless to say, I'm shopping around for new insurance but I'm back to working two jobs to help cover costs. So much for retirement...

Ribs. My oldest brother had the seed implants around 8 years ago and he's doing great. Good luck to you, and here's another hug.

Hate to add another complaint about the weather, but it's been below zero every morning for nearly a month now. One of the major networks did a story last week about people suffering from "winter fatigue."  I'm a big time victim! 7.5 miles on the treadmill this morning followed with a 45 minute weight and core session with my favorite personal trainer.

Hope the weather is better where you are today.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Good luck to Tammy and David!  BTW...I think David is a lucky kid...not everybody has a mom like Tammy.

Jlynne--I'm with ya.  I am so dang sick of winter.  I'm even sicker of people telling me to "embrace it"...or whatever else they say to try to get me to deal with it.  NO!  I DON'T LIKE IT!  I WILL NOT PRETEND TO LIKE IT!  Okay...thanks...I feel much better...thank you.

In fact--the only thing keeping me going is the fact that, in 1 week, I will be in Naples, FL.  Do you know what the temperature in Naples, FL is right now?  Hold on...don't go away, I'll be right back...it's 75o...and sunny!  Do you know what it will be next Sunday during my marathon?  Hold on again...between 61 and 78!  It's 5o here, right now...and this is a warm day!

Okay--enough of that.

So--I skipped my run last night.  Eric called the day before and said he wanted to "hang out".  Well...it's not every day that Eric wants to spend time with me, so...I skipped my run and hung out with Eric.  We had a great time.  He texted me after and said he had fun and hopes we can do it again soon.  I didn't need to run.

Okay--I have a busy day ahead, so I'd better get going.  One of those things is to find 3 replacements to do the Church Drama tomorrow.  The 3 other other people I have doing them with me all called to tell me they were not going to be available.  Fun.

...just showed Claire the AvengerDoggie Pictures>>>>>>>>>>She Loved 'Em

but

wanted to know if Honey had a jacket too

eta-

oops,,,,,,,I put ''440'' instead of ''44''.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

I'm back.

Nice workout, TomW.

I'm glad you had a good TM workout, Sarge. Good luck with your half registrations. Yep, I also remember those Beatles guys on the Ed Sullivan show. Wasn't that a time?

So sorry about the added insurance costs, Jlynne. My DW also has a single policy, and isn't at all happy about the cost - although that happened pre-ACA.

I'm glad you and Eric had such a good time hanging out together, Mike. And I'm glad the weather in Naples next week will be a little more to your liking.

4 RW miles on the track (indoors, in shorts!) before the crew showed up, and then another 1/2 mile or so with a couple of newbies. One young woman came for the first time today. She has 2-3 sprint tri's she'd like to do this year, but a lower back problem makes running painful. So she wants to racewalk the running segments. For a first timer, she did pretty well. In a few more sessions, we'll have her getting competitive with some of our other women racewalkers.

Now I'm off to dealing with some insulation issues...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Jlynne--I'm with ya.  I am so dang sick of winter.  I'm even sicker of people telling me to "embrace it"...or whatever else they say to try to get me to deal with it.  NO!  I DON'T LIKE IT!  I WILL NOT PRETEND TO LIKE IT!  Okay...thanks...I feel much better...thank you.

In fact--the only thing keeping me going is the fact that, in 1 week, I will be in Naples, FL.  Do you know what the temperature in Naples, FL is right now?  Hold on...don't go away, I'll be right back...it's 75o...and sunny!  Do you know what it will be next Sunday during my marathon?  Hold on again...between 61 and 78!  It's 5o here, right now...and this is a warm day!

;Mike, Marj and I ran the half in Naples 2 years ago and loved it. Well organized races and WARM! Enjoy.

Today I'm "embracing winter" by getting my ice skates sharpened and attempting a short skate at an indoor rink. I haven't skated for 2 years. Hope i can still do it.

Yesterday I ran 6 miles, my longest in many months. My troublesome knee seems to do well when I run every other day.

We spent several days at our son and daughter in law's trying to be helpful after his arthroscopic hip surgery.  They seemed to appreciate our being there and we got to hang out with our grandson while we were at it.  Tom, jr did some hobbling around on his crutches and doesn't seem to be in much pain.  We'll go back Monday evening for our normal Tuesday babysitting day which will include getting junior to the doctor for the follow up visit.  He hopes to be cleared to drive and go back to work Wednesday.  The roughest part of the visit was shoveling his driveway.  When we got there, we couldn't get the car in the driveway.  This old guy is not used to an hour and a half of steady snow shoveling.

I did a quick skim of the posts that occurred while I was gone.  ribs, my thoughts are with you as you continue to study your options and then get the chosen treatment.

Nice long runs for NHLA, Holly, wild, CNY, and mari.

Running wasn't a priority the last few days.  As Mike said about hanging out with Eric, sometimes running isn't important.  I did get in 3 miles on the TM at the kids place.  I'm convinced that the incline on their TM is out of calibration.  I set it at 1% and it felt like I was going up a steep hill.  I put it a 0% and it wasn't much better.  When I got done, I found a short level (7" maybe) and, at the 0% setting, the belt was about 3/16" from level in the length of that level.  This morning, back at home, I did 8 miles on my TM at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Those treadmills are all different, aren't they, Tom. I don't like the treadmills at the gym, or at most hotel fitness centers (although the room being too hot is usually a factor in both situations), but I like mine. Probably means mine is mis-calibrated to be too easy. Oh well, it works for me! Glad to hear your son is doing well, and you got some grandbaby time!

Jay, that's great that you do those RW clinics. Not only do you get to workout indoors, but you help a lot of people do something that probably isn't easy to figure out on your own.

Jlynne, did you use one of those "navigator" services to find your plan? I've heard some who use those services find really good deals usually. Hope you can find something better.

Mike, hang in there! It's -18 in town here this morning, and we'll see -20's tonight and continued cold into next week. So that must mean things will warm up for you, right? Have fun in Naples, and that is so cool that you and Eric got to hang out together.

Hi Sarge! I hope you get the sign ups rolling in soon. Three weeks out is getting pretty close (and see note to Mike above about it should warm up soon!).

tw, sometimes I think Claire and Annabelle would have fun with Avenger Doggie and Honey. What a party that would be!

Ok, I've got a ton of things to do around the house today. One of those things will be a run on the treadmill, but probably not longer than an hour (~7 miles). I've already run 30.5 miles thru Friday, so hitting my goal of 40 should be pretty easy, even inside. One thing we've had in abundance this year so far is bright clear sunny skies, and today is no exception.

janie b good

lots of nice TM runs today!  I also went to the gym, tho only 3.3 TM miles for me!  I have a horrible headache today that I can't seem to shake ... my H has a bad head cold, so I hope it's not a sign that I'm coming down with a cold.

Naples sounds divine.  I'll be in Ft Lauderdale in 3 weeks.  bring.it.on.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – wow, talk about sticker shock!   Not much that is “Affordable” about that…

Mike – I, too, am sick of the cold, and we haven’t even had it as bad as you up there. I don’t mind you speaking your mind about it. I will say that I can see a definite change in the brightness of the sun, so I know that spring is coming…and I love that you skipped a run to visit with Eric. You are an awesome dad!

Henry – every other day is still a lot of runs, very nice!

Another TM run for me today. It was 7 degrees outside but I didn’t have enough time for the layering up, etc. to get much of a run in before DD’s early basketball game.

4.2 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...after complaining about how sick I am of the cold, I went outside for my 8 miler, today.  Mainly because, the last time I checked, my marathon will be run outside next week. Anyway...it was overcast and 12o.  I checked the weather right before I went out and it said the wind was SSE--which meant I would have it slightly in my face going out for 3 miles--at my back for a mile--then in my face for a mile--then slightly at my back for the last 3 miles.  Nope--it was fine going out and in my face the whole way coming back--I'm not sure why.  My hands froze.  I still don't like this winter.

Okay--that's it.

King of PhotoShop

I have this very old idea that has always worked for me and that is if I can run 30 miles on a weekend, I'm in good endurance shape. Not speed shape, like for a fiveK, but good for any long stuff.  So yesterday I ran 8+ miles and then today set out to do 22, and I nailed it, with the final mile as my fastest. It amazed me how easy it was to do.

So this tells me that if the weather is good I will sign up for the Cowtown ultra on 2/23, a 50K on the streets of Ft. Worth. Ugh, but it is what it is.  Last year I did this race for my first and so far only ultra and although I ran it slowly (5:16), I won my AG by 23 minutes. I'll certainly run it even slower this year but I feel like doing it.

Weather was perfect today. Overcast and low 30's, no wind.

My youngest took the ACT test today and said he didn't think he did well.  Last week he took the SAT and when I asked him how he did he said "I think I missed one on the math part."  Hard to figure him out.   Spareribs

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Need a little help with a Valentine's Day poem:

I once fell in love with Michelle.

she  is really super swell.

I made her my wife

We're together for life.....

Now I'm stuck.

Without her, I'd be back in a padded cell.

Believe me on this. Dad's a little different.

I would like to go run run run at your race, Sarge.

MikeE..I pretend that all the snow is just like ice cream!!! I can add a flavor if you want.

Honey gots three jackets. But only one good shirt. She had this on today because dad said it was -6F when we got ready to go on new trails. What is -6F mean anyway???

Actually, Dad made me have a shirt and a coat on too!! Then he put goop on our feet so snow does not get in our toes.

we are so ready to GO!!! Mom and Dad had to put snowshoes on. Snowshoes is funny. Why ever heard of such a thing?

Honey needs to be on a leash because Dad says she listens like Mom.

I would get off the trail and the snow was as all the way up to where I had my operation.

Dad does get all smiley when he sees Mom.

Sometimes the snow was like going swim swim swim. This is great fun. MikeE and Holly should try it when they are wearing just a shirt and coat.

Honey wanted what ever was in the snow cave there.

A deer!! We saw lots of them and I had to keep Mom and Dad safe. They are both big big scaredy babies.

This is hard work

There are two birds sitting on top of the river. That is so weird. These birds are called "loons". I named one "Ultra" and the other "Half Mary". One the other side of the river, there is a stream that turned into ice.

Sniffing Butts, Tag